• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Official Travelog + Let's Play Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
been playing Crystal for a few minutes before bed each night. For some reason I decided I wanted to complete the pokedex in this game, despite it not really getting me anything (I completed the dex in X, Y, OR, Sun, and Ultra Moon so I'm pretty sure I have everything). To this end I have another copy of Crystal so I could trade in the other starters.

Currently I made the mistake of levelling in Ilex Forest and emerging from there with a mostly dead team, not expecting an entire route ahead of me before the next town. The cop right outside of Goldenrod murdered most of my party with his one single lonely Growlithe, and then the very last trainer took out my second-to-last pokemon and I survived the encounter with 14HP left on my last mon. Now I'm all healed up and levelling on that route in preparation for Whitney. I don't remember my levels; I think everyone is 14 except Cyndaquil, who is like 20 or something. My team is: Malestar the Cyndaquil, Pear the Chikorita, Noemi the Wooper, Berry the Gastly (Berry and Pear nicknamed courtesy of @noworry ^^;; ), Luna the Teddiursa, and Elepan the Phanpy. (no I don't know why I named him basically "Elephant Bread")

I'm playing through HeartGold, and I've just arrived in Cianwood. My team is complete now, which is making leveling everyone up equally a minor challenge, but I'll manage. I've also been to Mahogany already, so that I can fly there as soon as possible. As soon as I've beaten Eusine, I'll take on Chuck, whom I have pretty good confidence against.

My current team:
* Quilava (level 24)
* Crobat (level 24)
* Flaaffy (level 24)
* Nidoking (level 24)
* Espeon (level 24)
* Lapras (level 24)

I had to adjust the clock a bit to be able to get my final team member, Lapras, but it was more than worth it. As was the time it took me to get all the TMs to power up my team from the Game Corner, including Flamethrower for Quilava, Thunderbolt for Flaaffy, and Ice Beam and Thunderbolt for Lapras. I also made sure to evolve my Eevee before level 15 in order for it to still be capable of learning Confusion when it became an Espeon and making the wait for Psybeam way more tolerable.

I recently did the Seafloor Cave, beat Wallace, and have been training for the Pokemon League!

• Leviathan (Relicanth) - lvl. 50
  • Ixion (Manectric) - lvl. 47
  • Lorelai (Gardevoir) - lvl. 54
  • Feng-Tian (Shiftry) - lvl. 52
  • Ken (Blaziken) - lvl. 51
  • Wyvern (Flygon) - lvl. 55

My HeartGold playthrough has advanced to rhe point where everything goes pretty smoothly. I recently beat Chuck for my fifth Badge and also gaining access to Fly, which made backtracking and rechecking past locations a breeze. While I technically could challenge Jasmine right away, I'm instead now heading to Lake of Rage to catch the Red Gyarados, after which I'll clear the Rocket HQ before challenging Pryce. Yeah. I'm going to battle Pryce before Jasmine, just because I can, and the level difference in between them isn't that big.

My team right now:

* Quilava (level 27)
* Crobat (level 27)
* Flaaffy (level 27)
* Nidoking (level 27)
* Espeon (level 27)
* Lapras (level 27)

Continuing my SoulSilver run (as I STILL haven't found my missing UltraSun), I've since defeated Chuck, Jasmine, and Pryce. I've also been spending time searching for teammates with good synergy and I think I may have finally found them (though I'm having my usual Water Mon conundrum, as most of the options available don't quite fit with my current setup, so I might head for the Whirl Islands ahead of time to see what I can find). I've also dealt with Team Rocket at the Radio Tower and I'm gonna spend some time grinding to get most of my team prepared for Clair, as she'll be a tough nut to crack. I'll probably transfer over some unused items and TMs from other Gen IV games to help iron out any kinks and shortcomings in my team. But other than that, everything looks to be in order.

Current Team:
Heatshot (Typholosion, male, 47)
Knuckler (Hitmontop, male, 36)
Sheila (Nidorina, female, 37)
Kazap (Magnezone, 38)
Duskwing (Honchkrow, male, 36)
Tsunami (Gyarados, male, shiny, 36)

And yes, as you can see, I cheated a bit and evolved my Magneton and Murkrow into their respective Gen IV forms, even though neither are in the Johto dex (and in Kazap's case, unable to be obtained "normally" in Johto to begin with). But I needed the firepower and both have served me well, so it's all good. Anyway, that's all for now.

I'm currently grinding for the Elite Four, mostly alternating between Route 222 and Victory Road. Once everyone is at lv.57, I'll capture the Lake Trio then return to the Pokémon League. Might I add, I always have the worst luck when it comes to Giratina. In every playthrough I've done, capturing it almost always takes at least 3 attempts. It's such a pain to catch >>
Anyway, I'll probably be able to beat the game tomorrow afternoon.

Current team
  • Infernape (Wonsungi) lv.52
  • Roserade (Kaitou) lv.53
  • Gastrodon (Anaspidea) lv.50
  • Drifblim (Reaper) lv.50
  • Garchomp (Qinglong) lv.53
  • Scizor (Lan Fan) lv.53

I beat Omega Ruby over the weekend! Right now I've been tying up some loose ends, catching some extra legendaries, evolving a few stuff, and eventually I'll try some chain fishing for some shiny hunting.

My team's levels upon entering the Hall of Fame

Ken - Blaziken (lvl. 58)
Lorelai – Gardevoir (lvl. 56)
Feng-Tiang – Shiftry (lvl. 55)
Leviathan – Relicanth (lvl. 55)
Ixion - Manectric (lvl. 56)
Wyvern – Flygon (lvl. 58)

I just realized that the male character in ultra sun/moon doesn't have any sandals available to wear and now I'm disappointed. :(

My playthrough of HeartGold is advancing nicely. I've reached the Pokémon League and spent several last days grinding my team a bit and doing some side stuff I hadn't done yet, like exploring the upper cave of Mt. Mortar. Speaking of which, on my way to Mt. Mortar, I checked my Pokégear map and saw that Entei, whom I had already paralyzed and gotten down to red health, was on the same route as I was. So I encountered it, threw a Quick Ball, and caught it. Just like that! It felt so satisfying. Now I can focus on Raikou. When I feel like it, that is. First, I'll be doing the Pokémon League. My team is at level 44 right now, and I plan to give everyone 2-3 more levels before I enter the Elite Four's domain.

Things on my previously abandoned White 2 save (started in 2015 and only cleared the Pokémon League fifteen days ago) have been going fairly well lately. My team in the first Hall of Fame entry is:

Level 64 Samurott (Megahorn, Swords Dance, Waterfall, Dig)
Level 62 Magnezone (Thunder Wave, Signal Beam, Electro Ball, Flash Cannon)
Level 62 Flygon (Fly, Rock Slide, Dragon Claw, Dig)
Level 62 Chandelure (Will-O-Wisp, Flamethrower, Inferno, Hex)
Level 63 Swoobat (Calm Mind, Double Team, Psyshock, Air Slash)

...and all of this was just to reach the Pokémon Day Care so I could begin a new project; crafting and then meticulously training up my most ambitious team in the pre-Gen VI games. Nature, EVs, necessary IVs, you name it. It may not be part of the main story but my ultimate goal in this run is to beat the PWT's Champions Tournament, and I'm certain I'll need one heck of a crew for that challenge.

And I like a challenge in Pokémon games. When they push me, I push back harder.

I'm playing Ultra Sun again, I'm about to take on the Verdant Trial Cavern

Current team (will change as the game goes on)

Rowlet Lv. 15
Litten Lv. 15
Own Temp Rockruff Lv. 13
Mimukyu Lv. 12
Mime Jr Lv 11 (wasn't planned, he just appeared in a random encounter and decided to catch him and see what he'd be like)

I have a boxed Poipole I might add later in the game.

Hey there. I'm dropping by to share something pretty extraordinary (at least I believe, YMMV) that I've witnessed on my earlier stated PWT campaign in White 2 and thought it deserved sharing for the ridiculousness of the whole scene.

One of my Pokémon survived an Ice Beam from Skyla's Swanna at 1HP without a Focus Sash, only to get frozen. That on its own would be a massive obscene gesture to the face but then she misses five freaking Hurricanes in a row until the thaw happened. RNG craziness at its finest?

My HeartGold playthrough has advanced me to the Kanto region. As of now, I've earned the Thunder and Marsh Badges, as well as obtained the Magnet Train Pass and the EXPN Card. I also caught Raikou before taking on the League, so now I've only got Latias to deal with as a roamer. And given that I've still yet to use my Master Ball, she's going to be an easy catch once I run into her.

Also, some random stuff: I wanted to catch a Combee from a Headbutt tree, just for the sake of catching one, and the first one I found was a female! Lucky me! I also used Thief on a bunch of other Combee to gather me some Honey, just because. And now that I have gotten Skill Swap from Sabrina, I'm planning to teach it to my Espeon so that I can steal the Black Sludge from a Biker's Gulpin at Cycling Road (it has Sticky Hold, so I can't do it otherwise). I already stole a Toxic Orb from a Super Nerd's Muk on my way to Lavender Town, just because I could. I'm also planning to steal the Flame Orb from Falkner once I get to rematch him.

I finished my trial with Ilima, I hate how he says "Captain Ilima here", yes fool I know exactly who you are. I can see you.

My team now, before I take on Hala:

Dartrix Lv 18
Torracat Lv 19
Mr. Mime Lv 16
Rockruff Lv 16
Mimikyu Lv 17
Crabrawler Lv 16

Mimey is going to get boxed after I use him and Dartrix to pulverize Hala.

Just started Crystal for the very first time ever... (I didn't get into the series until Gen 3)

I'm going with Cyndaquil as my starter, and probably going to pick up a Hoothoot also. No idea who else I'll use yet, but trying to stick exclusively with Johto pokes.

My HeartGold playthrough's Kanto portion is advancing nicely. As of now, I've earned six Kanto Badges and reached Cinnabar Island. Besides the routes before and after Seafoam Islands, I've still yet to clear the routes between Lavender and Fuchsia, as well as one of the two possible trips aboard the S.S. Aqua. I also managed to encounter Latias (on Route 1) after a bit of searching and catch it with my Master Ball, so that's all the roamers out of the picture.

Well... I did it. I actually just went and freaking pulled it off!

After narrowly beating Red, pulling Cynthia to a tie that the game counts as a win (even the announcer was a wee bit confused), and a heart-stopping round against Alder, my PWT campaign has ended with a victory in the Champions Tournament.

I'm still in a little bit of shock, as the very last fight came down to my Pokémon beating Alder's Reuniclus with gradual chip damage through his Light Screen and Leftovers. The two consecutive Toxic misses at the end as well, thank goodness for those!

Next... um, White Treehollow? Battle Subway? I'm frankly not sure where to go from here; this is honestly one of the most gruelling things I've done in a Pokémon game.

My playthrough of HeartGold is nearing it's completion. I've beaten all the Gym Leaders and all the Trainers (save Red), visited every location, gotten every phone number, had a rematch with every Gym Leader, and caught all the Legendary Pokémon (except Groudon). Now I'm hunting down the last remaining items (still yet to catch a Chansey in order to obtain a Lucky Punch, also in progress of collecting the Plates) and in-game trades (of the pre-Red trades, I'm still missing the one with Brock), as well as preparing for the Pokémon League rematches and the eventual battle with Red. I've also caught a specimen of every Pokémon that appears through the Hoenn and Sinnoh Sounds, collected some rare items by using Thief, and caught any new Pokémon from outbreaks. Hoping for a Chansey outbreak in order to find at least one Lucky Egg.

Last edited:
I'm playing Ultra Sun again, I'm about to take on the Verdant Trial Cavern

Current team (will change as the game goes on)

Rowlet Lv. 15
Litten Lv. 15
Own Temp Rockruff Lv. 13
Mimukyu Lv. 12
Mime Jr Lv 11 (wasn't planned, he just appeared in a random encounter and decided to catch him and see what he'd be like)

I have a boxed Poipole I might add later in the game.

So now I just finished the "grand trial" of battling Nanu.

My current team, all early level 40's:

Lycanroc
Incineroar
Decidueye
Mimikyu
Crabominable

I just didn't like Poipole or Naganadal for battling, so he is back in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom