• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Opelucid gets frozen, and that's after you visit it. Some areas (mostly the initial BW areas) are relegated to the post-game just because they don't serve much of a purpose or are tied to the BW mascots (Icirrus and N's Castle).

I never played B2W2. Were the other areas of Unova present in BW accessible in the sequels? I know at a point that they're frozen over.

“Frozen over” is an exaggeration; contrary to the map artwork that they released, the only place that gets covered in ice is Opelucid City and the adjacent routes, and even then, you can still traverse them (albeit over ice-sliding puzzles). And that only happens after the seventh badge, and lasts only until you beat the Champion, after which point the ice melts away.

There are numerous areas from the original games that are blocked off until you beat the Champion, but you can access them after that point (which is part of the reason why B2W2 have such a large amount of post-game content). The only areas from BW that are removed completely are Route 10, most of the original Victory Road (there’s a new, bigger Victory Road instead), Challenger’s Cave, and most of the Relic Castle. And Cold Storage, technically, but that’s because it has been remodeled into the PWT port.

“Frozen over” is an exaggeration; contrary to the map artwork that they released, the only place that gets covered in ice is Opelucid City and the adjacent routes, and even then, you can still traverse them (albeit over ice-sliding puzzles). And that only happens after the seventh badge, and lasts only until you beat the Champion, after which point the ice melts away.

There are numerous areas from the original games that are blocked off until you beat the Champion, but you can access them after that point (which is part of the reason why B2W2 have such a large amount of post-game content). The only areas from BW that are removed completely are Route 10, most of the original Victory Road (there’s a new, bigger Victory Road instead), Challenger’s Cave, and most of the Relic Castle. And Cold Storage, technically, but that’s because it has been remodeled into the PWT port.
Why is Route 10 no longer accessible?

Edit: NVM I looked it up. Landslide 2 years prior.

Last edited:
Why is Route 10 no longer accessible?

Lore-wise, it’s because there was a landslide at Victory Road in the two years between the games, and it destroyed the path. Kind of similar to how Cinnabar’s volcano erupted in the time between RBY and GSC and destroyed the city on that island.

Gameplay-wise, it’s because that route just isn’t really necessary anymore since we access the new Victory Road from the east side of the region, through a new opening in the Giant Chasm. The route’s unique music can still be listened to in Icirrus City during the winter season, though, by talking to the Game Freak sound designer character in the house that used to belong to the retired Team Rocket grunt.

Part of me wants to believe that this event was a pun on a landslide victory. XD Someone won by a landslide. Literally.

Tell that to all my Pokémon that have been mowed down by that Hydreigon over the years... :eek:

oh a mega evolution?

No, a regular evolution. They planned to include it as the final stage of the Pikachu line in Gen 1, but decided to remove it for balance reasons.

In theory? Sure. But realistically speaking, why would they do that when they could instead just create a whole new region with its own identity? I think the old region would just end up diluting the new one in that scenario (unless it were Kanto, since Kanto is comparatively pretty small, immediately recognizable, and isn’t weighed down by too much of its own mythology - in other words, Kanto is very basic, which makes it much more applicable).

And of course there would be nothing stopping them from simply adding a new expanse of land to an existing region in, say, a remake, because that’s more-or-less just what B2W2 did.

yeah but new areas could also be added to an existing region. when looking at the maps there are alot of space unused on the land portion of the map.
to me it just doesnt make sense long term to keep making new regions just to have a remake of it later when they could merge new gens and (new and old) regions and new parts of the map together while expanding on the story by game.

yeah but new areas could also be added to an existing region. when looking at the maps there are alot of space unused on the land portion of the map.

Which as I said is essentially just what B2W2 did. So certainly that’s possible - they’re just not very likely to refer to those new areas as a new region. They would either just be treated as new parts of whatever region we’re revisiting, or they would be handled like the Sevii Islands.

to me it just doesnt make sense long term to keep making new regions just to have a remake of it later when they could merge new gens and (new and old) regions and new parts of the map together while expanding on the story by game.

The current formula has worked out great for them so far, so there isn’t much of an impetus for them to stop that in favor of a more confusing hybridization of regions.

Which as I said is essentially just what B2W2 did. So certainly that’s possible - they’re just not very likely to refer to those new areas as a new region. They’ll just be new parts of whatever region we’re revisiting.

The current formula has worked out great for them so far, so there isn’t much of an impetus for them to stop that in favor of a more confusing hybridization of regions.

maybe its just me but eventually over time they will have to connect the regions together more in some way beyond just a few references here and there. shrugs

They technically could connect Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Almia somehow since they are based on Japan. Orre and Unova are the other possible connections since they are based on the United States. Kalos and Alola are the only ones that can't connect to another region (except by plane).

maybe its just me but eventually over time they will have to connect the regions together more in some way beyond just a few references here and there. shrugs
As much as I'd really like to see all of the regions connected together, there really isn't any reason why they should have to, unless they were to make one huge as heck multi-region game, and even then, there are ways of incorporating multiple areas without having to put together a world map.

A multi-region game is not exactly needed. They could do that for an artbook but I don't think Game Freak does them, and the closest thing was the Ken Sugimori one that only had like 10 pages on Pokémon (including that famous magazine cover).

I have this feeling it may have been repurposed into Skitty. No textual evidence and they're pretty different, but judging by how they cleaned up or changed some designs for future games, it wouldn't surprise me. Mainly I'm going off of Skitty's tail.

I won't accept this, I DEMAND the bell cat.

GF always cheating us out of good things, SMH. Even though I love Skitty~

GF always cheating us out of good things, SMH. Even though I love Skitty~
Yeah. Doesn't help that they also removed Farfetch'd and Qwilfish's evolutions (even though they are really needed), Mega Flygon and Delibird's moveset.

EDIT: I forgot Weepinbell's alternate evolution. That was sad too.

EDIT 2: I also forgot Pinsir's evolution. Why Scyther got to keep its evolution but Pinsir no?

Last edited:
Why would they need to connect them?
well, if they keep essentially making new regions with new pokemon and they have a similar set up it would just seem like too many separated games unless they some how connect the individual regions/games together in some fashion.
Im not saying that they all need to be literally put together on one map, but they will eventually need to touch base that this is one world. I just think they will eventually need to connect them a little more and give the story a chance to get a little more complex to avoid the same old remakes habit, to make things intersect more, and to help all the pokemon feel together and not forgotten because of how old whatever generation is. I think the pokemon company has had thoughts on gen 1&2 being forgotten and have seemed to have pushed on them more. Some people have been "tired" or "frustrated" or "bored" with certain pokemon or generations as we fans call them being pushed. Finding a way to merge things a little bit may relieve that kind of negative concern/feeling. Allow regions and generations to flow together better and remakes feel more natural and still moving forward at the same time as enjoying some familiar things with new things.

--->I guess a way to pull all this stuff that is shown in individual games together more is what I am trying to say. So merging (a little bit more than just a few sentence references from CPUs and myths) what we see are separate games regions and generations would help that issue. <---

It is possible that Gen8 may start that process or touch base on that more than previous games because eventually, something will have to be done to pull things together and have a better overall flow.
They did say that the Let's Go games will be introductory for people (basically new players who have an interested in pokemon) while the 2019 games will be more for the core players. This I am hoping will point to the core games getting more complex and move forward a little bit more in the pokemon world and of course having less hand holding in game play.
The Switch system does allow more potential on what can be done in the games after all.

edit here i will give a mini example

now i know this map may not be "correct" but it can serve my purpose of trying to explain.
I am not suggesting throwing all the regions together, but during game play or as post game, whatever, you can have partial regions included in your new or revisited region. So that the story of pokemon research or discovery and continue to easily flow while new games keep coming. something can cause a reason to "crossing the border" per say of whatever regions may be close by. of course have added areas to revisiting regions.
I am just talking going a little further with double map of Gen2 games but it doesnt have to be whole regions beyond the main region of whatever game we are playing.
If Gen8 is based on Spain for example it is literally going to be next to Kalos. similar to how kanto/johto are. Who is the say we won't see >part< of Kalos in game play? like maybe travel there by foot or plane just to hit area or couple of cities or a coast. maybe there is a reason to go over there in the main story for something. and who is the say that maybe Portugal may not be a small region included in the main story game play.
back up on the maps a little bit to see things merge some.
For a Sinnoh example some things could be added to the region on the blank land parts of the map, but you could include a visit to say Alima and/or Fiore (they are small after all)
or ditch that and fly to make a visit to another region that some how as a connection to Sinnoh for some reason, myth or ruins for example.

Attachments

• WeULF.png
    WeULF.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Well, if there is a remake of Gen 4 on the Switch, I really hope that the HM's do not return and that Ride Pokemon or some other similar mechanism is used instead. My gripes about Gen 2-4 are all the stupid HM's needed.
Also, there's the fact that you have to devote 2-3 party members to clear obstacles, making it hard to play the game the way you want to.

EDIT: Didn't they confirm that Orre was based on Phoenix, Arizona? Because the only part they got wrong with that map.

Last edited:
well, if they keep essentially making new regions with new pokemon and they have a similar set up it would just seem like too many separated games unless they some how connect the individual regions/games together in some fashion.
I think "too many separated games" is a subjective idea-some people want the regions to be a clearly mapped-out world, and others are just fine with regions being the way they've been. (Plus, some people might have more of a problem with lack of continuity by retconning regions than they do with regions being separate) That doesn't mean either opinion is right or wrong, but it also doesn't mean action has to be taken right now.
but they will eventually need to touch base that this is one world.
They already have, though-nearly every game references other regions and cultures in the world.
I just think they will eventually need to connect them a little more and give the story a chance to get a little more complex to avoid the same old remakes habit, to make things intersect more, and to help all the pokemon feel together and not forgotten because of how old whatever generation is. I think the pokemon company has had thoughts on gen 1&2 being forgotten and have seemed to have pushed on them more. Some people have been "tired" or "frustrated" or "bored" with certain pokemon or generations as we fans call them being pushed. Finding a way to merge things a little bit may relieve that kind of negative concern/feeling.
While I fully agree that this is a great goal, I don't think it's innately linked to connecting regions. It's totally possible to have multiple generations of Pokemon in a region without connecting it to another region (like most of the previous generations have done), and it's also possible to have a region that's supposed to be connected to another region that only contains one generation of Pokemon, like LGPE is doing.
Allow regions and generations to flow together better and remakes feel more natural and still moving forward at the same time as enjoying some familiar things with new things.
I don't think remakes really need an in-story reason for why new Pokemon and features have been included since last time. If anything, I think it'd make it feel even more awkward-if it's been X years since the events of the original, why is the exact same plot happening again now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom