• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chances are that you'll still have to rely on trades with LGPE players as far as the 2019 games are concerned, but are you a Pokedex completionist or something? You haven't even played any of the Unova/Kalos games, nor have you finished SM. You've gone on record as saying that you don't much care for post-Johto critters. There is nothing wrong with that, but it makes your claims inconsistent.
I'm pretty much a completionist, yeah. =/ I try to complete everything in a game, which really makes me into my own worst enemy and is a huge factor into why I drag through finishing any of them. And of course, most of my pokemon are stuck in Gen 4 with no way to move them up to Gen 7 so... that totally hasn't helped.

I do like a lot of post-Johto mons, though, I just prefer the simpler designs of Gen 1 and 2 overall. And don't like most of Gen 5, which is how I wound up with my pokemon-trapped-in-Gen-4 problem.

I'm also going off the assumption that I'll even like whatever special pokemon is coming out of LGPE. XD

Last edited:
The point still stands that it’s an obnoxious hurdle if you want to go that route.

And isn’t that rather limiting at that point in the game? What Pokémon even qualify that you can catch by then? Oddish for grass and... what? You have to start with Pikachu or Eevee so it’s not like you can pick a starter of that type.

And does this restriction hold for all the gym leaders? Do they require grass or electric to get into Cerulean Gym?

You have access to your PC straight from your bag. It takes no more than a couple of seconds to deposit a grass or water Pokemon as soon as you show it to him. It really isn't that big a deal to get upset over. If we didn't have bag access to the PC then yes, it would be an annoying hurdle, but we do, so I don't see the big deal.

With the recent news, I no longer think that Let's Go is replacing the traditional main series.

There was nothing that should have led you to that conclusion to begin with.

Last edited:
Hey, there's one new feature for LGPE that we haven't really talked about- pokemon in the overworld. Anyone for or against that being added to Gen 8?

It has a very GO-vibe to it (albeit less stationary) that feels like it may just be part of LGPE's GO theme, but it's also something like following pokemon that could make it into the next games. Don't know if I care too much about the "bigger" or "smaller" aspect, though that could be interesting, but I think I would like to have wild pokemon roaming around the overworld map. There could be a chaining opportunity there if you can dodge pokemon to encounter the same one multiple times.

Hey, there's one new feature for LGPE that we haven't really talked about- pokemon in the overworld. Anyone for or against that being added to Gen 8?

It has a very GO-vibe to it (albeit less stationary) that feels like it may just be part of LGPE's GO theme, but it's also something like following pokemon that could make it into the next games. Don't know if I care too much about the "bigger" or "smaller" aspect, though that could be interesting, but I think I would like to have wild pokemon roaming around the overworld map. There could be a chaining opportunity there if you can dodge pokemon to encounter the same one multiple times.
I really like it. I'm likely to know all of the Pokemon being released already a few weeks beforehand, so it'll be cute to see the new Pokemon like that.

Also, new Pokemon pop up out of the grass every so often, so that's nice.

Can you link the image? Even if it's fake, it would still be nice to see.

Inb4 the new Pokemon ends up being Mewthree.
I don't have the 4chan link
But here are the images

DfPwj8aV4AEzKh3.jpg DfPwj8YUYAAl9B3.jpg

I still think they look like Temtem.

I'm completely in favor of this. Like I said, after playing game after game that has random encounters made me hate them with a passion, specially since most of them doesn't have Repel-like items and have a high encounter rate. There's also the fact that I have bad luck when looking for Pokémon, so overworld encounters will make things less frustrating for me.

I'm all for it. Viridian Forest looked very alive in the E3 demo, which is something areas have sorely lacked until this point. Usually it's just a bunch of NPCs. The only problem I have with it is that it looked too crowded at some points. And Mt. Moon from the initial trailer had too many in one tiny area too, so maybe it's something they can work on.

I'm all for it. Viridian Forest looked very alive in the E3 demo, which is something areas have sorely lacked until this point. Usually it's just a bunch of NPCs. The only problem I have with it is that it looked too crowded at some points. And Mt. Moon from the initial trailer had too many in one tiny area too, so maybe it's something they can work on.
I'm hoping that we will get a much bigger world so that population density won't seem as bad. Obviously not BOTW level of huge, but considerably larger than the narrow paths we've been used to would be a good switch up that would allow for a lot of roaming pokemon without making it look like the crowds at Disney.

I think it’s a good idea, but should be improved in the future. In LGPE the Pokemon don’t seem to do anything in the overworld, just running around waiting for the player to catch them. It’d be more interesting if certain species tried to run away, others would chase the player, and some Pokemon would interact with each other(like Pidgeotto chasing a Magikarp).

I think it’s a good idea, but should be improved in the future. In LGPE the Pokemon don’t seem to do anything in the overworld, just running around waiting for the player to catch them. It’d be more interesting if certain species tried to run away, others would chase the player, and some Pokemon would interact with each other(like Pidgeotto chasing a Magikarp).
I could go for some AI- I swear, if there's an area with Zangoose and Seviper and you don't come up to them at least chasing each other off, I would be disappointed.

I'm down for a feature like that, they already have the models and animations for every Pokemon to make that possible.

I'm a Nuzlocker (holds for groans and eyerolls), so I would be disappointed if this encounter system was implemented in the 2019 games. Of course, I also understand GameFreak has no obligation to cater toward our fan-made challenge, so I wouldn't hold it against them.

I would not be opposed to Pokemon popping up occasionally in a similar way to ORAS (not necessarily limited to shadows). The overworld Pokemon in LGPE made the area too busy for my taste, and I am not a fan of the tall grass essentially remaining for aesthetic purposes only. But this may be my bias showing.

I would not be opposed to Pokemon popping up occasionally in a similar way to ORAS (not necessarily limited to shadows). The overworld Pokemon in LGPE made the area too busy for my taste, and I am not a fan of the tall grass essentially remaining for aesthetic purposes only. But this may be my bias showing.

They do that, if you look closely, there are pokemon popping out of the grass. That's why they mantained the grass in this game. Same applies to caves and water.

Don't know if I care too much about the "bigger" or "smaller" aspect, though that could be interesting, but I think I would like to have wild pokemon roaming around the overworld map.
I actually think the bigger and smaller Pokémon aspect would help put more emphasis on the weight mechanics by not just affecting the lightest and heaviest Pokémon out there. It would really shake up competitive for sure.

I actually think they're slowly moving away from tall grass...Or at least, the overworld is becoming much more lifelike. In XY, there are some Pokemon who drop down from the ceilings of caves, swoop down at you from treeptops, jump out at you from bushes, pop out of the dirt, etc. There's the appearance of Pokemon via the DexNav, which could compliment a more active overworld quite nicely, letting you scan Pokemon before a Battle. And now this Let's Go game, where Pokemon are just out and about. Ultra Sun and Moon had a little bit of this too (though it was more of an aesthetic thing).

I'd love if they took things further. Maybe you disturb a nest of sleeping Pokemon and trigger a horde Battle. Maybe Pokemon who are territorial can spot or hear you nearby, and chase you down. Stuff like that.

Last edited:
Another thing that I fear will happen is that they will get rid of all of the Pokemon except for the original 151.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom