• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

I know this is largely echoing sentiments from what others have said, but:

However, we have been continuously changing the formula of the games since our inception, and in the end the players have accepted those changes.
Maybe this is something lost in translation, but this seems like a really silly point to me. Change is a concept that can be applied in all sorts of ways to a game. Adding new Pokemon is a change, and so is removing old Pokemon. You can't expect people to have the same reaction to both-even though both are examples of change, they change the game in wildly different ways.
We will not go wrong with the basics, so please, trust us.
If we wanted the basics, why not just buy the VC RGBY games? They're cheaper and have no wait.

LGPE clearly isn't all about the basics-there's new graphics and new features, like GO compatibility. Heck, they actually remove some of the basics, by taking out trading and wild battles. So why cling to the "defense" that it's about getting back to the basics (a redundant goal) when it's not even about that? LGPE should be enjoyed as its own game, not because of how similar it is to another game you can buy already.
In Pokemon GO, you can take with you an associated Pokémon and walk with it, but if we return to its origin, we get to Yellow Pokémon. In Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee! We wanted to expand this feature even more
Maybe this is just me being petty, but I find it kind of frustrating that he's acting like following Pokemon only started with GO, when the concept was originally in HGSS. It feels like he's overlooking positives of previous main series games just to justify changes.
while Eevee has become very popular because it can evolve in many different ways.
"So, of course, we wanted to remove Eevee's ability to evolve in LGPE. Eevee's popularity was beginning to rival Pikachu's, and we needed to take that sucker down a peg."
And as I mentioned before, we want this to be the game that people go to play after Pokémon GO, since Pokémon Pokémon Red, Blue, Green and Yellow appear in Pokémon GO, so it seemed like a good decision.
There are also Pokemon from later games that appear in Go that aren't being featured. Heck, Mew appears in Go, but you can't even transfer it over to LGPE even if you've caught it.

This is all coming from someone who is genuinely excited for LGPE. I'm looking forward to the new graphics, the two-player modes, overworld wild Pokemon, the GO compatibility, the following Pokemon, and even the GO catching system, though I really wish it were optional instead of mandatory. But everything that I'm looking forward to? It's being added in LGPE, not removed.

by taking out trading
Just so you know, regular trading is still in (and works online). They've removed the fancier forms of trading: GTS and Wonder Trades.

Maybe this is just me being petty, but I find it kind of frustrating that he's acting like following Pokemon only started with GO, when the concept was originally in HGSS. It feels like he's overlooking positives of previous main series games just to justify changes.
He's actually just acknowledging Yellow as the game where the feature originated. HGSS greatly expanded it well before Go did, but I can see why they haven't mentioned that. If anything, it's weird that the Pokewalker hasn't been referenced yet, but that probably has to do with the new variant not offering any unique gameplay.

By the post-game only a fraction of players would even care about added Pokemon/features.
And there isn’t much point at adding cross-Gen evolutions in the post game unless you can do something with the Pokemon you raised other than rematches.

I really don’t see why the lack of cross-gen Pokémon during the main game is such a big surprise since it happened in the past already. This is pretty much what happens with every single remake:

- In FRLG, you can’t evolve your Golbat or Chansey until you beat the League and get the National Dex, for example. Can’t also get Espeon and Umbreon due to lacking an internal clock.

- In HGSS, you need to obtain things like Rock Climb and the Hoenn and Sinnoh Sounds to be able to find Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokémon.

- In ORAS, you can get a few post-Gen 3 after beating/catching the Primal of the game, so even in that case it’s pretty late game.

As such, I could see them pulling the same stunt with these games.

Weren’t Mamoswine and Lickylicky obtainable in HGSS though? Magnezone was missing due to the lack of a magnetic field, so they did allow cross-Gen evolutions whenever possible.
Yeah, they added the Pokémon to HGSS’ dex that evolve by knowing a move. However, they didn’t add any areas for evolution, and therefor didn’t add those evolutions to the dex. Same with newer stone evolutions. They simply just restricted access to the stones. Still salty I had to wait that long to evolve Togetic.

Yeah, they added the Pokémon to HGSS’ dex that evolve by knowing a move. However, they didn’t add any areas for evolution, and therefor didn’t add those evolutions to the dex. Same with newer stone evolutions. They simply just restricted access to the stones. Still salty I had to wait that long to evolve Togetic.

Still, it shows that the claim that every remake locked out cross-evolution is false.
ORAS also didn’t deliberately remove all cross evolutions as far as I know.

I refuse to compare LGPE to the other remakes. I feel like it's generally unfair to call it a full-fledged remake when I don't really consider it to be part of the main series. Overall, LGPE seems to really be a test demo serving three purposes:

1) To drive up both Pokemon and Switch sales by attempting to capture as many casual players of GO as possible into the console and main-series spheres, thanks in part to GO's immense popularity.
2) To shift the series from handheld to console from a hardware perspective (new specs, graphical enhancements, etc.)
3) To test the waters for what Pokemon can be on a console & set the stage for a much better overall Gen 8 game.

With this in mind, it's easier to see the game for what it is.

The controversy isn't coming from Lickylicky or Kingdra being obtainable or not, but rather from a lack of respect towards those generations. If Go accepted them before trades and legendaries, why shouldn't its brother game do the same?

Cost/Benefit is also a very important factor. They actively made us invested in region design in Gens 6 & 7 and in story in Gens 5 & 7, and now they're dropping both for no reason, expecting us to come into the game literally nostalgia-blinded. Announcing paywalls during the first month wasn't a good idea either, which turned out even worse than we feared, as they include limited trading and any chance of a Mew story.

Hard to really trust them when the last 5 years have been defined by them simplifying the game for casuals, removing content, and generally just providing bare minimum experiences that end up disappointing when we finally see the full package. Their actions don't really give a reason to trust them.

Hard to really trust them when the last 5 years have been defined by them simplifying the game for casuals, removing content, and generally just providing bare minimum experiences that end up disappointing when we finally see the full package. Their actions don't really give a reason to trust them.
Don't they remove content like all the time. And I swear simplification isn't a sin. People like little teenagers that get angered when people tell them stuff they know.

Don't they remove content like all the time.
And people get frustrated then, too. (How often have we seen people asking for the return of walking Pokemon since the feature disappeared?)
And I swear simplification isn't a sin.
Nobody's claiming it's a moral issue, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to be frustrated when a game that costs more contains less content.

And the people that would be pleased by this simplification could have enjoyed gameplay like this without removing the choice for others. If the starter Eevee was allowed to evolve, players that didn't want to evolve their Eevee could still press B. If Pokemon from other regions were allowed to be used in the game, players that just wanted to use Kanto mons could just refuse to catch other Pokemon. But instead, they've removed the ability to make that choice without including anything to make up for it.

And people get frustrated then, too. (How often have we seen people asking for the return of walking Pokemon since the feature disappeared?)

Nobody's claiming it's a moral issue, but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to be frustrated when a game that costs more contains less content.

And the people that would be pleased by this simplification could have enjoyed gameplay like this without removing the choice for others. If the starter Eevee was allowed to evolve, players that didn't want to evolve their Eevee could still press B. If Pokemon from other regions were allowed to be used in the game, players that just wanted to use Kanto mons could just refuse to catch other Pokemon. But instead, they've removed the ability to make that choice without including anything to make up for it.
It's a yellow remake, a game set in kanto where other gen pokemon didn't exist and your starter couldn't evolve. This was practically expected when rumors first showed up. Also Gen 4 brought back following pokemon, then planned to comeback during gen 6, and now it's coming back for real in this game, and potentially in gen 8. Heck remember when they said they wanted to take out customization because it was supposed to be gen 6 only till we changed they're mind? They do listen.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom