• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

I think part of the problem there is that Game Freak themselves is putting them in those shoes. Were LGPE totally intended as a "subgenre game" (I don't feel like spinoff is quite accurate for something similar enough, and yet Colosseum and XD are certainly not main series), I think these changes could be better received, and even some restrictions like the decreased Dex. But in all talk, it's generally been regarded as a main series game. It's literally called a remake of Yellow, and the first main series game on the Switch. And while categorizing it separately might help fans take the changes, that's not going to change how Game Freak looks at it, which is as the next step in the main series. (Masuda even talks here about the changes in LGPE being an attempt to help the series evolve)

With that in mind, I think it's perfectly understandable to express frustration at the various removals in LGPE. It's not that the changes are bad because they're different, but because they're removals, and have the possibility of remaining.
So, you are saying that it was/is also fine to thrash on the Mario & Luigi series since it is marketed as a main Mario RPG and it’s an “offense” toward Super Mario RPG? I mean, they are different and did things differently, so they should be automatically bad, right?
That's really not a fair comparison, though.
  • Super Mario RPG was only one game, it didn't have a series. Making the Mario and Luigi games never suggested anything about changes in any coming SMRPG games.
  • The first Mario & Luigi games came out a good seven years after SMRPG. LGPE is coming out a year after another main series Pokemon game.
  • The Mario RPG games don't have an established roster of catchable creatures like Pokemon does. Mario RPGs have individual characters that are dependent on the story, but Pokemon's regional dexes have been frequently altered, and have no strong justification to rely on for the 152 dex. (Especially when it actually contributes to type imbalances-there's only one Ghost-type line in the whole dex)
  • Also, SMRPG came out in 1996. I don't know how old PkmnTrainerV is, but I do know that there's a good number of people on this forum younger than 22. Some people in that age range might have played the VC games since then, but it's pretty unlikely that they played it on the NES before Mario & Luigi came out in 2003. I don't think it's really fair to ask people for their opinions on the timeline of a franchise that occurred before they were old enough to play the games.

Oh, but new piece of info-that news article they misinterpreted Masuda's statement on removing wild battles. Apparently, it's not so much about difficulty as it is about enjoyment:
It was a difficult task that we set out, of course. There was a lot of debate between the team regarding the absence of battles against wild Pokémon. Until now I had always been firm in defending the mechanics as director of the series but this time I felt that we should try to change things a bit.

I personally have always felt that mechanics will weaken and capture Pokémon was like fishing - there are people who are not fans of that kind of strategy. As I mentioned before, I wanted to make the games more enjoyable for a larger audience of fans so we simplified the mechanics.

Up to now, capturing Pokémon reminded me of fishing but the new mechanics reminds me more of catching bugs with a net. But I wonder if people will enjoy this type of simplified mechanics more than the previous one.
I can definitely get behind that philosophy a lot more than "it's too hard"-though I'm still frustrated that his proposed solution is to replace rather than offer a choice.

Last edited:
Also, SMRPG came out in 1996. I don't know how old PkmnTrainerV is, but I do know that there's a good number of people on this forum younger than 22. Some people in that age range might have played the VC games since then, but it's pretty unlikely that they played it on the NES before I don't think it's really fair to ask people for their opinions on the timeline of a franchise that occurred before they were old enough to play the games.

I'm indeed younger than 22. Thanks for making me a bit less lost on the topic.
My God the game is old...

While I agree with the whole series decay thing – as I, myself, am displeased with the direction taken with the Paper Mario series – the point I was trying to make is another one: similar genre and different mechanisms from the same franchise can still be successful and have their own playerbase, which is often seen with people praising The Thousands Year Door and Bowser’s Inside Story even if they are “rivals” and different in many aspects.

However, another thing that this upcoming game has in common with the aforementioned games involves also a bit of blind hatred: I’ve seen many people who thrashed the M&L games because they aren’t Paper Mario or Super Mario RPG. Basically, it boils down to “it’s different, so it sucks”, and this is a bit of what I’m seeing about Let’s Go as well.

Now, I understand why people are displeased and why they don’t like the casualization thing. I mean, I love some bit of challenge as well, and there are some things about Let’s Go that I don’t appreciate either. But there is something that must be taken in mind: Let’s Go is different. It can’t be truly compared with the mainstream series because it isn’t technically a mainstream game. It is labeled Pokémon and it is an RPG, sure, but this is where things end, in a way not too different from the Colosseum/XD series.

Perhaps it may be better to look at the game from another perspective. Let’s take for example Paper Mario Sticker Star and Color Splash, the accursed games that ruined the franchise. One of the main reasons they are constantly criticized is that they are labeled as “Paper Mario”, which feels insulting toward older fans who are used to the standard formula. However, taken by themselves, they aren’t even that bad as games, and I bet people wouldn’t hate on them that much if they weren’t “Paper Mario”. They simply are forced to fill shoes that they aren’t supposed to fill.

A similar approach should be taken with Let’s Go, as in judged by their own rather than comparing them constantly with the main games. If they still look bad even if judged by their own that’s fine, but we shouldn’t let previous standards affect the judgment of these games because they aren’t supposed to be “standard”. Too many times I’ve read “they did this differently, so instant dislike”, but at the end of the day they are their own thing with their own mechanisms, aka Let’s Go. No color, mineral or similar counterpart games. If we can judge Colosseum and XD by their own, why not Let’s Go?

Well it goes a bit further than "it's different so it sucks". The game's core concept and target audience seem so poorly conceived and again, reeks of blindly copying what's popular instead of truly analyzing why that type of game was successful and whether or not it'd be successful on the Switch. Masuda himself has pointed out that one of the reasons mobile is so popular is because it gives them access to a wide variety of entertainment options besides just video games, movies, music, social media, internet, etc., and they offer all of this for free. So why would this audience spend $300 on a Switch and then an extra $60 for LGPE? Trying to convert Go players into main series players just seems like a fool's errand in the first place, the segment of the Go fanbase that isn't playing the main games probably isn't interested.

And then expecting this game to be Pokemon's take on a console gaming experience, a simplified game full of mobile game mechanics, is just utterly daft. The mobile market is used to having all of this content available on the go and playing it when they're out and about. So what makes you think they're going to want to play their Switch as a console more than a handheld?

I have no problem with them wanting to try new things with the series but this is such a half baked idea that's wasting resources they could be using on a much better game that actually appeals to the Switch's userbase. If they wanted to create a second branch of the series that actually added something new to the series, that'd be fine. If they wanted to create a second branch for something like an open world game for instance, that would make perfect sense, it'd be a new style of game to appeal to the console audience and could draw in new players that are used to past Nintendo consoles like the Wii/Wii U or competing consoles like the Xbox/Playstation. But making a mobile-esque game their second branch just doesn't make sense for the Switch, the handheld games have already trended in that direction and that sort of experience wouldn't draw in console gamers all that well. All in all this game just seems like a bad business decision made in a futile attempt to cash in on mobile's popularity, and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the market.

Oh, but new piece of info-that news article they misinterpreted Masuda's statement on removing wild battles. Apparently, it's not so much about difficulty as it is about enjoyment:

I can definitely get behind that philosophy a lot more than "it's too hard"-though I'm still frustrated that his proposed solution is to replace rather than offer a choice.

Man and I was just about to unlesh my rage about the whole “it’s too hard” thing, like “Dude we’ve been doing these for 22 years and in that time you’ve even added stuff like Quick Balls, Dusk Balls, Critical Captures, and O-Powers and you still think it’s too hard!?!?” but now I don’t know what to do with that energy

I will say that I personally don’t actually mind the changes to the wild Pokémon mechanics, though I wouldn’t necessarily call myself an advocate for them, either. To the issue of why they don’t just add a toggle setting, I can soooort of see why they might not want to do that. From a producer’s point of view, I can see how making it optional might feel like a vote-of-no-confidence in their own ideas. You’d want people to try out the new mechanics, not to just shrug them off at the first glance and revert to the old settings without ever giving the new ones a chance. Like, could you imagine if BW had offered an “Enable Pokémon from previous generations to appear” setting? It would have completely undermined their attempt to try out a radical new interpretation for the games. Or like if SM offered an “HMs instead of Poké Ride” option. If I try to put myself in their position, I do think there is at least something to be said for sticking to your guns when you have a bold new idea instead of pulling your punches by playing it safe, if that makes sense. (Though any commendation I may have given them for that begins to evaporate as soon as I re-look at how adamantly unchanged the Kanto region in LGPE is...)

I do think fishing is hella boring though, for what that’s worth. But I’m not into bug catching either (most bugs give me the willies), so...

Last edited:
Look, LGPE are shaping up as the most weak games in the franchise sofar.

But let's not criticize them based on Junichi Masuda's words. This man is not capable of making a positive PR of a game anymore. Every interview he gives, he disappoints the hardcore fans!

He is able to make even a great Pokémon game look bad when he opens his mouth. So of course LGPE will look even worse than it is, after listening to his reasoning. Especially when it is weak to begin with.

Last edited:
The amount of times I've read "the kids" in this thread is suprising.
Can you, for once, think outside your Internet/forum/social media bubble? Thank you.

"Difficult" isn't probably the best choice of wording here, rather "boring and tedious" I'd say. Yeah, lowering a wild Pokémon's HP and then throwing a Ball at them doesn't seem hard, indeed. But, as always, you're still forgetting that these game caters a completely different demographic. People who forgot about Pokémon in the 90s or just discovered it (again or not) through GO and are used to this catch system is what they're, mostly, trying to sell this game to. Of course, if you're a "core" fan you can still give it a try.

You believing Pokémon is not intimidating becase you've been playing this videogame (or videogames in general) is completely okay, but you're missing the point by far. RPGs, even the ones with a lot of tutorials (like Pokémon), aren't accesible at all. Do you imagine giving Pokémon to someone who has never played it only to discover there're 800 creatures + alternate formes + Mega Evolutions + Z Moves (plus another bunch of RNG stuff like Breeding, Abilities, Natures, EVs, IVS, etc)? Is not the game itself is hard, it's more like everything it has built up at this point is overwhelming. In GO you don't have to lower a wild Pokémon's HP, you just throw a PokéBall or your choice and that's it. Way more easy than "also Paralyze or put it to Sleep. And beware of getting a critical move or poisoning or burning it because it may just die and you won't get it". Is not about "difficulty", is about even more "simplicity".

Is not about the kids, is about that GO/casual demographic they're trying sell the games to. Which, imo, is gonna be hard because they're trying to sell a 300€ hardware to people who mostly play Pokémon GO because is free (yet it makes a ton of money. Basic bussiness here). This not only includes kids, but young adults, people who never played Pokémon before (they exist!!!) or even parents who can have a good time with their children.
It's been two months since the games were announced and I still can't believe some people doesn't get they're trying to bridge up GO players to the 2019 game that follows Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Let's Go games aren't critics-free, of course. But I still do believe most people are criticizing them in a wrong way. You don't like LG because you think it sucks, you don't like the visuals, the catching mechanics or the fact is Kanto again? Great. You don't like it because it feels like a GO game or they're making it more simple and because it doesn't pander directly to you? Please grow up then, not everything in this world needs to be aimed directly at you, even if you don't like it.

Why are people even assuming the Let's Go games are the future of the franchise? Why both series can't coexist? Just because you don't like one of them? We haven't even seen Generation 8 game.

Last edited:
Oops, sorry for double posting but I guess this need to be addresed?
I finally checked myself the Famitsu interview in Japanese and Masuda never said "the catch system is hard". I can assure you Nintendo Everything translated it quite correctly:

Incorporating elements from Pokemon GO is quite ground-breaking; it must’ve taken a lot of courage to make that kind of decision.

Masuda: It was a daunting task we took upon ourselves, for sure. There was considerable debate within the team concerning the absence of wild Pokemon battles. Up until this point I had been steadfast in defending the mechanic as the series director; this time, though, I felt like we should try to change things up a bit. Personally, I’ve always felt that the weakening and capturing mechanic is a bit like fishing – there are people that aren’t fans of that kind of strategy, though. To that end – as I mentioned before – I wanted to make these games more enjoyable for a wider audience of fans. As such, we simplified the mechanics. Until now, catching Pokemon has been vaguely reminiscent of fishing, whereas I’d liken the new mechanic to catching bugs with a net. I have to wonder if people will enjoy that sort of straightforward mechanic more so than the previous mechanic.

Oops, sorry for double posting but I guess this need to be addresed?
I finally checked myself the Famitsu interview in Japanese and Masuda never said "the catch system is hard". I can assure you Nintendo Everything translated it quite correctly:

Thanks for the clarification.

I understand where are they coming from but I hoped they’d provide a choice since the Go catch system also gets tedious after the initial excitement wears off.

Or it would be nice to have a hybrid of both systems: lower the health of the Pokémon as much as you want and then switch to throwing a ball. If someone wants to capture the Pokémon Go-style then they could just decide to skip to the ball-throwing part (but for a lower catch rate).

I can accept a lot of things about these games without liking them, except the following:

1. No new locations except for maybe Cinnabar Volcano.
2. The only advertised change to the story seems to be the nonsensical rival replacement, which doesn't bode well.
3. Lack of Johto Pokemon. They were added to Go over a year ago and are the focus of this year's movie - everyone relevant is familiar with them.
4. Lack of breeding, as it's a way to get egg moves even without accounting for competitive min-maxing. Is every non-legendary in the wild now?

All my Pokemon go friends are excited for this. And I've seen nothing but good things when I go on places like Silph Road or Pokémon Go forums. My friends who grew up playing red and blue are giving it a pass. But that's only one or two on my Facebook timeline, everyone else looks like they are still hyped for this game. Heck my Pinterest feed are full of fan art.

I know this stuff isn't a good substitute for sales charts but the only place I've seen negative things about this game is here and in YouTube comments and honestly YouTube is always negative so make of that what you will.

My thoughts on this is still the same. This game will do well without the hardcore fans buying it.

While I agree with the whole series decay thing – as I, myself, am displeased with the direction taken with the Paper Mario series – the point I was trying to make is another one: similar genre and different mechanisms from the same franchise can still be successful and have their own playerbase, which is often seen with people praising The Thousands Year Door and Bowser’s Inside Story even if they are “rivals” and different in many aspects.

But you can't just isolate the instance when both Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi were good to make this point you're making. Your original point was that Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi could continue to coexist without messing up the Paper Mario series and that's NOT what happened.

However, another thing that this upcoming game has in common with the aforementioned games involves also a bit of blind hatred: I’ve seen many people who thrashed the M&L games because they aren’t Paper Mario or Super Mario RPG. Basically, it boils down to “it’s different, so it sucks”, and this is a bit of what I’m seeing about Let’s Go as well.

Was the Mario & Luigi series really hated on its onset? I mean I was very much around and a Nintendo fan back then and I don't remember it. Mario & Luigi was back then understood as a distinct handheld Mario RPG series that wasn't likely to harm the Paper Mario series.

Because we trusted Nintendo. But then Paper Mario Sticker Star happened.

Now, I understand why people are displeased and why they don’t like the casualization thing. I mean, I love some bit of challenge as well, and there are some things about Let’s Go that I don’t appreciate either. But there is something that must be taken in mind: Let’s Go is different. It can’t be truly compared with the mainstream series because it isn’t technically a mainstream game. It is labeled Pokémon and it is an RPG, sure, but this is where things end, in a way not too different from the Colosseum/XD series.

I'm sorry but the point you're making here isn't making sense to me. GameFreak has said it is a part of the main series. Sure it's kind of muddied, but at the very least it is not a spinoff like the Colosseum/XD series.

Perhaps it may be better to look at the game from another perspective. Let’s take for example Paper Mario Sticker Star and Color Splash, the accursed games that ruined the franchise. One of the main reasons they are constantly criticized is that they are labeled as “Paper Mario”, which feels insulting toward older fans who are used to the standard formula. However, taken by themselves, they aren’t even that bad as games, and I bet people wouldn’t hate on them that much if they weren’t “Paper Mario”. They simply are forced to fill shoes that they aren’t supposed to fill.

That's not how I felt, though. Sure, I was a big fan of the Paper Mario series and it was likely I was going to judge Sticker Star for being different. However, I really did go into Sticker Star with an open mind. I really tried to enjoy it for what it was. However, I found everything to be bland, and ultimately I got really annoyed with the enemy battle system being fruitless. Imagine playing a Pokemon game where battling Pokemon does not offer any experience for your Pokemon, the battles are just there to be there. It gets annoying, and it made me stop wanting to play the game altogether. It felt completely pointless. That is Sticker Star. I dislike Sticker Star not only as not being good to the Paper Mario name, but also as taking the game at its own merits.

A similar approach should be taken with Let’s Go, as in judged by their own rather than comparing them constantly with the main games. If they still look bad even if judged by their own that’s fine, but we shouldn’t let previous standards affect the judgment of these games because they aren’t supposed to be “standard”. Too many times I’ve read “they did this differently, so instant dislike”, but at the end of the day they are their own thing with their own mechanisms, aka Let’s Go. No color, mineral or similar counterpart games. If we can judge Colosseum and XD by their own, why not Let’s Go?

Because Lets Go are not innocuous spin-offs like XD/Colosseum, they are developed by GF to be a subseries alongside the main series. In the long run they could become a danger to the main series. I feel even more confident asserting that after reading what Masuda said yesterday. It may not happen with the Generation VIII games, but if Lets Go is super successful (which it will be), GF might start heading where the money is and changing the "core" games bit by bit to be more like it, with the hope that we won't notice. But we will.

All of this even though the "core" Pokemon games have always sold a ton. Lets Go is a danger that did not even need to happen to begin with.

I am concerned with GF's obsession with casualizing the franchise. I fear that if this game is successful, it would encourage GF to make the main series more like it.

I think let's go will be successful sure, but I don't think GF are going to take that as a blank check to make every game like let's go. The backlash from this game is something that they've already noticed and the interview seems to indicate that they would like both newer casual players while keeping the older hardcore players.

*sigh* It looks like I didn’t get my thoughts across well enough, I’ll try to elaborate better.

Let’s put it clear: variety is good. Having the choice to experience a genre in different ways is fine. It gives more options to people who want to try out different things or who aren’t forced to pick only one type of product.

If some people prefer the more casualized style of these games and/or are more encouraged to try out games without power creep and all that mechasms jazz, well, why not give them that? It is quite selfish to impose our ideal standards from the mainstream games toward these games when they aren’t supposed to be your standard games, regardless of whether Game Freak labels them as “core”. They are meant to be a more accessible and simplified experience without all that clunky stuff like IVs, EVs and all those hidden material for seasoned or hardcore fans only.

It is fine to not like these games and/or what they have to offer. Tastes are tastes, and you can’t impose people to like something that they clearly dislike. If you don’t want to buy them, that’s all fair and all.

However, there is no need to keep repeating the same arguments and criticism over and over. Ok, fine, these games are controversial and don’t meet your criteria, but don’t spoil the fun for people who actually are interested in these games and genuinely like them for what they are: a simple experience.

Besides, I feel like there is a bit of paranoia, with the whole “GF will now turn the mainstream series more casual” sentiment. Well… I think that Let’s Go is made precisely with this in mind. People were complaining about XY/SM/USUM being too simple, so maybe Let’s Go is the compromise they have chosen to give to the casuals and GO players a more simple experience while Gen 8 will be more aimed toward veteran fans. I mean, it’s still too soon to say that Gen 8 is ruined without even having a first glimpse.

I would be all for Let’s Go being the “tutorial” series and the mainstream returning to the pre-XY style, tbh. In this way, they give to both spectrum of the fanbase what they are loooking for without having to choose between one side or another. We’ll know for sure in time, but I prefer to be cautiously optimist for now.

Look, LGPE are shaping up as the most underwhelming games in the franchise.

But let's not criticize them based on Junichi's words. This man is not capable of making a positive PR of a game anymore. Every interview he gives, he disappoints the hardcore fans!

He is able to make even a great Pokémon game look bad when he opens his mouth. So of course LGPE will look even worse than it is, after listening to his reasoning.

For something to be underwhelming, it has to be be whelmed in the first place. If it's shit, it'll be as expected by most people

The amount of times I've read "the kids" in this thread is suprising.
Can you, for once, think outside your Internet/forum/social media bubble? Thank you.

"Difficult" isn't probably the best choice of wording here, rather "boring and tedious" I'd say. Yeah, lowering a wild Pokémon's HP and then throwing a Ball at them doesn't seem hard, indeed. But, as always, you're still forgetting that these game caters a completely different demographic. People who forgot about Pokémon in the 90s or just discovered it (again or not) through GO and are used to this catch system is what they're, mostly, trying to sell this game to. Of course, if you're a "core" fan you can still give it a try.

You believing Pokémon is not intimidating becase you've been playing this videogame (or videogames in general) is completely okay, but you're missing the point by far. RPGs, even the ones with a lot of tutorials (like Pokémon), aren't accesible at all. Do you imagine giving Pokémon to someone who has never played it only to discover there're 800 creatures + alternate formes + Mega Evolutions + Z Moves (plus another bunch of RNG stuff like Breeding, Abilities, Natures, EVs, IVS, etc)? Is not the game itself is hard, it's more like everything it has built up at this point is overwhelming. In GO you don't have to lower a wild Pokémon's HP, you just throw a PokéBall or your choice and that's it. Way more easy than "also Paralyze or put it to Sleep. And beware of getting a critical move or poisoning or burning it because it may just die and you won't get it". Is not about "difficulty", is about even more "simplicity".

Is not about the kids, is about that GO/casual demographic they're trying sell the games to. Which, imo, is gonna be hard because they're trying to sell a 300€ hardware to people who mostly play Pokémon GO because is free (yet it makes a ton of money. Basic bussiness here). This not only includes kids, but young adults, people who never played Pokémon before (they exist!!!) or even parents who can have a good time with their children.
It's been two months since the games were announced and I still can't believe some people doesn't get they're trying to bridge up GO players to the 2019 game that follows Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Let's Go games aren't critics-free, of course. But I still do believe most people are criticizing them in a wrong way. You don't like LG because you think it sucks, you don't like the visuals, the catching mechanics or the fact is Kanto again? Great. You don't like it because it feels like a GO game or they're making it more simple and because it doesn't pander directly to you? Please grow up then, not everything in this world needs to be aimed directly at you, even if you don't like it.

Why are people even assuming the Let's Go games are the future of the franchise? Why both series can't coexist? Just because you don't like one of them? We haven't even seen Generation 8 game.

Why would playing Let's Go even help them to "integrate" or whatever. If they play LG and then gen 8 they'll be like "wtf why did they change it, I hate change, screw gen 8" because suddenly they have to actually... fight the wild Pokemon. They prob have a hear attack that the cute little pidgey is fighting back. Plus this time they're coming from a game with 151 to a game with 900. THAT'S worse than coming in right away to a game with 900.

Why would playing Let's Go even help them to "integrate" or whatever. If they play LG and then gen 8 they'll be like "wtf why did they change it, I hate change, screw gen 8" because suddenly they have to actually... fight the wild Pokemon. They prob have a hear attack that the cute little pidgey is fighting back. Plus this time they're coming from a game with 151 to a game with 900. THAT'S worse than coming in right away to a game with 900.

Nah! It's more like a transition from a bike to a motorbike, where at the start you can may go with training wheels and learn only a few basic directional tips, before having to take a full exam where you have to learn all that stuff involving signs, speed limits and all that driving business. Consider the more complex mechanisms and additions of the mainstream series like those extra things you need to study to get a license after you have some initial basics.

This game is probably to teach them the basics in an environment they already know. And also a testing ground for Switch.
GO players are already used to new Pokémon, by the way (we're nearly hitting 4th gen).
Either way, even if 900 Pokémon are avaliable for Gen 8, keep in mind you probably won't be able to catch them all without Pokémon Bank, a software aimed for experienced Pokémon players.

So.... whats the point in transferring over Pokemon from GO into the actual game, since it cannot be done before Fuchsia (Which i was already expecting btw), if you want too use Pokemon that can be caught in-game regardless. GF hasn't really thought this one through, since the mechanic is pretty pointless at that point.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom