• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No chance. If Eevee gets an Evolution, then so does Pikachu, but since we know its only one Pokemon, both are out.

The new Pokemon is most likely a Mythical or Legendary.

While I agree that the new pokemon is most likely a mythical or legendary, I don't think there's absolutely no chance of eevee getting an evolution- neither starter can evolve, so there's no reason why pikachu would be obligated to one.

Kind of surprised there weren't more prominent points. From this, it seems that if a handful of new, creative, exclusive features are announced between now and launch, a lot more people will warm up to the games. Not much can be done about difficulty, since it's pretty subjective and unalterable.

So... thoughts?

They would have to be really really impressive features to change my mind, and I don't think there's any room for them.

Like I was nuts about Sun and Moon because it was an all new adventure and they dared to drop gyms for a change, so I had to see how that was going to play out. Plus I absolutely loved the idea of Alolan forms. Unfortunately, they did let me down- Trials haven't been all that exciting and could be drastically improved upon, most Alolan forms wound up looking like jokes and there were so few of them, and the Ultra Beast concept was a major disappointment when I learned that you could catch them. They were more appealing when I thought they were just going to be alien boss fights, then it turned out that they were pretty much just more legendary pokemon encounters. Whoopie. But at least the region was conceptually interesting.

Kanto doesn't really offer anything, though, and I can't imagine that they'll change it up much considering the nostalgia pandering- which I won't say is a bad thing because I believe that LGPE is intended as an opportunity for older fans to share their childhood experience with a younger generation, such as their kids. They kept quotes from the original games and I believe the grid map is so the region's layout is still familiar. Really, for what it is, I am not against LGPE existing- I just think it fills a role that doesn't apply to me.

If there are any other new features in LGPE, I imagine that they would be low key things that don't really contribute anything worthwhile, akin to the photo club that was introduced in USUM. Time to take a selfie, I guess.

Thanks for the input everyone! From what I've read it seems that the main reasons why people portray LGPE in a negative light (justifiably in a subjective manner) are...

1. Difficulty being clearly (as of now) decreased.
2. There being little new creative material (only 1 new Pokemon, old region, etc.)

Kind of surprised there weren't more prominent points. From this, it seems that if a handful of new, creative, exclusive features are announced between now and launch, a lot more people will warm up to the games. Not much can be done about difficulty, since it's pretty subjective and unalterable.

So... thoughts?

[In case you're curious about why I play Pokemon, it's mainly just because I like the strategy behind using supereffective attacks, abilities, and training Pokemon with high base stats. The only other thing to add is just that I like Pokemon for what they are: magical creatures that can have designs I like (kawaii mainly :X3:), so I'm VERY easy to impress when it comes to Pokemon games. Just a little insight :LOL:.]
I think those two points are perfectly valid. There’s a reason games like the Zelda franchise do so well. Even when they make another game in Hyrule, it’s a new version of Hyrule. They don’t rehash the same map without any updates. And as for the difficulty thing, that IS subjective. You can enjoy an easy game, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s just the unfortunate fact that these games ARE looking to be more simplified and, well, “easy” than what’s previously been established in the series. The games have had high points of being challenging. They’ve declined since then.

And as for any more points that haven’t come up, I think LPE are also suffering a bit due to the fact that we’ve already been promised another game after them. If these games were all that were on the horizon, people might be more willing to buy them in case lack of sales drives GF to stop making games (lol like that would happen). But since they’ve announced gen 8 already, people can decide they don’t want a game like this and wait instead.

While I agree that the new pokemon is most likely a mythical or legendary, I don't think there's absolutely no chance of eevee getting an evolution- neither starter can evolve, so there's no reason why pikachu would be obligated to one.
A new Eeveelution would overshadow the starter Eevee. It wouldn't make any sense (to say nothing of the movie), especially when they could wait just a year longer to add one.

If there are any other new features in LGPE, I imagine that they would be low key things that don't really contribute anything worthwhile, akin to the photo club that was introduced in USUM. Time to take a selfie, I guess.
To be fair, there are still almost 5 months left. Potential features that come to mind:

1. A sidequest about Missingno. the new legendary.
2. A racing mini-game.
3. Post-game islands. Only Johto has been ruled out.
4. Cyberspace travel with Porygon in 8-bit glory. Allows easier access to shinies and rare items.

None of these is all that great on its own (the islands would still be limited to Kanto Pokemon), but combined they could help the games' perception. Mind you, I won't buy the games anyway, but I'd wait until next month before declaring that we've seen it all.

BigBadButterfree said:
If these games were all that were on the horizon, people might be more willing to buy them in case lack of sales drives GF to stop making games (lol like that would happen).
Hmm, I doubt that many people would have thought that. If anything, they would have been worried about waiting three years in total between traditional releases, made worse by USUM's sameness.

Last edited:
and the Ultra Beast concept was a major disappointment when I learned that you could catch them. They were more appealing when I thought they were just going to be alien boss fights, then it turned out that they were pretty much just more legendary pokemon encounters.
In hindsight, the UB situation was a double edged sword. If they were only bosses that you could not catch, then hackers would start using them online and ruining the fun the fun of everyone else, same with the Motherbeast battle.

So I guess it was either make them catchable/only a trainer or remove them altogether. At least they tried something new.

And as for any more points that haven’t come up, I think LPE are also suffering a bit due to the fact that we’ve already been promised another game after them. If these games were all that were on the horizon, people might be more willing to buy them in case lack of sales drives GF to stop making games (lol like that would happen). But since they’ve announced gen 8 already, people can decide they don’t want a game like this and wait instead.
Yeah, it's pretty confusing what message TPCI / Game Freak are trying to send announcing the games like they did. I think they meant for the double-main-series-games announcement to elicit a "yay we get Pokemon games for this year and next!" kind of reaction, but was corrupted (somewhat) into "damage control" to "quell" the massive outrage for LGPE, along with the excuse you mention to just skip LGPE in favor of the 2019 games. Also, I think the issue is exacerbated somewhat by the fact that there are fans who are yet to buy a Switch, waiting for a main series or exclusive-to-Switch side Pokemon game to release on the console to do so (a.k.a. me). Since the price tag of a copy of LGP or LGE is actually $360, a remake just doesn't seem worth the price to many (a.k.a. not me).

SushiPushi said:
Since the price tag of a copy of LGP or LGE is actually $360, a remake just doesn't seem worth the price to many (a.k.a. not me).
That's pretty faulty logic if those fans are planning to get a Switch for the 2019 game. There might be a price drop by then, but that isn't a guarantee.

prog rocker said:
If they were only bosses that you could not catch, then hackers would start using them online and ruining the fun the fun of everyone else, same with the Motherbeast battle.
I'm pretty sure that even hackers can't use mythical Pokemon in rated battles. The same would go for faux Pokemon even in unrated battles if Game Freak enforced a simple check.

They wanted the UBs to shake up the metagame along with the Tapus. They didn't even care all that much about regular Alolan Pokemon in comparison.

Last edited:
At this point, we really don't know much about these games, so why bot just wait and see what gets revealed about them before bashing them?

Like sure, not many people wanted to go back to Kanto, but the graphics are amazing and we got following Pokemon back so I'm happy.

In hindsight, the UB situation was a double edged sword. If they were only bosses that you could not catch, then hackers would start using them online and ruining the fun the fun of everyone else, same with the Motherbeast battle.

So I guess it was either make them catchable/only a trainer or remove them altogether. At least they tried something new.

I don’t think it’s some corner they wrote themselves into. I think they probably just don’t see much value in the idea of creating a whole branch of diverse and highly creative, original designs and then using them just for a few one-off battles before letting them vanish into the aether, never to be seen again. Frankly, I myself have come to think that would have been a huge waste as well. The point of the UBs was to take the concept of invasive species and go meta with it by elevating it into a context that would lead to strange, convention-breaking designs for the franchise; hence, creatures from other dimensions. But if the UB idea is truly going to ride that thread, then of course those creatures should behave like common Pokémon within their own environments, because they’re just Pokémon that have been transplanted into a different, unfamiliar location. They’re not really supposed to be Lovecraft’s Elder Gods, or whatever, and I tend to think that would have been a generally less-interesting and too-abstract approach to them anyhow.

Actually, come to think of it, if anything should be an uncatchable boss, it’s really the big, titanically powerful Legendary Pokémon on the covers of the box that are often implicated in the continuation of some aspect of the natural order at large. An eleven-year-old really has no business commanding something that is purportedly responsible for the flow of time itself. Personally, it really does bother me far more that we can capture the tapu, which are the probably-unique, centuries-if-not-millennia-old cornerstone idols of Alolan culture and civilization, than catching the UBs, which are just their worlds’ Rattata and Pidgey, does.

Last edited:
Nothing should be uncatchable, ESPECIALLY Pokemon on the box arts. Being able to catch a legendary that controls a core of the universe itself is what makes this unique from other RPGs. No need for power limit in a franchise that emphasizes catching and training.

Last edited:
Nothing should be uncatchable, ESPECIALLY Pokemon on the box arts. Being able to catch a legendary that controls a core of the universe itself is what makes this unique to other RPGs. No need for power limit in a franchise that emphasizes catching and training.
Unless the thing in question isn't really a Pokémon at all, and Ultra Beasts are still technically Pokémon. I would honestly love to battle some sort of non-Pokémon threat using my Pokémon, but I doubt Game Freak will go that direction outside of PokéStar Studios.

Unless the thing in question isn't really a Pokémon at all, and Ultra Beasts are still technically Pokémon. I would honestly love to battle some sort of non-Pokémon threat using my Pokémon, but I doubt Game Freak will go that direction outside of PokéStar Studios.
See- this is exactly what I thought UBs were going to be and why I'm disappointed that they weren't. By making them catchable, they just became more pokemon. It would have been a much more interesting change of pace to make them non-pokemon- because we've fought pokemon against pokemon for forever now. The idea of having to fend off some dangerous non-pokemon felt like a cool change... and then "gotta catch 'em all" prevailed and of course they became collectible just like everything else. Had they not been pokemon, I feel like they would have been more iconic bosses than any of the big bad trainers we've faced.

At this point, we really don't know much about these games, so why bot just wait and see what gets revealed about them before bashing them?
That's what people are doing, for the most part. There's some things that are just guesses, like lack of new content or making the game easier, but lots of criticisms are about things that have been confirmed. (The restricted dex, the lack of evolution for starters, Mew only being obtainable through the 50$ accessory)

dudes mythicals have been behind paywalls for years. you’ve either had to pay for an average game or take a long drive/flight

sure you get the odd freebie now and then with the introduction of online play. there’s even been a mew giveaway in recent years

this isn’t a new thing though. criticise the notion of paywall mythicals all you want, but it is in no way specific to LGPE

Last edited:
dudes mythicals have been behind paywalls for years. you’ve either had to pay for an average game or take a long drive/flight

sure you get the odd freebie now and then with the introduction of online play. there’s even been a mew giveaway in recent years

this isn’t a new thing though. criticise the notion of paywall mythicals all you want, but it is in no way specific to LGPE
Also something I wanted to bring up. Manaphy was basically a $40 paywall (Pokemon Ranger), and no one was using such fact in negatively portraying Diamond and Pearl. Sure, the $40 provides you with some entertainment value, but the same could be said about the Poke Ball Plus at $50, which is basically the same price with inflation in mind. So, sure, someone can complain about Mew being a paywall, but it has nothing to do with LGPE's quality.

The only mythical Pokemon that were obtained through side games were Mew, Celebi, Shaymin, and Manaphy. That might have been close to the only method to get one in Gen 4, but there have been plenty of better methods since then.

"Long drive" is a location-dependent issue, and not one Game Freak has much control over. Lots of Game Stops are located near other businesses, so there's often to opportunity to stop by while getting groceries or eating out. I understand some people might be far away from a Game Stop, but I seriously doubt somebody needs to spend 50$ on gas to get there. And there's no way there are people who need to fly out to a Game Stop.

And the paywalls have been considerably decreased since their original appearance. In Gen 6, there were nine of the then-thirteen mythicals given through Nintendo Network, a method which didn't even cost gas money. Only Mew, Darkrai, Arceus, and Genesect weren't released through this method, and they were all released through code distributions that were pretty close to free. Gen 7 released Magearna through QR Code, another method that can be done without even paying gas money. So with all this considered, it is a perfectly reasonable complaint to see paywalls return, especially one so much more expensive than previous examples.

And in all of these examples, no mythical was actively prevented from being transferred in. If somebody playing Pearl wanted to transfer a Mew they received from its Gen 3 distribution, for example, they would have no problem with it. But in LGPE, people are prevented from transferring Mews that they've obtained through GO-and GO transferring is one of the major aspects of LGPE.
Neither is making a restricted dex in a remake, nor preventing starters from evolving. Nobody has claimed these criticisms are unique to LGPE, just that the issues are more of a problem than in previous instances.
Manaphy was basically a $40 paywall (Pokemon Ranger),
Manaphy has since been distributed for free and was never prevented from being transferred to games. (Pokemon Ranger was not the only method to obtain Manaphy, either-it had some events in Australia, the US, and Japan. List of local English event Pokémon distributions in Generation IV - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia List of local Japanese event Pokémon distributions in Generation IV - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia )
and no one was using such fact in negatively portraying Diamond and Pearl.
DP came out over a decade ago. I can't speak for everyone else, but I was two months away from being seven years old when DP came out in the US. I wasn't even old enough to post on forums. Chances are, the people posting their opinions now are not the same people posting their thoughts on DP back then-and even if they are, 11 years is more than enough time for someone to change their opinions.

Last edited:
Also something I wanted to bring up. Manaphy was basically a $40 paywall (Pokemon Ranger), and no one was using such fact in negatively portraying Diamond and Pearl. Sure, the $40 provides you with some entertainment value, but the same could be said about the Poke Ball Plus at $50, which is basically the same price with inflation in mind. So, sure, someone can complain about Mew being a paywall, but it has nothing to do with LGPE's quality.
I got Manaphy from a Toys R Us distribution promoting the movie and that was... about when Manaphy was first available, so its presence in the Pokemon Ranger game was never really notable.

...Except for the people that live outside countries that distribute events. Really, Pokémon Ranger was the only way I could get a Manaphy at the time.
Well- to the point of the paywall not being new, for most people I'd say that most of the past mythicals haven't had one due to event distributions. Yeah, the paywall may have existed for countries without these distributions, but I would sooner extend event distributions to those areas that didn't have them, rather than subject everyone to the same paywall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom