• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Space World 1997 demo for Pokemon Gold leaked

Ah, shame... I really wanted to see what its evolution gimmick would be. Thanks :)
Well, we do know that it apparently evolved with Metal Coat... but it was still Normal-type and still only learned Transform. Base stats were all 50's instead of 48's, so slight improvement, but pretty much a regular Ditto. XD It really would be nice to know what its intended function was, because at the moment it looks kind of redundant.

I wonder if metal Ditto wasn't just a planned start to a gimmick. Something like what would happen if you gave a Ditto an evolutionary item. Especially since it's the same with some minor stat boosts.

I wonder if metal Ditto wasn't just a planned start to a gimmick. Something like what would happen if you gave a Ditto an evolutionary item. Especially since it's the same with some minor stat boosts.
I can't remember where I saw it, but I think there was mention about the evo possibly having been intended to be able to transform without getting paralyzed/attacked/knocked out first. Obviously this was better solved in later gens with Limber and Imposter.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some connection to Metal Powder, though.

The more that I look at it, the more I actually prefer the beta Hitmontop. It looks a lot more monstrous than the original, and consequently feels more closely related to the other two Hitmons, particularly Lee. The body shape also looks tougher and more unique.

This beta explains so many things. Questions I've had for years but with no resolution have been solved.
Like why does Umbreon spray poison, or what animal is the hoppip line based on, or why doesn't Heracross evolve from Pinsir (although I always sort of assumed it was a rejected Pinsir evolution).

I do like that Farfetch'd evolution was changed into a legendary. I don't know, I just find that funny for some reason.

Ditto's evolution is horrifying (What is Ditto? Were we originally going to find out some horrible truth about it in Gen 2?)
I want everyone of the baby evolutions, they're so cute (I especially want Trifox *_*).
I like old Girafarig, a lot. I liked it before when I saw the beta image of it but I like it even more now that I can see the back.
I want the old versions of Remoraid and Octillery. They look so much cooler than what we got (course, I know we're never going to get them cause it's a kid's game but still, so cool..)
Lot of these are really scary though, but I think that's why I like them.

I could go on all day about this leak. There's only a handful of these I don't like, and the towns and cities, even half made they look so fun and interesting.

This beta explains so many things. Questions I've had for years but with no resolution have been solved.
Like why does Umbreon spray poison, or what animal is the hoppip line based on, or why doesn't Heracross evolve from Pinsir (although I always sort of assumed it was a rejected Pinsir evolution).

I do like that Farfetch'd evolution was changed into a legendary. I don't know, I just find that funny for some reason.

Ditto's evolution is horrifying (What is Ditto? Were we originally going to find out some horrible truth about it in Gen 2?)
I want everyone of the baby evolutions, they're so cute (I especially want Trifox *_*).
I like old Girafarig, a lot. I liked it before when I saw the beta image of it but I like it even more now that I can see the back.
I want the old versions of Remoraid and Octillery. They look so much cooler than what we got (course, I know we're never going to get them cause it's a kid's game but still, so cool..)
Lot of these are really scary though, but I think that's why I like them.

I could go on all day about this leak. There's only a handful of these I don't like, and the towns and cities, even half made they look so fun and interesting.
It is fascinating what questions this answered.

For me, it solved the mystery of why Igglybuff got a random swirl marking on its forehead- it used to be a lock of hair before it got reinterpreted as a marking for some reason.

I think one of the greatest losses was poor Girafarig's design because the beta version is far superior to the one that we got. Another great loss is both of the Tangela evos- I hope to see the baby stage make a comeback and for the other to become a branched evolution one day.

It is fascinating what questions this answered.

For me, it solved the mystery of why Igglybuff got a random swirl marking on its forehead- it used to be a lock of hair before it got reinterpreted as a marking for some reason.

I think one of the greatest losses was poor Girafarig's design because the beta version is far superior to the one that we got. Another great loss is both of the Tangela evos- I hope to see the baby stage make a comeback and for the other to become a branched evolution one day.

I always kind of figured that was the reason for Igglybuff's mark. Honestly there's a lot of design issues that result from artists not realizing what's suppose to be what (which I believe is how we ended up with Kakuna's arms).

I would love the Tangela evolves to be real. I have a Tangela in one of my parties that I've never evolved because I hate Tangrowth so much. I like Gelanla much more.

Oh by the way. I just remembered what Rinring and Meowsy remind me of:
fake_pokemon_but_cute_by_valleyoflostsouls.jpg

This is a fake Pokemon from many years ago.

I always kind of figured that was the reason for Igglybuff's mark. Honestly there's a lot of design issues that result from artists not realizing what's suppose to be what (which I believe is how we ended up with Kakuna's arms).

I would love the Tangela evolves to be real. I have a Tangela in one of my parties that I've never evolved because I hate Tangrowth so much. I like Gelanla much more.

Oh by the way. I just remembered what Rinring and Meowsy remind me of:
fake_pokemon_but_cute_by_valleyoflostsouls.jpg

This is a fake Pokemon from many years ago.
Cuuuuute fake.

There is official artwork of Kakuna with the arms, though- I think artists not realizing that they were supposed to be there is probably how we lost them. XD That or they were decided to be an undesired part of the design.

Gawd the Igglybuff swirl bugs me so much, though.

Doesn't help that Will's sprite in Gen II looked like a male Lorelei.
I always thought they made Will look like Lorelei on purpose so that when you first enter the elite four it tricks the players into thinking they're fighting the ice Pokemon user Lorelei and not the psychic Pokemon user Will.

Another thing I just realized. Entei's pokedex says that it barks. THAT'S BECAUSE IT WAS A DOG ORIGINALLY.

It looks like they made the Pokedex entries in the beta stage but then they failed to change them when alterations were made to Pokemon's designs or concepts before the final release. Which is why Umbreon spits poison and Entei barks.

This explains so much including this Pokedex entry for Slowbro from Gold:
"If the tail-biting Shellder is thrown off in a harsh battle, it reverts to being an ordinary Slowpoke."
(A Pokedex entry like this was also in Yellow, but they were working on both Gold and Yellow around the same time so that's not surprising.)

This implies that Turban may have been a kind of "nincada" type of evolution, that when Slowbro evolves it turns into two Pokemon: Slowpoke and Turban.

Last edited:
I always thought they made Will look like Lorelei on purpose so that when you first enter the elite four it tricks the players into thinking they're fighting the ice Pokemon user Lorelei and not the psychic Pokemon user Will.
Either that, or Will's sprite is a redrawn Lorelei. It also explains why they used ice in Will's room. However, it doesn't explain why it was the only room they kept, unless you think that Koga's room was originally Giovanni's.

Either that, or Will's sprite is a redrawn Lorelei. It also explains why they used ice in Will's room. However, it doesn't explain why it was the only room they kept, unless you think that Koga's room was originally Giovanni's.
I think it was the only room they kept the same because after the player realizes that the first Elite Four member wasn't Lorelei, they're going to expect the other members to be different too and not wall the trick again. There's no point to keep the rest of the rooms the same if the player knows the game is trying to trick them.

Another thing I just realized. Entei's pokedex says that it barks. THAT'S BECAUSE IT WAS A DOG ORIGINALLY.

It looks like they made the Pokedex entries in the beta stage but then they failed to change them when alterations were made to Pokemon's designs or concepts before the final release. Which is why Umbreon spits poison and Entei barks.

"If the tail-biting Shellder is thrown off in a harsh battle, it reverts to being an ordinary Slowpoke."
(A Pokedex entry like this was also in Yellow, but they were working on both Gold and Yellow around the same time so that's not surprising.)

This implies that Turban may have been a kind of "nincada" type of evolution, that when Slowbro evolves it turns into two Pokemon: Slowpoke and Turban.

I’m thinking the same thing, but isn’t Turbann supposed to be the mutated Shellder from Slowking though? Also, why would Game Freak want to design something that reverts to a weaker form from a gameplay standpoint?

It’s probably more likely that wild Turbann would be carrying a King’s Rock, or perhaps evolve from Shellder by trading with the King’s Rock.

Perhaps there was a planned subplot about Will and Lorelei being related, but Game Freak decided to drop that for some reason.

Entei still is a dog, though- it's a lion dog. And beta Raikou doesn't carry a rain cloud, so it's not a beta pokedex entry either.

Perhaps there was a planned subplot about Will and Lorelei being related, but Game Freak decided to drop that for some reason.

A subplot? In Gen 2? Maybe by a verrrrrry generous definition of "subplot." :p

A subplot? In Gen 2? Maybe by a verrrrrry generous definition of "subplot." :p
It would basically just be dialog from a couple of NPCs and perhaps Will himself, but a “subplot” nonetheless.

There’s also the possibility that Will was a very last minute replacement for Lorelei, meaning there would only be enough time for Game Freak to edit the sprite and call it a new character. It wouldn’t surprise me if that was indeed the case.

Something just hit me like a ton of bricks that I haven't seen brought up:

Original Bugsy might have became either Aaron or Burgh or both. They totally held on to the thought of an older, taller, skinny, more showman-like bug trainer for two or three generations.

I’m thinking the same thing, but isn’t Turbann supposed to be the mutated Shellder from Slowking though? Also, why would Game Freak want to design something that reverts to a weaker form from a gameplay standpoint?

It’s probably more likely that wild Turbann would be carrying a King’s Rock, or perhaps evolve from Shellder by trading with the King’s Rock.
The Shellder on Slowking's head as large spike on either side with many small spikes at the top. Slowbro's Shellder has small spikes all over it just like Turban, so despite it's name it's look like it comes from Slowbro, not Slowking.
That's probably why it's in the beta and never got fully developed. The game's designs realized putting a weak Shellder in the game wasn't good for gameplay, or couldn't figure out a way to make that kind of Shellder useful.
It weird for it to evolve naturally in the wild like that, especially since it doesn't seem to serve any natural benefit and Shellder already evolves into Cloyster which is the far more powerful and kingly of the two.

Entei still is a dog, though- it's a lion dog. And beta Raikou doesn't carry a rain cloud, so it's not a beta pokedex entry either.
There's nothing actually about Entei that warrants it being called a dog, it looks exactly like a lion. It's only called a "lion dog" by some because it barks, but if that's just an remnant of beta development then it's not really meant to be a dog; like how Arcanine is not an legendary pokemon even though it's called the "Legendary Pokemon".
I looked over a few other Pokemon from the beta and found I was wrong. Some of them had a corresponding entry in Gold but others had one in Silver.
Raikou's Silver entry actually doesn't refer to the thundercloud and does refer to barking:
"A Pokémon that races across the land while barking a cry that sounds like crashing thunder."
Which seems to be entry for Rai from the beta.

I actually found a lot of other good examples of this:
Porygon2's Gold Entry:
"This upgraded version of Porygon is designed for space exploration. It can't fly, though."
Spr_5b_233.png

8a7.gif

Ledian's Silver Entry:
"The star patterns on its back grow larger or smaller depending on the number of stars in the night sky."
Spr_b_2g_166.png

Deh9DcgXcAAYSU3.jpg

Octillery's Gold Entry:
"It traps enemies with its suction-cupped tentacles then smashes them with its rock-hard head."
Pokemon-Or-beta-Octillery.jpeg

There are some that don't have these kind of entries at all like Bayleef or Girafarig but I'm assuming that's because they were changed so much that whatever their original entries were wouldn't work at all and had to be just deleted.
I did notice though their Gold and Silver entries had almost I identical information within them, which makes me think they copied, pasted, and then slightly rephrased the other entry to make up for the lost entry. Now some Pokemon do have Gold and Silver entries that have some similar information, but usually it's not this similar.
Bayleef's Gold Entry:
"The scent of spices comes from around its neck. Somehow, sniffing it makes you want to fight."
Bayleef's Silver Entry:
"A spicy aroma emanates from around its neck. The aroma acts as a stimulant to restore health."
Girafarig's Gold Entry:
"Its tail has a small brain of its own. Beware! If you get close, it may react to your scent and bite."
Girafarig's Silver Entry:
"Its tail, which also contains a small brain, may bite on its own if it notices an alluring smell."

Last edited:
The Shellder on Slowking's head as large spike on either side with many small spikes at the top. Slowbro's Shellder has small spikes all over it just like Turban, so despite it's name it's look like it comes from Slowbro, not Slowking.
That's probably why it's in the beta and never got fully developed. The game's designs realized putting a weak Shellder in the game wasn't good for gameplay, or couldn't figure out a way to make that kind of Shellder useful.
It weird for it to evolve naturally in the wild like that, especially since it doesn't seem to serve any natural benefit and Shellder already evolves into Cloyster which is the far more powerful and kingly of the two.

There's nothing actually about Entei that warrants it being called a dog, it looks exactly like a lion. It's only called a "lion dog" by some because it barks, but if that's just an remnant of beta development then it's not really meant to be a dog; like how Arcanine is not an legendary pokemon even though it's called the "Legendary Pokemon".
I looked over a few other Pokemon from the beta and found I was wrong. Some of them had a corresponding entry in Gold but others had one in Silver.
Raikou's Silver entry actually doesn't refer to the thundercloud and does refer to barking:
"A Pokémon that races across the land while barking a cry that sounds like crashing thunder."
Which seems to be entry for Rai from the beta.

I actually found a lot of other good examples of this:
Porygon2's Gold Entry:
"This upgraded version of Porygon is designed for space exploration. It can't fly, though."
Spr_5b_233.png

8a7.gif

Ledian's Silver Entry:
"The star patterns on its back grow larger or smaller depending on the number of stars in the night sky."
Spr_b_2g_166.png

Deh9DcgXcAAYSU3.jpg

Octillery's Gold Entry:
"It traps enemies with its suction-cupped tentacles then smashes them with its rock-hard head."
Pokemon-Or-beta-Octillery.jpeg

There are some that don't have these kind of entries at all like Bayleef or Girafarig but I'm assuming that's because they were changed so much that whatever their original entries were wouldn't work at all and had to be just deleted.
I did notice though their Gold and Silver entries had almost I identical information within them, which makes me think they copied, pasted, and then slightly rephrased the other entry to make up for the lost entry. Now some Pokemon do have Gold and Silver entries that have some similar information, but usually it's not this similar.
Bayleef's Gold Entry:
"The scent of spices comes from around its neck. Somehow, sniffing it makes you want to fight."
Bayleef's Silver Entry:
"A spicy aroma emanates from around its neck. The aroma acts as a stimulant to restore health."
Girafarig's Gold Entry:
"Its tail has a small brain of its own. Beware! If you get close, it may react to your scent and bite."
Girafarig's Silver Entry:
"Its tail, which also contains a small brain, may bite on its own if it notices an alluring smell."
Entei is called a "lion dog" because it appears to have been based on Foo (called lion dogs by Japan and westerners) and bares some resemblance to a mastiff.

Some entries do seem to reference their beta version, without a doubt, but I wouldn't say that most do, necessarily. Unfortunately, there were no pokedex entries in the prototype build that was leaked, so we only know that they were added sometime between the demo and the final release.

Back
Top Bottom