• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured I would just go ahead and dissect this so I'm not just calling it stupid without basis.

Here are some details about Pokemon Switch 2019 that I got from multiple different sources. Not sure how true some of these are but some of them I know are true.
Again, if they know some of them are true, why not separate out the ones they know to be true from the questionable ones? If I were to write a list based on what I "know" to be true and what may just be rumor, I would write two separate lists, not intermix them.
- Project name "Euphoria"
Euphoria doesn't really sound right when you compare it to the other project names that we have had. Coral, Swan, Whale, Rainbow, Beluga... they're all pretty concrete concepts. Granted, it's a codename so they could call it whatever they want.

Also want to note that we're probably going to see more and more fake leaks with the "project name" on them for "legitimacy," especially after Pixelpar did it. Not that it really tells you anything about the game, but it's become one of those things to throw into a leak to make it sound "real," kind of like how "leaked" pokemon art now all carry the CONFIDENTIAL stamp on them.
- All 3 Starter Pokemon are part Fairy-Type
I'm sure plenty of people have said it better but why would you sacrifice variety like this? Making a trio all share a type makes sense for... any other trio? Not the starters? Starters aren't really connected to each other outside of being starters and I feel like having the starters be totally different from each other is kind of essential in that it really emphasizes that decision that you have to make at the start of the game.
- 2 versions, one version is coloured light green and the other light purple
Not a lot to say here because colors don't really tell us anything. I will note, however, that the in-game Game Freak office has been known to carry hints and that these are the posters that we see in there in Sun and Moon:

index.png

I think that blue poster could have been a hint to the release of the Pokemon Crystal Virtual Console version, because that did come later. But I don't believe that we have seen anything resembling the other two and if any of these posters really are hints for Gen 8... then look at all that not-green there, wow.
- New region, very European looking, not sure exactly what it's based on
Holy cow what a blanket statement! Even if you're not sure what it's based on, you could give a ballpark beyond "European" because Europe is a very diverse continent! What kind of European does it roughly look like? Greek? Spanish? Scottish? The reason this leaker is "not sure" and not even going to specify beyond a broad "European" is because if the next region is based on any European country, then they automatically get some "credibility" for their leak. Points for hitting the broad side of a barn.
- Evil team has 5 divisions
Alright, no details and doesn't really say much about why and what significance this has, but alright.
- Main theme of the games is "Emotion", like beauty for XY and nature for RSE
This is such a broad theme, I don't know how you could even explore it, much less form a conflict from it. I could see "Happiness" as a theme and explore two different views of happiness, much like how X/Y addresses two views of beauty (yours and Lysandre's) but "Emotion" as a theme seems too general.
- Romance is a big part of the main story, not sure to what extent
Already expressed my thoughts on this.
- Better graphics than Let's Go
I'm pretty sure that there was already an official statement about this.
- 25-ish new Mega Evolutions, mostly gen 2, 5 and 6 Pokemon
For one thing- the generations specified comes off as very fan-catering.
For another- I can't see getting that many new Megas now after their introduction. Gen 6 was heavy on them because they were new, but unless they decided to make Mega Evolution a major part of Gen 8, we may only see a few added if we're lucky. And it seems unlikely (not to mention too soon) to try to explore Mega Evolution any further than we already did in Gen 6.
- Over 80 new Pokemon
Eeeeh... reasonable guess. That is around the range that we've started seeing recently.

In summary:
- Separate your "definitely real" and "might be real" lists.
- Project names make leaks "totally legit" now.
- Starters should not be a matching set.
- Looks like anywhere in a very diverse continent.
- Yes, the graphics are better.
- Too many megas.
- Likely number of new pokemon is likely.

Last edited:
I feel (non-Japan) Asia should get a chance since Japan may very well be a continent of its own in the context of this franchise.

I think Sycamore mentions taking a train from Sinnoh to Kalos at one point so this suggests that the two landmasses are somehow connected despite Sinnoh clearly being an island and Hoenn at the other end of the Poke-Japan landmass also an island.

I agree. That "European" bit gave it off.
The "leaker" probably was American.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see what nationality has to do with any of this. If you're going off the stereotype that Americans are arrogant and not aware of the world around them, then I'd like to point out that I'm American and my world view is...fairly good. Please don't believe every stereotype you hear.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I fail to see what nationality has to do with any of this. If you're going off the stereotype that Americans are arrogant and not aware of the world around them, then I'd like to point out that I'm American and my world view is...fairly good. Please don't believe every stereotype you hear.
While that could be the case, I think it was more an assumption that somebody IN Europe would obviously know differences between European countries, and since the leak was in English, it was likely from the Americas. I don't think it was necessarily tied to any inherent stereotypes.

If the game is set in Australia, then the water starter has to be a platypus omfg just look:

DkZ5MS2UcAEpQUT.jpg:small

I assume that grass starter is grass/ice. I kind of like the idea of its design, but I would probably do more with it.

The water starter? No, just no. It looks like it was specifically created by someone who is mad that Oshaw0tt's line didn't stay bipedal. It reminds me of Incineroar in a way. No, just no.

I like this one, too. None of them are overdesigned. That's how you can tell for certain it is fake. Lol.

When someone has a bunch of purely text-based information, says they have no way to verify it, can't guess which is real and which isn't, and says they come from a multitude of sources...why believe them? Anyone could contact them with whatever information they'd like to make up.
A lot of leaks during the Sun/Moon leak season where people who posted text-based information with no way to verify it. But the exact same thing happened, people jumped on the fake train.
No, yellow and purple are opposites on the color wheel. Green and purple are used in color schemes sometimes (especially so with Splatoon), and Pokemon games don't use colors opposite each other on the color wheel all the time (they most often use a variation of red and blue, which also aren't opposites), but green and purple are definitely not opposites.
Yes yellow and purple are opposites, but that’s not what the leak said. Light green and light purple are in fact, opposites on the color wheel.
"Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't" is not the best philosophy. While it's true patterns aren't a great basis for disproving leaks, saying that anything is possible because Game Freak breaks patterns isn't logical, either. Making starters all end up with the same type doesn't make sense because it leaves them all resistant to each other (and makes the Fire starter doubly resistant to the other two), making any new Fairy-type moves accompanying them less effective in battles. Even though secondary types haven't had a type triangle like the primary types, they always allow people to use their secondary type effectively with at least one other starter.
There Is a difference between plausible ridiculous and implausible ridiculous. Like we will never get a Pokémon game rated M. But having all the starters secondary types being fairy? It is odd, and it might not make sense but I wouldn’t put it past gamefreak. And again, just because one part of the leak is fake, doesn’t mean the whole thing is fake.

Take a look at the first post in this thread and see how many leaks were confirmed fake. Of course we're going to jump on the fake train when so many have already turned out to be fake. Why give 4Chan users more time and attention for poorly thought-out fakes?
I’m not saying that these leaks are real, not (it is a bit too early for Gen 8 Leaks right now), it’s just that no one takes the time to think about the leaks in question. For example the whole romance plot thing mentioned in the leak. Most people either A) say it’s fake because they don’t like it, or B) because it hasn’t happened before or seems off. Or you could just have fun with it, and think about how it could be applied to a Pokémon game. Maybe it’s not the NPCs they are talking about. Maybe there is a love triangle between the legendary trios or something like that.

Also this thread serves as a discussion/catalog of leaks. Of course a ton of them are going to be fake, but there are definitely some interesting ideas in some of these leaks on the main page.

Sure I realize that leaks don't have to include 100% accurate information, but when most of the information provided sounds stupid- not crazy different, just stupid- then I think it's fair to toss the whole thing out the window. Otherwise we're all going to have to be trying extra hard to take every stupid leak seriously.
Crazy different like Lets Go? I mean, when the leak came out, there was already a real/fake leak war going on because it sounded “crazy different”. No one would have expected it. Removing wild Pokémon battles? Gym entrance requirements? Even some of the features added in older games sound crazy different, and out there. Mega evolutions? Z-Moves? Fairy type? My personal view of things is this: Until Leaks are confirmed real or fake, keep an open mind and have fun with it. Think about how it could be incorporated into the game, if it’s real, instead of being dead set on trying to disprove it (like the whole Alola Starter situation).

And I'm pretty sure the "some of them are true" is just a safety net so when some of their list gets marked off as fake, they have a weak excuse for people to not dismiss it entirely. If they are so sure that some are true, why not state which ones are true?
Usually though when they do this, they throw out a lot of “safe guesses”. In this case here, it’s more “out there”.

I really don't think romance has any place in a pokemon game. Sure, couples exist in the franchise, but as a major enough plot element to say that it will be a big part of the story? No. The games are about kids on a journey- even if the 2019 games are geared more towards veteran players, it's still probably going to leave out the smooching.
Like I said in another comment, this whole romance thing might not be what people are thinking. It might have nothing to do with the NPC’s, but instead be related to the Legendaries.

Not a lot to say here because colors don't really tell us anything. I will note, however, that the in-game Game Freak office has been known to carry hints and that these are the posters that we see in there in Sun and Moon:

View attachment 112620

I think that blue poster could have been a hint to the release of the Pokemon Crystal Virtual Console version, because that did come later. But I don't believe that we have seen anything resembling the other two and if any of these posters really are hints for Gen 8... then look at all that not-green there, wow.
Has anyone gotten high quality rips of those posters yet?

A lot of leaks during the Sun/Moon leak season where people who posted text-based information with no way to verify it. But the exact same thing happened, people jumped on the fake train.
Take a look at this Gen 7 leak thread and see how many fakes are in it. Or this one, for USUM. Or this one for ORAS leaks.
There Is a difference between plausible ridiculous and implausible ridiculous. Like we will never get a Pokémon game rated M. But having all the starters secondary types being fairy? It is odd, and it might not make sense but I wouldn’t put it past gamefreak.
Then how about this-why would this leaker (or their source) know the typing of the starters' final evolutions, but nothing else? The only credible leaks for starters we've had showed designs, not typing. (Lots of people were convinced Incineroar was a Fighting type) They claim to be certain that some of their details are true (even though they won't state which ones), and their sources supposedly know story details, logo art, game themes, and typing of the starters, but they don't know details that should be easier to learn, like the inspiration of the region. (despite having actually seen the region and apparently knowing some of the design process for the games)
And again, just because one part of the leak is fake, doesn’t mean the whole thing is fake.
And I'll say again-when so much of a leak is clearly people making up information, what makes them worth paying attention to?
I’m not saying that these leaks are real, not (it is a bit too early for Gen 8 Leaks right now), it’s just that no one takes the time to think about the leaks in question.
...What do you think we're doing on this thread?
For example the whole romance plot thing mentioned in the leak. Most people either A) say it’s fake because they don’t like it, or B) because it hasn’t happened before or seems off.
There's also people commenting on the vagueness of the leaker and the lowball guesses.
Or you could just have fun with it, and think about how it could be applied to a Pokémon game.
It's possible to have fun and speculate on possibilities without giving credence to a 4Chan user making stuff up.
Also this thread serves as a discussion/catalog of leaks. Of course a ton of them are going to be fake, but there are definitely some interesting ideas in some of these leaks on the main page.
There's plenty of threads out there to discuss interesting ideas while being fully honest that a person is sharing their own ideas and not pretending to know upcoming information.

Crazy different like Lets Go? I mean, when the leak came out, there was already a real/fake leak war going on because it sounded “crazy different”. No one would have expected it. Removing wild Pokémon battles? Gym entrance requirements? Even some of the features added in older games sound crazy different, and out there. Mega evolutions? Z-Moves? Fairy type? My personal view of things is this: Until Leaks are confirmed real or fake, keep an open mind and have fun with it. Think about how it could be incorporated into the game, if it’s real, instead of being dead set on trying to disprove it (like the whole Alola Starter situation).

Usually though when they do this, they throw out a lot of “safe guesses”. In this case here, it’s more “out there”.

Like I said in another comment, this whole romance thing might not be what people are thinking. It might have nothing to do with the NPC’s, but instead be related to the Legendaries.
Yes, crazy different like Let's Go. We discussed Let's Go to hell and back because it was crazy different. This leak isn't remotely crazy different, unless you count the romance thing which- even if it was related to the legendaries, doesn't sound right. Not in a "They've never done this before." way but in a "Why the heck are you putting a major romance theme in a game that is supposed to be open to young kids?" way. Young kids get turned off by romance, especially boys, it's kind of too mature for them. But let's say that it's not romance between NPCs, that it is... between the legendaries for some reason? Welcome to the awkward world of stuffing Romeo and Juliet in a pokeball.

Romance plot aside, this leak was all pretty much safe guesses from the vague "the region is European, not sure which" to the "better graphics" (already confirmed in an official statement) and the number of pokemon. Also random opposite color choices and a project name that doesn't matter.

Has anyone gotten high quality rips of those posters yet?
I swear I've seen some somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them. They pretty much look the same as that but at a flat angle, though, just as smudgy.

So, in terms of the romance plot in these "leaks," I think it could work if the romance were between the box mascots and they were star-crossed for most of the game, with your duty being to reunite them so some sort of miracle can happen. However, the mascots are pretty much the only way I see a central theme of romance fitting into any Pokémon game. In fact, seeing these mascots interact in such a way would be refreshing instead of their relationship stemming solely from their roles in nature/being opposing forces that get used as tools for world domination.

#boxlegendaryromance2019

So, in terms of the romance plot in these "leaks," I think it could work if the romance were between the box mascots and they were star-crossed for most of the game, with your duty being to reunite them so some sort of miracle can happen. However, the mascots are pretty much the only way I see a central theme of romance fitting into any Pokémon game. In fact, seeing these mascots interact in such a way would be refreshing instead of their relationship stemming solely from their roles in nature/being opposing forces that get used as tools for world domination.

#boxlegendaryromance2019
That could be really interesting. Instead of doing everything you can to keep them apart, you do whatever you can to bring them together. Although, didn't you have to bring all the Tapu's together to make solgaleo/lunala appear?

That could be really interesting. Instead of doing everything you can to keep them apart, you do whatever you can to bring them together.

That's why I suggested it. Most of the games rely on keeping the legendaries from killing/absorbing each other, so I'd like to see one game where two box mascots don't have to be on opposing sides.
jonathan keller said:
Although, didn't you have to bring all the Tapu's together to make solgaleo/lunala appear?
No, you needed two flutes to make them appear. Lillie was merely asking the Tapus to help Nebby since it wanted to go to their ruins.

Although, didn't you have to bring all the Tapu's together to make solgaleo/lunala appear?
As far as I know, with the exception of Tapu Koko, the only thing the tapus did was help defend the islands from the UBs, and even then, it was implied since they only showed Koko. Afterwards, they become just another Pokémon to catch in the post-game.

#boxlegendaryromance2019
Eeeeeeeh... I still very much want to pass on that plot because you know in the end we're stuffing them into a pokeball regardless.

A friend pointed out something in this interview here-
Pokemon president on the Let's Go games, 2019 entry, Poke Ball Plus, Pokemon GO, more - Page 2 of 3 - Nintendo Everything

One thing that we’d really like to know… Will any completely new Pokemon appear?

Ishihara: It feels like they might! The game is set in the Kanto region so some people might look at it like a remake of Pokemon Yellow but…We are planning to add new elements including Pokemon that you see for the first time.

So we might get more than just the one new pokemon from Let's Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom