• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the remake route would be a lot better. I mean, I guess we would want to relive the plot events from Sinnoh on the Switch and not have Gym Leaders changed around. When you went to Kanto in GSC/HGSS there was a lack of Team Rocket (only one grunt was there to steal a machine part). You start in Vermillion City instead of Pallet Town. You don't choose between Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle until you beat Red in HGSS. In GSC, you don't get those starters at all. So I guess, when we want to go back to Sinnoh, we don't want to just revisit areas like Mt. Coronet or Jubilife City. We want to relive the experience from Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. So yeah, remake games would be a better idea than a Sinnoh DLC pack. Besides, we should be able to save up some storage memory when it's on a separate game card.

I see it the total opposite way, I love the approach the Johto games take to the Kanto region. It feels realistic, in the way that, we all have gone through so many Pokemon journeys, yet everytime "we" start a new one, we're treated like beginners or novices, in HGSS, when you arrive in Kanto, you're taking your Johto Champion title and team with you, it's got a different feel to it, I like how you start by getting off a boat in Vermillion. I wouldn't mind if they took the DLC route for some games. For example, for LGPE, I could totally see them doing a reverse of the Johto games, and instead making Johto the region that's accessible after Kanto. In fact, LGPE is actually setup perfectly to be given DLC, I mean think about it, only the first 151 Pokemon are even in the game besides Meltan, what if with Johto comes the Johto portion of the National Dex, for let's say, $20, and so on?

As much as I'd love to see that, I doubt it'll happen though, it's easier for them to sell a $60 game than a $20 DLC pack.

For example, for LGPE, I could totally see them doing a reverse of the Johto games, and instead making Johto the region that's accessible after Kanto. In fact, LGPE is actually setup perfectly to be given DLC, I mean think about it, only the first 151 Pokemon are even in the game besides Meltan, what if with Johto comes the Johto portion of the National Dex, for let's say, $20, and so on?

It’s also unlikely since GameFreak has said that the map is going to be mostly identical to Yellow for familiarity.

Personally, I'd rather just make a one-time purchase for a complete game instead of having to periodically shill out more money for various additional stories or species. DLC in general isn't a model I like nor one I would support; I think using it excessively devalues the original game.

This is the kind of image I don't want to see in the main Pokémon series:
games-now-and-then-burgers-original-game-expansion-pack-dlc-content.jpg

Personally, I'd rather just make a one-time purchase for a complete game instead of having to periodically shill out more money for various additional stories or species. DLC in general isn't a model I like nor one I would support; I think using it excessively devalues the original game.

To be fair, games like these are criticized a lot. *Cough* EA *Cough*. There are ways to implement DLC in a good way. It just has to be a scenario separate from the main game. Take the Witcher 3's expansions for examples of dlcs done right.

Yeah, that would be terrible if everything was DLC for a $40 dollar game. Before Smash Ultimate was revealed to have every veteran in the base game, someone theorized that the roster would be cut to 30 characters and everyone else would get in through DLC. How dumb would that have been to cut the roster in half and only get the other half back through DLC? Sure glad Sakurai decided to include everyone in the base game for Ultimate before picking a few newcomers for DLC. So half the game for DLC? Not very good because the data that's not on a disc or card takes up the console's memory. And we gotta be able to save up our memory. A whole region would take up a lot of data. So it's best to put the Sinnoh region in a separate game.

Yeah, that would be terrible if everything was DLC for a $40 dollar game. Before Smash Ultimate was revealed to have every veteran in the base game, someone theorized that the roster would be cut to 30 characters and everyone else would get in through DLC. How dumb would that have been to cut the roster in half and only get the other half back through DLC? Sure glad Sakurai decided to include everyone in the base game for Ultimate before picking a few newcomers for DLC. So half the game for DLC? Not very good because the data that's not on a disc or card takes up the console's memory. And we gotta be able to save up our memory. A whole region would take up a lot of data. So it's best to put the Sinnoh region in a separate game.
Yeah. Sinnoh wouldn't work as DLC.

In my honest opinion, if there was a Generation IV remake, there should be more content, such as the "Delta Episode" in Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire. And even though personally I didn't like Generation IV (it was too hard), I am prepared to try it again if it is on the Nintendo Switch with additional content like a post-League story and additional Pokemon (like in Generation VII).

I am all for additional postgame story plots like the Delta Episode,which was nice, but honestly I don't think it adds that much postgame content. It's just a bunch of postgame dialogue and battles that you do once and that's it. It can't compare to proper replayable stuff, like a BF or a PWT.

I have nothing against Game Freak actually adding both a Battle Facility and a postgame story "Episode". I just don't want them to do what they did with ORAS, which is to replace a Battle Facility with a volatile one time only Episode, and use it as an excuse: "Yeah, there is no Battle Frontier, but we now have this awesome new story Episode for you!"

That doesn't work for me. Yet I think it is likely they will do it again.

Last edited:
If Giratina becomes excluded from the main story, then I prefer if the remakes have a post game story revolving him and Arceus. I couldn't care less for a battle facility that doesn't allow legendaries to be used, excluding Pokemon just because of their status doesn't seem right to me.

If Giratina becomes excluded from the main story, then I prefer if the remakes have a post game story revolving him and Arceus. I couldn't care less for a battle facility that doesn't allow legendaries to be used, excluding Pokemon just because of their status doesn't seem right to me.

That exclusion is probably because of people like me, who'd field a team of five Mewtwos and a Magikarp, name the entire team Magikarp, and lead with the Magikarp.

I hope they make a few things less annoying, like the caves where Gible were found (I still have PTSD trying to go through the struggle to get Gible and earthquake), and the Distortion world puzzle, maybe even expand the Distortion world.

I'm guessing they’ll make Cynthia accompany us throughout the entire Distortion world puzzle so that it isn’t complex for children.

I hope they make a few things less annoying, like the caves where Gible were found (I still have PTSD trying to go through the struggle to get Gible and earthquake), and the Distortion world puzzle, maybe even expand the Distortion world.
They did fix the Gible cave issue in Platinum. The Strength boulder that was there in DP was removed, allowing players to get Gible and the Earthquake TM as early as after the second gym.

They did fix the Gible cave issue in Platinum. The Strength boulder that was there in DP was removed, allowing players to get Gible and the Earthquake TM as early as after the second gym.

Actually this anectode was from the Platinum version.
What made the experience bad for me was looking at guides to get though the first portion of the cave and then trying to access the hidden portion with the Gible and Earthquake (all the while repels running out again and again). Not to mention me not running into Gible when I went through the entire mess and when I did, I was down to my last Pokeball.

The fact that it was my first main series experience probably didn’t help.

Didn’t know it was even more convoluted in D/P.

Actually this anectode was from the Platinum version.
What made the experience bad for me was looking at guides to get though the first portion of the cave and then trying to access the hidden portion with the Gible and Earthquake (all the while repels running out again and again). Not to mention me not running into Gible when I went through the entire mess and when I did, I was down to my last Pokeball.

The fact that it was my first main series experience probably didn’t help.

Didn’t know it was even more convoluted in D/P.
The Gible thing didn't bother me that much, although the tag team quest in the other section of Wayward cave was very confusing. That said, I feel some of these tedious parts should remain. Dp had some tedious areas like this, Mt Coronet and the snow route and it wouldn't be same without it. Especially so because Gamefreak doesn't know how to slightly tone down the difficulty. If they change it, they'll likely make it extremely easy and it would be very disappointing. Just my opinion though.

The Gible thing didn't bother me that much, although the tag team quest in the other section of Wayward cave was very confusing. That said, I feel some of these tedious parts should remain. Dp had some tedious areas like this, Mt Coronet and the snow route and it wouldn't be same without it. Especially so because Gamefreak doesn't know how to slightly tone down the difficulty. If they change it, they'll likely make it extremely easy and it would be very disappointing. Just my opinion though.

That entire Wayward quest was tedious for me. I just went though the entire thing out of the sheer desperation of getting a Garchomp.

I do think some tedious parts should remain since Pokeride will make them more enjoyable now.

Some areas are bound to get nerfed though since I’ve seen it said around the Internet that children ended up getting lost in DPPt and that’s what kicked off the linearity trend.

I just hope they don´t change anything about Cynthia´s strength. Oh, and that they don´t make the snow routes tedious to go through. Made me quit the game multiple times after my first ever playthrough.

That said, I do hope that they do something like the Delta Episode, but then with Arceus and Giratina. Explain their history together and the events that unfolded to Giratina getting banned to the Distortion World.

That entire Wayward quest was tedious for me. I just went though the entire thing out of the sheer desperation of getting a Garchomp.

I do think some tedious parts should remain since Pokeride will make them more enjoyable now.

Some areas are bound to get nerfed though since I’ve seen it said around the Internet that children ended up getting lost in DPPt and that’s what kicked off the linearity trend.
In Platinum you could get a Gabite in Victory Road. Though by then it would be late.

This would be a good opportunity to add a dungeon map app for the Pokétch. It'd function a bit like Zelda's dungeon maps in that you can view multiple floors and fills out as the player explores it. Though knowing Gamefreak and Rotomdex's lack of dungeon/building maps, I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Last edited:
One thing they could do for a Diamond and Pearl remake would be that would make it better is to keep the obstacles down once you took them out, especially when some jerk thought it was a good idea to place Cut trees right in front of Team Galactic's HQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom