• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

I played through FRLG for the first time and had almost exactly the same team as you. And I swept through Brock with Charmander's metal claw...

Ah, but you are talking about FRLG. I was talking about the original Pokémon Red –which was referenced when people said “we as kids didn’t have to deal with yadda yadda” – where using a Charmander was akin to going in hard mode since it couldn’t learn anything to deal with Brock quickly. FRLG fixed this issue by letting it learn Metal Claw.

If there is something that people should question instead is why have Pikachu learn Double Kick and then have the guide ask to bring a Grass/Water Pokémon. I think it could have been equally interesting having the guy say “Hey, Pikachu can learn Double Kick! Did your Pikachu learn it? Come back once Pikachu knows that move.” It would have been a good way to give more importance to the starter while also ensuring that the Trainer had a super effective move for Brock.

Ah, but you are talking about FRLG. I was talking about the original Pokémon Red –which was referenced when people said “we as kids didn’t have to deal with yadda yadda” – where using a Charmander was akin to going in hard mode since it couldn’t learn anything to deal with Brock quickly. FRLG fixed this issue by letting it learn Metal Claw.

If there is something that people should question instead is why have Pikachu learn Double Kick and then have the guide ask to bring a Grass/Water Pokémon. I think it could have been equally interesting having the guy say “Hey, Pikachu can learn Double Kick! Did your Pikachu learn it? Come back once Pikachu knows that move.” It would have been a good way to give more importance to the starter while also ensuring that the Trainer had a super effective move for Brock.

Your second part is the point I wanted to make- the starter itself could learn coverage moves to deal with Brock and it happened with Charmander in FRLG.

While I think sometimes hand holding like this can be belittling...I think as long time Pokemon fans we're probably the worst judges of what needs to be explained to most players. Gamefreak probably has competent play testers from multiple countries, since this is a world wide title now. And the reasons they keep ignoring the fans cries to take out the hand holding is because the play testeing tells them to keep it in.

I think as long time Pokemon fans we're probably the worst judges of what needs to be explained to most players.
We all played Pokemon when we were kids. We didn’t need the gym guide forcing us to bring certain types just to beat a gym.

And as i said in the previous page, there are more sublte ways to teach kids about type advantages than what they’re doing in LGPE.

I feel like all they really need to do is bring back the Teachy TV (hi, Kanto feature!). That way, anyone who needs to look up the basics can easily do so whenever they want, and the rest of us can get on with our business.

We all played Pokemon when we were kids. We didn’t need the gym guide forcing us to bring certain types just to beat a gym.

And as i said in the previous page, there are more sublte ways to teach kids about type advantages than what they’re doing in LGPE.

Yes I remember beating Brock with a Butterfree but that was in a time when none of his low level rock type Pokemon knew any actual rock type moves.

Also we all have the problem of confirmation bias. All of us figured it out and we stuck with the games and became long time fans. I do have a few friends who really really struggled with Brock in yellow and it really tainted the rest of the experience for him.

Also we all have the problem of confirmation bias. All of us figured it out and we stuck with the games and became long time fans. I do have a few friends who really really struggled with Brock in yellow and it really tainted the rest of the experience for him.
Sucks for your friends i guess.

But your Pikachu can learn Double Kick in LGPE, and they probably added something super effective against rock to Eevee too. Newcomers to the series would a have a harder time not beating Brock than losing to him in LGPE. The Grass/Water restriction just seems excessive.

Well who the heck ever stops to talk to random npcs to get tips unless you're forced to talk to them.

Me. I talk to everyone because by doing so you can get items and stuff. Why waste money on potions when talking to a npc can get you them for free, allowing you to use that money towards balls or other good items.

And the whole issue is what it says for the rest of the game. What other kinds of restrictions will gyms have? Why should we have such ridiculous restrictions. We don’t even know if you can use the pc box in the gym, so what if it screws someone you want as part of your team to gain exp, out of that exp because you now have that Pokémon taking up a slot. And yes I know it’s the first gym, but again we don’t know if they’ll pull this stuff in other gyms.

Sucks for your friends i guess.

But your Pikachu can learn Double Kick in LGPE, and they probably added something super effective against rock to Eevee too. Newcomers to the series would a have a harder time not beating Brock than losing to him in LGPE. The Grass/Water restriction just seems excessive.

Double Kick on Pikachu is kinda pointless if you think about it, since you need a Grass or Water type too acces the gym, so why not use that instead.

The gym guide would tell you but you had to talk to him, I always passed by him without ever talking to him. I played fire red when I was 6 and I used simple logic, oh its a rock type, I've seen karate where people break bricks, fighting is strong to rock! I brought a mankey in to fight brock (and because I watched the anime at the time and wanted a team to match Ashs, which I did loosely)

But still for kids that have never played and for go players where type match up doesn't matter I can see why they'd have a guide there to tell them what is super effective

But still for kids that have never played and for go players where type match up doesn't matter I can see why they'd have a guide there to tell them what is super effective
This isn’t just “telling” kids though. This is straight up forcing them to bring a specific type to the gym.

Telling kids would be:

Trainer is about to walk into gym. A random guy stops the trainer and speaks: Hey trainer! You heading to Brocks gym? He uses rock types. Unless you have a water or grass type, you’ll have a hard time against him.

Trainer then walks into gym despite not having water or grass.

Once again, I don’t think this is this kind of terrible tragedy as some people are painting it. I mean, if you have to show to the guy the Grass/Water Pokémon only during the first scripted dialog, then nothing is stopping you from stepping out of the Gym (if the portable box doesn’t work), depositing the Pokémon and facing the Gym.

Besides, it also goes in tandem with the whole “catch ‘em all” of the franchise, as in “catch different types to face different challenges”.

Really, I feel like some people are making mountains out of anthills. I take having to bring a type-specific Pokémon rather than having to waste an HM on a Pokémon to get forward in a Gym (like in the Johto games where you are actually forced to bring Strength for the Fighting Gym).

Hold up, I just looked up the demo again and read through it. And it says plain as day Pewter city's gym only allows favorable type match ups to enter. Meaning Pewter gym is the only one with that requirement...What are people even complaining about?!

Hold up, I just looked up the demo again and read through it. And it says plain as day Pewter city's gym only allows favorable type match ups to enter. Meaning Pewter gym is the only one with that requirement...What are people even complaining about?!
It’s what it implies. It implies other gyms possibly having restrictions as well. These restrictions could just end up making the game unenjoyable. They already took away battling wild Pokémon. And made earning exp annoying.

I’m pretty sure everyone complaining about it here is aware of that. The thing is, it’s not the point. It’s an issue of principle. GF’s goal is ostensibly to educate players about type weaknesses, but there are plenty of non-intrusive ways in which they could do (and have done) that. Requiring us to show a Grass- or Water-type Pokémon to get into the Gym in the first place is completely unnecessary, so why make us do it at all? Furthermore, the handholding aspect of it feels redundant considering that a) it’s a pretty easy phase of the game already, so do they have to so blatantly encourage you to take the easiest possible way of getting through it on top of that? And b) you’re already going to have a Pikachu with Double Kick or an Eevee likely with its own supereffective equivalent, so the Grass- or Water-type isn’t even needed in order to have an advantage against Brock.

It’s what it implies. It implies other gyms possibly having restrictions as well.

Not necessarily. The trailer makes it clear that the rule is set in place for Trainers who are just beginning their journeys. Other Gyms could either have no such rule, or even have rules that could make things more challenging and interesting for the late Gyms.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom