• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

-FINISHED- Shippers' Paradise Short Story/Poetry Competition 2018

EscLucy

Cake and bunnies pls
Reaction score
kOQK6CH.png
Welcome to the first competition in Shippers' Paradise! This is a writing, creative challenge that involves users either writing a short story/a poem of their choice on a ship.

When creating a thread in the sub-forum please write in the title, whether it is a short story/poem, the name of your piece, and in brackets the two characters you are shipping. For example:

Poem - From Pathetic to Magnetic! (Ash x Paul)

Please post your entries in this sub forum.

Good luck and let the creative juices flow! ;)
  1. You must write either a short story (500-1,000 words) or a poem (1-2 pages);
  2. You are not allowed to plagarize any person(s) work, all work must be your own;
  3. Anything/anyone can be shipped but if you decide to include NSFW, the characters have to be 18+;
  4. You can only send one entry;
  5. Swearing and mild sexual references are allowed but if you post on the forums for the public to view (in Writer’s Workshop), please use the appropriate prefix. Therefore we ask standard forum rules apply;
  6. All ships must be respected and this competition cannot be used to give negative opinions on ships;
  7. There are 3 themes in the last spoiler tag below, you may choose one to focus on for your short story/poem. You will not be punished in the judging process for not using one;
  8. The first day that entries can be sent in is the 1st August 2018 and the deadline for all entries is 31st August 2018.
  1. Judging will take place between the 1st and the 15th September 2018. Results will be announced on the 22nd September 2018 but this can be subject to change;
  2. The judging panel will be made up of 1-3 judges (moderators and above) from each of the following sections:
    1. Shippers’ Paradise; (@EscLucy and @Lillie)
    2. Writer’s Workshop; (@AetherX, @Beth Pavell, and @Misfit Angel)
    3. Anime and Manga. (@Cresselia92)
  3. Short story and poetry will be judged separately;
  4. The judges will read through your work, compare them with others and rank them;
  5. The judges will be looking for:
    1. A clear ship that judges can see in the piece of work - involves more than one character and it doesn’t have to be related to Pokémon;
    2. Basic grammar and judges must be able to understand the piece of work (direction, flow, and characters involved);
    3. The style of writing and the vocabulary used;
    4. The emotion between the characters;
    5. A piece that is in the word count - 500-1,000 for Short Story and 1-2 pages for Poetry.
  6. The judges’ decision is final.
  1. Blossoming Friendships - this is about two friends who become romantically attached.
  2. Moonlight Romance - this is about romance at night, for example, a date.
  3. Overcoming Obstacles - this is about two people who overcome obstacles together and strengthen their bond as a ship.
  1. 1st Place - Banner saying “1st Place in 2018 Shippers’ Paradise Short Story/Poetry Competition”;
  2. Runner-up (x2) - Banner saying “Runner-up in 2018 Shippers’ Paradise Short Story/Poetry Competition”;
  3. Special Mention - Special Mention banner.
Please note there will be two first place winners. One for short story and one for poetry. The runners-up may not be one short story entry and one poetry entry. The 'Special Mention' banner(s) will only be awarded if we feel that the winners and runners-up were hard to decide and that there were other candidates close to winning/coming 2nd place.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
@Cresselia92 drew the logo. The Sylveon represents @EscLucy and the Reshiram represents @Lillie - the two Shippers' Paradise moderators.

Last edited:
Anything/anyone can be shipped as long as it does not involve children (i.e. 18+)
How does this work when most characters in Pokemon are canonically underage?

There are 3 themes in the last spoiler tag below, you may choose one to focus on for your short story/poem. You will not be punished in the judging process for not using one;
Am I correct in assuming this means we don't necessarily have to use one of the prompts?

How does this work when most characters in Pokemon are canonically underage?
It is fine to ship anyone that is under 18 but if it includes NSFW all characters have to be over 18. The rules have been changed to become clearer on this issue.
Am I correct in assuming this means we don't necessarily have to use one of the prompts?
The prompts don't have to be used but they are there for those who have a writer's block :)

Time to be the annoying person that asks 20 million questions

A clear ship that judges can see in the piece of work - involves more than one character and it doesn’t have to be related to Pokémon;
So this means we can use characters from other media and original characters right?

Does the story have to be the literal term of shipping, as in romantic live or can it be something like the love of a father and daughter?

And are us other mods even allowed to participate?

Time to be the annoying person that asks 20 million questions

So this means we can use characters from other media and original characters right?

Does the story have to be the literal term of shipping, as in romantic live or can it be something like the love of a father and daughter?

And are us other mods even allowed to participate?
Yes it doesn’t have to be Pokemon but the ship you choose has to be clear so the judges understand the two characters.

Unfortunately, it’s literal shipping.

Moderators cannot be considered for the prizes but they can take part. LG and Nono are doing it and I think Cres is going to do sketches for staff entries. ^^ I will display all staff entries in SP.

Just click the word “sub forum” in the original post I made. You can post it there :)

No issue with aging characters up as long as I make it clear. For example, if I did a BlueAngelship with a 18 year old Lana and a, say, 22 year old Ash for example, that's fine to get a bit more away with than if they were both at 10?

Also what are the labels for swearing and mild sexual references, and what are the limits of each?

No issue with aging characters up as long as I make it clear. For example, if I did a BlueAngelship with a 18 year old Lana and a, say, 22 year old Ash for example, that's fine to get a bit more away with than if they were both at 10?

Also what are the labels for swearing and mild sexual references, and what are the limits of each?
That ship is fine. Use the Writers Workshop guidelines and mention the specific category when it comes to sexual references and swearing.

Final question: as FFnet writer primarily, would it be a problem if I uploaded the submission there afterwards. If not, is it best to do so after the contest or can it be done during the contest.

Final question: as FFnet writer primarily, would it be a problem if I uploaded the submission there afterwards. If not, is it best to do so after the contest or can it be done during the contest.
Yes you can upload it to different sites but I would suggest uploading after the cut off date. :)

I'd love to participate if it was a fanart/comic contest... I don't feel strong enough as a writer. May I hope for a contest like that in the future? :)

I'd love to participate if it was a fanart/comic contest... I don't feel strong enough as a writer. May I hope for a contest like that in the future? :)

I'd like to see that myself, though as an appreciator of fan-art and commissioner of it.

Thanks for the interest, I will consider this in the future and try to coordinate this with the AG. :)

Aww... I submitted a poem but tbh I was a bit confused by the rules itself. It has to directly do with pokemon and can't be a purely open minded poem? :(

Aww... I submitted a poem but tbh I was a bit confused by the rules itself. It has to directly do with pokemon and can't be a purely open minded poem? :(
Nah, they've said before that it doesn't have to be related to Pokemon, just so long as it's obviously shipping.
it doesn’t have to be Pokemon but the ship you choose has to be clear so the judges understand the two characters.
So what you did would probably be fine.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom