• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

HELP: How would you include superpowers in Pokemon World?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72389
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72389

Hey there, this is my first time posting in this section! Actually, I am planning to write a Pokemon fanfiction, where a few humans are affected by an experiment, that was originally meant to increase the strength of Pokemon, and because of this experiment they end up getting different superpowers. Basically, it is supposed to be a 'What if there were superheroes in Pokemon World?' kind of fanfic.

But the problem is that, their world already contains a bunch of extremely strong super-powered creatures a.k.a. the Pokemon. So, I had started doubting whether the concept of Superheroes would feel redundant in the Pokemon World, since it already has the Pokemon with their special powers. Also, I don't want to write the story in a way that would take the focus away from the Pokemon.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep the Pokemon relevant and important and still make it a superhero story? :)

You could have the superhero use whatever Pokemon would suit him/her.

Example: Person gets super strength would naturally use Pokemon that have high attack power (fighting types are an example)
Example 2: If someone gets spider powers, have them have rely on the Spinarak and or Joltik lines. Like, they can only do certain things with the web powers.

Pokémon need instruction from competent trainers to fight effectively. A superpowered human has the significant advantage of not needing to communicate with a partner or telegraph their moves to their opponent. They may also be outright stronger than pokémon, I suppose.

However you want to. Lizards breathe fire and no one bats an eye. At least psychics and aura users are confirmed to exist in the game-verse, with channelers and witches... debatable. Add on Rui from Colosseum and whatever N has going on and there's a healthy basis that some humans can just do abnormal things and it's pretty accepted.

Some thoughts about keeping pokémon relevant:

You could take cues from the anime, which has a couple vigilantes with pokémon partners.

Any powered human must have vulnerabilities. Pokémon could exploit these.

Pokémon could also be part of superheroes' motivation.

This: Pokemon ReBUSRT

If you do not know this (probably not... because this is something very infamous across Pokemon manga fandom), this is a shounen battle manga featuring human characters utilizing superpower of Pokemons, by transforming into some kind of Pokemorph-equivalents using an item that seals a pokemon inside.

May be this is a very good official(?) work for reference.

If you're using the animé for reference, it's canon that superpowers exist.

Sabrina and her father have psychic abilities
Riley is capable of using aura.

They could be paired up with pokémon who complement their abilities like how Riley has a Lucario.

It could also be interesting to see a superhero like Iron Man who has no superpowers but uses technology to gain them.

I'd also like to see how regular trainers react to these superpowered individuals and the like.

Good point about technology-enabled heroes there — the pokémon world canonically has remarkable technological development. The intersection of the magical wild and high tech is a cornerstone of the franchise.

Have you given any thought to villains?

About the villains, I had decided that the person who sends humans in place of Pokemon for the experiment is the main villain. And he manages to put most of those super-powered humans under a mind-control because of which they listen to him and cause destruction.

His plan is to use the super-powered humans to capture all the legendary Pokemon.

But a few of the super-powered humans manage to escape the mind-control, and then they start the mission of stopping everyone else who is causing destruction.

And that is going to be only half side of the story. There is another half side to it. Where there is a group of vigilantes with their Pokemon partners, who think that all the super-powered beings are evil. And they are trying to stop all of them.

I hope it all didn't sound too confusing.

And that is going to be only half side of the story. There is another half side to it. Where there is a group of vigilantes with their Pokemon partners, who think that all the super-powered beings are evil. And they are trying to stop all of them.

The pokemon would count as superpowered beings so would these vigilantes only be going after the superpowered people? Or would they be going after all superpowered beings (while being complete hypocrites)?

If you're going for the second aspect, the technology empowered individuals might make sense for the villains.

The pokemon would count as superpowered beings so would these vigilantes only be going after the superpowered people? Or would they be going after all superpowered beings (while being complete hypocrites)?

If you're going for the second aspect, the technology empowered individuals might make sense for the villains.

No, they are only after super-powered people. Because they don't know that they are under mind-control and that's why they are causing destruction. They don't have any problem with Pokemon. I was thinking of having them use Pokemon and advanced technology for fighting against the super-powered humans, as they don't have any powers of their own.

No, they are only after super-powered people. Because they don't know that they are under mind-control and that's why they are causing destruction. They don't have any problem with Pokemon. I was thinking of having them use Pokemon and advanced technology for fighting against the super-powered humans, as they don't have any powers of their own.

Sounds like a good idea.

It might be interesting to flesh out further motives of the high-tech villain faction. Perhaps they feel that the superhumans shouldn't be the only ones capable of training a certain type simply for being born with powers. Or maybe they feel the the superhumans are inherently unequal and they want to rectify that in the least malicious way possible -- bringing everyone up to the level of the superhumans.

Also, maybe tech could be used by both factions?

One way I do it is to take a clue from Pokemon games and just label the powers Trainer Abilities or O-Powers. This gives the advantage that, if you ever get to a case of powers being established and generational, you can have the more common powers as being literally taught in schools while still preserving some powers as being self-created.

One way I do it is to take a clue from Pokemon games and just label the powers Trainer Abilities or O-Powers. This gives the advantage that, if you ever get to a case of powers being established and generational, you can have the more common powers as being literally taught in schools while still preserving some powers as being self-created.

Am I the only one getting the My Hero Academy vibe from this comment?

Sounds like a good idea.

It might be interesting to flesh out further motives of the high-tech villain faction. Perhaps they feel that the superhumans shouldn't be the only ones capable of training a certain type simply for being born with powers. Or maybe they feel the the superhumans are inherently unequal and they want to rectify that in the least malicious way possible -- bringing everyone up to the level of the superhumans.

Also, maybe tech could be used by both factions?

That sounds like a good idea! :)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom