• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon today and the first generation

Yeah, my favorite generation is Gen 5, but that doesn't mean I would like it being referenced so much in the current games, I would get sick and tired of it. No matter the generation, if it gets referenced over and over again, I will get sick and tired of it because of Game Freak's refusal of letting go (pun not intended) of the past.

Yeah, my favorite generation is Gen 5, but that doesn't mean I would like it being referenced so much in the current games, I would get sick and tired of it. No matter the generation, if it gets referenced over and over again, I will get sick and tired of it because of Game Freak's refusal of letting go (pun not intended) of the past.
Yeah. I think that GF should stop living in the past and move on with the franchise. But, I only think that they will stop pandering to Gen 1 if LGPE flops.

The clear Gen I/ Kanto bias of Game Freak is something that understandably bothers some people, but it doesn't bother me personally. I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me because the first 151 Pokémon are among my favourites (pretty much all of my favourite Pokémon come from the first 3 generations, with very few Sinnoh and Unova exceptions). So that helps.

So if we are talking about Game Freak spamming the first 151 Pokémon in every new game they make, no problem for me. I like them, and I am not bored by their presence.

However, some other favouritisms that GF show towards Kanto, I find more irritating. For example, restricting Alola forms to only Gen I Pokémon is stupid.

The Alola protagonists' family moving in from Kanto was unnecessary. It would've made more sense if the protagonist was moving in to Alola from nearby Unova, for example.

Everybody in Alola talking about Kanto, as if it was a neighboring region was also unnecessary. Ok it has some Kanto culture, but literally everyone in Alola is obsessed with Kanto, which is stupid.

I mean, in USUM, they even named a Gym prototype the "KANTONIAN" Gym. As if there are no Gym outside of freaking Kanto.

And so on.

But again, such things I find unnecessary, but they don't really bother me, as I like Kanto enough to be ok with the pandering.

Last edited:
Everybody in Alola talking about Kanto, as if it was a neighboring region was also unnecessary. Ok it has some Kanto culture, but literally everyone in Alola is obsessed with Kanto, which is stupid.

I mean, in USUM, they even named a Gym prototype the "KANTONIAN" Gym. As if there are no Gym outside of freaking Kanto.
Not to mention Kukui acting like the Kanto Elite Four is the greatest thing happened to mankind.

The Alola protagonists' family moving in from Kanto was unnecessary. It would've made more sense if the protagonist was moving in to Alola from nearby Unova, for example.

Maybe, but since Lillie has to go to Kanto in order to consult with Bill about healing Lusamine, the story would lose its symmetrical "full circle" moment if you came from any other region, and the games would lose their anniversarial note of ending with someone going off to Kanto to begin their own new journey. I often say that the story aspect of Pokémon is inherently pointless, and I do stand by that in the broad sense, but to give credit where it's due, I thought that was a really clever and appropriate bookend for the SM story. I wouldn't change it.

But to be fair, I think this is just as much a reference to how in the real world, Japan has had a pretty extensive relationship with and influence on Hawaii. I mean, obviously there is a Gen 1-shilling aspect to it, because SM are anniversary games, but this quality of Alola isn't without its own more natural context as well. In regards to the influence of Poké-Japan on Alola's culture, they make it clear that it isn't solely the Kanto region that has had a big impact, but rather Kanto and Johto together, since they're neighbors. Heahea is said to have been settled by immigrants from both regions, and Malie is far more overtly Johtonian in style, with only a couple of Kantonian things mixed in like the Nugget Bridge and the tourist trap Gym*.

* Which, yes, there are Gyms in far more regions than just Kanto, but that imitation in particular came into existence as a result of this cultural interaction between Alola and Kanto. The creator of the "Gym" designed it based on his memories of Kanto, having traveled there at some point and misinterpreted the local ideas and customs, which he then brought back with him to Alola. I'd have to double-check, but I think in the guidebook interview Iwao mentions that he was specifically inspired by an experience when he saw a Japanese-themed tourist shop in another country and was amused by how his own culture was perceived and misunderstood in a foreign land. So the Kantonian Gym is there to act as a reference, sure, but it also serves to create yet another example of worldbuilding. Personally, I am A-okay with references that fulfill that purpose, because they add texture to the setting.

I absolutely agree with @Esserise 's post.

The clear Gen I/ Kanto bias of Game Freak is something that understandably bothers many people, but it doesn't bother me personally. I don't like it, but it doesn't bother me because the first 151 Pokémon are among my favourites (pretty much all of my favourite Pokémon come from the first 3 generations, with very few Sinnoh and Unova exceptions). So that helps.

So if we are talking about Game Freak spamming the first 151 Pokémon in every new game they make, no problem for me. I like them, and I am not bored by their presence.

However, some other favouritisms that GF show towards Kanto, I find more irritating. For example, restricting Alola forms to only Gen I Pokémon is stupid.

And so on.

But again, such things I find unnecessary, but they don't really bother me, as I like Kanto enough to be ok with the pandering.
Yeah. Sometimes, Kanto pandering can get excessive and it gets on my nerves. Gens 2-7 should have some love too.

Not to mention Kukui acting like the Kanto Elite Four is the greatest thing happened to mankind.
I personally give that reference a pass. The only Pokémon League that comes close to its difficulty is Sinnoh’s, which is mostly due to their champion. I concur on the other Kanto references though.

I fear that GF may be doing the ultimate level of Gen 1 pandering: getting rid of every Pokemon except for the original 151.

I don't think that it will happen, but I am paranoid that it will. LGPE is the reason why.

LGPE is a specialized side-project that is obviously reiterating the Pokémon GO method, and we already know from Ishihara that next year’s game will introduce new Pokémon. There’s nothing to be “paranoid” about.

LGPE is a specialized side-project that is obviously reiterating the Pokémon GO method, and we already know from Ishihara that next year’s game will introduce new Pokémon. There’s nothing to be “paranoid” about.
I fear that the only Pokemon that will be in the 2019 game are the new Pokemon and the original 151.

I fear that the only Pokemon that will be in the 2019 game are the new Pokemon and the original 151.
I actually have the same worries as you do on this matter. I doubt they'd do it if only because of the amount of backlash they'd get for it, but it does seem like the lack of the National Dex in Gen 7 and the existence of LGPE is preparing us for something like this. They could at least spare the cross-gen evolutions if they plan on rebooting the Pokédex like that, but I doubt they'd think that through.

The only thing I can say about this is that there's only so much Game Freak can remove before losing a good portion of their fan base.

Looks like the Amazon pre-orders of LGPE are dropping really fast, hopefully that finally changes Game Freak's mind about focusing on Gen 1.

Last edited:

I’d say that’s incredibly unlikely, and as a concern is not really founded on anything substantial.

But even if that were the case, that wouldn’t necessarily mean that the Pokémon in between those groups would be gone forever.

but it does seem like the lack of the National Dex in Gen 7 and the existence of LGPE is preparing us for something like this.

In what way does it “seem” like that in comparison to the more straightforward and logical reasons for those decisions? They removed the National Pokédex to make the task of “completing the Pokédex” seem less daunting. Instead of having to catch 800+, you only need to get what’s in the region natively. The National Dex itself never even really provided new content of any kind - it was just the same old entries from previous games copied over, and how many players do you think ever actually bothered to go through and read them time after time? It was precisely the kind of thing that they could feasibly dump onto Pokémon Bank for anybody who actually even cares that much about it. And again, LGPE is taking most of its executional cues from GO - if it turns out to be a market success, then they’ll be glad they held off on including any Pokémon from later generations because then they can roll those out in subsequent Let’s Go games. And if it fails, then it’s not a tremendous loss - they will infer that the Let’s Go approach wasn’t popular, and they can wash their hands of it as a one-time experimental project.

Speaking of GO, it still has four whole rosters to unload, and that’s without counting the 2019 batch. It’d be extremely awkward for GO, which has already added Pokémon from Gens 2 and 3, to keep marching on with the rollouts while the main series conducted some unjustifiably puristic damnatio memoriae of everything in between Gens 1 and 8. Even Pokémon Quest only started with the original batch of Pokémon, but it seems to have space in the code for all of the others.

You’ve got to make a huge leap to start thinking that they’re going to do something as nonsensical as permanently removing whole swaths of Pokémon altogether. Masuda has even said that they’re well aware of how disappointed some fans were when they weren’t able to transfer their Pokémon from Gold & Silver to Ruby & Sapphire, and would like to find a way to enable transfers from LGPE to the 2019 game. That’s not the kind of attitude that leads to the sort of erasure you’re suggesting.

Last edited:
Preorders mean anything.
How the game does after launch is what matters.

Besides, that "Amazon Japan preorders are going down" thing was already debunked:
upload_2018-8-16_22-24-24.png

Ruffld Rowlit was surprised at seeing this, but I'm not surprised it's not as popular as expected. With the combination of a simplified game, combined with a price tag that doesn't make sense with said game and mobile market not wanting to buy a $300 console, even some of the most popular franchises experience a huge low sometime and 80% is due to making the wrong changes to it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom