• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Should regional variants become a series mainstay?

Should’ve regional variants be a mainstay of the series from now on?

• Yes

Votes: 106 77.9%
  • No

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.0%

• Total voters
Regional variants are a rather interesting concept. I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume that their inclusion in Alola may open doors for other sorts of regional variants in the future, but honestly? I feel like that's going to get kinda messy, and it's purely for nomenclature reasons.

As of currently, every single Alolan variant is simply referred to as "Alolan (Pokemon here)" but what about in future regions? Depending on the region's name, I imagine it can be quite annoying to have to say that region's name in addition to the Pokemon name, and then the region after that, so on and so forth. It's one of the reasons why part of me feels like regional variants should stay an Alolan exclusive thing; it give credence to the fact that Alola's environment is uniquely on the extreme side of things, at least enough so that Pokemon there would have to change their physiological makeup in order to survive. It'd be rather overwhelming I think if this were to be a thing in every single subsequent region.

I think regional variants should be an Alola thing. The Alola forms found their way into Pokemon GO and I thought that I would enjoy it, but I'm actually already fed up with everything Alola. The only thing I like with having A-Forms in Pokemon GO is how easy I can take down gyms with A-Exeggcutor.

I wouldn't be opposed if 1 or 2 specific Pokemon had a regional variant or cousin, but it has to be done without pandering to Kanto and not be the main selling point, and not an excuse to not develop more new Pokemon.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more. Alolan variations - thanks to GF's very annoying obsession with Generation I pandering as of late - only included Generation I Pokemon, meaning there is are a WHOLE bunch of other Pokemon that could see variations and that would be fun.

I'm not at all concerned with seeing less new Pokemon as a result. The smaller amounts of new Pokemon added in Generation VI and VII is the least of my concerns.

I would love to see them return so long as they break out from just the first generation of Pokemon. They add a nice mix up for older Pokemon without breaking anywhere near as much as some of the other features in recent years and almost every Pokemon could conceivably receive a new form in another region and still make sense.

regional variants make sense for pokemon and evolution. they need to stay but they need to come up with a common name for them. I also think they need to be careful how they do regional variants and pay attention to design and typing. I think this is something that can really soar or fall terribly.
The number of new regional variants released each gen (or after however many gen breaks between) need to be limited.
they are good with coming up with new pokemon, so If they kept the regional variants in mind as new pokemon instead of rebranding I think it can turn out well.
S/M was the first game to try this out. I am sure they will do much better next time. esp since now they have feedback on the actual topic. And obviously they will go outside Kanto pokemon for it. I would imagine they will pick a few pokemon from each generation through time that get a regional form. Whatever we already have from Kanto my guess is that we wont get any more new regional variants from Kanto. Gen 2 pokemon would be next for regional variants if they decide to stick with it.

what would be nice for the cause of variants in another region could have something to do with an event that happened, or even something that was placed in an environment recently(thinking of a plant or tower or something that produces something that can effect pokemon)
those kinds of things would be nice to see in the future than just the reason of a different location in the world or climate -tropical vs tundra or island vs mainland valley or plain vs mountain- (not saying that isnt nice it is, but they will need to mix things up a bit)

Last edited:
Nope.

It's a lame excuse for not needing to introduce new Pokémon by just recolouring and re-typing stuff we already have.

Nope.

It's a lame excuse for not needing to introduce new Pokémon by just recolouring and re-typing stuff we already have.
No it's not; It makes things new by not just using the same old designs for the same old pokemon; giving them new designs, new typings, and Reasons FOR Said Typings. . . Like alola Vulpix being Ice-type due to its cold Habitat; or Alola Marowak being Ghost type due to the Ghost of Cubone's Mother; or Alola Raichu becoming psychic to avoid the Predatory Sand Castle Pokemon Pallosand; whom Pikachu would get eaten by; and Alola Rattata becoming Nocturnal due to the Invasive Species Yungoos taking over during the day. . . Besides, they still have the ability to give Johto Pokemon some Well-needed Galaran Forms. . . especially since they only did Kanto pokemon for alola; and there's only so many Kanto pokemon that can be given that form; Since some of them have Megavolutions. . .

Besides... Majority of people voted yes for more Regional Varients; and Majority Rules. . . 73 for, 9 against, and 9 undecided. . .

Besides... Majority of people voted yes for more Regional Varients; and Majority Rules. . . 73 for, 9 against, and 9 undecided. . .

These forums are neither GameFreak’s office nor a democratic government so the majority here really doesn’t say anything.

A large portion of these forums doesn’t like LGPE. Didn’t stop them from existing.

You cannot just dismiss someone’s opinion by saying “Everyone else thinks differently!”

(And this is speaking as someone who voted yes)

These forums are neither GameFreak’s office nor a democratic government so the majority here really doesn’t say anything.

A large portion of these forums doesn’t like LGPE. Didn’t stop them from existing.

You cannot just dismiss someone’s opinion by saying “Everyone else thinks differently!”

(And this is speaking as someone who voted yes)
OK. . . Why don't we all just all have our own opinions, and just simply agree to disagree and leave it at that. . .

Yes, because they are an actual clever way of updating past designs that is both biologically viable in a real world sense, and adds more depth to the lore of the games. I prefer them for these reasons over Megas, forme changes, and Z-moves. Species branching off to fill in ecological niches is obviously something completely natural and just fits for these games.

Sure, a few can be very gimmicky and a hit or miss, but that shouldn't be a dissuasion from attempting to do it correctly.

Remember when Sun And Moon were being promoted and we saw a picture of Pallosand eating pikachu? Maybe Raichu gained the Psychic typing in response to Pallosand so that it could avoid being lunch.
I actually think that's the True reason. . . because that's a certainly more Logical & reasonable explaination than Just Because Pancakes. . .

even So; Alola Raichu could Float away and avoid it by staying off the ground; The advantages are NOT related to type-advantage; it's by survivability and the ability to safely get away & out of reach of the predatory sand castle ghost . . .
It certainly wouldn't be out of reach of a Shadow Ball...

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom