• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Controversial opinions

I find it entertaining how everyone rags on A.J.'s attitude and training methods, yet Paul who was many times worse than him in the span of like 3 whole years gets continual praise even to this day. The double standards lol.
Probably because Paul appeared in more than a single episode and eventually received a backstory that sorta kinda somewhat explains why he behaves the way he did. A.J. got nothing like that; he was just a simple one-shot character and thus never really got his abrasive personality explored further. They're like bananas and potatoes; it's tough to compare the two.

I still wouldn't praise Paul the character himself since he's still quite the massive prick, but I would praise Paul the rival as a driving force for Ash. Like him or not, that's where the "continual praise" goes towards: he absolutely motivated Ash to go above and beyond throughout DP.

A.J., again as a one-shot, was practically erased from the minds of Ash and company afterwards and never had a lasting legacy on anyone. There is just A.J. the character, who left a less than great impression in his sole appearance.

I find it entertaining how everyone rags on A.J.'s attitude and training methods, yet Paul who was many times worse than him in the span of like 3 whole years gets continual praise even to this day. The double standards lol.

I absolutely cannot stand Paul. Even from the perspective of him as a rival, there was a lot they could've done better IMO. But, I try to avoid mentioning him too excessively now, because I always run the risk of opening some big can of worms when I do that. Once that happens, it's likely that neither side will ever actually "win", and the argument will probably end up going in circles if I try to prolong it too much. So, I just decided it's usually not worth it, unless I only have to bring him up briefly, or if I just decide that I'll bite the bullet and accept that I'm risking complaints.

On while on the topic of early OS, I loved Giselle from the Pokemon Tech episode since she poked fun at Ash's progress when his head was getting big, albeit in a passive-aggressive way.

You bringing up that episode does remind me of another opinion I had: I don't entirely get the point in complaining that the anime is so different from the games when it seemed like the whole point of that episode was establishing that in the animeverse, you can't always just treat battles like some kind of simulation. Plus, it just makes sense that "level" would inherently mean a lot less in the anime, because it's way more complicated than a game world where everything can be easily and consistently calculated.

My main complaint with anime rules isn't that they're different, it's just that they should be more consistent. Not to mention, the characters could stand to be more creative sometimes, given that their rules are so different and give them more to work with.

I feel like this is an unpopular opinion, but I feel like this is exactly where the SM series fails. The Island Challenge is more of an after thought, rather than a series of challenges that Ash needs to overcome to reach his final destination in the region, and his rival isn't someone he's continually looking to surpass or stay on top of. Ash isn't thinking of beating Gladion, or the challenge often. Also, it isn't set up so you have to defeat 1-3 Totem Pokemon before you take on the Grand Trial. It has tried way too hard to be a comedic slice of life anime, rather than an action-adventure anime. Don't get me wrong, I think the series has its good moments, but the way it handled the Island Challenge was just very poorly.
Is being different a crime now? The Sun & Moon series is putting more focus on the characters' everyday lives instead of things that happen as the characters are moving towards their goals. And Ash still trains his Pokémon, even if he's not constantly moving towards the next milestone.

Last edited:
Is being different a crime now? The Sun & Moon series is putting more focus on the characters' everyday lives instead of things that happen as the characters are moving towards their goals. And Ash still trains his Pokémon, even if he's not constantly moving towards the next milestone.

I don't think that being different is necessarily the reason why SM has a mixed reception. The slice of life kind of format does allow for more focus on the characters' everyday lives, but I don't think that really fits for Pokemon, at least not the main series where Ash has always been on a journey with friends who are also working towards their own goals. Plus, I don't think seeing more into their everyday lives really makes the characters more compelling than if we just saw them working towards their goals. The format does help to make the large cast work more so than if they were all traveling together and most of them are likable, but I wouldn't say that it makes the cast more compelling. I think one reason why I like Kiawe the most out of the classmates is because his goal is about becoming a strong trainer and his focused episodes tend to focus on his efforts to reach his goal or bond with his Pokemon. It's much more fitting with the anime than Mallow just wanting to make her family's restaurant more successful, Lana trying to perfect Popplio's balloons or whatever Sophocles' goal is.

Besides all that, I think treating the Island Challenge is still a pretty huge problem. This should be treated like Gym battles or at least have the same kind of importance as it does in the games, but it's such an afterthought that I really believed for quite awhile that they had dropped it from the show completely. Ash does train his Pokemon, but he'll rarely bring up the Island Challenge. For someone who spent years always going towards the next Gym, not being constantly hyped about his next set of Trials is really weird. Maybe it wouldn't be too much of an issue if they mentioned why Ash was taking his sweet time with the Island Challenge, but they don't and if it is supposed to be because of what he's doing at the Pokemon School, that wouldn't work as a reason either. The Pokemon School is basically just a background for the series and Ash isn't really getting anything new from the school that he couldn't get from traveling around the Alola region.

Last edited:
On another topic, I would just like to say that I would've much preferred the GS Ball plotline wind up as it was originally planned to and have Celebi have its own arc, with maybe some other Pokémon get the starring role in the fourth movie, or why not star Celebi in the movie nevertheless? Seriously, expecting fans to "just forget" a plot element that was hyped up and kept in front of their noses for dozens of episodes? Just how naive can a person get?

As bad as the reasoning behind dropping the GS Ball subplot was, I don't think it bothered me that much. Prior to the Team Plasma two parter, it was the main dropped plot point that people complained about and I can't blame people for being upset. Expecting the audience to just forget what was established since the Orange Island was pretty stupid, but it didn't really bother me. I remember expecting them to bring it up after the Johto League, but then they jumped right back into Kanto. In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised since I don't think the GS Ball was even mentioned after they left it with Kurt and they were getting ready to start a new series, but even back then, I wasn't upset. I was kind of confused and surprised, but I just mentally went "Oh, okay. They aren't going bring up the GS Ball. Whatever."

Also, I gotta wonder if the unused Apricorn Balls wound up remaining unused because this arc was scrapped? I believe we can actually see some signs of the planned arc in the Master Quest opening (although I could of course be mistaken), with the ending shot focusing around Celebi and Ash holding his Fast Ball.

To be honest, with Sun and Moon NPCs using non-standard Poké Balls, the Sun & Moon anime reflecting this with characters like Gladion, and the Apricorn Balls being available in the games again, I've had small hopes that maybe, maybe at least Ash's unused Fast Ball would wind up getting used at last. However, unfortunately, no signs in that direction have come out, so my hopes are not that high.

I don't think that being different is necessarily the reason why SM has a mixed reception. The slice of life kind of format does allow for more focus on the characters' everyday lives, but I don't think that really fits for Pokemon, at least not the main series where Ash has always been on a journey with friends who are also working towards their own goals. Plus, I don't think seeing more into their everyday lives really makes the characters more compelling than if we just saw them working towards their goals. The format does help to make the large cast work more so than if they were all traveling together and most of them are likable, but I wouldn't say that it makes the cast more compelling. I think one reason why I like Kiawe the most out of the classmates is because his goal is about becoming a strong trainer and his focused episodes tend to focus on his efforts to reach his goal or bound with his Pokemon. It's much more fitting with the anime than Mallow just wanting to make her family's restaurant more successful, Lana trying to perfect Popplio's balloons or whatever Sophocles' goal is.

Besides all that, I think treating the Island Challenge is still a pretty huge problem. This should be treated like Gym battles or at least have the same kind of importance as it does in the games, but it's such an afterthought that I really believed for quite awhile that they had dropped it from the show completely. Ash does train his Pokemon, but he'll rarely bring up the Island Challenge. For someone who spent years always going towards the next Gym, not being constantly hyped about his next set of Trials is really weird. Maybe it wouldn't be too much of an issue if they mentioned why Ash was taking his sweet time with the Island Challenge, but they don't and if it is supposed to be because of what he's doing at the Pokemon School, that wouldn't work as a reason either. The Pokemon School is basically just a background for the series and Ash isn't really getting anything new from the school that he couldn't get from traveling around the Alola region.

I don't actually sit down and watch all of Sun/Moon, I just keep up with general events and watch certain episodes... And what I do see, it's not that bad, but there are things I'd prefer instead. So I may not have some perfect, be-all-end all opinion on how to improve it, but I do have a few more ideas on how they could compromise and make something I would like more.

1: For the love of god, keep your rules and logic more consistent. Consistent doesn't have to mean realistic, but if you give me crazy stuff like Pikachu climbing electricity, give me foreshadowing too. Please.
2: The school is for more serious/accomplished Trainers, but still retains the more hands-on feeling and isn't too heavy on academia and whatnot.
3: Ash is less goofy and the victim of less slapstick, but doesn't become 100% serious and boring either.
4: The things that are more about emotion and morality are nice, but they could simultaneously give more focus to battles again too.
5: Training quotas as "homework" and developing new strategies as "projects".
6: The other classmates are also mostly more serious as Trainers. Lillie could still be the exception, someone who's not really a student but can still watch and learn, as a sort of audience stand-in for someone less familiar with Pokemon.
7: Poipole actually battles, doesn't leave, and eventually evolves.

Also, basic rough draft idea for more Gladion conflict: Gladion used to be a top student, but dropped out to work with Team Skull because he's obsessed with power and revenge against Aether, and thinks Team Skull will be the faster option... But Team Skull is a bad influence on him, and also manipulating him, so Ash decides to help Lillie convince him to stop, since he won't listen to Lillie alone.

But, Gladion won't listen to Ash either, so Ash has to get stronger to try and earn his respect/get through to him. It would also be interesting if he was trying to get Ultra Beasts for himself because he wants to use them against Aether to improve his chances of success and make his vengeance more ironic. (Meanwhile, Team Skull wants him to get the Ultra Beasts for their own reasons)

Last edited:
On another topic, I would just like to say that I would've much preferred the GS Ball plotline wind up as it was originally planned to and have Celebi have its own arc, with maybe some other Pokémon get the starring role in the fourth movie, or why not star Celebi in the movie nevertheless? Seriously, expecting fans to "just forget" a plot element that was hyped up and kept in front of their noses for dozens of episodes? Just how naive can a person get?

Fans probably won't forget it, but how many current little kids know about it? That's why they can get away with plenty of shitty stuff.

Fans probably won't forget it, but how many current little kids know about it? That's why they can get away with plenty of shitty stuff.
Well, I guess kids after that can complain about the abandoned Team Plasma arc (myself included). Don't get me wrong, the reasoning for why that arc was abandoned is way more understandable than the one behind the cancellation of the GS Ball plotline, but it still hurts thinking what could've been and why it never happened.

Funnily enough, I'd probably prefer those two episodes to never air, since as they're reconned out of continuity, seeing them would just remind me of what we could've gotten.

I honestly never cared for the GS ball at all. I kinda forgot it was there most of the time and as a kid I forgot about it completely after it was dropped off. I don't think having a celebi in it would have been a good idea and I'm glad they scrapped it. Celebi pops out! Wow ok... Now what? Obviously no one can catch it. I can't really see an arc around it since it would require Ash and co either staying there with it which bogs down the already slow Johto series, or Celebi travels with them which just seems weird.

1: For the love of god, keep your rules and logic more consistent. Consistent doesn't have to mean realistic, but if you give me crazy stuff like Pikachu climbing electricity, give me foreshadowing too. Please.

Possibly controversial - I don't mind things like this.

I love your Team Skull idea though.

Also, basic rough draft idea for more Gladion conflict: Gladion used to be a top student, but dropped out to work with Team Skull because he's obsessed with power and revenge against Aether, and thinks Team Skull will be the faster option... But Team Skull is a bad influence on him, and also manipulating him, so Ash decides to help Lillie convince him to stop, since he won't listen to Lillie alone.

But, Gladion won't listen to Ash either, so Ash has to get stronger to try and earn his respect/get through to him. It would also be interesting if he was trying to get Ultra Beasts for himself because he wants to use them against Aether to improve his chances of success and make his vengeance more ironic. (Meanwhile, Team Skull wants him to get the Ultra Beasts for their own reasons)

This is the part I'd rather see not happen. Gladion's present personality is quite enjoyable for me and he’s my favourite Sun/Moon series Character currently.
We can go without creating a power hungry Paul 2.0.

This is the part I'd rather see not happen. Gladion's present personality is quite enjoyable for me and he’s my favourite Sun/Moon series Character currently.
We can go without creating a power hungry Paul 2.0.
That and the majority of what was said is COMPLETELY out of character in all canon adaptations of Gladion. (S/M and US/UM he took Type:Null and ran to get stronger and protect what is left of his family. "US/UM that part was made more clear." The Manga is more of a jerk, but his objective is to KILL the Ultra Beasts. Their isn't even a snowballs chance in hell that Gladion would capture/ use an Ultra Beast besides Solgaleo/ Lunala and if he works with one... there is a chance it is because he trust the allied trainer to keep the damn thing in line.)
This all connects to the anime pefectly, where Gladion took Type:Null and ran to protect his sister and prevent a repeat of the Nihilego incident.

That and the majority of what was said is COMPLETELY out of character in all canon adaptations of Gladion. (S/M and US/UM he took Type:Null and ran to get stronger and protect what is left of his family. "US/UM that part was made more clear." The Manga is more of a jerk, but his objective is to KILL the Ultra Beasts. Their isn't even a snowballs chance in hell that Gladion would capture/ use an Ultra Beast besides Solgaleo/ Lunala and if he works with one... there is a chance it is because he trust the allied trainer to keep the damn thing in line.)
This all connects to the anime pefectly, where Gladion took Type:Null and ran to protect his sister and prevent a repeat of the Nihilego incident.

That, and Gladion's current personality beautifully mirrors Lunala's, which allowed him to use Menacing Moonraze Maelstrom.

All Gladion needs is more appearances and he’s solid. Hi sorry personality provides enough contrast with Ash's to run a rivalry while at the same time not being a jerk.

(Controversial part incoming) I actually don’t mind if Gladion defeats Ash in the league since imo he trains much more than Ash and any victory over Ash would be deserved to him.

I'd say both of you bring up valid criticism, which is partly why I said it was a rough draft idea.

I didn't initially see these flaws in particular, but I could tell there was probably some kind of issue I wasn't aware of. I just didn't devote much time to it right then, knowing that I could just come back to it later, and knowing that the main point was just to offer at least something towards an idea of creating more Gladion conflict, or making him a bigger priority to Ash.

On the bright side, at least it encouraged others to give their input.

Actually, I have some problems with Gladio's personality: He supposed to be on a quest to protect his family, yet:
  • He abandoned his family on words of someone, without asking his mother.
  • He met his sister, yet said nothing to her despite of danger he believe exist.
  • Since his "return," he barely talk or interact with his family members.
  • Only person he interacted is Satoshi.

Back
Top Bottom