• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Buy or Pass?

The titular question: Buy or Pass?

• Buy

• Pass

• Still unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'll be buying. It's a more watered down Pokemon Yellow. I feel it is just a game with lighthearted fun in it. You know, a spinoff. Something I've been wanting more of. I'm glad it's a Switch game.

As for the GO features, since I do not play GO, I more than likely will not get the full experience. Regardless, it looks cute and I'll more than likely be buying it.

I'm leaning towards pass. If I hear really great reviews in the months following the games' release, I may reconsider. I see these games as a pure cash grab, nothing else.

I gaurentee that no matter how good the game is, most major publications will give it 9/10s. They don't want another "7.8" situation

I still want to learn more about the games since we don't know how different they are from Yellow, but the chances are pretty excellent that I'll buy them. I'm going to have to get a Switch eventually to get the eighth generation games next year anyway, so I might as well do it sooner rather than later. Hopefully I can find one relatively cheap online. Plus, I'd eventually get some other Switch games, so it wouldn't be just for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. While being confined to just the first generation for the main storyline still feels boring to me and I would have really preferred a more modern Kanto as opposed to another remake, the games look fun, the graphics look nice and I'm sure that they'll be fun to play through. Walking Pokemon feature returning along with Pikachu and Eevee having their own outfits is just adorable.

It also helps that these games are more of a way to bridge the two generations together rather than the start of the eighth generation like I thought was going to happen when the announcement came out. Although, where was it mentioned that the games have multiple save files? I don't recall that from the press conference announcement, but I could have easily missed it with everything else that was going on.

Pass. I don't own a Switch and I probably won't anytime soon. It's just too expensive for me at this point. The only thing that could maybe make me consider even buying a Switch is a Gen 8 main series game. These two games don't do the trick for me, sadly.

Pass. I got bored of Go in like a week. And the only thing I liked about Go was the taking pictures part of Go. This doesn't have that. It feels like a game that's really just for children. It feels super easy.

Pass. I got bored of Go in like a week. And the only thing I liked about Go was the taking pictures part of Go. This doesn't have that. It feels like a game that's really just for children. It feels super easy.

Well children are still the target audience for the franchise. The games do appeal to older fans and they recognize that of course, but these games seem to be designed to bring new and long time fans back into the main series before the next generation comes in. It's really not that surprising.

I'll likely pass since I'm not the biggest fan of Kanto or Pokémon Go (and even if I was, I don't have a Switch anyway). I'm afraid it just hasn't caught me on either of the fishing hooks.

I've already Pre-Ordered let's go eevee. That being said I'm a huge fan of eevee so I will take almost any chance to get eevee as a starter even if I can't evolve it. There looks to be enough here to interest me and justify the price since I already own a Switch even if it's not going to be as deep as most other Pokemon games.

Pass. I've been waiting a long time for a modernized Kanto, and this isn't it. Here are my qualms by order of importance:

1. Remakes rather than sequels: Very little in the way of surprise. The region and its characters can't evolve like this.

2. No Johto or even its Pokemon. So much for the regions being connected.

3. The overworld scale, perspective and grid have barely changed. Even SM had more going for them in this department.

4. The protagonists looking no older than 8. Apparently these games have a younger target demographic than even the original games did.

5. Removed features: I am not attached to wild Pokemon battles or online features, but why remove them altogether? Give players choices when they buy a $60 game.

These games are likely to be a big success, but their premise feels so misguided - especially to someone like me who actually likes Kanto, but not for puristic reasons. Most of you can just look forward to the next generation instead, but I find it really hard to do that anymore.

The overworld Pokemon are nice. I'll give Game Freak that much, but it isn't nearly enough for me.

4. The protagonists looking no older than 8. Apparently these games have a younger target demographic than even the original games did.

This was my point. It's like this game is made for 5 year olds. The main series games were for kids too but it isn't dumbed down til this extent.

I'll most likely pass. That way I can hold off on getting a Switch until 2019.

This was my point. It's like this game is made for 5 year olds. The main series games were for kids too but it isn't dumbed down til this extent.

I don't know if there are that many five year olds into Pokemon Go, at least compared to the amount of adults who were playing it during its peak of popularity and are still playing it now. They are trying to bring in new fans, which would include kids, but they're also trying to attract Go players with these games. I can kind of see your point about the games being dumbed down when they're trying to keep things more simple, but I'm not sure if the target audience for these games is that much younger than the kids that they try to appeal for the main series games.

Pass. Too barebones and similar to the original to be interested. I want to like this game for doing neat things like Pokemon in the overworld, co-op, and riding/following Pokemon but that wouldn't be enough to justify a purchase and I'd much rather have that in a meatier and fresher experience.

Yeah I despise their apperence. At least whilst the ones we had are "11" in ORAS/SM/USM, they don't LOOK 11. You could easily say they're 18 or whatever.

No saying that for this remaster though, they clearly look 6-8. I can't stand by that

Unsure, but leaning towards pass since you need a $20 subscription to complete the Pokedex and the game in general is becoming less and less appealing to me as more news comes out.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom