• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Bank: Is there a future?

AnthonyS

Reaction score
With all the recent speculation, leaks, news, and information about the upcoming games flying about, I wonder if there is perhaps a future for Pokémon Bank? (I ask this as a genuine question, as I have no clue and I am nowhere near up to date on any information on upcoming games. :p) I know that many people have hundreds of pokémon stored on their many games, some transferred and traded up through a long chain of generations. Many have rare events, shinies, or even a complete living pokédex stored away on in their Pokémon Bank accounts. Will these pokémon collections be able to be transferred into the next generation that will take place on the Nintendo Switch?

Now, I know there is a huge debate raging about the status of Let’s Go Pokémon Pikachu / Eevee, and again, I am not caught up on the recent information or developments as I’ve seen next to no spoilers. That said, I don’t see Pokémon Bank connecting to these games, instead waiting for the “official” Generation 8 games that will be realeased sometimes near the end of 2019 to connect to. I have absolutely no idea if this is true, however, and I am genuinely curious on the matter. My worst fear is that we won’t be able to transfer any of our pokémon into the new generation, however that’s hopefully just an irrational nightmare that will never come to pass.

So what do you guys think? Does Pokémon Bank have a place in the new generation of games? If so, when? (Also if this debate has already been answered, please, I am incredibly uneducated on the topic and simply link an article or explain it to me. :D Also, I THINK this post is in the right section, but if not, can a moderator please move it to the correct one?)

Yes.
I believe they can update it to work with the Switch and people will be able to use it to transfer their Pokemon forward. It seems like it was developed as a longt term solution to the issue of being able to transfer forward and I dont think they ever intend on a situation like what happened with Gen 3 again. It also keeps them from having to make a new transfer system in every new gen when they can just update Pokemon Bank.

My worst fear is that we won’t be able to transfer any of our pokémon into the new generation, however that’s hopefully just an irrational nightmare that will never come to pass.
There's no way that's gonna be the case. They're aware of the frustrations that the previous instance caused, and that one was due to a hardware issue, a now nonexistant problem as consoles advance.

I think Pokémon Bank or a similar service to replace Bank will continue to exist. However, I hope that we'll get more (unlimited) space for the boxes. Right now I constantly have to release newly bred Pokémon because the box space is shared with room for only 3000 Pokémon. Unless the the storage space is increased, it won't be very useful for future generations.

Otherwise it's a genius idea and GF probably makes a lot of money off the subscriptions, so I don't see why they'd suddenly stop supporting it. On top of that, you can even use it to transfer Pokémon from the first two generations, there should be no way they'll make the new games incompatible.

Yes.
I believe they can update it to work with the Switch and people will be able to use it to transfer their Pokemon forward. It seems like it was developed as a longt term solution to the issue of being able to transfer forward and I dont think they ever intend on a situation like what happened with Gen 3 again. It also keeps them from having to make a new transfer system in every new gen when they can just update Pokemon Bank.
There's no way that's gonna be the case. They're aware of the frustrations that the previous instance caused, and that one was due to a hardware issue, a now nonexistant problem as consoles advance.
Whew, that is such a huge relief. I was been trying to rebuild my collection of pokémon after losing almost everything and a tiny, irrational part of me was paranoid Nintendo would replicate the disaster. I’m glad to hear the general concensus is that Pokémon Bank will be around for generations to come. :p

However, I hope that we'll get more (unlimited) space for the boxes. Right now I constantly have to release newly bred Pokémon because the box space is shared with room for only 3000 Pokémon. Unless the the storage space is increased, it won't be very useful for future generations.

You know, I’ve never ran across the problem of space yet, but I can easily see how it would be an issue for many avid breeders and collectors. I hope that they increase the capacity limit as well then, I’m in no way eager to run experience the same issue.

I remember running into a guy at a convention swearing he heard rumors that Bank wasn't going to be compatible with the upcoming Switch games.

Turned out the Switch games were LGPE, which probably won't have Switch compatibility with Bank until Gen 8 arrives, so I guess he was sort of right.

Turned out the Switch games were LGPE, which probably won't have Switch compatibility with Bank until Gen 8 arrives, so I guess he was sort of right.
There is a new Pokemon being announced for LGPE, so maybe some sort of transfer program would exist to connect Generation 8 and LGPE.

I think Pokemon Bank would be discontinued for the 3DS eventually, or made into freeware after everyone moves onto the Switch, so it may be replaced by something else, say Pokemon Bank +, and be a Switch exclusive. People can connect Bank with Bank + and have a 1-way transfer onto the Switch. Or Pokemon Bank will stay and exist on the Switch, too, but with the possibility that Nintendo Wifi support for the 3DS may be discontinued eventually, leaving it on the 3DS would be a bit useless, unless I'm being an idiot and there's no Nintendo Wifi for 3DS

I think Pokemon Bank would be discontinued for the 3DS eventually, or made into freeware after everyone moves onto the Switch, so it may be replaced by something else, say Pokemon Bank +, and be a Switch exclusive. People can connect Bank with Bank + and have a 1-way transfer onto the Switch. Or Pokemon Bank will stay and exist on the Switch, too, but with the possibility that Nintendo Wifi support for the 3DS may be discontinued eventually, leaving it on the 3DS would be a bit useless, unless I'm being an idiot and there's no Nintendo Wifi for 3DS
I think there is a tiny possibility that it will be discontinued for the 3DS, but I don’t see it happening realistically. I think that perhaps WiFi support will be discontinued, but I don’t see a reason why they would scrap the Bank. There’s just no reason to, and if it makes money still, I don’t think it will be trashed. I do think that any future exchanges between games will be one way. There’s bound to be new regions and new pokémon that won’t be able to be able to be transferred, so that will stop any transactions back and forth. Plus, we’ve seen a history of that already, so I don’t see it changing.

Yes and no.

Yes: All the statements above

No: Not only does Pokebank money, going online also costs money. For most adults, that isn't an issue, but for parents it is, since for them its kinda pointless too spend money on both. So either Bank has going too be free (And knowing GF, this is NEVER gonna happen), or the online subsciption for Pokemon doesn't exist, which will lose Nintendo huge amounts of money with all the competitive stuff going on, so i also can't see that happening.

I think there is a tiny possibility that it will be discontinued for the 3DS, but I don’t see it happening realistically. I think that perhaps WiFi support will be discontinued, but I don’t see a reason why they would scrap the Bank. There’s just no reason to, and if it makes money still, I don’t think it will be trashed. I do think that any future exchanges between games will be one way. There’s bound to be new regions and new pokémon that won’t be able to be able to be transferred, so that will stop any transactions back and forth. Plus, we’ve seen a history of that already, so I don’t see it changing.
The theoretical Pokemon Bank Plus could just be Pokemon Bank but with added goodies and LGPE/Gen 8 support, so I'm thinking Bank will be scrapped, but not really.

Also, I think transferring Pokemon from one generation back a gen should be possible, just not new Pokemon introduced in said generations and without exclusive moves. It'll be extremely tricky to code (maybe), but at least it would be somewhat easier to complete a Pokedex if you aren't willing to buy both games

I thought Pokemon Bank was more or less a cloud storage system? Shouldn't it be able to connect to future generations?
On Bulbapedia itself:
"Pokémon Bank allows players to store up to 3000 Pokémon from the games in an online cloud"
So yes, I guess I forgot about the cloud.

I thought Pokemon Bank was more or less a cloud storage system? Shouldn't it be able to connect to future generations?
Boy, I hope so. I am not aware of how Pokémon Bank works and just assumed it functioned on a cloud system. I just never considered how this would affect its future.

Maybe they could use Bank's service on the Switch. But then again, a paid online service for an outdated system wouldn't last long. Maybe the storage system of Gen 8 should have a capacity that rivals Bank, and there can be a way to trade between two versions on the same console (since the files are in the console and not the cards), and a way to transfer Pokémon from the 3DS/DS game with Download Play and the GB/GBC/GBA games with that Gamecube Adapter made for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and a GCN/GBA cable?

Maybe they could use Bank's service on the Switch. But then again, a paid online service for an outdated system wouldn't last long.
But if Bank was on the Switch, it wouldn't just be on an outdated system, it'd be on the current one as well.

Maybe the storage system of Gen 8 should have a capacity that rivals Bank, and there can be a way to trade between two versions on the same console (since the files are in the console and not the cards), and a way to transfer Pokémon from the 3DS/DS game with Download Play and the GB/GBC/GBA games with that Gamecube Adapter made for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and a GCN/GBA cable?
The Switch isn't capable of either of those things.

Or you know what? How about not give us any way to transfer Pokémon from past games. I would like all my Pokémon to stay in my older games that I still play. It's fun to roast some trainer's with my Level 100 Charizard in FireRed, and I like to look at my collection of Pokémon in the PC. So there's no way I'm going to transfer my older Pokémon over to newer games unless I'm able to trade them back. Just give us a way to collect all 1000 Pokémon in the new games alone and not force us to give up Pokémon from our old games.

Or you know what? How about not give us any way to transfer Pokémon from past games.
Last time that happened, there was a huge backlash even though it was justified (differences in how Pokemon data was structured iirc). I doubt Gamefreak would want to repeat history.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom