• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the reports in the news about Muslim terrorists. It may even be banned in the US.
Game Freak isn't forced to recognize what's currently happening in real-world regions they're adapting into Pokemon-world regions, nor their past. Just look at Kalos; where are immigrant populations represented in X and Y? Where is racism represented in Unova? Where is there a note of Alola not being autonomous?

The bottom line is that a region can be created solely from culture and the plan of a city (minimum).

Last edited:
However, when Game Freak does things like outright removing content in the name of simplifying or "casualizing" the game, then it doesn't sit well with me.
I'm not trying to be rude, but literally all that has been confirmed to have been removed (in terms of LGPE) is battling wild Pokemon. Other aspects, like capturing or encountering wild Pokemon, are different, but still present. Such also applies to online trade and battles, since they'll be present, but not in the form of rated battles and the GTS

I think this is mainly why I see people as overreacting to LGPE; certain aspects may be slightly to substantially different, but the main premise of capturing Pokemon and battling with them is still present. Not only that, but there will be new features added that can be seen as infinitely more important than being able to battle wild Pokemon, like dressing up Pokemon (even if limited) and a box in your bag. I know that not everyone cares for these new features, but the point is that LGPE are more alike to any main-series Pokemon game we've had up until now than they are different.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be rude, but literally all that has been confirmed to have been removed (in terms of LGPE) is battling wild Pokemon. Other aspects, like capturing or encountering wild Pokemon, are different, but still present. Such also applies to online trade and battles, since they'll be present, but not in the form of rated battles and the GTS
Removing wild battles, the gts, wonder trade ect.. are big( and not in a good way) changes to a lot of people.

Breeding doesn’t exist in LGPE either, and it’s said that stats will be “simplified”.

Removing wild battles, the gts, wonder trade ect.. are big( and not in a good way) changes to a lot of people.
I get that. What I'm trying to say is that the premise of Pokemon is still there. I know that every person has their own interpretation of what makes Pokemon Pokemon, but the most general one that is officially recognized is catching and battling Pokemon. The means may be different, but not the end result. LGPE are not changing Pokemon into something it isn't already.

Breeding doesn’t exist in LGPE either.
Welp, I didn't know this until you commented it. But it still follows the same logic as before; certain people enjoy Pokemon for being able to breed their own teams for use or shiny hunting, but you still ultimately can raise Pokemon, battle, and shiny hunt. No breeding changes the means of accomplishing what it's currently associated with, but not the end result (receiving a shiny, crafting a team).

I get that. What I'm trying to say is that the premise of Pokemon is still there. I know that every person has their own interpretation of what makes Pokemon Pokemon, but the most general one that is officially recognized is catching and battling Pokemon. The means may be different, but not the end result. LGPE are not changing Pokemon into something it isn't already.

Welp, I didn't know this until you commented it. But it still follows the same logic as before; certain people enjoy Pokemon for being able to breed their own teams for use or shiny hunting, but you still ultimately can raise Pokemon, battle, and shiny hunt. No breeding changes the means of accomplishing what it's currently associated with, but not the end result (receiving a shiny, crafting a team).
I think you’re missing the point.

It’s not that LGPE is changing Pokemon into something it isn’t. It’s that they’re removing features lots enjoyed, and as a result it may look like a lesser game than previous entries. I’m sure everybody here loves the basic premise of Pokemon, but if someone isn’t happy with the changes they made in LGPE, they’re not going to drop 60$ on it when every Pokemon game ever has the same premise + the features they removed in LGPE.

Last edited:
All of the reports in the news about Muslim terrorists. It may even be banned in the US.
The Middle East isn't just Muslim terrorists, there's a lot of culture and history there. Gamefreak could focus on Mesopotamia as a theme for a middle eastern region, for example. They'll have the Babylonian, Sumerian, Achaemenid, Akkadian, and other civillisations to work with. And like SushiPushi said, they're not forced to reference current events in their games.

I wouldn't mind a region based off of Rome or even the UK as a whole. That would be interesting!

I think you’re missing the point.

It’s not that LGPE is changing Pokemon into something it isn’t. It’s that they’re removing features lots enjoyed, and as a result it may look like a lesser game than previous entries. I’m sure everybody here loves the basic premise of Pokemon, but if someone isn’t happy with the changes they made in LGPE, they’re not going to drop 60$ on it when every Pokemon game ever has the same premise + the features they removed in LGPE.
Definitely makes me understand more. But how much do people actually like wild battles the way they've been up until now? I can understand breeding given current mechanics, but I find there to be little fun in blindly encountering Pokemon over and over again, especially in caves and surfing. Heck, I was already bored on the first route in Moon as a result of trying to encounter a Pichu. And not to mention catching; where's the fun in choosing a ball to throw and clicking a button to throw it? How is it more enjoyable than what's in LGPE? You still have to wait and see if your catch is successful in LGPE.

And let's face it, who uses anything other than a strong False-Swipe Pokemon to catch Pokemon? Trying to whittle down Pokemon in order to increase your odds of catching it is exciting at first, but the majority of us settle for efficiency in the form of a Hold Back Celebii or False Swipe Haxorous in the late game or post game. Maybe you can help me understand this as well?

But how much do people actually like wild battles the way they've been up until now?
I do. I like actually having my Pokemon involved with catching other Pokemon.
but I find there to be little fun in blindly encountering Pokemon over and over again, especially in caves and surfing.
Well LGPE won’t be better in this regard either, considering the extremely limited Pokedex.
And not to mention catching; where's the fun in choosing a ball to throw and clicking a button to throw it? How is it more enjoyable than what's in LGPE? You still have to wait and see if your catch is successful in LGPE.
Maybe it’s not “fun”, but i’d rather press a button than constantly flicking my joycon until i hit something.

Not to mention, in Go, your Pokeball can miss. If the same is true for Let’s Go catching won’t be any “fun” either.
And let's face it, who uses anything other than a strong False-Swipe Pokemon to catch Pokemon? Trying to whittle down Pokemon in order to increase your odds of catching it is exciting at first, but the majority of us settle for efficiency in the form of a Hold Back Celebii or False Swipe Haxorous in the late game or post game. Maybe you can help me understand this as well?
To me, i’d rather battle something then catch it than just throwing a Pokeball and be done with it.

I do. I like actually having my Pokemon involved with catching other Pokemon.

Well LGPE won’t be better in this regard either, considering the extremely limited Pokedex.

Maybe it’s not “fun”, but i’d rather press a button than constantly flicking my joycon until i hit something.

Not to mention, in Go, your Pokeball can miss. If the same is true for Let’s Go catching won’t be any “fun” either.

To me, i’d rather battle something then catch it than just throwing a Pokeball and be done with it.
I think reading your response has made me realize that I'm honestly fed up with the traditional catching formula. I guess I must be so tired out after "catching them all" (National Pokedex completion) that I just want something that seems less grindy and has less of a need to optimize. I've just played that many games intensely to want something different and simple that gets someone less in the mentality of "this is what I am going to do to get x, y, and z," and more "this is a fun Pokemon adventure."

Dang, now I really realize how biased I am. But hey, as long as one defends their own opinions and preferences well, it's all good.

I think this is mainly why I see people as overreacting to LGPE; certain aspects may be slightly to substantially different, but the main premise of capturing Pokemon and battling with them is still present. Not only that, but there will be new features added that can be seen as infinitely more important than being able to battle wild Pokemon, like dressing up Pokemon (even if limited) and a box in your bag. I know that not everyone cares for these new features, but the point is that LGPE are more alike to any main-series Pokemon game we've had up until now than they are different.

I wasn't referring to LGPE specifically, but making a general statement. Deciding not to add the Battle Frontier in ORAS is another example of Game Freak's vision of making the games casual and removing the aforementioned options. I don't think the 3DS era has been really that bad. It had plenty of things I loved, however, it did make me concerned of the direction of the future "core RPG" games simply because we're moving to a more expensive console and the games themselves will likely cost more. Simply put, I don't want to pay more for less content. I'm feeling fairly optimistic about the 2019 game though and I'm excited for the potential 8th generation.

Why would a Middle Eastern region be controversial?

Check the news everyday. With the wars around, the general politics and society in the current era, I feel such a region would be incredibly risky and also dangerous especially with their cultural and religious beliefs. You can only imagine the stories and propagandar lol

Basically the anti christian propagandar we had in gens 1-2 but turned up to 112. If i was at Gamefreak, I wouldnt want to risk with such a thing until stuff cools down.

I know several people who absolutely hate wild battles. More specifically random wild battles.

Also: the stats could use being simplified. The meta game is freaking incomprehensible it would be nice if the actual game stats made sense.

Check the news everyday. With the wars around, the general politics and society in the current era, I feel such a region would be incredibly risky and also dangerous especially with their cultural and religious beliefs. You can only imagine the stories and propagandar lol

Basically the anti christian propagandar we had in gens 1-2 but turned up to 112. If i was at Gamefreak, I wouldnt want to risk with such a thing until stuff cools down.
To be fair, certain cultural aspects of the Middle East have been covered in Hoopa's movie (and the short). Game Freak could literally only focus on the desert portion of the Middle East and pull from other areas they feel particularly inspired by, and then fill in the rest with non-related "stuff." Not to mention, Pokemon gets away with much more stuff than it did in its first two gens; there's a literal devil ghost (Hoopa) and I don't hear any Christians being upset. Plus, if there was ever a substantiated religious angle against Pokemon, it would have come out during Pokemon Go's prime, but it never did. In this day and age, ignorant people online are put down more than given fuel by others; unless Game Freak directly puts terrorism in the game with weapons, people in mainstream media who want to find the games insensitive or problematic will be grasping at straws and will be mass-corrected by the internet.

Last edited:
To be fair, certain cultural aspects of the Middle East have been covered in Hoopa's movie (and the short). Game Freak could literally only focus on the desert portion of the Middle East and pull from other areas they feel particularly inspired by, and then fill in the rest with non-related "stuff." Not to mention, Pokemon gets away with much more stuff than it did in its first two gens; there's a literal devil ghost (Hoopa) and I don't hear any Christians being upset. Plus, if there was ever a substantiated religious angle against Pokemon, it would have come out during Pokemon Go's prime, but it never did. In this day and age, ignorant people online are put down more than given fuel by others; unless Game Freak directly puts terrorism in the game with weapons, people who want to find the games insensitive or problematic will be grasping at straws and will be mass-corrected by the internet.

Another consideration is that there are parts of the middle east that ban video games and pokemon still, so I feel personally with that in mind + the social issues, its better to let stuff cool off.

The biggest issue is if Lets Go broke fans, can you imagine what a region on the middle east would be like, the serious modern connotations with it + how the US and UK is like with their war against them, it wouldn't be a smart move. You might as well show the Japanese bombings in Lets Go Eevee and Pikachu while we are at it lol

I dont feel the world is ready for it until the religious wars tone down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom