• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, don't expect a game with every single feature in it. It's obviously not going to happen until possibly the last game of the series (if it ever happens). Same goes for every region in one game, don't expect it to happen because it won't.

You can make a game different from it's other iterations without tweaking the gameplay all the time.

We probably won't see a game like Smash Ultimate until the final generation in the series. Part of the reason Smash Ultimate is what it is is because Sakurai is contemplating retirement and this may be the last Smash game (or at least the last one made by him). Pokemon probably isn't ending anytime soon and they still have a lot more games to sell, and part of the reason they like removing features is to have something to use as a selling point for future games.
It's weird to hear you say this. You've always said that you want Pokemon games to be bigger and more expansive. A game like Ultimate is pretty much what you've always said you wanted.

Game Freak is always trying to surprise people, with the surprise coming in various forms. After Black & White they developed Black 2 & White 2, there was no "Z" version, Megas were introduced in ΩR and αS, Sun & Moon had no gyms, US & UM introduced new Pokemon mid-generation. You get the point. LGPE was probably developed with this factor in mind, and I'm willing to bet the next games after them won't solely rehash existing features.

So, my question is, what seems like something Game Freak would do as a surprise for the games after LGPE? It's always something that's right in front of us, yet we never consider, so it definitely takes some, but not too much, creative thought. A battle system change seems like a possibility, imo, rumors aside.

One thing they could easily do is reintroduce some type of Pokemon Snap mechanic into the game in some functional way. A big push in the right direction would be 6 vs 6 wifi battles without friend codes. The removal of friend codes in general would be exuberant i hope this is somehow connected to the Switches new internet service.

Co-op double battle missions would be awesome, If they work in LGPE then why not bring em back with some mainline sheen?

One thing they could easily do is reintroduce some type of Pokemon Snap mechanic into the game in some functional way. A big push in the right direction would be 6 vs 6 wifi battles without friend codes. The removal of friend codes in general would be exuberant i hope this is somehow connected to the Switches new internet service.

Co-op double battle missions would be awesome, If they work in LGPE then why not bring em back with some mainline sheen?
Oh hell yeah- Poke Finder felt like a lame attempt to emulate Snap. If we're going to get overworld pokemon in the main series, let's snap some pictures of them anywhere, not just in some designated location. Maybe have it add your best pictures to your pokedex entries. I say we use a similar scoring system, because Snap honestly just got it all perfect.

And if not part of the main game, then at least a photo safari zone mini game area would be great.

Funny thought, but you know what would make for an interesting pokemon? If you got the opportunity to Frankenstein/make your own artificial-ish pokemon out of predetermined parts or something. They'd have to keep implementing areas where building it was possible, but that would make for a unique gimmick, I think.

Last edited:
You know what, it could work, but please don't make the parts affect stats. I wouldn't want the stop-having-fun guys saying "only this combination works", "you're an idiot for trying something else", etc.

On the other hand, beating those guys with your custom Pokémon would be extremely satisfactory.

It's weird to hear you say this. You've always said that you want Pokemon games to be bigger and more expansive. A game like Ultimate is pretty much what you've always said you wanted.

Not really. There's a difference between wanting a game to be bigger and have more content and wanting a game that checks every single box on a list of features a mile long. The former is a lot more realistic.

Not really. There's a difference between wanting a game to be bigger and have more content and wanting a game that checks every single box on a list of features a mile long. The former is a lot more realistic.
I agree with you. I don't think that they are going to cramming a ton of features into one game. That's a bit too unrealistic.

An unrealistic and kinda shallow wish of mine is for melanistic/albino pokemon. Shinies are cool but I'd love to have something else to collect. Sure, some pokemon would look the almost same, like a melanistic houdoom or an albino furfrou, but some shinies are almost identical, and now that its possible to change the palletes freely, without needing to swap, making these changes wouldn't be that hard.

I think it's worth mentioning that no gen ever had just one "gimmick" or "surprise", they typically introduce a lot of new features at once.
From this I'm assuming the point of my question was lost. What I meant to say was that there's always been at least one big, unprecedented, unexpected curveball that Game Freak has thrown with each generation that breaks an established convention. It goes beyond features, but there is an overlap. Starting a list:

Gen. IV - Physical/Special Split
Gen. V - Sequels
Gen. VI - No Direct Kalos Follow-Up, Further Evolution (Mega Evolution)
Gen. VII - No Gyms, Legendary Pre-Evos
LGPE - Console Debut That Is Not a New Region, No Wild Pokemon Battles

Before continuing, I should note that surprise does play a role in how Game Freak develops their games, not being simply the aftermath of new features. Got that from an article. Not the only factor, but definitely one of them.

I guess just comment conventions that can still be broken. That's why I think changing the battle system to be more than just turn-based is a possibility, since it's one of the longest enduring conventions in Pokemon.

An unrealistic and kinda shallow wish of mine is for melanistic/albino pokemon. Shinies are cool but I'd love to have something else to collect. Sure, some pokemon would look the almost same, like a melanistic houdoom or an albino furfrou, but some shinies are almost identical, and now that its possible to change the palletes freely, without needing to swap, making these changes wouldn't be that hard.
Maybe they could do something slightly different for the ones that don't apply, like Murkrow or Alolan Vulpix. Maybe dark brown-ish Murkrow or a so-light-it's-almost-yellow A-Vulpix, especially since some albino animals are kind of yellow like some snakes.

I guess just comment conventions that can still be broken. That's why I think changing the battle system to be more than just turn-based is a possibility, since it's one of the longest enduring conventions in Pokemon.
That's not a good idea. It has the chance to alienate long time fans and drive them away.

Not if it's done right. If balanced well between new and old, we could see a battle system that is more appealing to the majority of players.
Not everyone can adapt, and they will be forced out. This is too drastic of a change, and RS and BW, the two new gens that experimented the most, had the lowest sales out of all new gens.

What I meant to say was that there's always been at least one big, unprecedented, unexpected curveball that Game Freak has thrown with each generation that breaks an established convention. It goes beyond features, but there is an overlap. Starting a list:

Gen. IV - Physical/Special Split
Gen. V - Sequels
Gen. VI - No Direct Kalos Follow-Up, Further Evolution (Mega Evolution)
Gen. VII - No Gyms, Legendary Pre-Evos
LGPE - Console Debut That Is Not a New Region, No Wild Pokemon Battles

Deciding the big, unexpected change of a generation is an entirely subjective idea. Everyone has their different opinions on what changes are bigger or what's unexpected. You listed the physical/special split as Gen 4's big curveball, but multiple review sites don't even mention it, instead considering the online play the biggest feature. Honestly, I can't even find mention of the split that's not on a site more focused on the metagame, apart from a TV Tropes review five years after the games came out. (Frankly, I'd even say considering it unexpected or unprecedented is subjective, too-the concept of contact already existed in Gen 3, and the concept of physical and special had already been altered with the split of the special stat in gen 2)

The scale of these changes also varies greatly between them. Some of them actually created new conventions for the series (the split and Megas, which have been carried over in all gens since), while others were just about the absence of expected games, not even affecting the gameplay of half the generation. (I think the absence of Z is a bit of stretch to call a big curveball-it contributed literally nothing.)

That's why I said this:
That's not at all to say that we can't or shouldn't speculate on what changes can come in Gen 8-it's an exciting and fun topic of conversation. I just don't think it can really be expected to guess it from some sort of pattern in previous games or just "they'll do this because nobody would expect it/it breaks their previous patterns".
I agree that there is likely to be new and unexpected changes in Gen 8, but it doesn't make sense to say that it's most likely to try to change established gameplay because you've singled out these changes. While it's true they've all broken convention, they've done so in drastically different ways-timing of releases, altering established gameplay mechanics, adding new mechanics, altering story, or even just designing a Pokemon that hasn't been designed before (a legendary prevo)-and new designs are done in every game, I might add.

My point in listing those other changes was to show that convention breaking isn't as simple as one big curveball designed to get the biggest surprise, it's about improving on what's established in innovative ways. (And isn't it kind of contradictory to base a pattern-breaking theory on a pattern, anyways?)

Last edited:
the video had interesting quotes from nintendo suggesting yes they are considering.
edit here i will put the links the console video pulled from

Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa Wants a 3DS Successor - VGCultureHQ
Mr Furukawa is of the belief the device still has advantages over the Switch and stated Nintendo was “considering various possibilities” in regards to a successor for the popular handheld device.
additional link to the same topic: Nintendo Is Considering A Successor To The 3DS According To Its New President

View: https://twitter.com/pixelpar/status/1013875645661794304

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/8n8hdo/gamefreak_confirm_the_2019_switch_games_will_not/?utm_source=reddit-android

Last edited:
the video had interesting quotes from nintendo suggesting yes they are considering.
edit here i will put the links the console video pulled from

Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa Wants a 3DS Successor - VGCultureHQ
Mr Furukawa is of the belief the device still has advantages over the Switch and stated Nintendo was “considering various possibilities” in regards to a successor for the popular handheld device.
additional link to the same topic: Nintendo Is Considering A Successor To The 3DS According To Its New President
Means nothing.

If they were actually “considering” a 3ds successor they wouldn’t put their biggest games including Pokemon on the Switch.

This is no different then when they said the DS wouldn’t replace the GBA, only for it to replace it in the end(i realize that’s a long time ago, but still).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom