• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are there any type combinations/concepts you want to see in future games?

Some of my favorite concepts from a Fakedex I've been working on are:
  • Atterkopf, a Bug-type black widow spider/Skulltula that only evolves into the Bug/Dark-type Sinisilk if it's female
  • Crickid, a Bug-type cricket that evolves into Locusatsu, which is a Bug/Fighting-type grasshopper based on Kamen Rider (and also my current avatar)
  • Fleazebag, a Bug/Poison-type flea that evolves into Docsquito, a Bug/Poison-type plague doctor mosquito
  • Polarva, Chrysalice and Tundroth, a fluffy Bug/Ice-type moth line
  • Buoytle, a bulky Bug/Water-type diving beetle/rhino beetle hybrid
  • Armant, a Bug/Ground-type army ant that evolves into the explosive Commandant when it learns Self-Destruct
  • Baoby, a cute Grass/Fire-type baobab sapling that evolves into Baoboom, a hulking but rather cute-looking Fire/Grass-type baobob treant (loosely inspired by Jumbao, Smogon's latest Create-A-Pokemon)
  • Pillowhack, a Fairy/Fighting-type plushie that uses pillows as boxing gloves (inspired by Kerfluffle, Smogon's Fairy/Fighting-type pillow.)
  • Storchick, a Normal/Flying-type crane chick that evolves into Storkata, a Fighting/Flying-type martial artist crane
  • Jalapepper, a female-only Grass/Fire-type walking chili pepper that evolves into Habapepper, a Grass/Fire-type Steenee-like pepper girl, and later evolves into the flamenco dancing Grass/Fire-type Flamencabel
  • Dirigigong, a Poison/Steel-type manatee zeppelin filled with poisonous gases that propels itself with its own gas. (inspired by Bogleech's suggestion for a Steel/Flying blimp manatee)
  • Toxnout, a Poison/Fire-type elephant calf with a gas mask face that evolves into Toxodont, a Poison/Fire-type mammoth with a safety hood face (meaning it has two trunks); this idea was suggested to me by Cilantro.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite concepts from a Fakedex I've been working on are:
  • Atterkopf, a Bug-type black widow spider/Skulltula that only evolves into the Bug/Dark-type Sinisilk if it's female
  • Crickid, a Bug-type cricket that evolves into Locusatsu, which is a Bug/Fighting-type grasshopper based on Kamen Rider (and also my current avatar)
  • Fleazebag, a Bug/Poison-type flea that evolves into a Docsquito, a Bug/Poison-type plague doctor mosquito
  • Polarva, Chrysalice and Tundroth, a fluffy Bug/Ice-type moth line
  • Buoytle, a bulky Bug/Water-type diving beetle/rhino beetle hybrid
  • Armant, a Bug/Ground-type army ant that evolves into the explosive Commandant when it learns Self-Destruct
  • Baoby, a cute Grass/Fire-type baobab sapling that evolves into Baoboom, a hulking but rather cute-looking Fire/Grass-type baobob treant
  • Pillowhack, a Fairy/Fighting-type plushie that uses a pillow as a blunt instrument
  • Storchick, a Normal/Flying-type crane chick that evolves into Storkata, a Fighting/Flying-type martial artist crane
  • Jalapepper, a female-only Grass/Fire-type walking chili pepper that evolves into Habapepper, a Grass/Fire-type Steenee-like pepper girl, and later evolves into the flamenco dancing Grass/Fire-type Flamencabel
  • Dirigigong, a Poison/Steel-type manatee zeppelin filled with poisonous gases that propels itself with its own gas.
  • Toxnout, a Poison/Fire-type elephant calf with a gas mask face that evolves into Toxodont, a Poison/Fire-type mammoth with a safety hood face (meaning it has two trunks); this idea was suggested to me by Cilantro.
Lol all your ideas are so creative. All your bug ideas made me think of my own. It's a bug/ice scarab/dung beetle that rolls snow instead of dung. Credit to AC for the idea.

I had also made a mosquito Pokemon, but it was bug/dark. Your idea has a better concept (y)

Lol all your ideas are so creative. All your bug ideas made me think of my own. It's a bug/ice scarab/dung beetle that rolls snow instead of dung. Credit to AC for the idea.

I had also made a mosquito Pokemon, but it was bug/dark. Your idea has a better concept (y)
Thanks! Fleazebag and Docsquito are honestly just my way of coping with the lingering feelings of disappointment towards Spritzee and Aromatisse.
Docsquito.JPG

Here's an early draft of Docsquito; I'm going to request Cress to redraw it for me when my cooldown ends on the fourteenth of next month. I plan on using it as a Halloween avatar.
Locusatsu.png
Sinisilk.png

Cress already redrew Locusatsu (left) and Sinisilk (right) for me, and I'm incredibly happy with how both of them turned out.
Commandant.JPG
Buoytle.jpg

These bad bug boys are Commandant (left) and Buotyle (right).
Lunaurora.JPG

And this is Lunaurora, the most powerful Bug-type in the Yuzei region. Bug/Ice, obviously.

Last edited:
I now kinda wonder why this isn't a thing yet... I mean, it's not like we lack cold climates. And we're definitely lacking in the beetle department when it comes to bug types...

I'd love to see a regional bird which going a step further from Talonflame, loses its flying type in its final stage, and getting levitate or a flying variation of steelworker to compensate.

I'd love to see the irony of the regional bird losing its flying type.
My personal concept was a Fire/Electric bird based on lasers, which also gets its electric typing as an adaptation since it’s located in an urban region and has to sit on electric wires.

I'd love to see a regional bird which going a step further from Talonflame, loses its flying type in its final stage, and getting levitate or a flying variation of steelworker to compensate.

I'd love to see the irony of the regional bird losing its flying type.
My personal concept was a Fire/Electric bird based on lasers, which also gets its electric typing as an adaptation since it’s located in an urban region and has to sit on electric wires.
I love that idea. I mean, this almost feels like what Dodrio could have been, though then a flying-type version of Steelworker would be more appropriate.

What about a regional bird that starts small but grows bulkier and heavier upon evolution, finally losing its flying-type in its final stage, but gaining a flying-type version of Steelworker. It pretty much becomes too larger/heavy to fly. If the regional bird starts as normal/flying, it would probably end up being normal/ground, though with an ability that boosts flying-type moves and a bulky build, the weaknesses of the type combination shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Some regional variant concepts I’ve drawn:
I'd have loved to see an Ice/Psychic Alolan Noctowl based on snowy owls.
Noctowl- Alola Form!
noctowl__alola_form__by_varocks-dbolq39.png

This one's a different idea: a Dark/Poison Variant Cyndaquil which shows much more prominent hedgehog inspiration, and can roll up in a spiny ball to trigger Stance Change ability. It is incomplete though.
Regional Variant Cyndaquil Progress Sheet
regional_variant_cyndaquil_progress_sheet_by_varocks-db2u10b.png

One concept I'd like to see in the future is a Ghost/Flying regional variant of the Zubat line. Now, before you all go "Kanto has too much focus with regional variants as it is," let me explain myself.

The idea actually comes from a mistake in the Gold and Silver Prima guidebook I used to have (making the idea more Johto-inspired as opposed to Kanto-related), where it listed Silver's team as having a Zubat which was labeled as a Ghost/Flying dual type on that same page. To this day, that error has never left my head and the concept of regional variants introduced in Gen 7 made it resurface. Something about a phantom bat, or even a vampire bat, would be a pretty neat role to see everyone's biggest annoyance take on (which could mean that Woobat fills Zubat's usual role as it did in Gen 5).

If Game Freak views Zubat's annoying role as too iconic to change it like that, then the very least they could do is give Crobat a Mega Evolution with that Ghost/Flying type instead. Cut that poor evolutionary line a break, Game Freak!

Depending on the concept, I think a Ghost/Normal combination could work perfectly well. It definitely is an interesting combination, as it's only vulnerable to Dark, takes reduced damage from Poison and Bug, and is immune to Normal, Ghost, and Fighting type attacks. As the Ghost type has also repeatedly been shown not to be literal ghosts (though some dex entries do connect them to spirits, or even claim certain ghost types to be reincarnated spirits), I do think the combination is also perfectly feasible conceptually. Actually, there's a subspecies of black bear called kermode or spirit bear. Most of these bears have black fur, but some of them have white fur, and feature prominently in local folklore. I could definitely see a regional variant of Teddiursa/Ursaring based on this with a Normal/Ghost typing. And that's just one example
Your idea is very interesting. However, I personally would take a less straightforward approach to a Normal/Ghost variant of Teddiursa/Ursaring. My idea for such a variant with that typing would be the highly resilient Tardigrade (which are also known as Water Bears despite not being limited to aquatic environments) due to their ability to survive extreme conditions that would normally kill other organisms. It's almost like they aren't exactly "alive" in the traditional sense (hence being part Ghost).

Now that it think it over, my idea could work just as well (if not better due to having more creativity with the design) as its own Pokémon. In this regard, your idea for a regional variant for Teddiursa/Ursaring might actually be better than mine.

Psychic/Poison interests me the most due to the mind contamination aspect.
I think this Pokémon idea could actually work well as a (kid-friendly version of a) Lovecraftian Horror/Eldritch Abomination creature: it contains ideas so foreign/nonsensical that it could literally poison your mind! Or perhaps its chemicals grant you vast amounts of knowledge at the cost of losing the ability to communicate coherently with other beings.

You could honestly do a lot of interesting things with a Psychic/Poison typing due to the conflicting themes of the types themselves (knowledge, cosmic power, and purity for Psychic; pollution, adverse chemical reactions, and illness for Poison).

If Game Freak views Zubat's annoying role as too iconic to change it like that, then the very least they could do is give Crobat a Mega Evolution with that Ghost/Flying type instead. Cut that poor evolutionary line a break, Game Freak!
Ghost is my favourite type, so anything that gets it will automatically become my favourite. I'm not sure how they'd make a Mega for Crobat though, it looks kinda 'done'. So a regional variant for Crobat sounds a lot better. Plus, regional variants allow for new movesets.

Your idea is very interesting. However, I personally would take a less straightforward approach to a Normal/Ghost variant of Teddiursa/Ursaring. My idea for such a variant with that typing would be the highly resilient Tardigrade (which are also known as Water Bears despite not being limited to aquatic environments) due to their ability to survive extreme conditions that would normally kill other organisms. It's almost like they aren't exactly "alive" in the traditional sense (hence being part Ghost).

Now that it think it over, my idea could work just as well (if not better due to having more creativity with the design) as its own Pokémon. In this regard, your idea for a regional variant for Teddiursa/Ursaring might actually be better than mine.
As I was reading, that was actually exactly what I thought. Tardigrades would make a great base for a ghost/normal or ghost/water type. Thinking about it, it kinda surprises me tere isn't a Pokemon based on it yet. You definitely could do a lot of interesting things with the concept, especially with an ability that would remove weaknesses or something (an ability seems the best way to incorporate its real life counterpart's resilience).

I think this Pokémon idea could actually work well as a (kid-friendly version of a) Lovecraftian Horror/Eldritch Abomination creature: it contains ideas so foreign/nonsensical that it could literally poison your mind! Or perhaps its chemicals grant you vast amounts of knowledge at the cost of losing the ability to communicate coherently with other beings.

You could honestly do a lot of interesting things with a Psychic/Poison typing due to the conflicting themes of the types themselves (knowledge, cosmic power, and purity for Psychic; pollution, adverse chemical reactions, and illness for Poison).
You had me at eldritch horror

A Psychic/Poison typing due to the conflicting themes of the types themselves (knowledge, cosmic power, and purity for Psychic; pollution, adverse chemical reactions, and illness for Poison).

Mind altering drugs were the first thing that came to mind. Perhaps it can be a personification of hallucinogens? Like a hallucinogenic mushroom or something along those lines?

Depending on the concept, I think a Ghost/Normal combination could work perfectly well. It definitely is an interesting combination, as it's only vulnerable to Dark, takes reduced damage from Poison and Bug, and is immune to Normal, Ghost, and Fighting type attacks. As the Ghost type has also repeatedly been shown not to be literal ghosts (though some dex entries do connect them to spirits, or even claim certain ghost types to be reincarnated spirits), I do think the combination is also perfectly feasible conceptually. Actually, there's a subspecies of black bear called kermode or spirit bear. Most of these bears have black fur, but some of them have white fur, and feature prominently in local folklore. I could definitely see a regional variant of Teddiursa/Ursaring based on this with a Normal/Ghost typing. And that's just one example

I like both of these ideas. How would y'all feel if they made ultra beasts like these?

I'd like to see an Electric/Dark combination sometime in the future. It's rather surprising that they haven't made a Pokemon with that typing yet, as it really seems like an interesting idea.

I'd like to see an Electric/Dark combination sometime in the future. It's rather surprising that they haven't made a Pokemon with that typing yet, as it really seems like an interesting idea.
The first thing that comes to mind with that typing is a Pikaclone based on the Jersey Devil.

Normal/Ghost type based on Schrödinger's cat.

It’d be simultaneously alive(normal) and dead(ghost)!

^This.

I would also love to see more ideas with the Fighting/Steel, Fighting/Ghost, and Steel/Ghost combinations. I know that none of them are technically "unique" as they have been done before (Lucario/Cobalion, Marshadow, and the Honedge line, respectively), but they are pretty rare and I think there are some cool ideas that could be done with them. Fighting/Steel could be a Pokémon based on a Knight or something, kind of like a more noble parallel to Bisharp. Or Fighting/Ghost could be a fallen warrior of the kind that appear in some different myths, maybe based on the einherjar of Nordic mythology. Or maybe based on like the headless horseman. It could be done it such a way as to fit thematically with Pumpkaboo and Phantum, maybe being found near a town based on Sleepy Hollow or something. Finally, a Steel/Ghost that could be like a possessed suit of armor or something to connect to the lore of the Honedge family. Honedge being a cursed/possessed blade, the armor could be the cursed armor of a dishonored knight who fell in battle or something.

I would also love to see more ideas with the Fighting/Steel, Fighting/Ghost, and Steel/Ghost combinations. I know that none of them are technically "unique" as they have been done before (Lucario/Cobalion, Marshadow, and the Honedge line, respectively), but they are pretty rare and I think there are some cool ideas that could be done with them. Fighting/Steel could be a Pokémon based on a Knight or something, kind of like a more noble parallel to Bisharp. Or Fighting/Ghost could be a fallen warrior of the kind that appear in some different myths, maybe based on the einherjar of Nordic mythology. Or maybe based on like the headless horseman. It could be done it such a way as to fit thematically with Pumpkaboo and Phantum, maybe being found near a town based on Sleepy Hollow or something. Finally, a Steel/Ghost that could be like a possessed suit of armor or something to connect to the lore of the Honedge family. Honedge being a cursed/possessed blade, the armor could be the cursed armor of a dishonored knight who fell in battle or something.

All of these. I refrained from adding them, but these combinations would be great additions. Not to mention that Marshadow is not exactly readily available...

It wouldn't surprise me to see some variation of these concepts in the future, although it probably will depend on what country/area the next region will be based on (if it ends up being a place in Western Europe I could absolutely see a knight-like pokemon and a possessed armor pokemon)

I'm in favor of the Grass/Fire type, maybe a Hot Pepper Pokemon. #HPG

Can we have a blind Pokemon preferably Dark/Electric?

There's a lot of things I'd love to see
First, combinations that have been used once on forms/megas/legendaries that deserve to be reused
Electric/Fire
Electric/Grass
Electric/Ice
Electric/Dragon
Ghost/Fairy-this is the one i desperately one. Mimikyu was disappointing for me.
Ghost/Dragon
Grass/Dragon
most of these belong to legendaries or worse megas, can I feel they can be used for other more interesting concepts.

Then unused combinations that I think could be used for cool mons
Ground/Fighting
Poison/Electric
Poison/Psychic
Dark/Fairy
Fire/Fairy
Grass/Fire
Ice/Fire

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom