• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Gym ideas

Shenili

That third Unova Starter
Reaction score
I have no idea if there is a Gym Leader thread or not, but I'm pretty sure they there shouldn't be any Gym threads.

So.. do you have any Gym ideas? Some interesting themes or puzzles..? Maybe some type themed like Viola's gym with web or some less type-centered like Brawly's Gym (in RSE)?

Here's mine for example:
The Gym will be a big, long room with entrance on one end and a Gym Leader on the other. Above him/her will be a Moon crescent. To get to the Gym Leader, Trainers would have to move through a maze with water (they could also use surfing Pokemon too) In the maze there would be switches that will turn the crescent. Like in the real world where gravitational forces change tides, turning off the Moon will move water in the gym.

Oh, so you meant for the games. If I am write, then allow me to explain my opinion as a first answer to you in this thread.

My idea is to allow to choose the gym leader who you can challenge by yourself, and not just challenge the gym leader who in the game. I think that they should do this. Or putting the game in the beach such as the beach is the gym

And glad to be the first one who answer you here

I could see a Africa Safari , sandy desert oriented region, just think of it.

a Swamp oriented Gym with a araquanid water /bug, water/ground seismitoad, water/grass aligator with Disquise?(water)

a Desert oriented gym? with ground ,normal , dragon and rock types. (normal+mixed)

a Sand(if we ever get ground type terrain ability and move) gym with Palosand,(ground)

a Sun gym with fire/grass, fire/water and fire/bug pokemon? (fire)

a Corral gym with pokes like Barbaracle , Corsola and maybe a new rock water pokemon with sap sipper ?(rock/water)

a Sandstorm(Shamal) gym, with rock types,Gabite ,maybe a new ground/flying Muk like pokemon.()

A Oasis gym with water , grass and ground oriented pokemon.(Could see Luidulo or new grass/electric pokemon)(grass)

A Cold gym, with Ice types that are active by night or catched in caves or that burry under the ground.
could see a fire/ice or new ice/ground, ice/bug, there. (ice)

Or think of a totally ice oriented region:

1.Tundra badge, new ice/grass, grass/rock and grass/ground pokemon (grass)
2. Cold Sea badge, maybe new water/dragon, waterelectric (water)
3. Mystic Wood badge, diffrent fairies (fairy)
4. Dark Night, (dark )
5. Mountain, gym ground, ice ,flying rock and mixed. (rock)
6. Warm springs, new fire/water, fire/ice pokemon(fire)
7. Wiking badge, with fighting type pokemon. (fighting)
8. Ragnarock badge, dragon oriented. (dragon)

Type: Fairy
Badge: Slyph Badge
Gift: TM99 (Dazzling Gleam)

Team:
Klefki (Lv. 55)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Heal Block
- Psychic
- Magic Room

Ribombee (Lv. 54)
- Dazzling Gleam
- Pollen Puff
- Quiver Dance
- Aromatherapy

Togetic (Lv. 54)
- Safeguard
- Wish
- Yawn
- Dazzling Gleam

Kirlia (Lv. 55)
- Draining Kiss
- Future Sight
- Psychic
- Double Team

Layout:
An enchanted forest maze. You have to navigate yourself through trees that exit in random places. The puzzle changes everytime you exit and re-enter the Gym.

what about a gym oriented not in type itself but more in speed?
what about a grass gym with our Queen majesty ability pokemon and maybe with a other grass pokemon that could say sumon psychic terrain?
Maybe+ trick room and some other things to show how important speed is in battle?

I'd like a gym that isn't monotype, but rather centered on a common weakness. It could encourage you to think about which weakness all the Pokémon in the gym have in common without being too difficult for the target audience.

I'd like a gym that isn't monotype, but rather centered on a common weakness. It could encourage you to think about which weakness all the Pokémon in the gym have in common without being too difficult for the target audience.
I like that idea! Especially since it would also make you think about the secondary typing of those Pokémon, and Pokémon that use their secondary typing to overcome their primary weakness. Say all the Pokémon are weak to Ground. You might have one trainer who uses the Electric/Water-Type Lanturn, which would force the Challenger to think about if they wanted to throw their Ground Type at this Water Type. Or they might use Magnezone or Metagross, who can use Magnet Rise to protect themselves from Ground Type attacks for a limited time.

There isn't a gym, instead, someone shady asks you if you'd be "up to the challenge" to find the next gym leader.

As you go around the town suddenly people who were just casually hanging in alleys start battling you.

They all wield Dark types. The entire town is the Dark type gym, and the leader is hidden somewhere in it. (They give you clues to where to go next and red herrings, the gym leader is in a tiny unmarked building that actually plays the gym theme when you enter)

So even with a Dark type Gym Leader there's no Dark type Gym

Last edited:
I had an idea for a gym one time on the old forum, idk if that thread still exists. Regardless, it was a gym that focused on manipulating weather mechanics. It would probably be the 7th or 8th gym, the purpose being to show the player how much weather can affect a battle. Most of the gym trainers would probably be Ace Trainers or Pokémon Rangers or something, and they would have teams that took advantage of the weather in different ways. For example, a team that relied on Sandstorm and used mostly Rock and Ground Type Pokémon, but perhaps also used Pokémon like Cacturne and Heliolisk. One Trainer might use Rain to boost Water Type attacks, while another may use it as a supporting role, to help protect his/her Pokémon from Fire Type attacks. And, just to make things extra interesting, some of the Trainers would challenge you to a Tag Battle (in the same way we had in Emerald and Platinum, where to separate Trainers would challenge you at the same time), and the Gym Leader would challenge you to a double battle. That way you would also learn how manipulating the weather is so useful when you have two Pokémon out. The Leader would obviously use Castform, who would control the weather to support its allies, but the others would carry weather-inducing moves or abilities as well just in case Castform is knocked out.

I have an idea for a Fairy gym.

For Fairy, the leader would be an owner of a crafts shop. It would be in a mall and random people walking through it would be its trainers. The leader would be a double battle and is all about beauty and pulling off a show. It would be the 1st gym.

The Pokemon would be:

Cutiefly (Lvl. 12) Sylveon (Lvl. 14)
-Dazzling Gleam -Tackle
-Absorb -Baby-Doll Eyes
-Stun Spore -Fairy Wind
-Fairy Wind -Quick Attack

Morelull (Lvl. 12) Carbink (Lvl. 13)
-Absorb -Harden
-Astonish -Tackle
-Flash -Smack Down
-Moonlight -Rock Throw

After winning, you would be awarded the Dazzle Badge and the TM Dazzling Gleam.

Last edited:
an "Ancient" Gym with Fossil Badge that uses the best fossil pokemon we ever got.
I could imagine it as 7 or 8 gym where a 3vs3 or 8 gym a double and 3vs3 could happen.
Want to see Rampardos and Tyrantrum again in battle.

Also new fossil pokes could get added.

We gotta have a dark-type gym. Seriously, why haven't we got any dark-type gyms when all the other types including the recently introduced Fairy type have gyms?

We gotta have a dark-type gym. Seriously, why haven't we got any dark-type gyms when all the other types including the recently introduced Fairy type have gyms?
Honestly, I don’t really think they should. It’s almost like a running gag at this point, and it’s just one of the things that I think makes the dark type unique.

Take the idea of Petalburg Gym where each room challenges you with a different strategy and apply it to the whole gym.

Honestly, I don’t really think they should. It’s almost like a running gag at this point, and it’s just one of the things that I think makes the dark type unique.
It doesn't make the Dark type unique. It just makes it look like the creators don't really care that much about the Dark-type. The more left out the Dark type gets, the more we want a Dark gym. And I don't really get the joke of Dark type never getting a gym.

Digging out this thread since I just came up with a fun idea for a Ghost type gym.
Well, it would probably an early game gym, probably second or third, considering it'd be more gimmicky than challenging, but basically gym would be based on the Styx river - a long, dark, winding corridor filled with water, with a small ferry/horizontal moving platform operated by a silent guy in hooded robe taking the challenger from entrance to gym leader, stopping at different trainers. Possibly there would be crossroads at which player would have to chose which way the ferry should go. And there could be a plot twist: once the player arrives at leader's arena, there is no one here - at which point the ferryman takes off his robe, revealing himself (or even better, herself) as the gym leader, who turns out to be a nice and social guy/gal and simply does the whole "River of Death" schtick for lulz.

Digging out this thread since I just came up with a fun idea for a Ghost type gym.
Well, it would probably an early game gym, probably second or third, considering it'd be more gimmicky than challenging, but basically gym would be based on the Styx river - a long, dark, winding corridor filled with water, with a small ferry/horizontal moving platform operated by a silent guy in hooded robe taking the challenger from entrance to gym leader, stopping at different trainers. Possibly there would be crossroads at which player would have to chose which way the ferry should go. And there could be a plot twist: once the player arrives at leader's arena, there is no one here - at which point the ferryman takes off his robe, revealing himself (or even better, herself) as the gym leader, who turns out to be a nice and social guy/gal and simply does the whole "River of Death" schtick for lulz.

Have the ferryman wear a convincing grim reaper disguise with the OG Lavendar town theme playing in the background and it’ll be the best gym ever.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom