• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think remakes really need an in-story reason for why new Pokemon and features have been included since last time.

Especially since we’ve already been given what is probably the most readily applicable and hassle-free explanation: [the new game] is just in a parallel universe.

As for including old regions with new ones, people are forgetting one thing- Remakes sell.
A new generation and a remake separated would sell more than a combined game, not to mention that putting two regions in a game will be more effort for them in return for less money.

Honestly, remakes should be a thing that stays, it allows older regions to be updated and allows Game Freak to not have to keep outputting Pokemon every single game. This is why I don't find the "new games only" argument to be valid at all. It's sometimes good to take a break from creating new Pokemon every few games or so, but a line also has to be drawn on what groups of Pokemon get the attention on a given generation.

Last edited:
Honestly, remakes should be a thing that stays, it allows older regions to be updated and allows Game Freak to not have to keep outputting Pokemon every single game. This is why I don't find the "new games only" argument to be valid at all. It's sometimes good to take a break from creating new Pokemon every few games or so, but a line also has to be drawn on what groups of Pokemon get the attention on a given generation.

The history of Pokemon remakes have been an interesting one. The first remakes we got were Fire red and Leaf Green, so lets take it a little look at this.

One thing those remakes added was the updated move learn set of the already existing pokemon (Charmander learning metal claw for example, which for some reason was later dropped from his move learn set). as well as retelling the game really with a fresh coat of pixel paint.

Moving ahead to the swtich, LGPE reintroduces a generation with the DNA of a very popular spin off. One creative reason for these games is to get the remake jitters out of the development teams system in preparation for the future (OOHHH lets play around the wild encounters happening in the overwolrd!!!) etc etc. I believe these kinds of experiments help them formulate a cohesive creative strategy for the new games coming up, one of them being gen 8 itself.

IMO LGPE mark the end of an era. How similar will Gen 8 be to these games? My guess is not very similar in the least. They are both pokemon games but admittedly LGPE will probably have better multiplayer features than any pokemon game before it. You can expect Gen 8 to revamp whatever works for the upcoming spin offs.

The history of Pokemon remakes have been an interesting one. The first remakes we got were Fire red and Leaf Green, so lets take it a little look at this.

One thing those remakes added was the updated move learn set of the already existing pokemon (Charmander learning metal claw for example, which for some reason was later dropped from his move learn set). as well as retelling the game really with a fresh coat of pixel paint.

Moving ahead to the swtich, LGPE reintroduces a generation with the DNA of a very popular spin off. One creative reason for these games is to get the remake jitters out of the development teams system in preparation for the future (OOHHH lets play around the wild encounters happening in the overwolrd!!!) etc etc. I believe these kinds of experiments help them formulate a cohesive creative strategy for the new games coming up, one of them being gen 8 itself.

IMO LGPE mark the end of an era. How similar will Gen 8 be to these games? My guess is not very similar in the least. They are both pokemon games but admittedly LGPE will probably have better multiplayer features than any pokemon game before it. You can expect Gen 8 to revamp whatever works for the upcoming spin offs.
I agree, my guess is that the Let's Go series will focus on games that already have been remade like the Gen 1 games while the core series will still focus on new games and traditional remakes. This also allows older regions to be mixed with new mechanics like Mega Evolution in Hoenn.

I don't think they need to have more than one region in the same game unless they are adjacent.
If the Gen VIII games are set in Spain, maybe we could visit Kalos, ir at least, it's southern parts.
I also wonder why only half of France was included, it's not a big country.

I also wonder why only half of France was included, it's not a big country.

I doubt it’s any particular reason. Focusing on the upper half probably just worked better for map design purposes. Region design has never quite been a “whole package” deal, or else Unova wouldn’t be based on a mere fraction of New York. Kanto and Johto both suck up a half of the intervening Chubu region in addition to Kanto and Kansai, and Sinnoh arbitrarily donated Hokkaido’s bottom-left corner to the Ranger games.

France is about four times as large as Japan. It's the third largest European country, or second if you don't consider the anomaly that is Russia.

Game Freak is always trying to surprise people, with the surprise coming in various forms. After Black & White they developed Black 2 & White 2, there was no "Z" version, Megas were introduced in ΩR and αS, Sun & Moon had no gyms, US & UM introduced new Pokemon mid-generation. You get the point. LGPE was probably developed with this factor in mind, and I'm willing to bet the next games after them won't solely rehash existing features.

So, my question is, what seems like something Game Freak would do as a surprise for the games after LGPE? It's always something that's right in front of us, yet we never consider, so it definitely takes some, but not too much, creative thought. A battle system change seems like a possibility, imo, rumors aside.

Game Freak is always trying to surprise people, with the surprise coming in various forms. After Black & White they developed Black 2 & White 2, there was no "Z" version, Megas were introduced in ΩR and αS, Sun & Moon had no gyms, US & UM introduced new Pokemon mid-generation. You get the point. LGPE was probably developed with this factor in mind, and I'm willing to bet the next games after them won't solely rehash existing features.

So, my question is, what seems like something Game Freak would do as a surprise for the games after LGPE? It's always something that's right in front of us, yet we never consider, so it definitely takes some, but not too much, creative thought. A battle system change seems like a possibility, imo, rumors aside.
The next games will most likely be Gen 8, that statement confirming "many new Pokemon" is an indication of this, this isn't just 1 or 5 new Pokemon. So my guess is that the next games will re-introduce following Pokemon, that would certainly surprise people as so many doubt the feature staying for more than one game.

The next games will most likely be Gen 8, that statement confirming "many new Pokemon" is an indication of this, this isn't just 1 or 5 new Pokemon. So my guess is that the next games will re-introduce following Pokemon, that would certainly surprise people as so many doubt the feature staying for more than one game.
As shown with USUM and now LGPE, new Pokemon can be introduced outside of new gens.

Let's see what they have done in each Gen:

Gen II: A working game.
Gen III: Abilities
Gen IV: I can't remember right now.
Gen V: Sequels that were part of the same gen
Gen VI: Both megas and the Fairy-Type.
Gen VII: Got rid of gyms + Z-moves.

Overworld Pokémon might be the next step, but that's LGPE's gimmick. I hope it's something that nobody expects.

Gen II: A working game.
Ouch. I think Gen 1 just became Black and Blue after that hit...

I think it's worth mentioning that no gen ever had just one "gimmick" or "surprise", they typically introduce a lot of new features at once.
  • Gen 2-Shinies, cover legendaries, multiple regions in a game, new types
  • Gen 3-Abilities, natures, double battles, contests,
  • Gen 4-Physical/special split, transfers that didn't involve trading, GTS
  • Gen 5-Animated sprites, hidden abilities
  • Gen 6-3D models, Amie, trainer customization, Mega Evolution, Super Training
  • Gen 7-Ultra Beasts, trials instead of gyms, Z-Moves, Bottle Caps
These changes are also typically based on reasons beyond just wanting to surprise people. Changes like sequels in Gen 5 and a lack of gyms in Gen 7 were about adding to the story, changes like the GTS, shinies, and graphics have been because of hardware upgrades, changes like the physical special/split and bottle caps affected battle, and changes like new types and megas have affected both battling and Pokemon designs.

That's not at all to say that we can't or shouldn't speculate on what changes can come in Gen 8-it's an exciting and fun topic of conversation. I just don't think it can really be expected to guess it from some sort of pattern in previous games or just "they'll do this because nobody would expect it/it breaks their previous patterns". There's a little more going on with the changes than just the element of surprise.

Ouch. I think Gen 1 just became Black and Blue after that hit...

I think it's worth mentioning that no gen ever had just one "gimmick" or "surprise", they typically introduce a lot of new features at once.
  • Gen 2-Shinies, cover legendaries, multiple regions in a game, new types
  • Gen 3-Abilities, natures, double battles, contests,
  • Gen 4-Physical/special split, transfers that didn't involve trading, GTS
  • Gen 5-Animated sprites, hidden abilities
  • Gen 6-3D models, Amie, trainer customization, Mega Evolution, Super Training
  • Gen 7-Ultra Beasts, trials instead of gyms, Z-Moves, Bottle Caps
These changes are also typically based on reasons beyond just wanting to surprise people. Changes like sequels in Gen 5 and a lack of gyms in Gen 7 were about adding to the story, changes like the GTS, shinies, and graphics have been because of hardware upgrades, changes like the physical special/split and bottle caps affected battle, and changes like new types and megas have affected both battling and Pokemon designs.

That's not at all to say that we can't or shouldn't speculate on what changes can come in Gen 8-it's an exciting and fun topic of conversation. I just don't think it can really be expected to guess it from some sort of pattern in previous games or just "they'll do this because nobody would expect it/it breaks their previous patterns". There's a little more going on with the changes than just the element of surprise.

It can be confusing trying to figure everything out considering that GameFreak frequently takes things out and brings them back, but technically animated sprites were introduced in Gen II (crystal which also introduced female player genders), although not fully animated like gen 5. Also, Gen II introduced the night and day cycle. Also overlooked is that Gen III introduced overworld weather conditions, which affected battle weather, and different non shiny forms for pokemon (Deoxys).

(We could/should probably start a new thread with all of the specific additions of each generation.)

On topic I would like the Gen 8 game to take an approach like Smash Ultimate in that it really pulls from the previous games. Less so with all the characters being directly available in game, but more so bring all the additions/best features from the previous games and bring them back (like everything that they kept up to USUM + reintroduce: seasons, new megas/regional variants, new z-moves, an improves PSS, a feature closer to the ORAS dex nav, more customization options for any weather condition, pokemon following you, pokemon in the overworld, battle frontier, legendary side quests, more player choice freedom like Gen I/II, super training, etc.). Like work all of those systems into a singular package that they can really build off of for the next set of games.

You did a way better list of new features than what I did and I completely agree with you. I made a list as a recap to see what they have already done and see what else people think they could add, especially since almost any idea I could think has already been done by now, except Pokémon with different patterns (like they did with Spinda), Pokémon customization that's not limited to Eevee/Pikachu, more clothing options for male characters and the ability to dye any clothing item.

EDIT: Also, add areas in which Sunny Day is active in the overworld. How come every other weather condition has been used regularly but sunny is only on Ruby and its remake (can't remember if its in Emerald because I only got heavy rain).

EDIT 2: And another thing, if we ever get another Rotom Dex, ADD AN OFF BUTTON.

Last edited:
but technically animated sprites were introduced in Gen II
I was actually meaning fully animated sprites, but those were really big, too!
(crystal which also introduced female player genders), although not fully animated like gen 5. Also, Gen II introduced the night and day cycle. Also overlooked is that Gen III introduced overworld weather conditions, which affected battle weather, and different non shiny forms for pokemon (Deoxys).
Good grief, I can't believe I forgot those! Those were huge!
(We could/should probably start a new thread with all of the specific additions of each generation.)
I think that'd be really fun!
You did a way better list of new features than what I did and I completely agree with you. I made a list as a recap to see what they have already done and see what else people think they could add
Oh, I wasn't meaning that in opposition to yours, I'm sorry! I was trying to make the list in reference to the original idea of guessing the surprise. (I was just quoting your post for the burn, lol)
except Pokémon with different patterns (like they did with Spinda), Pokémon customization that's not limited to Eevee/Pikachu, more clothing options for male characters and the ability to dye any clothing item.
There's something insanely funny to me about how Game Freak, a company that has designed an insane variety of creatures, has this much room to grow with customization features.

Oh, I wasn't meaning that in opposition to yours, I'm sorry! I was trying to make the list in reference to the original idea of guessing the surprise. (I was just quoting your post for the burn, lol)
Nah, don't worry. Like I said you did a way better job of illustrating how the series have been evolving and I also liked what you wrote.

Also I appreciate when people laugh at one of the few (good) jokes I make.

On topic I would like the Gen 8 game to take an approach like Smash Ultimate in that it really pulls from the previous games. Less so with all the characters being directly available in game, but more so bring all the additions/best features from the previous games and bring them back (like everything that they kept up to USUM + reintroduce: seasons, new megas/regional variants, new z-moves, an improves PSS, a feature closer to the ORAS dex nav, more customization options for any weather condition, pokemon following you, pokemon in the overworld, battle frontier, legendary side quests, more player choice freedom like Gen I/II, super training, etc.). Like work all of those systems into a singular package that they can really build off of for the next set of games.

We probably won't see a game like Smash Ultimate until the final generation in the series. Part of the reason Smash Ultimate is what it is is because Sakurai is contemplating retirement and this may be the last Smash game (or at least the last one made by him). Pokemon probably isn't ending anytime soon and they still have a lot more games to sell, and part of the reason they like removing features is to have something to use as a selling point for future games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom