• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Official Let's Go Pikachu/Let's Go Eevee Discussion Thread

How do you know this? Game Freak could have something up their sleeves. It costs $60 for crying out loud!

They could, but probably not. You're right that it's too early to know this for certain but considering the philosophy behind this game and how every game that's come out of that same philosophy has been relatively barren in terms of post game content, I wouldn't hold my breath.

They won’t leave due to one feature. They'll most probably purchase Generation 8 to justify their previous purchase of a Switch.

A lot of us don't have a switch. If gen 8 sucks ass, I'm not getting one

How do you know this? Game Freak could have something up their sleeves. It costs $60 for crying out loud!

Why do you think this demaster is so controversial? they've stripped a hell of a lot of content from their last game and are charging MORE than the game with 807 Pokemon+100 alternate forms and a bigger region, with... slightly more post game

Oh, but new piece of info-that news article they misinterpreted Masuda's statement on removing wild battles. Apparently, it's not so much about difficulty as it is about enjoyment:

I can definitely get behind that philosophy a lot more than "it's too hard"-though I'm still frustrated that his proposed solution is to replace rather than offer a choice.

Edit: the Masuda quote didn't copy, here it is:
"It was a difficult task that we set out, of course. There was a lot of debate between the team regarding the absence of battles against wild Pokémon. Until now I had always been firm in defending the mechanics as director of the series but this time I felt that we should try to change things a bit.

I personally have always felt that mechanics will weaken and capture Pokémon was like fishing - there are people who are not fans of that kind of strategy. As I mentioned before, I wanted to make the games more enjoyable for a larger audience of fans so we simplified the mechanics.

Up to now, capturing Pokémon reminded me of fishing but the new mechanics reminds me more of catching bugs with a net. But I wonder if people will enjoy this type of simplified mechanics more than the previous one."

IMO this is worse. The basic gameplay of a series that's been hugely popular for more than 20 years isn't going to be enjoyable for a wide audience? I have less-than-zero confidence in Masuda at this point.

Edit: the Masuda quote didn't copy, here it is:
"It was a difficult task that we set out, of course. There was a lot of debate between the team regarding the absence of battles against wild Pokémon. Until now I had always been firm in defending the mechanics as director of the series but this time I felt that we should try to change things a bit.

I personally have always felt that mechanics will weaken and capture Pokémon was like fishing - there are people who are not fans of that kind of strategy. As I mentioned before, I wanted to make the games more enjoyable for a larger audience of fans so we simplified the mechanics.

Up to now, capturing Pokémon reminded me of fishing but the new mechanics reminds me more of catching bugs with a net. But I wonder if people will enjoy this type of simplified mechanics more than the previous one."

IMO this is worse. The basic gameplay of a series that's been hugely popular for more than 20 years isn't going to be enjoyable for a wide audience? I have less-than-zero confidence in Masuda at this point.

I just really don't understand why they couldn't have made it an optional feature. I don't get why they have to act like it's an either or situation when it could have just been optional. Like in the options menu Wild Pokemon Battle System: Classic Style or Pokemon GO Style.

But nope, everyone has to play it this way for no reason.

I just really don't understand why they couldn't have made it an optional feature. I don't get why they have to act like it's an either or situation when it could have just been optional. Like in the options menu Wild Pokemon Battle System: Classic Style or Pokemon GO Style.

I think it is because it’s a Pokémon game based on Pokémon GO, not “Core Series: Lite Version”. Otherwise, what’s the point of having an experimental game with different mechanisms if people will just play it in “standard mode”? It’s almost like asking to have an option in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games to have only turn-based one-on-one battles.

They did mention, they want to bring Pokemon Go fans and Traditional Fans together with the capture mechanic of Go and Traditional pokemon game. Myself, I never played pokemon go, but I do enjoy the traditional core game, and reliving your first game on gameboy, like Red, Blue, and Yellow. Plus it's sub-series game to doesn't touch the main series. So if Pokemon let's go does turn out to be a success, maybe TPC and Gf will make let's go as a sub-series game (they can remake the third-game in let's go style, like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum), that way they can continue make more money for these game, despite if the fans don't have a Switch yet (eventually, if they waiting for Gen 8, they'll get switch anyway).

I don't think any Generation after Gen II has the appeal that can attract casual fans. And I think GF are aware of this.

I can see one LGPE sequel for Gen II, but that's all; I suppose they would expect casuals to jump on the main series train after that. Two consecutive Let's Go games should be enough for them to get acquainted with the series.

Of course, my prediction could be wrong. So let's just wait and see.

Last edited:
As would be expected. By then, casuals and Go players should be nicely antiquated with the games enough to enjoy a more hardcore experience that older fans are used to. Who knows, by 2030, we may have a VR game or a game we can actually go inside of.

don't you get it? if 1% of people think something sucks ass, you should get rid of it

whilst if 99% of people like something, you should also get rid of that too

just remove everything tb, whether it's liked or not

I secretly think this is because trying to capture wild Pokemon in two-player mode could be a pain. In that interview, Masuda mentions having the visuals not look too realistic as a way to comfort mothers, which is also why the music is more orchestral and less Gen VI Gym Battle. Imagine trying to help your kid capture a Pokemon, but they keep mashing buttons because it's funny and annoying you or their friend. The capture mechanic and simplified controls aren't going to make a deep experience, but it'll probably be an incredibly satisfying one when played with another person.

A big reason I mention the two player is that I think he says something really telling at the end of the interview:

Please enjoy the game as much as you can with your family and friends. If you’re saying to yourself: “I don’t have anybody to play games with!” – don’t worry! The games are still fun to play alone, so please, enjoy!

This is a really bizarre thing to say because the trailers and this interview itself have made it seem like this is a single player game with the option for two players and not the other way around. However, the titles themselves imply this game was built with two players as the focus. Pokemon GO is singular, it's saying you can take the game with you anywhere. "Let's go," is a phrase you say to someone else when you're going somewhere together. That Masuda was worried people were afraid they couldn't play it by themselves rather than it's too easy shows where his and the team's headspace is at. I wouldn't be surprised if following Pokemon made a return solely so the second player didn't feel left out.

I was iffy about this game, but thinking about playing through Kanto with my boyfriend, who has never played a game but watched the first series as a kid, actually sounds exciting. I think the goal is less people buying a switch for this game and more going to a friends house who has this game and then deciding you want your own switch when the 2019 game comes out next year. How do you get people who downloaded a free app to get a $300 system? You make the game free through their friends and family.

I doubt this is the start of a new series, but I secretly hope it's successful enough to warrant a sequel... Solely to hear an orchestrated version of "Dark Cave". Togepi is a shoo-in for a mascot, probably Marill as the other.

They seem to think casuals aren't capable of making decisions for themselves, so they make all of the decisions for them.

I think it is because it’s a Pokémon game based on Pokémon GO, not “Core Series: Lite Version”. Otherwise, what’s the point of having an experimental game with different mechanisms if people will just play it in “standard mode”? It’s almost like asking to have an option in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games to have only turn-based one-on-one battles.

Actually from everything that has been said, I'd assume that it is actually is quite accurately "Core Series: Lite Version". GF has said it is a part of the mainline series, have they not?

They say they want it to be a game that will appeal to everyone. Options are how you appeal to everyone, not removing a core feature altogether when it could be optional.

I secretly think this is because trying to capture wild Pokemon in two-player mode could be a pain. In that interview, Masuda mentions having the visuals not look too realistic as a way to comfort mothers, which is also why the music is more orchestral and less Gen VI Gym Battle. Imagine trying to help your kid capture a Pokemon, but they keep mashing buttons because it's funny and annoying you or their friend. The capture mechanic and simplified controls aren't going to make a deep experience, but it'll probably be an incredibly satisfying one when played with another person.

Co-op is also for wild Pokemon 'battles'? I didn't know that.

I doubt this is the start of a new series, but I secretly hope it's successful enough to warrant a sequel... Solely to hear an orchestrated version of "Dark Cave".

My hope is that somehow miraculously this series doesn't ever become a thing. But I can agree with you on the OST. That's probably the only thing these games have going for them, to be honest. But it can definitely happen in the mainline series. Just look at X/Y's OST. A lot of the tracks in it are orchestral. They just need to make more OSTs like that, but make them live instead of MIDI, of course.

No, they want the little kids (ugh, bad choice of words) as evidenced by the recent Japanese trailer and Masuda's remarks. Just because a lot of kids like Pokemon doesn't mean that there isn't room for growth in terms of young players. It is well known that the average player's age has been on the rise since HGSS.

Also, a lapsed player doesn't have to be a whale to be interested in these games. They aren't free to play.

My hope is that somehow miraculously this series doesn't ever become a thing. But I can agree with you on the OST. That's probably the only thing these games have going for them, to be honest. But it can definitely happen in the mainline series. Just look at X/Y's OST. A lot of the tracks in it are orchestral. They just need to make more OSTs like that, but make them live instead of MIDI, of course.

I’ve just got to say that every snippet of music from LGPE that I’ve heard has made my ears want to bleed. I find this exceedingly strange - there’s never been a Pokémon soundtrack that I didn’t like; I kinda considered it the one area where they could never screw up. I don’t really know what it is precisely about the LGPE renditions, but I just cannot seem to stand them.

I don't think any Generation after Gen II has the appeal that can attract casual fans. And I think GF are aware of this.

I can see one LGPE sequel for Gen II, but that's all; I suppose they would expect casuals to jump on the main series train after that. Two consecutive Let's Go games should be enough for them to get acquainted with the series.

Of course, my prediction could be wrong. So let's just wait and see.

That’s my main reasoning for why we're not getting Let's Go games for every region. It has been a very specific set of circumstances which has allowed Kanto to become popular and it’s Pokemon to become household names. No region other than Johto has replicated that level of popularity and appeal.

That’s my main reasoning for why we're not getting Let's Go games for every region. It has been a very specific set of circumstances which has allowed Kanto to become popular and it’s Pokemon to become household names. No region other than Johto has replicated that level of popularity and appeal.
And even the biggest reason why Johto is kinda successful like Kanto among casual fans too, is precisely because Kanto was included in the post game. xD

Last edited:
LGPE audience also has a huge overlap with the demographic of "what has happened to the new Pokemon?" "GameFreak is running out of ideas!" "An ICE-CREAM Pokemon?" "Anything after Generation 1 is getting worse..." people.

Why would they buy Let's Go Sinnoh if they don’t like or recognise any of the Sinnoh Pokemon? It’s not just the Pokémon Go style and easiness that appeals to them, it’s the roster of Kanto Pokemon too and I think we should keep it in mind while making predictions.

An other thing that people don't seem to be considering, is that the base for LGPE (Yellow), is not just a third version of Red and Green, but an Anime rendition of the games.

So when some guys predict future Let's Go Emerald, and Let's Go Platinum games, they need to remember Yellow is not like Crystal, Platinum, Emerald, etc. It is a an Anime Special edition, that was created to ride on the Pikachu Mania of back then. And LGPE is created in a similar vein, to ride on the Go mania of today.

Last edited:
Since they already have the hardcore fan base in lock, as well as little kids - they want the mobile players.

They want the whales who are zombies and just spam their screen a million times and then get mildly excited after spending $3000 dollars they just got a good drop, then spend $3000 more

Problem is the whales don't really help them in a console game unless there's microtransactions. Otherwise it doesn't really how much they're willing to spend to play the game because everyone pays $60 to play.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom