• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I'm betting on January being the reveal date for Pokemon 2019. January... 8th.

And with it, we'll see the titles, staters and legenrdary Pokemon, with a secret at the end of the trailer.

Predictions!

Prediction: Early December, we get a teaser for 2019 games. Titles will be revealed along with a montage of clips that don't reveal anything significant. In late February 2019, the starters will be revealed alongside the name of the region and another montage of clips to show off some of the games' visuals.

Worst case scenario, we get silence until April, but I kind of feel like they will want to move on to advertising the next games as quickly as possible while newcomers who bought Let's go are still playing and enjoying Let's Go. If they wait too long, they could lose their attention, so to speak. That's just my theory, anyway.

I'll like Meltan if I find out that it's a tiny little powerhouse.

Meh, I'm ready for Let's Go to be released so that the focus shifts to Gen 8. I think I'm just jaded because I'm having withdrawals from a proper Pokemon game with gym challenges. I've replayed several generations already in the past few months, I need something new.

Dug up this old interview that's clearly about 2019. Should help with excitement. :p

Pokémon’s Developers Talk About Their Console RPG Debut On Switch

Hm... why doesn't Bulbapedia have a list of the asset numbers anywhere? Having that readily available would probably clear this debate up for everyone.

A lot of Dex entries don't include Ultra Sun and Moon. Sometimes not even Sun and Moon. It's probably a pain to keep up, but it does make the site feel less comprehensive than it did in the past.

Kyurem would also be a good one for it as well, Kyurem would just need to fuse with one of the other members of his trio normally with the DNA Splicers, and the remaining dragon would be used for Kyurem to evolve (Reshiram would be used for Black Kyurem to evolve and Zekrom would be used for White Kyurem to evolve). Either way, the other two members of the trio will disappear forever through this fusion method.

So far fusion has only shown up in odd gens, as they tend to have more science stories than mythical ones ala 2, 4, and 6. But, on the other hand, even gens usually focus on new evolutions. (Held items, levees, sinnoh forced old mon evos, mega evolution) So I could see it happening in an even generation. I think the console gen might ignore this, but I also can't see fusion in a non-science based story. Maybe it'll work if that innovation vs. tradition theme happens, but the ritual aspect of that rumor makes it seem like the traditional mythical arc. Obviously there's nothing remotely concrete, but I still believe the dock-like device makes plus and minus the most reasonable unverified rumor to use as a jumping off point. Maybe fusion never happens, but using Colress to adapt the splicers and fuse Pokemon other than the dragons is a compelling reason to think it's more when than if.

On the interview, Masuda himself said that Let's Go is made based off the mobile games, you know they stooped to the lowest level when a game made on the console behaves like a mobile game. I hate that idea, I don't care if it's for kids, the kids of today need to be challenged in some way so they can appreciate hard work in the future. This is why Let's Go is receiving the much needed hate that it deserves, a wake up call for Game Freak to stop using mobile as anything for developing Pokemon games.

It's a necessary evil.

Screenshot_20181015-030155_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

I really am curious to see how much Let's Go sells (I think it will potentially be lower than average; nothing drastic, but also not a top seller or anything), but I'm not too concerned about its influence on the future of Pokemon. I doubt we will get more Let's Go games. We won't know for a couple years either way. I'm reserving judgement until we are able to see what 2019 game is like and how much it sells in comparison.

If Let's Go accomplishes what they said; being an entry point for younger and new players; then this could have a positive impact on future games that won't have to hold themselves back because they were trying to make every game an entry point. If it actually does bring in a lot of new/returning players who go on to buy the 2019 game; then the 2019 game will definitely outsell Let's Go and they won't have too much reason to think that people prefer the Let's Go style game.

However, they could just as easily mess everything up if the 2019 game is pretty much the Status Quo with the same problems as the 3ds games: hand-holding; bad AI; very little difficulty; very little post game; very linear with almost no puzzles or optional areas. They have made several statements claiming that the 2019 games is for long time, veteran players, so if the game does very little to show that, or shows that they completely do not understand what veteran players want; then there might be reason to be a little worried. Right now, the only thing I'm worried about is the potential that following Pokemon will some how end up a Let's Go exclusive thing because they think only casual fans care about stuff like that and by "veteran" fans they are only referring to competitive players or something.

I think having an exclusive Nintendo Switch edition that comes bundled with one of the games will be the important part: getting more users in time for 2019. It's less how much does Let's Go sell and how many new Pokemon or Switch players it brings. I really think 2019 is going to be a game we've all wanted for a while, especially after Sun and Moon got them recognized for their work. It would be easy to cynically take that as them going overboard with handholding, but I think the big takeaway is its level of immersion for Pokemon and the environment, limited more by the 3DS than anything else. In the interview from 2017 I posted earlier, they mention fans not shutting up about a console RPG with the scope of an open world. They are aware and working on something along those lines. The post they used said "open world-ish", which is important to note.

Edit: Darn you people not being awake or active. All the double double posts well WHATEVER. OK maybe I'll finally go back to Platinum now. It's been almost a week.

Last edited:

What he's attempting is a fool's errand. Mobile gamers and console gamers have completely opposite preferences and different spending habits. Mobile gamers prefer something quick and easy that they can play for cheap, whereas console gamers prefer games that are deep and immersive and are more willing to pay more to have that kind of experience. They can't really design a game that would completely bring both groups together because they would argue about how much content there should be, and especially the price point. Most mobile gamers wouldn't pay $60 for a game, and most console gamers would likely be suspicious of a game that's less than $60. Making the game accessible to casuals isn't a bad idea provided you offer options for more skilled players to take on more challenging tasks if you go more in depth, but outright targeting mobile gamers on a console game is just asking for trouble. Best to continue appealing to mobile gamers with Go and let them decide for themselves if they're interested in a full scale console game.

From the interview:
None of the Pokemon that we worked on, got to a point, and then discarded them have actually ever re-appeared yet,

But isn’t that exactly what happened to Tirtouga, Latias/Blaziken, and Chicorita among others?
Madame Jaranra also came back as Tangrowth and Leafeon returned with a redesign after being discarded from GS.

Last edited:
Other (embarrassing) tidbits from the eurogamer interview:
I also wanted to quickly ask about the Pokémon that are available in the game - like those which are related to Kanto but not in the original 151. Pokémon like Igglybuff, or Magmortar, that tie into first-generation Pokémon. What was the reasoning behind leaving those out?

Junichi Masuda: So, kind of at the basis of it you know is that in the first generation there aren't any Pokémon Eggs, so you know, when we thought about how would these Pokémon be hatched in the first place, it kind of didn't make any sense. But also you know we wanted to spend more time and put more effort into making the Kanto Pokémon, the original 151, as well made as possible, and expressing them as well as we could.
Besides Eevee and Pikachu, there isn’t any special work that went to the Kanto Pokemon animations, besides the walking models but those were already done in SM.
Sure - and does it suggest you have one eye on another Let's Go style game set in Johto?

Junichi Masuda: So you know maybe - if everyone enjoys playing these games [laughs] - but you know more than that, I know that a lot of people and fans have spent a lot of time hatching eggs, they've hatched... a lot of eggs, but we want them to kind of discover new ways to enjoy Pokémon games, you know I'd be really sad to think that for them, Pokémon is hatching eggs, so with this one we're trying to show them a different side of the game.
What a hypocritical thing to say. They’re the ones who make breeding so grindy, and instead of improving it he complains that people spend too much time on eggs? Yeeesh.

And why not add more postgame if you don’t want people to think “Pokemon is hatching eggs”?

Last edited:
Junichi Masuda: So, kind of at the basis of it you know is that in the first generation there aren't any Pokémon Eggs, so you know, when we thought about how would these Pokémon be hatched in the first place, it kind of didn't make any sense. But also you know we wanted to spend more time and put more effort into making the Kanto Pokémon, the original 151, as well made as possible, and expressing them as well as we could.
Also last time I checked Magmortar, Scizor and Golbat didn’t hatch from eggs.

Junichi Masuda: So when we tried to think about how kids these days generally play games, what came to mind was mobile games really. Games which you play for a short time, and perhaps you'll be moving between various games pretty quickly, so if it was a game that kind of takes about two hours to get into

If you’re literally giving us content equivalent to mobile games make it cost equivalent to a mobile game- a really premium price tag of $0.

I'm incredulous that a person at such a high position forgot why people are spending $360 instead of just... playing on their phones and ignoring all consoles.

What would you say to those players who are crying out for a bit more of a challenge, maybe adult players who've been playing for these 20 years or who got into it a bit later? Should they wait for next year's RPG instead?

Junichi Masuda:
So you know to those kinds of fans we'd mention the 'catch combo' mechanic, whereby you catch the same Pokémon multiple times in a row and get various rewards and benefits for that.

Weren’t they against tedious features? And as an avid Pokémon Go player I can say that throwing a Pokeball and catching the same Pokémon gets tedious.

GameFreak literally equates tedious with challenge now.

Oh, and regarding his statement for Let's Go Johto, I think he’s forgetting that Johto is the region of the games which first introduced breeding...

All of this emphasis on mobile and the development of the Let's Go games.

The only exciting thing (in my book) that has happened in the Pokemon world this year is simply the Chimchar I just caught in Pokemon Go! Gen IV finally arriving in Go is the only exciting thing in my book to happen for Pokemon.

And what's more, LGPE might be likely to break sales records.

I think the perfect analogy is Nintendo and the Wii. Nintendo made a casual friendly console at just the right time and it became a household name. With Let's Go, GameFreak is also trying to emulate the kind of casual appeal the Wii did, using household names as it’s main critters.

Wow. I really am about the only one who cares about this game. I think most of you are being way overcritical. I have it preordered with the controller. I’m hyped for it, maybe not new gen hyped, but hyped. For me I like the idea of the in-depth partner side. All the stuff that seems to happen with your partner pokemon, and that would really appeal to little kids. You’re looking at these games from a prospective that isn’t really fair. You are not the target audience. New players are. For long time players it’s nostalgia. I have wanted a yellow remake forever, and now I get it and with eevee to boot.

As for the mobile I think it’s accurate. A lot of little kids play go on the parents phones (sick to me, but not my kids) I don’t know about you guys, but I had two older brothers and played on consoles and handhelds for as long as I can remember. What drew me in was games that were fairly easy for me to understand and play. Hard games were merely a frustration, but if you make a game they recognize and understand they will be excited and want to play, introducing a new generation to the game. Not all games have to be intense and challenging. Some of the best selling games are those which are fun and leisure.

Besides when your talking tedious regular pokemon games are annoyingly tedious as well. Having to battle six million pokemon to get one level is annoying as all get out. At least by catching them I’m doing something with my time. So, no. I don’t find catching them as tedious. Especially not compared to battling endless weak wild pokemon to level. It’s the same to me. I only like battling trainers. I’m not saying it’s a better option but it is less irritating for me. I don’t expect it to do as well as a new gen game, but I don’t expect it to flop at all either. I think you will be surprised. This is just my take on it because I do think you are being overly critical and quite rude actually. Oh, and you really should go look at the number of games currenly coming out that are in some way mobile related. A lot, and to say the switch is expensive is crap. It’s cheaper than the other consoles on the market.

Oh, and point of clarification. The poke ball device is a controller. It gives you nothing else, because you can get mew in pokemon go. I have one. It’s a research project.

As for the mobile I think it’s accurate. A lot of little kids play go on the parents phones (sick to me, but not my kids) I don’t know about you guys, but I had two older brothers and played on consoles and handhelds for as long as I can remember. What drew me in was games that were fairly easy for me to understand and play. Hard games were merely a frustration, but if you make a game they recognize and understand they will be excited and want to play, introducing a new generation to the game. Not all games have to be intense and challenging. Some of the best selling games are those which are fun and leisure.

A lot, and to say the switch is expensive is crap. It’s cheaper than the other consoles on the market.

Currently Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon provide more content than LGPE at a MUCH less cost.
Also content=/= difficulty. But here we're losing out on both of them so I find it justified.

We’re paying more for less content compared to previous entries. Not everyone isn’t fortunate enough to blindly throw money at GameFreak.

because you can get mew in pokemon go. I have one. It’s a research project.
It cannot be transferred to Let's Go.

You are not the target audience.
Is that why Masuda insists that these games are also for “traditional” Pokemon players?
So what would make me happiest would be if Pokémon Go players and traditional Pokémon RPG players actually come together and are throwing out Pokéballs together, either with the Joy-Con or using their smartphones, and really enjoying Pokémon together.
It’s annoying how he’s pretending to appeal to long time fans of the series while removing so much that was added over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom