• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Gotta point out that most people excited (not just on the forums) for these games are under the impression that either it's a glorified spin-off or that gen VIII will be ambitious in addition to not keeping the Go features.

I miss you already wild Pokémon battles.
That's what Gamefreak said.

For the record, our own neighborhood source for all our Pokemon info, bulbapedia, draws the clear definitive dinstinction between what is and isn't a core series game. These games also classifies as Gen 7 games.

Pokémon games - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

For the record, I can make the core series distinction even simpler: if the game has a Pokemon League Challenge, it's core series. The closest we saw to this not happening was the Alola games but obviously it was "built" by the time we completed the Island Challenge. We've never seen the Elite Four + Champion style Pokemon League used in anything but what is clearly defined as core series games.

Even so, games that otherwise function with core series-style battle are seen as "side series" games, and games that function entirely different altogether are outright spin-offs. So anybody who called these spin-offs for even a moment were just blatantly misinformed, they'd be side series at worst, which it's clear they're core series.

Let's Go titles weren't prepared like, let's say, Generation VII or VIII.
As Masuda said, these titles have been in development for only two years, it is just a response to the Pokémon GO success.

While I do understand people concerns, they promised a core old style RPG title for next year. I don't get what's so bad for trying something a little bit different. Is not like this is the future of the whole franchise.

For the record, I can make the core series distinction even simpler: if the game has a Pokemon League Challenge, it's core series. The closest we saw to this not happening was the Alola games but obviously it was "built" by the time we completed the Island Challenge. We've never seen the Elite Four + Champion style Pokemon League used in anything but what is clearly defined as core series games.

That's a nice thought, but there is a problem with trying to nail down any "defining" criteria: As soon as Game Freak decide to break away from tradition and do something different, you're forced to recalculate. "Whenever new Pokémon are introduced" stood strong as an easy, definitive guideline for dividing generations for 20 years, but then USUM came along. Four weirdos and a cat were all it took to undo two decades of precedent. So in a sense, the "definitive" criteria we come up with isn't really "definitive" at all - it's more like a vote of confidence that this particular trend in the games is the one that is most essential. Same for telling "core series" games apart from non-core series games. Until now, battling with wild Pokémon was an essential component. There certainly could be a future timeline in which Game Freak decide to make a core series game that features something completely unlike the League challenge, even more so than the Alola games.

We'll end up getting both versions eventually, if not to start. In LG Eevee, I'll probably run with the theme and (with a lot of trading, if that's what it requires) have Eevee, Flareon, Jolteon and Vaporeon, then two others to round things out. Those will be decided later. LG Pikachu, I will probably go more for things that I don't normally use.

I really look forward to playing with the Pokeball Plus, perhaps most of all. I used to go everywhere with my pokewalkers (and still do, occasionally) and this seems to be a natural extension of that idea.

For the record, our own neighborhood source for all our Pokemon info, bulbapedia, draws the clear definitive dinstinction between what is and isn't a core series game. These games also classifies as Gen 7 games.
Good for Bulbapedia, but they're fans like us. These games have officially been referred to as core RPGs, but the term "Generation [ ]" is unofficial. Since these games are incompatible with SM and have different mechanics (which also affect training) and far fewer Pokemon, to label them under Generation VII is silly.

A new fan term is needed here. "Let's Go sub-series" would be my choice.

Good for Bulbapedia, but they're fans like us. These games have officially been referred to as core RPGs, but the term "Generation [ ]" is unofficial. Since these games are incompatible with SM and have different mechanics (which also affect training) and far fewer Pokemon, to label them under Generation VII is silly.

A new fan term is needed here. "Let's Go sub-series" would be my choice.

It’s not a sub-series though. It’s a remake by any definition of the word remake. It doesn’t introduce a new region or Dex so it probably can’t classify as Gen 8, but it’s on a new system which could classify it at Gen 8, then again, GS were technically for the GB while Crystal was for the GBC. Additionally, it’ll probably receive Bank compatibility eventually which could tie it to Gen 7 or Gen 8 in the future. At this point it’s indisputable that it’s a core series game, as it was developed as one, but it is, in my opinion, not tied to a generation in the way games have typically been tied to one, yet.

Until now, battling with wild Pokémon was an essential component.

I would disagree with that statement, as wild encounters are not at all required to advance through gameplay besides forced ones and, in the past, HM slaves. Many people including myself just repel our way through the latter 90% of the game once we can afford them in bulk.

Also, the Safari Zones function more closely to what LGPE have than what past main series games had as far as how wild encounters are handled, so you could say that all that has really happened is Safari Zone rules now apply everywhere.

It’s not a sub-series though. It’s a remake by any definition of the word remake. It doesn’t introduce a new region or Dex so it probably can’t classify as Gen 8, but it’s on a new system which could classify it at Gen 8, then again, GS were technically for the GB while Crystal was for the GBC. Additionally, it’ll probably receive Bank compatibility eventually which could tie it to Gen 7 or Gen 8 in the future. At this point it’s indisputable that it’s a core series game, as it was developed as one, but it is, in my opinion, not tied to a generation in the way games have typically been tied to one, yet.
Do you really see them updating these games to have all the other Pokemon? At best, Bank compatibility would entail being able to transfer them to the next generation.

We don’t know if they’re going to be more Let’s go games.
For all we know it’s a one-off thing.
And how likely do you think that is? The trailer already has 5 million views on YouTube and the games are leading the chart on Amazon. They'll probably sell better than ORAS and that's reason enough to continue them.

I would disagree with that statement, as wild encounters are not at all required to advance through gameplay besides forced ones and, in the past, HM slaves. Many people including myself just repel our way through the latter 90% of the game once we can afford them in bulk.

I think you're overgeneralizing there, but more importantly, I never said that battling wild Pokémon was required. I said it was an essential component. There's a difference. Catching Pokémon is also an essential component of the games, but you're not required to do that, either (with the exception of the box mascots in BW/XY/SM or Rayquaza in ORAS, and amusingly, those are all later games in the series so technically they'd be breaking the precedent).

I'm just classing these as "Soft Spin-Off", "Mechanical AU", "Side-Main", or "Experimental".

Aw, I never got to show off my planned team! I'm running Eevee, Wigglytuff, Clefable, A-Exeggutor, Omastar, and Gengar. And my Eevee will be named Woozle. -w-

Something I was calculating last night: If the given Eevee has Adaptability and you get a Silk Scarf somewhere in the game, it's curtains for every trainer you use Return on. A possibility that doesn't involve a new item, but let's see what they give us.

As for my team, this is interesting. I've played through the Kanto games and I don't want to use any repeats from my plays of Red, Yellow, or LeafGreen. Pidgey for sure is something I never want to see again, though; I think I've trained 4 in my lifetime and that's 3 too many, BARRING they give us Pidegeotite.

I might honestly come up with a team on the fly for the first time since FireRed hilariously. I've played Kanto a lot, but there are a bunch of mons I've yet to use yet (especially since I tended to repeat a lot back then). I guess whatever happens will happen based on which mons I haven't used yet.

I have to admit that I really do like the over-world concept of these games in regards to actually seeing Pokemon in the wild. It makes everything seem so much more... alive.

If these games prove popular enough, perhaps their concept will replace the traditional remakes we've had in the past. Not really expecting LGPE to be story focused, but I wish that it would at least take a few cues from Origins or Generations.

Is this the first time a spin off game has got a section?

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom