• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also think that because it is a home console game, some things should slightly change.

First of all, the game's enviroment. I can already see changes like this in LGPE, and I'm sure they will continue to appear more and more. Obviously, playing in the living room on a big screen TV, everything takes a much larger proportion than before, providing a greater immersion to the player. I hope they are aware of this, and increase the games substantially in that sense from now on.

I hope, for generations to come, to hear the sound of the sea waves and the Wingulls on the coast. Things like that.

Content. It's not a rule, but regularly home console games feature more content than handheld games, we might be discussing the reason and exceptions here, but I think the point is that Pokemon games will be indirect "competing" with games like that now. Apart from DP, the Nintendo DS era was pretty much stuffy with content, but the 3DS era failed in that, as I see it.

I also expect substantial post-games going forward. Even if they are by DLC.

Controls. I think that from now on, you can add a little more action in the games, through features like the trips in the Ultra Wormholes in USUM, and Mantine Surf. First, because the power of the console allows more things like that now. Second, handheld games might not be the most appropriate place for this sort of thing, as some people would like to play on the street and in other places, and so you may not be able to pay so much attention on the game screen. But now, we are talking about a home console game, so I think everything is possible in that sense.

Exploration. I think the success of Botw and Mario Odyssey proved that games that promote exploration are well accepted among the Switch public. I would like to see more exploration. Again, we might be discussing the reason and exceptions here, but I do not see much purpose on that.

Certainly there are other things that I am not remembering now.

Some other little things bother me for a home console game. As for example, the small "icons" of Pokémon, which despite having an update in LGPE, still bother me. (I'm aware that Masuda said he could not imagine a game without it, but still) And I think other little things like PokéPelago would have to be reformulated or gone.

I understand that none of this is a rule for home console games. And I also understand that the audience and style of some games mentioned are different from Pokémon.

The point is that, Pokémon has always been a prestigious series.

Pokémon games have always been a reference in handhelds, earning awards etc., but in a home console, it should take a different methodology, or all of that will be behind.

I believe that if they do not slowly adapt to certain things on the Switch, the series unfortunately will gradually lose much of its relevance, although I doubt that it comes close to ending.

Just to make it clear: I consider Game Freak to be one of the best developers, for many reasons...I think it mainly because of their creative ability, and for the love they show when are creating the Pokémon games, thinking and changing every little detail . Although it is very bad in programming/graphics, and has other defects. I still consider it to be one of the best developers. I really think that they are aware of these things, and will adapt the series gradually to a more home console style to approach on Switch. But only time will tell if I'm right or not.

Edit

Oh, I just remembered one more thing that adds well to the context...Says that the 3DS "compete" with smartphones, seems wrong to me, but it may be the case, depending on the situation...

But the Switch definitely has nothing to do with smartphones. So I think they should forget about this sort of thing when they're thinking about whether or not to include a Battle Frontier in the next main games.

Also, Let's Go is kind of a spin-off of the GO, so I'm not really counting on it.

Last edited:
So about the whole Meltan/Melmetal thing...

They don’t necessarily need a new Pokémon to introduce a new Generation. Take the last Gen 5 Movie... It featured Genesect and Mega Mewtwo...

The next movie also features Mewtwo... So Meltan would be the Mythical and maybe Mewtwo will be getting something (again...) In the next games.

My dream game would be an open world, choice driven experience with a large post game which has a huge Battle Frontier with all the facilities from both, an upgraded Underground, Secret Bases, Contests but with limit cap from RSE and more.

But to curb expectations, a more open world, not a completely open world, but a larger map. A bigger post game which isn't filled with just Battle Facilities. An end goal that isn't just become Champion. More choices that result in different endings, but a few so as to not jump into the deep end right away.

Pokemon is already Open World and likely stays as is (Since having Full Open World will never happen anyways, since it means you cannot have limitations and the League will always stay as such and it means you also cannot have a Post-Game, since that is also a limitation)

I also think that because it is a home console game, some things should slightly change.

First of all, the game's enviroment. I can already see changes like this in LGPE, and I'm sure they will continue to appear more and more. Obviously, playing in the living room on a big screen TV, everything takes a much larger proportion than before, providing a greater immersion to the player. I hope they are aware of this, and increase the games substantially in that sense from now on.

I hope, for generations to come, to hear the sound of the sea waves and the Wingulls on the coast. Things like that.

Content. It's not a rule, but regularly home console games feature more content than handheld games, we might be discussing the reason and exceptions here, but I think the point is that Pokemon games will be indirect "competing" with games like that now. Apart from DP, the Nintendo DS era was pretty much stuffy with content, but the 3DS era failed in that, as I see it.

I also expect substantial post-games going forward. Even if they are by DLC.

Controls. I think that from now on, you can add a little more action in the games, through features like the trips in the Ultra Wormholes in USUM, and Mantine Surf. First, because the power of the console allows more things like that now. Second, handheld games might not be the most appropriate place for this sort of thing, as some people would like to play on the street and in other places, and so you may not be able to pay so much attention on the game screen. But now, we are talking about a home console game, so I think everything is possible in that sense.

Exploration. I think the success of Botw and Mario Odyssey proved that games that promote exploration are well accepted among the Switch public. I would like to see more exploration. Again, we might be discussing the reason and exceptions here, but I do not see much purpose in that.

Certainly there are other things that I am not remembering now.

Some other little things bother me for a home console game. As for example, the small "icons" of Pokémon, which despite having an update in LGPE, still bother me. (I'm aware that Masuda said he could not imagine a game without it, but still) And I think other little things like PokéPelago would have to be reformulated or gone.

I understand that none of this is a rule for home console games. And I also understand that the audience and style of some games mentioned are different from Pokémon.

The point is that, Pokémon has always been a prestigious series.

Pokémon games have always been a reference in handhelds, earning awards etc., but in a home console, it should take a different methodology, or all of that will be behind.

I believe that if they do not slowly adapt to certain things on the Switch, the series unfortunately will gradually lose much of its relevance, although I doubt that it comes close to ending.

Just to make it clear: I consider Game Freak to be one of the best developers, for many reasons...I think it mainly because of their creative ability, and for the love they show when are creating the Pokémon games, thinking and changing every little detail . Although it is very bad in programming/graphics, and has other defects. I still consider it to be one of the best developers. I really think that they are aware of these things, and will adapt the series gradually to a more home console style to approach on Switch. But only time will tell if I'm right or not.

Edit

Oh, I just remembered one more thing that adds well to the context...Says that the 3DS "compete" with smartphones, seems wrong to me, but it may be the case, depending on the situation...

But the Switch definitely has nothing to do with smartphones. So I think they should forget about this sort of thing when they're thinking about whether or not to include a Battle Frontier in the next main games.

Also, Let's Go is kind of a spin-off of the GO, so I'm not really counting on it.
You've expressed my thoughts in a very detailed way and more than I could ever explain. Thanks.

So about the whole Meltan/Melmetal thing...

They don’t necessarily need a new Pokémon to introduce a new Generation. Take the last Gen 5 Movie... It featured Genesect and Mega Mewtwo...

The next movie also features Mewtwo... So Meltan would be the Mythical and maybe Mewtwo will be getting something (again...) In the next games.
Watch people be like: "Evolution? Mewtwo? That means Mewthree confirmed!" >_<

I think BOTW, Mario Odyssey, GTA when it comes to console games.
BOTW and Mario Odyssey still have their original goals (save Hyrule from Ganon and save Peach from Bowser, respectively), and very little branching endings, so I still don't see how those traits would make Pokemon feel like a console game.
But still, Pokemon is now competing with some big franchises.
Pokemon is the second-highest selling franchise. There's only one bigger franchise to compete with, the Mario franchise, and Pokemon's already been competing with for a while. (Mario has handheld releases, too) And Pokemon actually has a considerably higher revenue. Pokemon should still be improving, of course, but to say that they need to be more like other games that have had smaller success just doesn't make sense.

Pokemon is already Open World and likely stays as is (Since having Full Open World will never happen anyways, since it means you cannot have limitations and the League will always stay as such and it means you also cannot have a Post-Game, since that is also a limitation)
Erm, not exactly? The Pokémon League is just in the games to be the final boss (something that is still in open world games), and how turning it into an open world prevents them from adding a post-game? They could always include something after the end (aside from the obligatory rematch against the league).

EDIT: However, there's something they could do with the League: Make it an actual tournament. Gen VII was a step in the right direction since I liked how your final opponent was not the same guy everytime (aside from the first two times, obviously). Just doing that will make the whole thing more interesting

Last edited:
BOTW and Mario Odyssey still have their original goals (save Hyrule from Ganon and save Peach from Bowser, respectively), and very little branching endings, so I still don't see how those traits would make Pokemon feel like a console game.

Those traits aren't the ones we're talking about. What makes a game open world and more console feeling is:

1. Open level design where you can walk in just about any direction and hit little to no boundaries.
2. The ability to progress in any direction you want.

That's what BotW and Odyssey have that Pokemon does not. BotW is one seamless world where you can walk around anywhere you want and complete the game in whatever order you want (in BotW's case, you can complete any Divine Beast you want). Odyssey has a specific order you complete it in, but each of its levels are like mini open worlds that still have the open level design and allow you to collect whatever Power Moons you want to move on.

Pokemon, on the other hand, has very claustrophobic, linear areas and requires you to complete the game in a specific order. There's no real opportunity to wander around where you want and do what you want, the game tells you what to do and when to do it. The Pokemon equivalent of a game like BotW or Odyssey would have more open routes (Poni Plains would be a good example of the kind of routes we should see more of) or even no routes at all and just have a seamless overworld like BotW, and it would let you complete gyms in any order.

Those traits aren't the ones we're talking about. What makes a game open world and more console feeling is:

1. Open level design where you can walk in just about any direction and hit little to no boundaries.

That's what BotW and Odyssey have that Pokemon does not. BotW is one seamless world where you can walk around anywhere you want and complete the game in whatever order you want (in BotW's case, you can complete any Divine Beast you want). Odyssey has a specific order you complete it in, but each of its levels are like mini open worlds that still have the open level design and allow you to collect whatever Power Moons you want to move on.

Pokemon, on the other hand, has very claustrophobic, linear areas and requires you to complete the game in a specific order. There's no real opportunity to wander around where you want and do what you want, the game tells you what to do and when to do it. The Pokemon equivalent of a game like BotW or Odyssey would have more open routes (Poni Plains would be a good example of the kind of routes we should see more of) or even no routes at all and just have a seamless overworld like BotW, and it would let you complete gyms in any order.
The word for that is railroading.

Pokémon is really guilty of railroading players. Especially in newer gens. Alola is the most egregious example of this, but the series as a whole has been heading in this direction since Hoenn.

Interestingly, Gens I and II, while still having a definite track they want you to follow, were far more open world than later gens. Once you beat Misty, you could theoretically hit every other Gym bar Giovanni in any order you want. Ditto for Johto once you get past Morty.

The word for that is railroading.

Pokémon is really guilty of railroading players. Especially in newer gens. Alola is the most egregious example of this, but the series as a whole has been heading in this direction since Hoenn.

Interestingly, Gens I and II, while still having a definite track they want you to follow, were far more open world than later gens. Once you beat Misty, you could theoretically hit every other Gym bar Giovanni in any order you want. Ditto for Johto once you get past Morty.
I guess this is a leftover from old school JRPGs, since the games I played like that have more or less the same amount of railroading as Pokémon (the Mother series), or give you freedom just when the game is starting to end (Chrono Trigger, some Final Fantasies). Maybe it's just one of those Eastern vs Western things.

Also, I don't think Kanto is open world on purpose. It looks more like it's the players that found ways to do things their own way. YMMV if Johto is also an accidental example or it's done on purpose, since I'm not even sure which one it is.

Those traits aren't the ones we're talking about.
Not what you were talking about, but they were what PurplePegasus said when prog asked what they would consider console traits.

What makes a game open world and more console feeling is:

While positive traits, these aren't requirements to make something a console game. There are several successful Switch games that didn't have this at all-Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Rabbids, and Mario Kart, which outsold BotW. And as mentioned before, past console RPGs like Earthbound, Paper Mario, and Undertale don't have open world features and are still popular console games.

Odyssey has a specific order you complete it in, but each of its levels are like mini open worlds that still have the open level design and allow you to collect whatever Power Moons you want to move on.
That's because it's a platformer, and there's more alternate challenges to make with one level. It'd be like Pokemon letting you battle gym leaders in different battle formats. Good gameplay for sure, but it's not a massive improvement to Pokemon in terms of world restriction.

Choices are more of my own wish for Pokemon than making it more of a console game. But the more open world is what I meant when it comes to console games like Bolt said.

Pokemon is such a straight line that I am sure that it was drawn up with a ruler.

"Open-world video games are a type of video game where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives."

Pokemon does not remotely pass as open world... but it is certainly possible to have an open world game with limitations. Some buildings or small areas may not be accessible until you are a higher level, for example- doesn't nullify the open world concept because it's not blocking off an entire huge portion of the world from being accessed. Some pokemon might not appear until your level is higher, too. Post-game content might only be available once you beat the game-- oh wait, that's already how post-game works.

While positive traits, these aren't requirements to make something a console game. There are several successful Switch games that didn't have this at all-Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario Rabbids, and Mario Kart, which outsold BotW. And as mentioned before, past console RPGs like Earthbound, Paper Mario, and Undertale don't have open world features and are still popular console games.

I don't get it. Botw has much more to do with Pokémon than Mario Kart. And neither Earthbound nor Undertale, and not even Paper Mario has the same relevance as Pokémon.

Splatoon 2, Mario Rabbids, Mario Kart...I have not seen any of these games winning or being nominated for any award for Best Switch game/home console game. But I saw Mario Odyssey and Botw doing it. As I have always seen Pokémon games being nominated and winning prizes for being the best games from their respective platforms.

I think it's inevitable that if they don't adapt the games to certain things on the Switch, the series will lose much of its relevance over time.

Also, I think if these are "positive traits" or not that is something subjective. But I think it's clear that it's something that fit well with home console games now, especially if it is the main series RPG of the world's largest media franchise.

Edit
Media*

Last edited:
I don't get it. Botw has much more to do with Pokémon than Mario Kart.
The point was that a "console game" doesn't have to have these features to be popular. The idea was that Pokemon would have to be more like BotW to do well, but Mario Kart wasn't like it and did even better.
And neither Earthbound nor Undertale, and not even Paper Mario has the same relevance as Pokémon.
Legend of Zelda doesn't have the same relevance as Pokemon-its total sales are 92.72 million, not even a third of Pokemon's 300.83 million. Why are we comparing the two? Because they're popular games with some similarities. I'm doing the same in comparing other popular RPGs to Pokemon.
Splatoon 2, Mario Rabbids, Mario Kart...I have not seen any of these games winning or being nominated for any award for Best Switch game/home console game.
Maybe that's because you haven't been looking? Because Mario Rabbids was nominated for best console game twice. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was nominated for best Switch game by IGN and Destructoid, and if we include the Wii U version, it's also won game of the year several times.

Personally, I don't put too much stock into critics' awards, because they're only indicative of a critic's opinion, not financial success. Which is why I'll say again that Mario Kart has over a million more sales more than Breath of the Wild. (and it released after BotW, too)

And going back to the RPGs that don't have the same relevance as Pokemon-Undertale has won game of the year multiple times. Paper Mario Sticker Star won Best Handheld Game of the Year. So if we're not going to compare Pokemon to other RPGs (the same style of game Pokemon is, while Odyssey is a platformer) because they're "not as relevant", even though they won significant awards, why bring awards into things at all?
As I have always seen Pokémon games being nominated and winning prizes for being the best games from their respective platforms.
Are you sure? I can't find any awards given to SuMo, USUM, BW (apart from a magazine one), BW2, or ORAS. Which, again, is why I don't think critics' award should be the main method of telling a video game's success-SuMo and BW are among the best selling video games of all time.

Found something to discuss on 4chan:
>Will feature a lot of sinnoh Mon including its legends as post game
>a rival like character appears half way through the story with a celebi it's implied she's a time traveler
>Megas for both gen 4 and 2 starters
>The themes for the box legends are fear and love
>Amiibo support to unlock outfits but you can purchase them in game
>starters are shafted for gen 2 and 4 starters like in x and y
>Depending on game you either get to choose a gen 2 starter or 4 starter early on
>Evil team looks happy and unbeat but are very vicious and treat pokemon bad kinda like a circus??
Time travel? Guess that's the next big topic after multiverses. I think that HGSS had time travel with an event. So maybe it'll be something small.

oh gosh game freak youtube channel in japan
and 3 days later decides close channel for plenty complaints of people who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom