• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that way because Pokemon GO (LGPE's entire reason for existence) was not released until the summer of 2016.

Pokémon GO was first a joke game called "Pokémon Challenge" during 2013 April Fools' Day. Later on they decided to develop a full fleshed game and it was oficially announced by Ishihara during 2015.

Games take time to develop and conceptualize.

Pokémon GO was first a joke game called "Pokémon Challenge" during 2013 April Fools' Day. Later on they decided to develop a full fleshed game and it was oficially announced by Ishihara during 2015.

They didn't know that Pokemon GO would be the global phenomenon that it ended up being until after it released. Pokemon Let's Go would not exist if Pokemon GO flopped.

Yeah but why would they start developing a game based on Pokemon GO before it was even released and popular? You can't decide to try to bring together two groups of fans when one group doesn't exist yet. That's like if they decided that Shuffle was going to be popular and thus we needed a main series + Shuffle crossover.

So, it seems that there is not much news coming out right now. Does anyone know when we're supposed to expect a big announcement?
Like I said before, I think we will be getting news on the new Pokémon next month or October. Maybe by December we will start getting news on Gen VIII.

If we go by past patterns (which I doubt they will stray from this time), we shouldn't really be hearing any information until early next year. We know that the game is coming out at the end of the year and not any time earlier. So I don't see them changing the way they have done things in the past. Although announcing it by word at last year's E3 was a different approach, I suppose.

Pokemon Let's Go would not exist if Pokemon GO flopped.
Not necessarily. Maybe not “Lets Go”, but instead Kanto Remakes in a similar style. Either or, it all seemed to stem from Gen 5 hate. People really disliked Gen 5 because they couldn’t get old Pokémon right away, even though Gen 5 tried something new. That’s why X/Y had a whole bunch of Pokémon from a number of different generations, and loads of Kanto pandering. Same for Sun/Moon, And now Lets Go being the culmination of Kanto that has been building up the last few years. If that makes any sense.

Not necessarily. Maybe not “Lets Go”, but instead Kanto Remakes in a similar style. Either or, it all seemed to stem from Gen 5 hate. People really disliked Gen 5 because they couldn’t get old Pokémon right away, even though Gen 5 tried something new. That’s why X/Y had a whole bunch of Pokémon from a number of different generations, and loads of Kanto pandering. Same for Sun/Moon, And now Lets Go being the culmination of Kanto that has been building up the last few years. If that makes any sense.
Why would people wanting the past four generations lead to Game Freak to decide to focus solely on one of them? And why would they plan to follow through with this for two more generations, ignoring all the complaints about Kanto, if complaints were their motive in the first place?

Why would people wanting the past four generations lead to Game Freak to decide to focus solely on one of them? And why would they plan to follow through with this for two more generations, ignoring all the complaints about Kanto, if complaints were their motive in the first place?
People complain about the lack of Kanto mons = Gamefreak decides to over represent Kanto for the next 2 generations.

I think game freak has the "wrong idea" in certain areas. Like the whole no battle frontier because young people are always on their phones (something along those lines), and the whole simple graphics for let's go or it might be "shocking" to some. Iirc some of the interviews from Sun/Moon and X/Y, talk about Kanto mons and nostalgia (especially with the whole Alola forms thing, being Kanye only). Even though people complain about Kanto, I think, game freak believes the opposite. They seem to think everyone likes Kanto.

People complain about the lack of Kanto mons = Gamefreak decides to over represent Kanto for the next 2 generations.

I think game freak has the "wrong idea" in certain areas. Like the whole no battle frontier because young people are always on their phones (something along those lines), and the whole simple graphics for let's go or it might be "shocking" to some. Iirc some of the interviews from Sun/Moon and X/Y, talk about Kanto mons and nostalgia (especially with the whole Alola forms thing, being Kanye only). Even though people complain about Kanto, I think, game freak believes the opposite. They seem to think everyone likes Kanto.

Although I'm one of those persons that are neutral in this situation, I still find this kind of worrying. Sure, I get it, people got angry over the fact they couldn't get their favorite Pokémon, and that they are trying to fix this.

The problem is that they think everyone loves Kanto, even though the original games were obvious betas, were unbalanced as hell and that sincerely, Kanto is horribly featureless (no culture, no personality, no anything), so they are filling the newest regions with Kanto Pokémon to the point they are sacrificing the newcomers.

I think that a better way to handle the whole situation would be to either balance the Pokédex so that they have more or less the same number of Pokémon per generation, or make more Pokémon so that the routes don't end up having just one new Pokémon.

I hope that Gen VIII doesn't have Kanto Pokémon. Not only it will give a rest to the people that hate Kanto, it will make LGPE (partially) relevant since you can't get Gen I Pokémon without trading with those games.

Last edited:
I don't think that these games are going to be the hardcore fan's dream game that some people think it is. I'm thinking that these games will play just like the 3DS games.
Oh yeah, definitely not going to be the hardcore fan's dream game- I think that's kind of outside of Game Freak's range. I figure reasonable expectations is that it might be less handholdy than the 3DS games were. Because they seemed to have been pretty dumbed down and extra tutorial-y so newcomers wouldn't get lost or confused by anything (because figuring stuff out on your own is such a bad thing >.>) but with Let's Go, it's like they finally separated the concept of "easy for newcomers" from the main series. So you can get all your Pokemon tutorial done with that game and then progress to the Gen 8 title which will hopefully just expect you to understand most of this shit by now.

Biggest advancement in 20+ years of the franchise- finally being able to skip the pokemon catching tutorial? Fingers crossed.

I think Pokemon Switch will be like X/Y. Low on Pokémon but high on “innovation”. I think they are going to try and take full advantage of the Switch and it’s capabilities for the game (like X/Y and the 3DS). I’m going to say (based on patterns), we might get a smaller region (Spain? Italy? Maybe it will include Kalos to make it “bigger”) with a solid 83 New Pokemon.

Gen 9 I think, they will do something big and different along the lines of Gen 5. Maybe it will be in China (since the #9 is important in China). There will probably be a lot of Pokémon, maybe reaching 1000 Pokemon (at 83 New mons, Gen 8 will bring it to around 890. Gen 9 just needs 110 new Pokémon to reach 1000. I don’t think they will split it up anymore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom