• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Style Thread (New Style: Christmas 2020)

Reaction score
This thread is for general ideas and feedback on forum styles, as well as announcing new ones as they come. If you see anything in a specific style that needs fixing, feel free to report it here. Please consider taking screenshots as well, though, as it's easier for us to help if we know what the issue is. You're also welcome to suggest new styles!

Mienshao Style
Johto-related Style
Kalos-related Style
Z-Crystal Style
Vulpix Style

For issues regarding the techincal side of the forums, please see here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kicking it off, we have a new style based on the eeveelutions for pride month! Bulbagarden has a long history of supporting LGBT-rights and keeping an environment where everyone feels welcome.

The style itself was created by Rainbow Cloud, while the banner was a collaboration between several people - EtherealGalaxia, Dolce, golden4point13, RoseyHyena, dragon_nataku, Cresselia92, Soki and myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really good skin and I will be using this from now on. Well done all of you and I really love the banner at the top! :)
Suggestion: LGPE skin???

New skin looks cool and all, but what happened to the last default? The plain white and light-blue one? I was totally used to that o:

EDIT: It's called bluebook. nvm

Oooh, I love the brown and beige tones for the Eeveelution skin. This might actually rival Bluebook, which has remained my unchallenged favorite since its introduction. Great work!

As a suggestion, the recent Spaceworld demo news has me in a kind of retro, Johto-ey mood lately, and I notice that none of the existing styles really lean in that direction of the franchise’s history, or toward the Johto region in general. Alola has the Team Skull style and the Rainbow Rocket style, Hoenn has the ORAS theme, Sinnoh has Distortion World, and Kanto has Misty’s Blues, the Bulbagarden classic (by virtue of Erika), and arguably has claim to the Rainbow Rocket theme as well. So maybe something with Ho-Oh and Lugia and/or the Legendary Beasts could fill in that aesthetic niche.

Oooh, I love the brown and beige tones for the Eeveelution skin. This might actually rival Bluebook, which has remained my unchallenged favorite since its introduction. Great work!

As a suggestion, the recent Spaceworld demo news has me in a kind of retro, Johto-ey mood lately, and I notice that none of the existing styles really lean in that direction of the franchise’s history, or toward the Johto region in general. Alola has the Team Skull style and the Rainbow Rocket style, Hoenn has the ORAS theme, Sinnoh has Distortion World, and Kanto has Misty’s Blues, the Bulbagarden classic (by virtue of Erika), and arguably has claim to the Rainbow Rocket theme as well. So maybe something with Ho-Oh and Lugia and/or the Legendary Beasts could fill in that aesthetic niche.
If there's going to be a Johto one, there needs to be a Kalos one as well. Maybe Xerneas?

The earthy tones of this theme are lovely and easy on the eyes. I think I'm going to keep this one for a while now-nice work, everyone! And I agree with @Esserise- Bluebook is currently my favorite, but this is a close second.

Maybe there could be a Z-Crystal theme? I feel like all the colors and crystals would give designers something to work with. Also, if it's possible, can you all make the next theme have the stickied threads separated, like how it is done in Bluebook? I think that makes everything look so much more neater and organized.

This is a nice surprise! Thanks for the support and the theme. It'll be great for browsing at night.

Can we change this... I really don't like this theme is there a way to customize it.

And Eevee's Pride is back... An LGBT themed skin isn't good for the heteronormative conservatives who come here. Shouldn't we use a politically neutral skin that's not baiting people as a default? People who liked Eevee's Pride could set it as a preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
And Eevee's Pride is back... An LGBT themed skin isn't good for the heteronormative conservatives who come here. Shouldn't we use a politically neutral skin that's not baiting people as a default? People who liked Eevee's Pride could set it as a preference.
Eevee's pride was created for pride month back in June. This was to support and celebrate the many LGBT staff/regular members we have here at Bulbagarden. It's why it was made. The message of "be yourself", though, isn't unique to the LGBT community. I think that's something everyone should be able to relate to. It is a style made for pride, but it's fairly neutral looking, I'd say.

As for why it's the default, that's simply because we're currently working on an offical default style. In the meanwhile we wanted something that better represents Bulbagarden than Bluebook does, but it should have soft colours and not be strictly holiday-themed. Because of this, Eevee's pride was chosen.

There's really nothing political about it, it's a message I think applies to most. If you don't like the style you're free to use the style chooser.

Bulbagarden has made its stance perfectly clear. They don't care about heteronormative conservatives throwing tantrums about such innocuous sentiments as "be yourself", and that's why I love this site.

The Eevee with the rainbow flag and the rainbow heart icons makes a perfectly clear idea of which side this site is on. And after looking into that topic for over a year, I'm not sure it's a good default skin for a fansite of a children's game series that starts with the professor asking if you're a boy or a girl, contains a move called Attract that only affects opposite-gendered Pokémon, and a breeding mechanic of putting a male and female Pokémon at the Day-Care. The theme around sexuality is too sensitive and explaining it to Pokémon's target demographic would be awkward. And there is the phrase "Get woke, go broke" when something turns off audiences interest for just pandering to one side of a political debate. I think the default skin should appeal to all Pokémon fans and not bait anyone into breaking the anti-bullying rules. I can change my preferences if I want, but I like seeing the theme change around the holidays, and I really am concerned about new users who have their own reasons to disagree with the LGBT movement coming here to see it affecting a forum of their favorite children's game/anime series. I see Eevee waving the rainbow flag and saying "be yourself" as convincing me to come out of the closet, and I take my heterosexuality very seriously. I don't intend to offend anybody, but Eevee's Pride is not a good skin for the default. Couldn't we have gone back to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee? Or was that game too awful for some people?

Back
Top Bottom