• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that the first live-action Pokemon film is based on that tacky little Pikachu game is laughable to me.
I've actually seen a lot of people who have played the game giving it high praises. And I agree with those people. The mysteries may not be overly difficult to solve, but the story is engaging, the characters are well-written, and the environments feel like very nice mixes of realistic places and the Pokémon world.

Neo Blaze said:
Most big budget, wide-release films don't have a trailer for their movie this early in advance.

Maybe, but we should at least have promotional artwork or character models or *something* more than we have now. It's crazy to me that we're like nine months away from this movie debuting and yet none of us knows what the titular character looks like.

(also, Detective Pikachu is "big budget"? What kind of budget are we talking about here?)

Maybe, but we should at least have promotional artwork or character models or *something* more than we have now. It's crazy to me that we're like nine months away from this movie debuting and yet none of us knows what the titular character looks like.

(also, Detective Pikachu is "big budget"? What kind of budget are we talking about here?)
This isn't honestly anything new. Even when it comes to promotional artwork or character models, a lot of film studios don't usually release anything this early in advance.

The budget isn't known yet, but it's most definitely big budget. It's a Hollywood production. Of course, there's massive differences between the budgets of one Hollywood film to another, but compared to non-Hollywood films the budget will be huge. It is also not unusal with film fans to refer to Hollywood films as "big-budget films".

With all the CGI going into the Pokemon and their powers, it'll likely cost a pretty penny. Though it depends on how many Pokemon there are.
Especially if there are a bunch of different Pokemon in crowd scenes like in the Show, Movies, and Mangas...:cautious:

Last edited:
I'm kind of really worried/skeptical about this, and yet, somewhat interested at the same time here- how this turns out really depends on the execution of it and how it's written, handled, and so on. Given the past history of various other live-action style Movies, like Dragonball Evolution or The Last Airbender though, I'm keeping my expectations low so I'm not let down too much if the Detective Pikachu Movie doesn't turn out too well.

Alex Hirsch (of "Gravity Falls" fame) being involved is something that piques my interest, but at the same time, means nothing if the production isn't good at the same time- hoping for the best but thus far I'm keeping my guard up, so to speak.

I'm wondering how will this affect the anime. We usually get some sort of cross-promotion for the movies. Will we see Rita Ora on the ending theme?

The Pokemon Detective Pikachu Movie Will Feature “Photorealistic” Pokemon | My Nintendo News

So they're somehow going to make the main mascot and all other Pokemon look like horrifying CG looking abominations just like everyone of these damn family friendly CG-live action hybrid films just because they want to make them look "real" and "animal-like"?

Sorry Legendary but
yikes-from-me-dog-30021095.png

It worked for Paddington but it sure as hell ain't workin for this.

The Pokemon Detective Pikachu Movie Will Feature “Photorealistic” Pokemon | My Nintendo News

So they're somehow going to make the main mascot and all other Pokemon look like horrifying CG looking abominations just like everyone of these damn family friendly CG-live action hybrid films just because they want to make them look "real" and "animal-like"?

:eek:

I think I speak for a lot of PokeFans when I say I DON'T want this to look like the MCU, Harry Potter or Live Action Disney.
I WANT IT TOO LOOK LIKE POKEMON!!:mad:

Oh, this should be interesting...:cautious:

The sad part is that the casual movie goers will likely just eat it up.
Curse you Pokemon GO, and what you've done to this franchise...:(

Sorry Legendary but

This will suck! Just like how Winnie the Pooh is animated now!

Sorry Legendary but

Yeah. I heard about this too. I personally am feeling more than iffy about this. I easily prefer a bit cartoonistic Pokémon over realistic ones any day. Let's see how this'll turn out.

Yeah. I heard about this too. I personally am feeling more than iffy about this. I easily prefer a bit cartoonistic Pokémon over realistic ones any day. Let's see how this'll turn out.
Lol why I have the feeling the most of the fans wont like the movie? And it will suck in ratings?

This will suck! Just like how Winnie the Pooh is animated now!
At least with that Christopher Robin film, it at least made sense for them to look like old plush toys and they actually looked pretty good.

But whereas here, I’m sorry but they don’t have an excuse to back this whole photorealistic crap up.

I mean, we already kind of knew they were going the realistic route?

nightmare_fuel.png

Also, the movie is set to come out like the week after Avengers 4 because apparently the studio thinks it's a good idea to even put this anywhere near a movie that will absolutely trounce it at the box office...?
Brr Those posters already look bad, so what with the other pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom