• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Abilities Pokémon should get

RK9

Reaction score
So what are abilities of which you think "How come mon X doesn't get this?"

I myself think that Weavile should really get Technician. It's a small, fast and frail 'lil bugger like many other Technician users and enough moves to take advantage of it. Suits it more than Pressure.

A different one is Milotic with Multiscale. I mean, it's literally a scaly serpentine fish. How can you not not give it Multiscale?

How about you guys?

Kanto Raichu's Pokedex entries revolve around how it plants it’s tail on the ground and discharged electricity, and using its tail to gain electricity from the atmosphere, so it can be a good candidate for the Electric Surge ability.

It could also act as a nod to Alolan Raichu, with Kanto Raichu being able to set up electric terrain and Alolan version doubling its speed from it.

Not to mention those sweet electric-terrain boosted Volt Tackles...

Last edited:
Prankster Gengar. Not only does this suit its personality and give priority to disruptive status moves like Disable, Taunt, and even Destiny Bond, but Gengar's one reason for not getting a Hidden Ability in Generations V and VI was because it had just Levitate (among the 38 Pokémon who have this as their single ability, the only one to get a HA was Duskull, who doesn't keep Levitate upon evolution anyway). There's no real excuse why it shouldn't have one today and I fully expect that to be fixed in Gen VIII. This oddity makes the ability switch look like a rushed decision.

With another ability slot still empty after this, I would also give it something like Infiltrator because it feels like that should be pretty standard fare for a Pokémon who pretends to be your shadow. Piercing through Substitute and Light Screen would certainly benefit a specially offensive creature like Gengar too, as it has no time for specific shenanigans such as Uproar and Brick Break.

Basically, I want things that cater towards Gengar's strengths, because Cursed Body definitely doesn't do this.

Torterra should’ve got Sand Rush or Sand Force instead.

They simply outclass Shell Armor in terms of usage and could help Torterra be an effective counter against Pokémon that set up Sandstorm (since they tend to be mostly ground or rock type and Torterra can hit them super effectively with its grass moves while using their sandstorm to its advantage).

There seems to be unspoken rule that Pokemon that has Levitate shouldn't have any other ability (the only Pokemon to have both Levitate and another ability are Duskull, Bronzor and Bronzong) - if it weren't for this however, I'd say Koffing and Weezing should have Liquid Ooze (or possibly differently named ability that works the same way, like Insomnia and Vital Spirit). They're basically balloons filled with toxic gases - not only isn't there much to suck away from them with draining moves, but by trying to do so anyway one would risk inhaling some really nasty stuff.
On the matter of Liquid Ooze - this ability is really underused, being exclusive to only two evolutionary lines (Tentacool/Tentacruel and Gulpin/Swalot), when there are many Pokemon that should or could logicaly have it. Trubbish and Garbodor (it would be far more logical Hidden Ability for them than Aftermath), Umbreon (the whole "poisonous sweat" thing), Toxicroak and Croagunk (what is exactly the reason they have Dry Skin? They're amphibians. Any amphibian with dry skin is most probably seriously ill. Where Aftermath for Trubbish makes at least some sense, Dry Skin for those two is just complete nonsense), the list goes on.

I've said this long ago, but Herdier and Stoutland really should get Fur Coat now that it exists. I mean, a lot of their dex data says that their fur cushions blows, and that's exactly what Fur Coat does (albeit it only cushions physical damage). Plus, given the fact that the line's only weakness is Fighting (which is primarily a physical type), Fur Coat could really give the line even more bite to their bark. After all, they're one of the few early route Mons that can still carry their weight later in the game, so it would be nice for them to have a useful ability like Fur Coat.

Flareon, one of the more underrated and underused Eeveelutions needs a better ability. All it can be currently used for is Toxic Orb shenanigans.

But I don’t have any idea on what to give it without making it too overpowered among the Eeveelutions. Maybe speed boost? It has the posture to increase its speed every turn.

Flareon, one of the more underrated and underused Eeveelutions needs a better ability. All it can be currently used for is Toxic Orb shenanigans.

But I don’t have any idea on what to give it without making it too overpowered among the Eeveelutions. Maybe speed boost? It has the posture to increase its speed every turn.

For Eeveelutions (which are too unbalanced), I think Flareon should get Blaze as secondary ability, given Eevee being a former starter Pokémon (if you count him as one). If that's the case, Vaporeon should get Torrent and Jolteon could get Static or Lightningrod.

But since Hau in both Gen 7 core games used Leafeon instead of Jolteon if you pick Popplio line as starter, Leafeon can have Overgrow ability to match Torrent for Vaporeon and Blaze for Flareon. But if it's true, Glaceon can have Refrigerate.

Not sure about Espeon, Umbreon and Sylveon, but I am figuring about better ones for Umbreon, since Sylveon got Pixilate which can turn Normal moves into Fairy attacks.

That's not really balanced-the "in a pinch" abilities only kick in when the Pokemon is low on HP, and they only power up one type of move that the Pokemon already gets STAB on. Meanwhile, Static has a constant chance to cause paralysis, Lightning Rod can boost Special Attack for the rest of the battle, and Pixilate and Refrigerate add STAB to Normal-type moves and get an additional boost.

Personally, I'd like to see every Eeveelution have an ability like Pixilate that corresponds with their type. (It'd play on how they evolved from a Normal-type) It'd help Flareon a good deal, too, since it has some stronger Normal-type physical moves.

That's not really balanced-the "in a pinch" abilities only kick in when the Pokemon is low on HP, and they only power up one type of move that the Pokemon already gets STAB on. Meanwhile, Static has a constant chance to cause paralysis, Lightning Rod can boost Special Attack for the rest of the battle, and Pixilate and Refrigerate add STAB to Normal-type moves and get an additional boost.

Personally, I'd like to see every Eeveelution have an ability like Pixilate that corresponds with their type. (It'd play on how they evolved from a Normal-type) It'd help Flareon a good deal, too, since it has some stronger Normal-type physical moves.
It's too bad they wasted the term "incinerate" on a dumb move. That would've been the perfect name for the fire version of this ability XD

Oh, but the electric one is "galvanize," isn't it? That doesn't even have "ate" in is, so I guess that's irrelevant (although Normalize is a thing, too, and the original at that, in a way).

It could use boosted Double Edge attacks, which would be more powerful than Flare Blitz.

I like the idea of the Eeveelutions getting -ate Abilities whenever possible.
Either Flareon or Leafeon could need Desolate Land (if you could mean -ate Abilities), which can nullify Water-type attacks to certain extent. It is Primal Groudon's singature ability unless Game Freak wants to change their minds.

Alternatively, both could need Drought or Fur Coat.

When they say "-ate" abilities, they're referring to abilities that change the type of Normal-type moves (like Refrigerate, Pixilate, and Aerilate), not just abilities that have the letters "ate" in them. Desolate Land is way, way too OP for a non-legendary Pokemon-it completely nullifies Water-type moves, not just "to an extent", and it's a weather effect that will totally block any other weather effects besides Primordial Sea, and without a turn limit.

Drought could be good for Flareon, but not at all for Leafeon-boosting a common weakness to it is not at all worth being able to use Solar Beam in one turn when it has such a low Special Attack. Similarly, I could see Flareon getting Fur Coat, and it could be useful, seeing as Defense is its lowest stat, but Leafeon has no visible fur on its body, and its Defense is its highest stat-I don't think it needs it that badly.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom