• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review SM085: Leap and Climb, Tundetunde!

This was actually a pretty funny episode! Loved Kiawe’s over dramatic reactions as always and seeing him ninja kick Bourgain out of nowhere made my day.

It really sucks that the writers had Satoshi capture Tundetunde. The honour should really have gone to Kaki since he suffered the most abuse and was the one to knock out Bourgain.
I've said this already, but I don't think it matters who catches the things when they're released at the first opportunity.

Loved Stakataka's depiction here. And is it just me or do the writers try to come up with more ways to showcase how pointless the Ultra Guardians thing is? Like they were literally standing right in front of it, but instead of Lusamine simply calling them, they had to rush to their underground HQ only to be told to make an about-face. And they had to go there twice in the episode. Again, Kiawe and Lana were comedy gold here, while Satoshi's slapstick reminds me why I don't have a high opinion of this version.

Last edited:
How are you supposed to pronounce Viren? (Since people thought his dub name was Bryon at first... I haven’t watched the dub yet)

I prefer Bourgain as a name...
I'm pronouncing it the same way as Jiren from Dragon Ball Super (Gee-ren)

Which probably means that the dub pronounces Viren like Vye-ran or something equally asinine

I've said this already, but I don't think it matters who catches the things when they're released at the first opportunity.
I’d say the issue there is that is that it makes the others feel a bit superfluous depending on their actual involvement in dealing with the Ultra Beast.

This episode honestly felt weak to me, though I loved Stakataka's depiction and watching Bourgain's statue get smushed. A lot of re-used footage, as usual with Ultra Guardians episodes. Though seeing the Scyther come back for a moment made me chuckle!

Poor Kiawe, even when he has a rare moment of success these days he gets upstaged. I absolutely adore Lana, but I wish the writers let Kiawe have his moment. But at least it was something!
It was also nice to see that him getting stomped by Tsareena was just to snap him out of his panic, rather than being a malicious failure stomp like I expected from the preview.

Looking forward to Necrozma!

Poor Kiawe, even when he has a rare moment of success these days he gets upstaged. I absolutely adore Lana, but I wish the writers let Kiawe have his moment. But at least it was something!
It was also nice to see that him getting stomped by Tsareena was just to snap him out of his panic, rather than being a malicious failure stomp like I expected from the preview.
Wasn't it funny how Kiawe found some excuses to vent his hatred towards Bourgain?

Also, yeah, this episode made me realize that Lana is probably my favorite of the current PokéGirls.

I enjoyed this episode more than a lot of the past Ultra Gaurdian episodes. The inclusion of Kiawe's rival dude was nice and added some nice non-forced humor into the plot. That said, I still don't like how these episodes don't really create that much of a sense of urgency as you'd expect from something involving such rare, powerful Pokemon. It did come around once Stakataka was raging towards the end of the episode, but before that, once again, the situation felt so lax. The gang quite literally spent all day just trying to catch the thing and after failing, they just went home to try again the next day. It's like there's no danger or threat despite the fact that they literally took on their power ranger personas to deal with the situation. I get that there's not much you can do with a giant block just sitting on the ground, but still I wish there was more action when Stakataka first appeared.

I did like when the Syther came in and called that strike though :LOL:

Overall the episode was pretty good. 8.5/10.

In my opinion the episode was boring from the moment Stakataka appeared to the end. The solutions to the conflicts were dumb and there was slapstick every other minute. Kiawe's faces were too forced again. It's a shame because I feel my favorite UB deserved something better.

Viren was...ok. I liked how he wasn't the true antagonist, and Ash and Kiawe's reactions to seeing him which had continuity nods.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom