• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review M21: Everyone's Story

So... how "new" was the content? Did it take lots of stuff from the second movie or the anime, or was it more independent than M20?

You only need to watch the trailers to tell that it's almost entirely new. Lugia probably doesn't even do much.

It doesn't evolve into anything. It's there to promote LGPE.

Harder questions that actually require watching the movie:

1. How is each character's development handled? Particularly for the girls.
2. What is the mayor's secret regarding Zeraora?
3. Is there a connection between Zeraora and Lugia?
4. Is Ash just wandering the world looking for legendaries?

I'd like to know what's up with that strange Poké Ball that Ash is seen throwing in the trailer...
Dogasu answered that in his article:
Dogasu said:
Q: What's up with that strange Monster Ball we see Satoshi throwing in the trailer?

A: That's a special Monster Ball used for the "Pokemon Get Race." The idea is that you have try to catch as many pokemon as you can within a certain amount of time. You can use one of your own pokemon to help you weaken the ones you're tying to catch. Whoever catches the most is declared the winner. The pokemon you're allowed to catch are all wearing special blue stickers to make them stand out from regular pokemon. After the competition is over you have to give the pokemon back.

According to Dogasu in terms of Pokemon Ash got he has on his team he has

Pikachu

Yep.

That’s it.

Yet again Ash got absolutely nothing, not even Totodile.

Last edited:
According to Dogasy in terms of Pokemon Ash got he has on his team he has

Pikachu

Yep.

That’s it.

Yet again Ash got absolutely nothing, not even Totodile.
Booooooooring and lame! Charizard and Pikachu in M20 ok, I could live with that. But I dont know what to expect for M22 regarding Ash his team

So I'm looking around for reviews and this one has some positives and negatives neatly organised in bullet points: 映画ポケモンみんなの物語・ネタバレ感想まとめ 噂のイーブイ追加進化や新ポケモンはなんと…! | ポケモンまとめマスター|ウルトラサンムーン&ポケモンGO

Roughly translated:

Positives
- The performances of all the guest voice actors (especially Masako Nozawa and Mana Ashida)
- How Sudowoodo and Kagachi are handled
- Xatu (not sure about this one. There is a Xatu in this film and either its role is good or the reviewer just really likes Xatu)
- How Team Rocket is treated
- The new costumes of Team Rocket
- The balance between human and Pokémon characters as the title implies

Negatives
- Something regarding Lisa. Not sure what exactly
- Ash has only one Pokémon

Overall thoughts
They really enjoyed the film, particularly because they enjoy the bond between people and Pokémon, and that theme is very strong in this film. There's not a whole lot of battling so for those who enjoy more action-centric Pokémon movies this may not be for you. Unusually for Pokémon movies, this film does not have any clear villain or enemy.

The reviewer expected this film to be very human-centered since there's a lot of human characters, but this was not the case. There was a good balance between Pokémon and human characters. Apparently Sudowoodo and Kagachi stand out.

As Dogasu already confirmed, there is no Gen 8 Pokémon or new evolution for Eevee, which disappointed the reviewer.
I'll try to look around for more reviews.

I wonder if Gin/sunyshore still does movie reviews. It would be nice to read something from her, as she always gives very detailed reviews.

Anyway, from what I’ve seen, this seems a rather balanced movie that manages to give some development to the various characters. This sounds good, as the eventual lack of some spotlight for some (or all) characters was one of my main worries.

I'm glad that the Pokemon get about half the focus because most of them are Johto species. And I don't care about Ash only having Pikachu because this isn't the Ash.

I don't mind Lugia not doing much because it already got a more interesting movie, but I find it cheap that they used it for marketing value. That said, from what I can gather it does help save the day somehow. As for Zeraora, I don't care.

Last edited:
It appears Ash does catch a Pokémon as part of the catching competition he participates in: an Ekans. But like Seaking in that old Johto episode, it's released under competition rules after the competition is over, so... Tough luck. If any character should get an Ekans in this continuity it should be Jessie anyway.

Mostly Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon and only one Gen 7 Pokemon? Why must that be the case? Last movie which was basically a retelling of Ash's Kanto journey had tons of the newer Pokemon.

Mostly Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon and only one Gen 7 Pokemon? Why must that be the case? Last movie which was basically a retelling of Ash's Kanto journey had tons of the newer Pokemon.
Those five Pokemon (hardly a ton) belonged to characters from other regions. They weren't wild, except for Marshadow.

In this case the characters appear to live in the same city in Johto.

Watched the movie in the cinema this afternoon, I quite enjoyed it! In contrast to M20, this one is more similar to previous movies, but still manages to feel fresh because the screen time is divided amongst the 5 other main characters and their personal developments, not just Ash. In fact, I felt like Ash didn't even play that large a role in this movie. As for those new characters, they are a diverse bunch. Each one of them has their own very different problems they have to face throughout the story. Out of them I suprisingly liked Kagachi and Torito the most, and I'm also a big fan of Risa's character design. It was very impressive how they they managed to introduce so many new characters and build them up in such a short time, even though I liked some of them better than others. For the first time in a Pokémon movie, I felt like that humans and their relations with each other played a bigger role than the relations between people and Pokémon alone. Having said that, Pokémon still have a prominent within these interpersonal relations in this movie. Unfortunately, because there was so much going on all time, there were some moments that felt like they had needed more buildup or fleshing. The ending wasn't all that satisfying either, in my opinion. If the movie had been a little longer, I think it would've been even better, but children have a short attention span after all, it can't be helped. Overall, it was a very refreshing new take on the 'traditional Pokémon movie formula', despite some rushed parts.

One disappointment for me was the fact that aside from Zeraora, the only Pokémon that appeared where from Kanto and Johto. This makes sense, considering it was fairly obvious the location of the movie was somewhere in Johto, despite lacking its characteristic traditional Japanese aesthetic. Still, I would've liked to get the chance to see some of my favorite Pokémon from different regions as well... The setting, the city, itself was alright, not anything crazy compared to some other Pokémon movies. I would describe it as extremely simple, adequate for the story, but not unique or interesting. Obviously having an overly complex setting would take focus away from the personal stories of the main characters, so it's forgivable.

The animation was generally very beautiful. Especially the action featuring Zeraora was epic. Character expressions were done nicely and aside from Ash and Team Rocket, stayed fairly consistent with previous movies. Not much to say here.

I didn't see anything about a new movie, perhaps because I didn't stay around to watch until after the ending credits, which I kind of regret now... As I said before, Zeraora was the only Pokémon not from Kanto or Johto making an appearance. This means no Pokémon or forms we didn't know about before were introduced. If you have any questions about this movie, I will try my best to answer them :3

@Blast
1. How does the movie feel like the older ones? There is no real villain or battle focus.
2. What is each character's problem and how is it resolved?
3. Does Zeraora stay in the forest?
4. Does Xatu do something special?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom