• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend pointed out something in this interview here-
Pokemon president on the Let's Go games, 2019 entry, Poke Ball Plus, Pokemon GO, more - Page 2 of 3 - Nintendo Everything

So we might get more than just the one new pokemon from Let's Go?
By new pokémon, they could either mean the pokémon that's expected and a new mythical pokémon, or they could be referring to the new megas that might be coming.

If any rumor just took a leap towards credibility more than any other, it's the Chinese riddler Mega evolutions one.

Eeeeeeeh... I still very much want to pass on that plot because you know in the end we're stuffing them into a pokeball regardless.

You make a good point in regards to catching the legendary Pokémon. In response, I can think of two ways to get around this, both of which involve the inclusion of three legendaries instead of two:
  1. The legendary you end up catching is a third wheel. Basically, the legendary who you reunite with its beloved is the mascot of the opposite version. Your mascot is either a third wheel in regards to the relationship or a matchmaker. Regardless, your mascot ends up joining your team because there’s nothing else going for it afterwards. Of course, this could mean that only getting one legendary per game necessitates an opening triad of games instead of the traditional opening pair, but that could also dissuade Game Freak from releasing an updated “third version” and force them to get everything right the first time around.
  2. The story requires you to catch two legendaries during the story. If you think about it, this would make sense from a narrative standpoint. If two legendaries are normally being kept apart, then what better way to keep them together without robbing us of catching the legends is there than having them with the same trainer? Nothing will stop you from trading them off at that point, but then we just get into Gameplay and Story Segregation territory at that point.
A friend pointed out something in this interview here-
Pokemon president on the Let's Go games, 2019 entry, Poke Ball Plus, Pokemon GO, more - Page 2 of 3 - Nintendo Everything

So we might get more than just the one new pokemon from Let's Go?

If we end up getting more than one new Pokémon, my bet is that they’ll solely consist of the Pokémon scrapped from consideration for Red and Green (possibly including the sprites revealed in that one Satoshi Tajiri manga). This was what we initially speculated for these games before the whole “151 + 1 new Pokémon only” was announced as a thing for LGPE. I wouldn’t hold my breath for it though.

You make a good point in regards to catching the legendary Pokémon. In response, I can think of two ways to get around this, both of which involve the inclusion of three legendaries instead of two:
  1. The legendary you end up catching is a third wheel. Basically, the legendary who you reunite with its beloved is the mascot of the opposite version. Your mascot is either a third wheel in regards to the relationship or a matchmaker. Regardless, your mascot ends up joining your team because there’s nothing else going for it afterwards. Of course, this could mean that only getting one legendary per game necessitates an opening triad of games instead of the traditional opening pair, but that could also dissuade Game Freak from releasing an updated “third version” and force them to get everything right the first time around.
  2. The story requires you to catch two legendaries during the story. If you think about it, this would make sense from a narrative standpoint. If two legendaries are normally being kept apart, then what better way to keep them together without robbing us of catching the legends is there than having them with the same trainer? Nothing will stop you from trading them off at that point, but then we just get into Gameplay and Story Segregation territory at that point.

How about you catch Legendary A and then you realise that Legendary A loves Legendary B and that they have to be together for the universe to remain safe. As such, you have to release Legendary A.

Lmfao. And star-crossed lovers would fit well with the Tanabata legend. Jirachi will have some partners I guess!

As much as I want something like this to happen just for the pure fact of having the whole mascot trio available in the paired games. I don't think it'll happen, sadly. The closest thing we had were in the Johto games where even though Ho-oh and Lugia were mascots, you could still catch both regardless which version you had. The only other time it would happen again is if the plot revolves around needing all three mascots being caught in the same version to progress (i.e. the Tao trio for the Original Dragon).

If we end up getting more than one new Pokémon, my bet is that they’ll solely consist of the Pokémon scrapped from consideration for Red and Green (possibly including the sprites revealed in that one Satoshi Tajiri manga). This was what we initially speculated for these games before the whole “151 + 1 new Pokémon only” was announced as a thing for LGPE. I wouldn’t hold my breath for it though.
I hope Kotora and Raitora finally have a chance since they were scrapped from both Gen I and Gen II.

By new pokémon, they could either mean the pokémon that's expected and a new mythical pokémon, or they could be referring to the new megas that might be coming.

If any rumor just took a leap towards credibility more than any other, it's the Chinese riddler Mega evolutions one.
Can't be megas, because the question was new pokemon and the answer was pokemon that you see for the first time... megas aren't new pokemon and we wouldn't be seeing them for the first time, only their forms.

Can't be megas, because the question was new pokemon and the answer was pokemon that you see for the first time... megas aren't new pokemon and we wouldn't be seeing them for the first time, only their forms.
Keep in mind that Mega Mewtwo Y was also referred to as a “new Pokémon” at one point, as was both Black Kyurem and White Kyurem before it.

I thought we were all aware that New Pokémon and New Forms are synonymous concepts, as far as TPCi and GF are concerned.

It's called PR talk.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Mega Mewtwo Y was also referred to as a “new Pokémon” at one point, as was both Black Kyurem and White Kyurem before it.
That means the most recent time that "new Pokemon" was used in reference to a new form was five years ago. Meanwhile, the official SuMo site makes it clear Alolan Pokemon are new forms rather than separate species. Pokémon

That means the most recent time that "new Pokemon" was used in reference to a new form was five years ago. Meanwhile, the official SuMo site makes it clear Alolan Pokemon are new forms rather than separate species. Pokémon

Yeah, but with Alola forms, they weren’t really trying to play up any intrigue. I think it makes more sense to be upfront in that case, since Alola Forms aren’t something that you can transform your Pokémon into - the whole idea behind the concept is that this is what those Pokémon look like in Alola. So immediately making it clear that they are different forms from the ones we’re used to is sort of inevitable. Beating around the bush and saying, “This new Pokémon looks oddly like Rattata... we’ll tell you what’s up with that in three months” would just make it more confusing. Whereas Mega Mewtwo Y was deliberately used as a teaser for the broader concept of Mega Evolution - there was supposed to be a period of time during which we could only speculate as to the mechanism behind this new Mewtwo-like Pokémon (plus, Mewtwo is much more recognizable and special than, like, Grimer or whatever, so from a promotional perspective, it’s more appropriate for playing those kinds of games with - a new Pokémon(!?) looking like Mewtwo will get a lot more peoples’ attention).

I can’t remember how they treated Primal Groudon and Kyogre before release, though. Anyone recall?

The ORAS press release didn't even acknowledge the mascots, while the Daisuki website referred to them as "never before seen Pokemon" and pointed out the differences from Groudon and Kyogre. I think it's understandable that they didn't call them new forms, because technically Megas have never been compared to forms and Primals were just a spin on Megas.

The description of the USUM mascots was much more to the point: "Two new Pokémon forms were shown resembling that of the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala."

Similarly:

At the end of the video introducing Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!, there was some text that says you'll meet a special Pokémon, and I'm just wondering if that means something different than the Alolan Exeggutor you just talked about?

Mr. Ishihara: You were really paying attention to the details! I can say that the video is referring to an all-new Pokémon that will be appearing in Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!
That's fairly clear cut in my opinion.

The ORAS press release didn't even acknowledge the mascots, while the Daisuki website referred to them as "never before seen Pokemon" and pointed out the differences from Groudon and Kyogre. I think it's understandable that they didn't call them new forms, because technically Megas have never been compared to forms and Primals were just a spin on Megas.

The description of the USUM mascots was much more to the point: "Two new Pokémon forms were shown resembling that of the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo and Lunala."

Similarly:

That's fairly clear cut in my opinion.

Obviously, the all-new pokemon is the new one that everyone has been expecting. Look at how that sentence is structured. The tweet says "AN" all-new pokemon, not " including" or "some" all-new pokemon. ''An" implies one.

The major point from this discussion is that there might be new pokemon other than the one we expect. The comment "An all-new pokemon" was only talking about one. There could be more that aren't new...just upgraded versions of older pokemon.

I'm pretty sure that a few people here were implying that even that one Pokemon might just be a form of some sorts. I disagree.

The plural wording should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
since people (more than one) brought up aloha forms, i want to ask why Cubone and Pikachu don't have them
I don't think Execute does either

But I hope they add and expand on the alohans in gen 8. Who else would you all like to see have that done to and what might they type change be?

Voltorb and Electrode (Fire) because they would be balls of fire
Koffing and Weezing (Poison/Flying) because they leviate
Ekans and Arbok (Dark) because they are evil/sinister
Krabby/Kingler (Steel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom