• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

Watch them be exclusive to local trade and in-game trades to adhere to the 'spirit of the original games'...

I would be fine if we could get stuff like Golem and Machamp through in-game trade, actually, as I don't have local friends who could help me with that. Besides, can't you actually get a Machamp in the original Yellow game?

I would be fine if we could get stuff like Golem and Machamp through in-game trade, actually, as I don't have local friends who could help me with that. Besides, can't you actually get a Machamp in the original Yellow game?

I think there'll be in-game trades for them. I don’t know if we can actually get a Machamp in Yellow though.

Ccompleting the Dex is more of a worry for me, seeing there are going to be version exclusives. Transfer from GO could help to a degree, but all I have from Kanto is lots of Geodude, Growlithe and Rhydon.
There are going to be issues about geographical availability if people want to complete their Dex with GO- which is the only possibility if you don’t buy either Nintendo's Online Service or another switch console with the opposite version.

More bad news:

No GTS+Wonder Trade and Nintendo Switch Online service required to access online features.

I prepared myself to like and enjoy these games, and for GameFreak to provide more reasons for me to buy these games at launch.
They’re making a lot of effort in the opposite direction.

This is a major dealbreaker for me- There is a huge chance that I cannot complete the Pokedex since there’s is no one near me with a Switch, let alone a Pokemon fan.

Wow that kind of settles it. then these really are just going to be a short little side distraction. An unsatisfying apatazer while we wait for the main course that is gen 8 in 2019.
Im in similar boat to you. No one near me plays pokemon. I hope we can trade online still with friends not just locally sonehow.

Anything online would require a subscription...

There goes my positive outlook on these games *sigh* :unsure:
I planned on getting the subscription anyway, since I play splatoon, and am looking forward to smash and the price seems ok to me.
Having said that. With pokemon now having to pay now when we used to get it free and we dont even get the biggest online features of the 3ds games? Its madness

I planned on getting the subscription anyway, since I play splatoon, and am looking forward to smash and the price seems ok to me.
Having said that. With pokemon now having to pay now when we used to get it free and we dont even get the biggest online features of the 3ds games? Its madness
Totally agreed - this is making me totally rethink whether I should get these games. I haven't even got a Switch yet so I might just buy the Switch and wait for Gen 8.

Honestly, I think you would have had to pay for the subscription service for online features even if we got the "real" games, so I don't see an issue with the paid service unless you wanted to get it at a later point.

The issue is, we're paying for less features than we had when it was free.
Atleast the 2019 games will have the GTS and battle spot which would be worth paying for.

By the way, what exactly are we paying for in LGPE 'online'? Literally almost all features of the usual Pokémon online experience have been removed.

How do the transfers take place between Pokémon GO and LGPE? I hope it’s not through internet online.... *groan*

I loved the features, but I don't mind the lack of GTS or Wonder Trade considering there's just 151.

How do the transfers take place between Pokémon GO and LGPE? I hope it’s not through internet online.... *groan*

Didn't the trailer showed the player(s) connecting the Switch and their phone? I doubt it'd require the Switch's online service.

Didn't the trailer showed the player(s) connecting the Switch and their phone? I doubt it'd require the Switch's online service.

That’s a relief then. I was afraid since Nintendo's Online app requires the online service and tjeu might take the same direction with LGPE and GO...

This isn’t a dealbreaker for me because I rarely use those features anyway. The GTS is and has always been much better in theory than in execution, and Wonder Trade is fun but not essential. The Battle Spot...meh. I don’t do too much online battling anyway.

Having said that, I do have to wonder why Game Freak seems to be so joyfully talking about all the nifty little mainstay features of the franchise that they’re removing for these games. It sounds like a horrible pr decision to both remove all these features and be so forthcoming about removing them.

This isn’t a dealbreaker for me because I rarely use those features anyway. The GTS is and has always been much better in theory than in execution, and Wonder Trade is fun but not essential. The Battle Spot...meh. I don’t do too much online battling anyway.

Having said that, I do have to wonder why Game Freak seems to be so joyfully talking about all the nifty little mainstay features of the franchise that they’re removing for these games. It sounds like a horrible pr decision to both remove all these features and be so forthcoming about removing them.
I'm not much of a battler myself but I do like to get involved, however, there is a large proportion of players who love to play competitive. I think that removing the Battle Spot was a bad idea tbh.

I think I know why its like this. They want to keep a GTS for USUM up, and dont want to make a seperate one for LGP or maybe they just cant maintain 2 at once because they lack the servers. They cant share a GTS since LGP only has kanto mon and possibly other restrictions. Once gen 8 cones out, GTS on 3ds will likely be phased out for the switch games, just like how the service isnt available for DS games anymore

I'm not much of a battler myself but I do like to get involved, however, there is a large proportion of players who love to play competitive. I think that removing the Battle Spot was a bad idea tbh.
Oh, I agree with the complaints. They just don't affect me, personally.

I feel the same way. While I don't use those features a whole lot either, I prefer they stay around for people who do.

I think we shouldnt define LGPE as a casual oriented game before we have more concluding info. Yes, it seems likely that they are streamlining some aspects like catching Pokemon, and EVs/ IVs to make them more acessible for Go players (casuals). But we shouldnt take this as a sign that they will streamline all other core aspects of Pokemon games as well.

Yes, it looks likely that things like Natures, Abilities and Level Up may be streamlined/removed, but it is not a fact yet. For all we know, all those core aspects may remain unchanged, which would really make this game close in nature to your typical core series Pokemon release. That is my personal hope. That aside from those few Go- oriented mechanical changes, all other mechanic will remain unchanged.

This is how the official website defines LGPE:

Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! bring the experience of a classic Pokémon RPG to Nintendo Switch with gameplay that is easily approachable for newcomers to the series, but is also deep enough to keep veteran Trainers on their toes.

Sure, this could be simple PR talk to make us hardcore fans buy this game. But what if this is true, and the game is balanced for both casuals and long term fans? For me, the battle mechanics is the heart and soul of this franchise. For now, only catching Pokemon has been confirmed to be casualized, we have no info about battle mechanics being streamlined yet. If they later confirm battle mechanics are streamlined too, then I will be the first one to bash this game. But for now, I think there is still some hope.

Last edited:
So, now I’m just confused. In the translation of the Q&A session that’s up on the official site, they’re asked about whether or not they’ll use the upcoming Switch online service for LGPE, and Ishihara says that they have no current plans to use that service. So what is going on here?

(Not that this affects me personally - I don’t really use the online features anyway. But I’d still like to know what the heck their line of thinking is here.)

Personally, the best news I've heard out of these games is that they're getting rid of IV's. I've hated those things from the very moment they were introduced. Like, I get the idea of wanting to make every Pokemon unique, but in execution, they went against everything the franchise was purported to stand for. They encouraged breeding for a perfect Pokemon, dumping the other imperfect Pokemon/trading them away as though they were garbage, boxing the team that you spent so much time with during your adventure in favor of genetically superior offspring, etc. Not to mention it made it that much harder for new players to jump into the competitive battle scene. I hated, hated, hated everything about it.

And sure, Gen VII made it so you could cap the Pokemon's IV's, but you needed rare items for that, plus the Pokemon needed to be level 100 before it even mattered (which wouldn't have been a problem, except these games use the absolutely atrocious EXP system of Gen V.)

Anyway, IV's being gone is a wonderful thing to hear. Natures, Abilities, and EV's....eh. I didn't mind those as much, but I won't exactly miss them, either. Provided they're only gone for this game. I want them back in the 2019 games. But IV's can get jettisoned into the sun for all I care.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom