• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can still see third versions being made, especially considering the backlash against USUM did not affect its sales, with them selling over 7 million copies as of last June. For comparison, Emerald only sold 6.32 million copies, Platinum sold 7.06 million, and BW2 have sold 7.81 million copies. USUM is on track to become the best selling third game ever.
1. Those games do not cost $60, and the console audience will most likely not appreciate a rehashed game.
2. Switch is confirmed to have Pokemon DLC, so it’ll be probably used for third version purposes. A $20 Episode that many people will buy is ultimately more profitable than a $60 game that will sell less,

Also, the Switch already has a remake, that being LGPE.
It’s clearly not a traditional remake, to the point that some do not even consider it main series,

It doesn't need to exist if it isn't intended to be a version mascot.
Third legendaries work very well to expand the lore of the previous pkmns imo. And that very nature would make them very compatible with dlcs. Not only that, they would also be able to prevent players from knowing about them beforehand since they would be absent from the base game. I am not that fond of dlc in a pkmn game. But handled well, it has potential.

Are you seriously comparing something like LGPE, no disrespect intended, to an actual remake? I fail to see how LGPE presence stops them from remaking a Sinnoh game. Also why is it that you feel we wont see a Sinnoh remake? I can't see any viable reason for them not to release one.
Also considering games are 60$ now, I feel 3rd versions wont exist and if they do, they'll be sequels with many new areas to explore at the very least.
I think of any game that revisits an old region as a remake. I count LGPE as main series, and so does GF. I also heard that LGPE could spawn its own subseries.

Because, in my opinion, Gen 2 is the least accessible generation to new players.

Crystal VC was released on 3DS VC earlier this year.

If we're talking about just physical versions, then Sinnoh is the least accessible with Johto being the second least accessible in terms of release order. Kanto is already getting its time to shine this year, so Sinnoh should be next, then we can get a Let's Go Johto after it.

It doesn’t make sense to release two Let's Go games on the same console. Their sole purpose is to get new people hooked to Pokémon, and 1 Let's Go game per console achieves the purpose much better.
They outright said that if LGPE is successful, it could spawn its own subseries of games.
Actually they’re both equally inaccessible to new players, with HGSS and DPPt being in the same generation. Not to mention Johto has 5 games while Sinnoh only has its introductory games.
Well, in terms of accessibility, Johto is more inaccessible. The batteries on most (if not all) GSC cartridges are dead, and HGSS is very expensive. Used copies go for up to hundreds of dollars on online retail sites like Ebay and Amazon. DPPt used copies go for much less, meaning that new players would be more inclined to buy DPPt over HGSS because they're cheaper. As for the VC releases, you need EShop money, and only some stores stock EShop cards.

As for the VC releases, you need EShop money, and only some stores stock EShop gift cards.

I don’t know if you’re intentionally ignoring things to favour your Generation 2 bias...
Nintendo eShop Gift Cards - Official Site - Buy Codes Online

You can buy them online.

DPPt is no more scarce or cheap than HGSS (seriously, isn’t DPPt older?), you also cannot buy them on 3DS when GSC can be conveniently bought with a 3DS.
Getting them is clearly easier.

Also, there's a bad issue involving timing. 2020 will most likely be a gap year, and 2021 is the 25th anniversary of the franchise. I highly doubt that they would release five or six games in a row, and I highly doubt that they would release Sinnoh remakes for the 25th anniversary.

Also, there's a bad issue involving timing. 2020 will most likely be a gap year, and 2021 is the 25th anniversary of the franchise. I highly doubt that they would release five or six games in a row, and I highly doubt that they would release Sinnoh remakes for the 25th anniversary.
It happens to be the 15th anniversary of Diamond and Pearl.

EDIT: and your claim of HGSS being harder to get than DPPt on Amazon is false. Both HG and SS are available for around 60$ and 50$ respectively (limited editions too!), Diamond and Pearl are nowhere to be found with Platinum costing $60.

But still, they wouldn't release a remake for the 25th anniversary of the franchise. There's a reason why they they chose to release Sun & Moon and not Z for the franchise's 20th anniversary.

At this rate all Pokemon will do is celebrate anniversaries: the 20th Anniversary has been celebrated for 2 years now with various nods to Kanto. And then we’re going to another anniversary season?

It’ll be much more convenient to celebrate the anniversary of Diamond and Pearl.
You’re also forgetting that:
1. it’ll leave Generation 8 with one game only.
2. The development of new Generations is intensive, and they’ve already gone through a hectic period for LGPE and Generation 8. Rushing into Generation 9 just after 8 is not the most feasible step for them. They need a buffer (and a less intensive game like Remakes) to keep things stable.

At this rate all Pokemon will do is celebrate anniversaries: the 20th Anniversary has been celebrated for 2 years now with various nods to Kanto. And then we’re going to another anniversary season?

It’ll be much more convenient to celebrate the anniversary of Diamond and Pearl.
You’re also forgetting that:
1. it’ll leave Generation 8 with one game only.
2. The development of new Generations is intensive, and they’ve already gone through a hectic period for LGPE and Generation 8. Rushing into Generation 9 just after 8 is not the most feasible step for them. They need a buffer (and a less intensive game like Remakes) to keep things stable.
The Gen 4 Pokemon (aside from Lucario) don't have the star power that the Gen 1 Pokemon and new Pokemon have. It would be underwhelming to release a remake when the franchise is celebrating its 25th anniversary.

The Gen 4 Pokemon (aside from Lucario) don't have the star power that the Gen 1 Pokemon and new Pokemon have. It would be underwhelming to release a remake when the franchise is celebrating its 25th anniversary.

You addressed zero of the concerns I presented in my post.

Aside from that Pokemon has already been in celebration mode for 2 years and GameFreak's size cannot bear 2 Generations in a row. It’s also going to overwhelm the fanbase (specially the LGPE one whom they’re desperately trying to get into the series. Bombarding them with new mechanics of 2 New Generations + the previous ones which they omitted in LGPE will turn them off the series.

Generation 9 directly after 8 isn’t feasible, at all.

It’s not as if they need to show grandeur again after the big show of the 20th anniversary. And they’re not going to face consequences for it since Pokemon will sell no matter what.

I think that the 2021 games are bound to be underwhelming either way, since another new generation would be incredibly rushed, and after ORAS, USUM and LGPE there is really not much to expect from iterative releases. There never really was beyond obvious upgrades, honestly.

Ambrose7 said:
Third legendaries work very well to expand the lore of the previous pkmns imo. And that very nature would make them very compatible with dlcs.
Not if they're previously obtainable, as that would make it tricky to incorporate them into a new story. They might as well be mythicals at that point.

Johto is actually very accessible if you include digital versions, as Gold, Silver and Crystal are all available through the 3DS eShop, while Sinnoh isn't very accessible anymore, most, if not all copies are used at this point, making it hard for newer players to start an adventure. Plus, so many people have the 3DS thanks to its lifespan being a whopping 8 years by 2019, not to mention, it would be impossible to put DS games on the Switch unless it's a reworked port or a remake, making DS games appearing on Switch's classic games lineup extremely slim or even impossible, while both Gen 1 and Gen 2 can be put on the Switch no problem. This is part of the reason why LGPE was made for the Switch and not the 3DS because Kanto was already available for the 3DS.

Well, Nintendo could just not release Diamond & Pearl remakes ever. They have broken patterns and subverted expectations before. We actually expected a Grey Version and not Black and White 2. We were left without a Z version. And since everyone's expecting Gen IV remakes, it's up to Nintendo whether they should release them or not. Because after the Sinnoh remakes, people will be expecting remakes of Black and White. And then remakes of X and Y. And then remakes of Sun and Moon. And then remakes of the upcoming Generation 8 games. When will the remake expectations end? Will Generation 10 be remade in Generation 20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom