• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

How do the transfers take place between Pokémon GO and LGPE? I hope it’s not through internet online.... *groan*

What I heard was that it would be through bluetooth.

I feel the same way. While I don't use those features a whole lot either, I prefer they stay around for people who do.

I feel like they're not so much "removing" these features from LGPE, as they are deciding not to add them in this installment...if that makes sense. Since these games are effectively functioning as remakes of Yellow with features from GO, and many of the people who initially picked up Pokemon Go (excluding fans like myself/others who have been keeping up with every game) may not have played since Gen 1, I feel like they wanted to keep things more simplistic and familiar for that audience. I'm sure they're keeping these features for the core games next year.

I think we shouldnt define LGPE as a casual oriented game before we have more concluding info. Yes, it seems likely that they are streamlining some aspects like catching Pokemon, and EVs/ IVs to make them more acessible for Go players (casuals). But we shouldnt take this as a sign that they will streamline all other core aspects of Pokemon games as well.

There's no way they would remove these features for future releases...that would probably be the worst business decision they could make at this point. There are way too many competitive players for that to be on the table.

For these games, on the other hand, I think it could go either way. I do think they want to keep it more approachable for new players and people who are returning because of the draw back to Gen 1. However, IVs were a factor then, and they're still technically a factor in GO...so I'm assuming they plan on retaining all of those things for this release, just more of a "bare bones" version in comparison to what we're used to on the 3DS.

If you think about it, LGPE make a lot of sense from GF's point of view -- it obviously appeals to players of GO by expanding on all the concepts of that, adding many of the features we were promied (co-op, battles, potentially trading, etc); but it also does this while being a first gen reboot (which, for whatever reason, people have been asking for) and like others have said...it serves as a bridge between that and the handheld games, which at this point are arguably not similar enough to each other on their own to draw in the "casual" crowd. There are a lot of people still playing GO who haven't touched a main series game for generations, and this could potentially be the push they need to cross that bridge. It also serves as the first Pokemon game (that isn't a port) on the Switch, so it gives fans something to play while they wait for the next gen/encourages people who don't already have one to buy a Switch a year earlier than they would otherwise. It also gives people who haven't kept up time to get accustomed to the battling/RPG aspects that are a staple to the franchise, and potentially bring them back into the current gen.

Now I think you're just letting the wrong things pass for the sake of correctness. It doesn't matter if you get those features back, you're still paying more out the butt for what you used to get for free. Be mad about that.

It's not like they are gone forever. As I have already stated, the proper RPG game is released next year. This is a game intended to ease new players/GO players into the main game series. Plus, you don't even know if more Pokémon will be available later on, or if this is the first of a new series of games, with the next one bringing in Gen II Pokémon, etc. So if I were you, I'd keep that specific complaint to a minimum, until after we have more information on what is actually happening here.

Wait

So we shouldn't complain because they're gonna release £60 games with the other rosters? that's a lot of expensive DLC.

"want the full current roster? go buy 7 games for full price :)"

Its only 20 a year though. That also gets you all the other multiplayer experiences and their NES netflix. I know im using it for pokemon, splatoon, mariokart, smash, mario tennis, and a possible new starfox from rare. So divide 20 by 5 or 6 games and its only like an extra few dollars a game. Paid online is standard for the other consoles and at a higher cost.
Though if your switch will just be a pokemon machine and you don't care about the NES collection, then I could see getting annoyed I guess though.

The Switch should've had paid online from day 1, not 2 years later.

Theoretically they should also double the price. They prob will eventually.

Wait

So we shouldn't complain because they're gonna release £60 games with the other rosters? that's a lot of expensive DLC.
They remove 90% of the roster for every generation. This isn't new.

When Ruby and Sapphire first came out, they removed the vast, vast majority of Kanto/Johto Pokemon. They removed the entire roster from Black and White. Sure, some of the old Pokemon were catchable in the post-game --and with the benefit of hindsight, the Gen III blow is downright meaningless-- but we knew none of those things by the time the first trailers/first bits of info were revealed. I don't recall people complaining about roster removal at any of those points, and I've been with the franchise since the beginning.

My point here is twofold:

1. they remove the vast majority of the roster for every new game/gen in the franchise, only to reintroduce them little by little later. We have no confirmation that the same won't happen with LGPE. Even if LGPE only have access to the original 151, there's no reason they can't pull a reverse FRLG or an HGSS and retroactively add the rest in a later installment with backwards compatibility. My point is that removing a majority of the roster is not a new thing at all, and complaining about it at this very moment just sounds like fishing for things to hate on because you don't like the game's central conceit to begin with.

2. Them removing the roster is not a strong excuse for complaining that these games don't deserve to be full priced games. Like I said above, this isn't new.

NOW, you could argue that the reason it didn't bother people in previous gens was because they were also introducing new Pokemon to get excited about while LGPE isn't, but I would then counter by pointing out that that's a completely different complaint only tangentially related to the idea of roster removal and that roster removal and roster additions are two separate (albeit not intrinsically exclusive) things. Your complaint seems to be about not having access to Pokemon from Gens II-VII, however. Not about the lack of Gen VIII Pokemon.

I don't recall people complaining about roster removal at any of those points, and I've been with the franchise since the beginning.

So am I. I'm in my mid 20s. I've played literally every game. You don't remember the rampant hatred for gen 3 for not having Kanto Pokemon, or the rampant hatred for gen 5 removing all but the dudes from gen 5? gen 3 was the most hated for a long time till gen 5 arrived and it was cool to hate on gen 3/5 whilst loving the rest. To this day people still hate on gen 5 even though IMO it's the best gen

They still wernet "removed" though. If you tried hard enough you could get the others into the game easily. I don't really care about having everything during the story, cuz the other games let you migrate over and get everything. I like to use new dudes in the story. If this game was "only 151 during the story, you can get the other 700 later" then cool, but it's not. And paying full price for 7 more games to fill the roster doesn't count lmfao

Gen 5 was despised. So much so they releases the sequel and tripled the dex to shut people up and have spammed Kanto since

So am I. I'm in my mid 20s. I've played literally every game. You don't remember the rampant hatred for gen 3 for not having Kanto Pokemon, or the rampant hatred for gen 5 removing all but the dudes from gen 5? gen 3 was the most hated for a long time till gen 5 arrived and it was cool to hate on gen 3/5 whilst loving the rest. To this day people still hate on gen 5 even though IMO it's the best gen

They still wernet "removed" though. If you tried hard enough you could get the others into the game easily. I don't really care about having everything during the story, cuz the other games let you migrate over and get everything. I like to use new dudes in the story. If this game was "only 151 during the story, you can get the other 700 later" then cool, but it's not. And paying full price for 7 more games to fill the roster doesn't count lmfao

Gen 5 was despised. So much so they releases the sequel and tripled the dex to shut people up and have spammed Kanto since

I'm in my late 20's. I recall those times well. Gen V was lauded by both critics and fans as being --to this day-- the best the franchise has to offer. I, personally, disagree and think they are the weakest games in the franchise, but I recall nothing but excitement for the new Pokemon when they were announced.

Gen III was hated --not for the lack of Kanto/Johto Pokemon-- but for the lack of backwards compatibility. Again, a problem that is connected to the complaint, but not the same as the complaint.

And at any rate, none of this actually matters because you have just proven my point. Both Gen III and Gen V included all of the Pokemon in the roster in various ways. Whether it was post-game content, side-games (like Colo and XD) or later games within the same Gen that can connect to those. History has taught us that Game Freak isn't really axing all the other Pokemon. So what's the big deal?

If you're fine with buying 7 Lets Go games to get the full roster then that's fine
Meh. I bought Sapphire, LeafGreen, and Colosseum. So why not?

And who's to say they're only going to connect with other Let's Go games? Hell, at this point the assumption that there will be other Let's Go games is just that; an assumption. Just like you're jumping to the conclusion that the Let's Go games won't be able to connect with the 2019 games or that they won't be able to access PokeBank. This is all stuff you are putting on the games that nobody has confirmed yet. Personally, I'm going to wait until they do before jumping to conclusions, myself.

I bet instead of remake we get a lets go version for gen 4. Doubt we get one for each gen though

these games are effectively functioning as remakes of Yellow with features from GO, and many of the people who initially picked up Pokemon Go (excluding fans like myself/others who have been keeping up with every game) may not have played since Gen 1, I feel like they wanted to keep things more simplistic and familiar for that audience.

Except that the GO fanbase’s biggest demand with PoGo has been a GTS-like system so I don’t know how would they prefer their LGPE games being devoid of online trading.

Lacks GTS? Another point in the spinoff column.

You’re right. Gens 1-3 are spinoffs

I didn’t know that having the GTS was a requirement to be classified as a core series title.

Last I checked, all you had to do was journey with a starter and a Pokedex, battle gyms (or island trials), defeat an evil team, and challenge a Pokémon League.

That’s how you define a core series game.

Not wild encounters.

Not GTS.

Not even gyms.

But modern fans define things however they want. Sorta reminds me of the problem we have in the world where people think there’s hundreds of genders. Definitions don’t matter in 2018, that much has become clear, and it doesn’t matter in what context.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom