• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to agree. No offense to anyone who digs this kind of style for a starter/Pokemon, but I'm more into the kawaii aesthetic rather than cool, which anyone can discern from my profile pic. Hopefully the Gen 8 games with have something along the lines of Primarina :X3:.

I'd prefer a return to the natural progression theme from Generations 1 and 2 in the starter department. Keep the fancy RPG theme references to a minimum and have atleast one non-humanoid starter.

I'd prefer a return to the natural progression theme from Generations 1 and 2 in the starter department. Keep the fancy RPG theme references to a minimum and have atleast one non-humanoid starter.
I'm afraid this is where we differ. Where's the fun in superpowered creatures than can be anything if they're just going to look like regular animals? The fun in evolutions is seeing where they'll go, not just seeing them get bigger.

I'm afraid this is where we differ. Where's the fun in superpowered creatures than can be anything if they're just going to look like regular animals? The fun in evolutions is seeing where they'll go, not just seeing them get bigger.

I’ve seen GameFreak botch up my Fire strter baby for 3 generations in a row so I’ve lost trust in them to pull off their themes successfully without making the starters into humans wearing costumes in the last stage.

Starters like Charizard managed to show progression, look different from costume wearing humans and be popular at the same time.

Personally, I prefer the "just get bigger" type of starters for the most part- Gen 1 and 2's starters are the best for me. And part of that is because they weren't given their own personalities, they were like blank slates. Maybe it's because I'm a more creative person and would rather have a canvas than someone's already finished work.

Not a fan of my starter having a pre-determined personality, anyway. I'd rather it look like a species than a character so I can more freely decide who they are rather than who Game Freak determined them to be.

I’d love a combination of natural progression, a sort-of unpredictable direction (that is NOT fighting related) with a hint of personality.

I’d love a combination of natural progression, a sort-of unpredictable direction (that is NOT fighting related) with a hint of personality.
Decidueye has everything you just mentioned.

Last edited:

Theres nothing natural about a turtle getting wing ears and then developing high pressure water cannons on its back lol

But in terms of design, we do need to go back to that simple conceptual evolution style.

I’ve seen GameFreak botch up my Fire strter baby for 3 generations in a row so I’ve lost trust in them to pull off their themes successfully without making the starters into humans wearing costumes in the last stage.

Starters like Charizard managed to show progression, look different from costume wearing humans and be popular at the same time.
Again, it's not at fun to me. Some pokemon are naturally cool looking with progression, but again the excitement of certain themes and elements that comes onto a pokemon upon evolution is just fun to me. You should've seen how hyped I was when I first saw Decidueye's leak. I thought it was the most genius design to date.

You should've seen how hyped I was when I first saw Decidueye's leak. I thought it was the most genius design to date.
ikr? It’s a ghost owl with a Robin Hood theme to it. It’s really one of the best concepts Game Freak made imo.

Yeah and I don’t hate it. My arguments are cantered around the fire starter since it’s my favourite type.
I see. Well in that case i have to agree, i think some of the fire starters look too busy.
Yeeeeah, there's one big issue I have with the starters lately- they're all a bunch of generic character tropes. I'll take my blank character slates back, thanks. =/
I get the appeal of simpler designs, but we don’t really have a lot of those character tropes in Pokemon. I think it’s fun seeing how GF incorprate them in Pokemon designs.

I think your dislike for anthro fire starters might stem from memories of the the Fire/Fighting trio, then morphed into other reasons.

I don’t think so since Infernape is one of my top 10 favourite Pokémon.

I just want to see them take a different direction with the fire starter now after ruining them for so many years.
Is a different direction with a starter too much to ask after all these years?

I see. Well in that case i have to agree, i think some of the fire starters look too busy.

I get where you’re coming from, but we don’t really have a lot of those character tropes in Pokemon. I think it’s fun seeing how GF incorprate them in Pokemon designs.
I mean, it's fine if they use them, but I'd rather see them used on something that isn't your starter? Your first companion in the region, and all of them evolve into a generic character trope. Can't we leave the starters open to interpretation and just catch the character tropes later in the game and decide for ourselves whether or not we want to raise them?

I also remember how excited I was for Incineroar too after I started piecing together it's correlations with Litten. Like how Litten's oily fur is similar to how wrestlers grease themselves as a cheating method, just like a heel wrestler. It's just all the thought put into it that makes you appreciate a pokemon more you know?

when wid did last discuss new prehistoric pokemon?

-Ankylosaurus (defensive part dragon?)
-Stegosaurus (grass? electric?)
-Spinosaurus (grass? water?)
-Parasaurolophus (sound oriented dino???fairy?)

- Velociraptor (dark or steel would suit it probably, taking its speed and hord style of battling)
-Dilophosaurus would deserve poison typing
-maybe Therinosaurus could be fighting with those large claws

-Ceratosaurus(fire?)
-a pro per triceratops, maybe partially electric? Batodion is rather a Pachyrhinosaurus. (also defensive oriented)

Pure animal starters wouldn't be interesting if not their changes and upgrades like past 4 generations. Hope only that they get nice dual typings becuse pure water, grass and fire was used to often in the past and we have already much more mono types hen dual types.
Ruining them? fire is a really strong type.
Design wise they are rather ok I think, but ability and type wise could be much better to compensate speed in return or get right speed but not over-speed.
After fire/gighting we all would want something like ghost/ fairy/steel/poison/electric to make a real change after we got Delphox psychic and Inineroar dark.
Taking that we had pig(boar) , fox(dog) now tiger (cat) both animals are colerated with Rabbit(electric???) but also Goat(fairy) but maybe they will pull a Ox(steel) or Horse(ghost) taking that's a harder prey for tigers? snake(poison) can be put between two preys like rabbit or goat or after taking that they want diffrent generations to colerate in future

Last edited:
What I want more than anything is for dragon Pokémon to be based off actual dragons, don’t want semi hybrids, don’t want dinosaurs, don’t want reptiles, don’t want wyverns, don’t want serpents, some actual dragon origin inspired Pokémon please lol

What I want more than anything is for dragon Pokémon to be based off actual dragons, don’t want semi hybrids, don’t want dinosaurs, don’t want reptiles, don’t want wyverns, don’t want serpents, some actual dragon origin inspired Pokémon please lol
I dunno, i think i’d be boring if they restricted dragon types to just “dragon inspired” creatures.

Dragons are pretty much reptiles anyway, so dinosaurs, serpents ect... are fine as dragon types imo.

I dunno, i think i’d be boring if they restricted dragon types to just “dragon inspired” creatures.

Dragons are pretty much reptiles anyway, so dinosaurs, serpents ect... are fine as dragon types imo.

Would be nice to have a break from that as that’s all we’ve been getting lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom