• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

With Smash coming to Switch, What Pokemon would you like to see playable?

Pikachu and Charizard (and if he returns Greninja) should have anime screenshots with them and Ash together as congratulations screens for completing Classic and All-Star. This would mean that in at least the new Smash game, we'd be playing as Ash's Pikachu, Charizard, and (possibly) Greninja.
I don’t think that would be a good idea. A lot of people don’t like ash and it ruins them if that’s what they are. If someone wants to play as ash’s Pokémon then they can imagine it. By leaving them not being ash’s, allows for more imagination for te other players who don’t like ash.

I don’t think that would be a good idea. A lot of people don’t like ash and it ruins them if that’s what they are. If someone wants to play as ash’s Pokémon then they can imagine it. By leaving them not being ash’s, allows for more imagination for te other players who don’t like ash.

Not exactly a valid reason. A lot of people aren't going to like various things in Smash simply because it wasn't what they wanted or what isn't in Smash is what they wanted. *coughgokucough*

Not exactly a valid reason. A lot of people aren't going to like various things in Smash simply because it wasn't what they wanted or what isn't in Smash is what they wanted. *coughgokucough*
Isn’t Pikachu’s entry animation it coming out of a pokeball? Doesn’t hat already raise problems with trying to make it “Ash’s” pikachu?

And yes, I think it would be funny to see a game where every fan got their wish, but then I remember that Bayonetta won the Smash Ballot and I hate her so... I don’t want that.

Honestly, one of the things that annoyed me about Smash on the Wii U was that they didn't have a grass starter. Grass starters get overlooked so often, and I hate that, since they're my personal favourites. Make it an even playing field with Charizard, Greninja and (my personal favourite) Sceptile. Or add Decidueye, or even the Gen 8 starter.

Other than that I just want Lucario to return and I'm indifferent to the rest.

One thing I want if Mewtwo returns is for him to be voiced in the English version by Phil Bartlett who voiced him in the First Movie's dub. That was the first exposure to Mewtwo for many of us who never got around to capturing him in the original games.

Well, I would like everyone from the past Smash games to return including Wolf, Pichu, Ice Climbers and Snake. The Switch has more power than the 3DS and Wii U, so technical limitations should not be a reason to cut anymore veterans. However, Pokémon Trainer could be the only one cut because when the 3DS limitations got rid of transformations and separated Samus from Zero Suit Samus, Zelda from Sheik, and made Charizard his own character, it actually was an improvement. Now you don't have to be afraid of the Smash Ball when using one version of Samus, your opponent wouldn't switch between Zelda and Sheik when you want to fight just one or the other, and the stamina and forced switching is gone from Charizard. I would like Squirtle and Ivysaur to return too as solo characters like Charizard with the advantages of not being controlled. And if it's stated that "All playable fighters will return," the Trainer is not much of a fighter because he's just chilling in the background and you control Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle, so he wouldn't really count. So Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario and Greninja could all return. The Trainer can't without hurting Charizard and bringing back a mechanic that was proven to be better off without. As for Pokémon newcomers, Decidueye would be a great for bringing it up to Generation 7. Blaziken would be great too if you want to complete the non-Kanto trio of Grass-Fire-Water. The non-Pokémon characters I really want in Smash 5 is Daisy from the Mario sports games (she is hotter than Waluigi in my opinion), Tails from the Sonic series to show that 3rd party franchises can have two representitives, and Goku from Dragon Ball Z just to prove those naysayers wrong. How much Pokémon content has been more inspired by the anime than the games? Also, James Bond was considered for Melee. He didn't make the cut because of the film rights, but if he almost got into Melee, maybe Sakurai is okay with other media characters?

Realistic: Hopefully keep the current set of Pokémon, add either Decidueye or Lycanroc.

Dream: Keep the current set, add Haxorus and Decidueye or Lycanroc.

In my perfect little world it'd be Simsage, but I know that's unlikely. I'd be cool with Decidueye or Incineroar.

I'd be very surprised if Greninja stays, but Lucario did stay so who knows. As a fighter it does have plenty of fans and I think they're hesitant on removing fighters precisely because of their players
(So I guess if something goes it may be Mewtwo again...?)

Decidueye seems the most "gen VII playable mascot" to take that place, and it does fit a niche as a primarily ranged fighter

given the sheer number of pokemon fighters I don't really want any new fighters than something to represent the current pokemon generation, it and Fire Emblem were drowning the other casts last time. And like, this isn't mugen

That said... Alternate costumes and things like that would be great. I'm sad there was no Pikachu Libre for Pikachu. Even Ash-Greninja would work, if Greninja stays

Assuming they keep Greninja, and they'd be crazy not to, I'd be shocked if his Final Smash wasn't Ash-Greninja. (Bonus points if they play his theme song!)

I'd like seeing either Sceptile or Feraligatr -- both are great Pokémon with cool designs, and, sincerely, I'd love to see them fight with other characters in a new Smash game.

I'm gonna be honest: I'm not holding my breath for a pokemon who isn't Charizard, Mewtwo or Pikachu being playable. There MAY be a new gen pokemon in there but I really can't imagine who, especially since sun and moon aren't super popular per se.

I don't see this happening at all, but I'd love Lurantis to be playable, I love battling with mine and I reckon it would look so cool in Smash.

I don't want another starter Pokemon to become playable in Smash, since we already have/had so much (Pikachu, the Pokemon Trainer/Charizard, Greninja. That's 5 starters vs 4 non-starters). I also don't feel like any Gen 7 Pokemon, besides the starters, works well as a fightable character. If I was forced to choose one, I'll probably say Mimikyu, but since I'm not forced to, I'll say a Gen 8 'mon.

It’s a few pages old but I thought it was relavent to revive this, given the big Smash news at E3.

Huge surprise that every character is returning. That makes for a very large Pokémon roster.

Personally, I’m super hype for the return of the Pokémon Trainer. Ivysaur was my favorite fighter in Brawl, and I look forward to being able to play as it again.

^ Totally agree. Ivysaur was my favorite as well, and now, you can play as it without having to worry about stamina! Not only that, but I can finally be Leaf instead of Red. I've been waiting for this since 2008.

Anyway, what I'd like to see should they add new Pokemon? I'd like to see Zoroark or Primarina, as unlikely as they might be. Though I doubt they're going to add much in the way of new playable characters, if at all. But I do hope we at least get a representative from either Gen 5 or 7 if anything.

Last edited:
Leaf is a playable alternate for Pokemon Trainer. Also there is a female Pikachu alt. That's all I really wanted.
Otherwise for new Pokemon. All I ask is no more Generation I Pokemon. For the love of god, no more.

I have no idea if he's already playable or not, but I think it would be hilarious to watch Jigglypuff and Kirby have a throw down.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom