• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be weird to introduce regional variants for Sinnoh in a remake game. Gen 4 already got several evolutions for Pokemon from the previous 3 gens (Porygon Z, Gallade, Froslass, Electivire, Magmortar, etc.). I kinda like to those evolutions are the equivalent for "variants", just that they are evolutions. Gen 5 got 151 Pokemon in BW that were all brand new and the only Pokemon in the Dex for BW, Gen 6 had ME in both XY and ORAS, and Gen 7 had alola formes. I like to think that Sinnoh remakes will just expand upon whatever Pokemon form/evolution gimmick that will be in the new region for Gen 8.

I never liked the idea of Flygon being a Bug-type. It seems too boring. Ditto with Yanmega being a Dragon-type, because there's noting draconic about its design, and it only makes sense in English. In Japan, the animals associated with dragons are seahorses.

Well to be fair, Bug/Dragon is a combination we still have yet to see. And I’m all for fire type variants, especially if they give us the fire/fairy, fire/ice, and fire/Grass combos we’ve been waiting for.

I want GF to go further than ORAS and be more creative. They can make sequels or even remake Platinum while splitting it into two versions (like at LGPE). I don't want Cynthia doing mostly nothing like in DP (which I haven't played, only Platinum). A remake should be an update, not just remaking an old region with new graphics. While they will mostly have to stick to the original story for it to be a remake, they can add some elements to it.

People say that of all the remakes, ORAS sticks to the original the most, but I think it's the other way around. HGSS were faithful to the originals TO A FAULT. I once spent a week fruitlessly searching for a Yanma on Route 35 (1% chance until postgame), when they could have easily changed the encounter rate.

People say that of all the remakes, ORAS sticks to the original the most, but I think it's the other way around. HGSS were faithful to the originals TO A FAULT. I once spent a week fruitlessly searching for a Yanma on Route 35 (1% chance until postgame), when they could have easily changed the encounter rate.
FRLG is even worse in that regard.

So I was really thinking about how regional variants would be like in a Sinnoh remake and here are my ideas.

Nidoran, Nidorino/Nidorina, Nidoking/Nidoqueen (Poison/Ice): The Pokémon migrated high up into Mt. Cornoret and shed their ground type for the ice type.

Sunflora (Grass/Fire): sunflora initially had difficulty adjusting to sinnohs colder climate, so it adapted by learning to absorb more heat from the sun than usual thus giving it its unique Grass/Fire combo.

Teddiursa/Ursaring (Normal/Fire): I couldn’t come up with a good reason for this, if anyone has ideas I’d appreciate.

Trapinch/Vibrava/Flygon (Bug/Dragon): When the trapinch line was introduced to Sinnoh, there was a noticeable lack of desert areas. As such they adapted by shedding their ground type as their more bug like attributes benefited them a lot better in their new home.

Druddigon (Dragon/Poison): The Ice types in Mt. Cornoret forced Druddigon to flee towards the great marsh, where it evolved to have toxic spikes all over its body.

Axew, fraxure and Haxorus (Dragon/Fire): The Ice types in the Sinnoh region caused these Pokémon to respond by learning how to better utilize fire in battle.

Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist (Dark/Fairy): The malevolent and magical energy in sendoff spring and turn back cave caused the pumpkaboo line to develop a more menacing yet intriguing appearance.

Pyukumuku (Water/Electric): The electrical energy from Sunnyshore caused this Pokémon to develop the electric type.

Last edited:
Would it make sense to have regional variants for Pokémon from other Japanese regions?

I think it would be very odd, and also I think it would be very odd that a remake of a region would suddenly have Pokemon with variations.

I would want DP remakes but with the elements of Platinum - much like how HGSS were GS remakes with elements of crystal placed into it.

Looks like the schedule I predicted is almost confirmed:

Since Generation 8 is confirmed to be 2019 now.
You think a remake would be on 25th anniversary? I kind of doubt anything apart from Kanto would be given that honor. I would love to see Sinnoh remakes, but the way they treat anniversaries with brand new games (DP at 10, SM at 20) and 25 being a pretty big deal at a quarter of a century, I'm not so sure we could get it in 2021 (unless maybe it has all sorts of extra features/other regions?, I guess we'll find out how big a Pokemon Switch game can be next year). I'm worried we may have to wait a long time, which is a shame, because its about time Arceus gets its all-type ability with a new form and has the highest base stat total again.

You think a remake would be on 25th anniversary? I kind of doubt anything apart from Kanto would be given that honor. I would love to see Sinnoh remakes, but the way they treat anniversaries with brand new games (DP at 10, SM at 20) and 25 being a pretty big deal at a quarter of a century, I'm not so sure we could get it in 2021 (unless maybe it has all sorts of extra features/other regions?, I guess we'll find out how big a Pokemon Switch game can be next year). I'm worried we may have to wait a long time, which is a shame, because its about time Arceus gets its all-type ability with a new form and has the highest base stat total again.

Inb4 GF releases Let's Go Gen II after Gen VIII because everyone would be expecting Sinnoh remakes and they want to "surprise" (and troll) us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom