• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm beginning to think perhaps gen 8 will be a sofot reboot (but more akin to hoenn, where it was mostly new pokemon + some older ones)

The term “reboot” has been bandied about so much in this fandom lately that I can’t even tell what it’s supposed to mean anymore.

The term “reboot” has been bandied about so much in this fandom lately that I can’t even tell what it’s supposed to mean anymore.

soft reboot has always been used to refer to black/white and to an extent, Ruby/Sapphire

since in B/W you only catch unova pokemon and it's fairly detached from the other games in the series

soft reboot has always been used to refer to black/white and to an extent, Ruby/Sapphire

since in B/W you only catch unova pokemon and it's fairly detached from the other games in the series

To be fair though, I think one could reasonably describe XY as a “soft reboot” in a sense as well, in that it’s a very introductory game with a back-to-basics story that introduces a lot of revolutionary new concepts to the series while also elevating it to an entirely new visual platform. But mainly I was just making a remark about how often fans have been suggesting reboots of any kind lately.

A reboot is when they throw out all established concepts and characters and start fresh.

I am aware. My post was largely sarcastic.

To be fair though, I think one could reasonably describe XY as a “soft reboot” in a sense as well, in that it’s a very introductory game with a back-to-basics story that introduces a lot of revolutionary new concepts to the series while also elevating it to an entirely new visual platform. But mainly I was just making a remark about how often fans have been suggesting reboots of any kind lately.

I agree. I'd even go so far as to say every generation is a soft reboot of sorts since we're in a new region with new characters

I agree. I'd even go so far as to say every generation is a soft reboot of sorts since we're in a new region with new characters
Since it’s all the same story in the same franchise occasionally with recurring characters but new protagonists/antagonists, they’re all pretty much soft reboots. Remakes are hard reboots

Reactions: SGD
Remakes are hard reboots
Quite simply, how? Remakes reuse much already-established content and are "their own thing" running alongside new generations. They serve as not only a way of profiting from nostalgia, but also keeping older generations relevant; they don't serve as hard reboots that scrap everything previously established. Pokemon has never had a hard reboot; not even LGPE is one (since Game Freak is continuing with the traditional formula from USUM and prior with the 2019 games).

I think with Pokémon there’s no official way to determine what games are hard and soft reboots because of the vague concept and perspective of what a hard and soft reboot is for the games.

Until game freak states, it’s just fan opinion vs fan opinion at the end of the day.

Isn’t it a first for a Pokemon game? Most Pokemon games are designed while keeping in mind that it might be someone's first game (which was very glaring in the case of Sun/Moon).

Well, it’s kind of hard to say without knowing exactly what he means. We should probably be wary of over-reading into that statement.

I mean, if you ask me, I wouldn’t call the Johto games an “entry point” even though they could theoretically work just fine as a first game, because it feels awkward coming directly into the aftermath of a previous story. Same for B2W2. So he could mean anything from toning down the amount of tutorials, to something like having a more involved storyline that works in a lot of things from previous games. Or he could even mean something besides those possibilities.

This is the first time they've straight up said that iirc.

it's a big deal imo because as @PkmnTrainerV mentioned, most of the games (especially X/Y and S/M) were designed to be accessible to everyone. They made it a point to appeal to newcomers. This mindset shines through from interviews pertaining to those games too (Masuda's infamous comments about mobile games, players not having time anymore, etc)

To say "these games will not be an entry point" is pretty blatant, even more so as he follows it with "these games will completely aimed at experienced fans". It really seems like they're building hype up for these games.

The last time an interview with gamefreak/TPC specifically mentioned that they were targeting longtime fans for for Black/White, where Masuda said they wanted to give old fans the feeling of playing their first pokemon game again.

I'm surprised this Ishihara article has seemed to have sorta flown under the radar, especially given the words he says about the 2019 games are exactly words the fans have been wanting to hear. The article is on serebii's main page and everything but there's barely been discussion for it (makes sense since the game is still a year away, but still)

Quite simply, how? Remakes reuse much already-established content and are "their own thing" running alongside new generations.
Hard Reboots are defined by story, not by Characters nor Concepts, you can keep everything or nothing, but a Reboot is defined by story alone, if Remakes replace the story of previous titles, they are Hard Reboots, because they Hard Reboot the stories that have been told in order to tell there own.

Look at J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movies, they have many familiar Characters, concepts and locations, but they are Hard Reboots, because the stories that previously existed in the universe, no longer do for the sake of the story they intend to tell.

New Generations are Soft Reboots because they are new stories within a preexisting universe without being sequels, Remakes such as ORAS are Hard Reboots because they are replacing a preexisting story, if I scrap many concepts and characters but tell the same story, this is a retelling, if I scrap everything, concepts, characters and story alike, this is a reinvention not a reboot as reboots must retain some semblance of what is being rebooted.

Given the introduction of Let's Go and the possibility that it may carry on into a sub-series of Pokemon games, it does seem like they may have possibly decided to split into "beginner-friendly" and games for long-time fans instead of trying to make a game that caters to everyone. Which makes a lot more sense than trying to stuff your entire userbase into the same bucket- you dumb the games down for beginners, then you fail to satisfy the long-time players.

Hopefully this direction will turn into a long-term benefit for the franchise.

Given the introduction of Let's Go and the possibility that it may carry on into a sub-series of Pokemon games, it does seem like they may have possibly decided to split into "beginner-friendly" and games for long-time fans instead of trying to make a game that caters to everyone. Which makes a lot more sense than trying to stuff your entire userbase into the same bucket- you dumb the games down for beginners, then you fail to satisfy the long-time players.

Hopefully this direction will turn into a long-term benefit for the franchise.
It won't. The games for long time fans will end up flopping because they won't attract enough players. Eventually, the traditional main series games will be phased out and GF will exclusively make Let's Go.

It won't. The games for long time fans will end up flopping because they won't attract enough players. Eventually, the traditional main series games will be phased out and GF will exclusively make Let's Go.
Woah too much negativity. If extremely narrative driven games like Sun and Moon sold nearly 16 mil, I think the main series is fine.

Woah too much negativity. If extremely narrative driven games like Sun and Moon sold nearly 16 mil, I think the main series is fine.
Well, those game attracted new players who made up the bulk of those sales. The 2019 game was outright stated to not be an entry game, meaning that it won't attract new players.

I really don't think they will phase out traditional games, heck, I don't even think they will phase out traditional remakes mainly because they acknowledge the long time fans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom