• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP23: Love at First Twirl!

I'm not sure what's up with the English dub's music department lately because this one and the last one aren't 1-2/xx eps (meaning they only keep 1 or 2 pieces of Japanese music), and TPCi had that streak going for 21 episodes (in Season 21, the irony) before the last one ended it: thus far, this episode seems to have kept said streak established by the prior dub episode in terms of them attempting to keeping 4 pieces now- the weird thing both have in common is the last one had one quarter of a Japanese music piece cut off by dub music when Kiawe battled Lana, and this time, one-tenth of a piece got cut off by dub music that resembles electric rock/guitar instead. So, as a result, this one is a 3.9/xx- they kept basically the title card and the remainder of the themes kept are from when Ash and Team Rocket battle so...yay? I mean, that's still nothing compared to any season before it, but given how things have been lately, this is at least less painful than usual from Ed's department. Though, spamming the Batman theme 9 times in this episode was a bit irksome, however.

Unfortunately, the script writing suffered in this one most, on the other hand: Ash saying "kay gang" to his Pokemon was irksome because he can't seem to just say the word "okay" in the current dub for whatever reason to this day, and pretty much everything that came out of Team Rocket's mouths was a complete rewrite that wasn't in the motto save for Meowth, so that didn't mitigate things. I particularly cringed when dub Team Rocket in unison said "Honeylicious" and when Meowth said "Dig it" to Torracat when learning it evolved as well as hearing the words "gobbledy gook," though they keep on rhyming their lines be it Jessie, James, or Meowth so that was a bit jarring.

Last edited:
Do Ash and the classmates read Who's That Pokemon for this episode, or maybe Jessie, James and Meowth?

Do Ash and the classmates read Who's That Pokemon for this episode, or maybe Jessie, James and Meowth?
Ash and the classmates read WTP in the dub, IIRC.

Also, forgot to mention this, but when Ash keeps messing with Rowlet during the Poipole capture scene, the dub's stock laundry theme is played in English.

0:23 - I couldn't stop laughing over Sarah's voice for Ash's "AAAHHH!!!" xD
She realized Goldfarb scored all of that scene, that's what scared her...just kidding.

I think Sarah's as hit or miss as ever as Ash, myself, there are scenes when she sounds okay, and then scenes when she sounds like a grown woman in her late 20s-early 30s that's agitated at others throughout the episode (particularly when shouting or attempting to show any energy, outside of that scene)- as usual, the inconsistency in pitch is hard to ignore for me when it comes to her performance.

I'd comment more on the dub's acting but I'd be beating a dead horse on my end, so not really worth it.

Actually, rotom dex only just said: "Poipole, the poison pin Pokémon. A poison type. Ultrabeast entry complete."

I'm not sure what's up with the English dub's music department lately because this one and the last one aren't 1-2/xx eps (meaning they only keep 1 or 2 pieces of Japanese music), and TPCi had that streak going for 21 episodes (in Season 21, the irony) before the last one ended it: thus far, this episode seems to have kept said streak established by the prior dub episode in terms of them attempting to keeping 4 pieces now- the weird thing both have in common is the last one had one quarter of a Japanese music piece cut off by dub music when Kiawe battled Lana, and this time, one-tenth of a piece got cut off by dub music that resembles electric rock/guitar instead. So, as a result, this one is a 3.9/xx- they kept basically the title card and the remainder of the themes kept are from when Ash and Team Rocket battle so...yay? I mean, that's still nothing compared to any season before it, but given how things have been lately, this is at least less painful than usual from Ed's department. Though, spamming the Batman theme 9 times in this episode was a bit irksome, however.
Huh. Which pieces were kept?

I was able to watch the newest episode in English because I don't even live in the U.S.
But I downloaded the episode.

Who's That Pokemon!?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqU4EnDFiA

There were no Pokedex Entries today

Cast List:
Sarah Natochenny
Laurie Hymes
Jessica Paquet
Rosie Reyes
Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld
Marc Swint
Rodger Parsons

Rebecca Becker
Sam Black
Kate Bristol
Roger Callagy
Carter Cathcart
Abe Goldfarb
Bobbi Hartley
Melissa Hope
Emily Jenness
Michele Knotz
Michael Liscio Jr.
Lisa Ortiz
Erica Schroeder
Billy Bob Thompson
Marc Thompson

Bonus Scene:

View: https://twitter.com/worldofkevinc/status/1023411506086662144

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom