• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves that Pokemon should/should not be able to learn

Regigigas can't use Protect or Rest. I know it can't know those moves because it will counter its own ability... which is exactly why it needs to be able to learn them! Slow Start is objectively the worst ability and it is sad that it can't be countered unless Regigigas finds a way to hit a Cofagrigus with a physical move, and even that's rare. It's even more strange that Regigigas can't learn Rest because you literately wake it up when you bring the other three golems to it.

Healing Pokémon use Toxic for stalling.

I know its compeitive usage, but it doesn’t make logical sense for a healing Pokemon to poison people and Pokemon. They’ve adapted to have antidotes for poisons, not the poisons themselves.

Toxic has an unnecessarily large distribution, which doesn’t make sense when it comes to some Pokemon being able to learn toxic.

I know its compeitive usage, but it doesn’t make logical sense for a healing Pokemon to poison people and Pokemon. They’ve adapted to have antidotes for poisons, not the poisons themselves.

Toxic has an unnecessarily large distribution, which doesn’t make sense when it comes to some Pokemon being able to learn toxic.
Toxic was a technique that dates back 400 years according to Koga. It isn't even till Gen III that any Pokemon learn it naturally. So out of all TMs it seems the most like a learned technique rather than a move, so I think the wide distribution makes sense? Not to mention that (parts of) an antidote often can be poisonous, it's just that the way they work neutralises or halts the working of the original toxin, so any healing Pokemon could definitely create toxins as well

So... GameFreak is telling me three half-submerged moles, a rock that pretends to be a tree, a bug which created cloaks from various substances, a ghost owl and freaking psychic cats can learn how to use sucker punch- an unfair attack but not a literal heel wrestler whose entire job is to attack unfairly?

And of all things Snubbul and Meloetta can learn close combat but not Incineroar with bulging muscles?

Sucker Punch isn't a punch (it's "Surprise Attack" in Japanese), but yeah it does fit Incineroar. Also, why can't he learn Beat Up?

This reminds me of a similar discussion on another forum I read ages ago. Person 1 asked why Hitmonlee can learn Sucker Punch, but not Hitmonchan, Person 2 replied by saying that its Japanese name is Surprise Attack, and then Person 1 said that it was surprising because you'd expect Hitmonchan to punch, but not Hitmonlee.

I mean, compared to Incineroar they seem strange choices

If you know the move is intended to be a surprise attack (and not a literal punch) then what's strange about them? Dugtrio could burst out of the ground anywhere, Sudowoodo blends in with trees, Wormadam camouflage themselves and Decidueye is a stealthy treetops archer.

magic... do you want to make me mad or to see if I will explode?
Real life magicians also use real magnets for their magic tricks...
But if something has magical powers and we donthave any other move like magnet rise that allows user to levitate for 5 turns with the same effect why not give it that?
Google Technomancy mate.

This one is a bit weird, Druddigon can only learn Iron Head through Move Tutor, so not through level ups where it is actually a natural thing it would do in the wild? Pokedex entries love reminding us that its face is hard enough to break rocks, which you would think it would be able to do so without any human intervention. I don't know, it just seems weird to me that a Pokemon's best defensive action to do in the wild requires human intervention to do so.

Pokedex entries love reminding us that its face is hard enough to break rocks, which you would think it would be able to do so without any human intervention.

It seems to correspond more to Head Smash than Iron head imo...
And guess what? Druddigon doesn’t learn Head Smash at all, while Aegislash does for some reason.

The Dusknoir evolution line should be able to learn Hypnosis. They are all able to learn Dream Eater by TM, so it would make sense for them to learn a sleep-inducing move to take advantage of it. On top of that, Dusclops' Sapphire Pokédex entry even reads as follows: "This Pokémon hypnotizes its foe by waving its hands in a macabre manner and by bringing its single eye to bear. The hypnotized foe is made to do Dusclops's bidding." How come Ponyta and Rapidash can get Hypnosis, but not Dusclops and its evolutions?

Here's another strange one, Cryogonal can learn Attract even though it can never successfully use that move. What's even more strange is that they still didn't take that move out of its movepool.
I always just guessed it was because snowflakes are pretty or something. I mean, they do give it to Mew just for the reason that it gets to learn all TMs.

*checks and finds out that Minior and Dhelmise can learn Attract by TM too*

-gasp- So they do give it to Pokémon just for being beautiful!

The Dusknoir evolution line should be able to learn Hypnosis. They are all able to learn Dream Eater by TM, so it would make sense for them to learn a sleep-inducing move to take advantage of it. On top of that, Dusclops' Sapphire Pokédex entry even reads as follows: "This Pokémon hypnotizes its foe by waving its hands in a macabre manner and by bringing its single eye to bear. The hypnotized foe is made to do Dusclops's bidding." How come Ponyta and Rapidash can get Hypnosis, but not Dusclops and its evolutions?

Dusknoir is also missing Phantom Force. I'm surprised it didn't get it in ORAS when they must have gone over the Hoenn Pokemon's move lists.

Back
Top Bottom