• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, like I commented on a previous page, December's CoroCoro might bring something about it.

I wonder now if Meltan and his evolution will have anything to do with the movie, or whether they will appear in the anime. If it is the second option, it means that the next batch of information about the next movie may give some clue about something from the 8th generation. Otherwise, it would focus on revealing Meltan's involvement on the movie.
I missed your comment.

Well, people are or were speculating that Meltan and Melmetal are linked to Mew and Mewtwo in some way. Maybe through Ditto. And the next film is about Mewtwo. But I strongly doubt the connection. Meltan and Melmetal are ancient Pokemon and Ditto is more recent.

But the Metal Mythicals could still play a role.

Uh, sorry about that.

But as was said, there isn't much to talk about now.

And although the discussion has gone a bit far, it still has to do with what kind of approach the 8th Gen Pokémon games will have on the Switch.

I really found the discussion so far very productive, after all. And I believe we are about to come to a consensus on most matters in which it is possible to reach it.

Yeah, like I commented on a previous page, December's CoroCoro might bring something about it.

I wonder now if Meltan and his evolution will have anything to do with the movie, or whether they will appear in the anime. If it is the second option, it means that the next batch of information about the next movie may give some clue about something from the 8th generation. Otherwise, it would focus on revealing Meltan's involvement on the movie.
Yeah i saw where the conversation was coming from with comparing it to other games and how it could make Pokémon more interesting which can be continued.. Though parts (namely the part with the awards of other games) of the conversation looked like it was starting to lose relevance lol. At least it was hard to find a connection to the Gen 8 games :p

Inb4 a G8 mythical gets revealed for the next movie as a "Surprise" that no one sees coming like they did with Zeroara :p

I really think it has more to do with the fact that most of the people don't have proper knowledge about things to have standards on, and so bad things becomes popular, and really good things end up being something niche. At least, in most cases.
I don't think it's really considerate to say that people like things you don't because they're not knowledgeable enough.
Popularity and financial success are what matters least, I said so.

Using a Practical Example:

A sportsman is very popular and financially valuable (for example, the value of a football player is currently measured not only by his field competence, but also by his marketing power, which sells shirts, brings members to the club, etc.) , but it's bad.

The other is not popular, but it's good.

The third is popular, financially valuable, and is good too.

We can say that the most relevant among the three for the sport is the third, without a doubt.

And that the second is the second most relevant. Because even though he isn't famous, he will be eternalized by his conquests, and will be remembered for the next generations.

As for the first sportsman, he is the least relevant. If he leaves the sport, only his fans (who do not understand about the sport and therefore think he is good), and his club (who exploited his image financially) will miss him. Assuming he has achieved nothing, he will hardly be remembered, and objectively speaking, the sport will not miss him too.
In this scenario, financial success is entirely separate from performance-the audience is buying the shirts, not the player's behavior on the field. But a video game is selling its performance, not any unrelated product. Buying a video game gives you the video game. Giving a good performance as a video game is the only thing to be sold. (save for the occasional bundle) People can't buy products that are unaffected by poor performance-if a video game is bad, the person who bought it will know. This doesn't mean that good video games will always become massively popular, but it just doesn't make sense to say that popularity will be totally unrelated to how people remember video games. A person who buys a t-shirt of a player might not know how the player performs in the game, but a person who buys and plays a video game is going to know what the game is like. (There's some people that buy games and intend to play them later, but I doubt that's a significant part of people buying games)
If you are referring to the enhanced versions, I sure think they are. Most of the enhanced versions didn't have enough enhancements to be sold as a completely new game.
I'm referring to remakes. Third versions don't include new graphics, while HGSS and ORAS include a graphics change even from other games of their generation.
Oh, but I'm not questioning what's important/relevant to each of the people, that's totally subjective.

I am addressing the common sense of relevance, what is relevant in the video game industry. And in this context, as I have already explained in the case of the sportsman, quality is a much more important aspect than popularity alone.
But quality's effect on relevance can't occur without popularity. Even if a video game has a strong impact on a few people, if the majority of people involved in video games (be they audience, developers, or critics) don't know about it, it won't have any relevance to them.
But in that way you are over-relativizing things, and becomes impossible to have any discussion about the quality of anything.
We can still discuss the quality of something while acknowledging subjective differences. Like you said, Mario Kart and BotW have different intentions in their design. The absence of some elements from them doesn't hurt their quality, because it's not what they're intending to do. We can look at their quality of being a racing/exploration game while also acknowledging that whether a racing game is better than an exploration game is a subjective difference.
Yes, it can be said that it became popular among the authors. And that's why I said it does have something to do with popularity, but it's is not directly tied to it.

After all, several people can be influenced by those authors who have been influenced by the first author, and at the same time, not even know that they are being influenced by the firsts one. Or as often happens, don't even know who the first author is.
That's true!
If you were not referring to the RPG games that you quoted that also have won awards (Undertale, Mario Paper), then what games were you referring to?

Because Mario Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Arms, all of these competed with Botw for "best Switch game" Awards.
I was talking about BotW's award prior to the release of these game:
This is after after BotW's Game Awards 2016, Game Critics Awards 2016, and the Japanese Game Awards (the ceremony was after the release, but the awards were for games up to March 2017).
These are awards given to BotW prior to the release of these games.
I understand that these are not things you want Pokemon to be like. But because of these posts:
My mistake, that does make sense!

I don't think it's really considerate to say that people like things you don't because they're not knowledgeable enough.

You addressed only one kind of situation: where I supposedly have a knowledge of something, and another person doesn't, and so my standards about that particular thing are higher than those of the other person about it, when in fact this also happens the other way around. The way you put it may be sound a bit rude.

I meant that in the most of the time, but not all the times, really good things are not as popular as some bad things, because people in general don't have much knowledge about things to have high standards on it.

I like bad things, which I know are bad. And I sure I also can like bad things, thinking they are good, for not having much knowledge on that thing.

Like for example, some food. I can taste a different dish once in a lifetime and think that it's good, when it's really isn't. But an experienced chef will have more knowledge than I do in the preparation of that dish, and will be able to point out technical errors, and know that the dish I ate was a bad example of that kind of food.

As I would have no knowledge about that, and would never have tasted other dishes of those to be able to compare, I would not have any parameters at all, and my judgment would be probably wrong, even if I honestly have liked the taste of it.

In this scenario, financial success is entirely separate from performance-the audience is buying the shirts, not the player's behavior on the field. But a video game is selling its performance, not any unrelated product. Buying a video game gives you the video game. Giving a good performance as a video game is the only thing to be sold. (save for the occasional bundle) People can't buy products that are unaffected by poor performance-if a video game is bad, the person who bought it will know. This doesn't mean that good video games will always become massively popular, but it just doesn't make sense to say that popularity will be totally unrelated to how people remember video games. A person who buys a t-shirt of a player might not know how the player performs in the game, but a person who buys and plays a video game is going to know what the game is like. (There's some people that buy games and intend to play them later, but I doubt that's a significant part of people buying games)

Well, people usually buy the shirts because they think the player is actually good. But it is true that it still not linked directly to the performance factor, only indirectly.

Yeah, who buys and plays a video game is going to know what the game is like. But if the person has no comparison parameter, how will he know if the experience was really worth it or not? That's the point. Of course he can say that if he had fun, it was already worth it. But yet, just because the person liked it doesn't mean it's objeticvely good.

I'm referring to remakes. Third versions don't include new graphics, while HGSS and ORAS include a graphics change even from other games of their generation.

That's right. I know that. USUM also includes some graphic enhancements early in the game, if I'm not mistaken, but I still don't think it's enough to it be selling like a whole new game.

I also view Remakes as cash grabs games, depending on the case.

But quality's effect on relevance can't occur without popularity. Even if a video game has a strong impact on a few people, if the majority of people involved in video games (be they audience, developers, or critics) don't know about it, it won't have any relevance to them.

Look, this is a different way of seeing this, and that's true. But in practice, this isn't the case on the most of the time, since specialized criticism usually plays everything about the particular genre that they are specialized in. Or at least, that's what they are supposed to do.

Similarly, if a game is objectively good, even if only you know it, it doesn't nullify the merits of it.

But yeah, although the game can be very good, it must be minimally known, otherwise it will have no relevance on common sense at all...I understand what you mean, that's a good point .

We can still discuss the quality of something while acknowledging subjective differences. Like you said, Mario Kart and BotW have different intentions in their design. The absence of some elements from them doesn't hurt their quality, because it's not what they're intending to do. We can look at their quality of being a racing/exploration game while also acknowledging that whether a racing game is better than an exploration game is a subjective difference.

I got it. That's right.

But I still think that if it were to make a totally subjective analysis, we could relativize things infinitely, and we would get nowhere in the end.

I was talking about BotW's award prior to the release of these game:

These are awards given to BotW prior to the release of these games.

Oh, I see. I got it now. That's right!

To prevent the discussion from going even more further than the initial subject, I think it's fine to stay here. Thank you for the discussion. It was very interesting! But feel free to add any more last thoughts to what I said in this post, if you want to.

Inb4 a G8 mythical gets revealed for the next movie as a "Surprise" that no one sees coming like they did with Zeroara :p

Well, the next movie has to have something from the 8th generation (or it would be another pattern that would be broken).

If it seems unlikely that it will have a new mythical, it is possible then that it will have an old Pokémon gaining a new gen 8 form, like Mewtwo on Genesect and the Legend Awakened.

Last edited:
Its unlikely we get Gen 8 info when movie info comes out in December (For example, in 2015, they didn't need to market a game). If we get gen 8 info in December, that makes marketing for Lets Go a little problematic, because almost nobody is gonna care about it anymore. I think its more likely we get the first gen 8 info in February on its earliest (Which can be via movie reveal) and than a namedrop in March.

Its unlikely we get Gen 8 info when movie info comes out in December (For example, in 2015, they didn't need to market a game). If we get gen 8 info in December, that makes marketing for Lets Go a little problematic, because almost nobody is gonna care about it anymore. I think its more likely we get the first gen 8 info in February on its earliest (Which can be via movie reveal) and than a namedrop in March.
Not that I expect actual Gen 8 info in December, but we usually get the first glimpse of something related to a new generation (most notably new Pokemon) around January or February. I don't think 2 month really make that much of a difference. Besides, it was already confirmed that they are working on a new mainline Pokemon title when Let's Go got announced back in May.

Not that I expect actual Gen 8 info in December, but we usually get the first glimpse of something related to a new generation (most notably new Pokemon) around January or February. I don't think 2 month really make that much of a difference. Besides, it was already confirmed that they are working on a new mainline Pokemon title when Let's Go got announced back in May.

Yes, but usually they don't need to market a new game because of the gap year and there was three months between Pokemon Platinum and Black and White, but you can argue those are different, since they where on the same console and Platinum was a third installment, meaning there is less marketing for those games involved, since they didn't need to market the console alongside the games.

I missed your comment.

Well, people are or were speculating that Meltan and Melmetal are linked to Mew and Mewtwo in some way. Maybe through Ditto. And the next film is about Mewtwo. But I strongly doubt the connection. Meltan and Melmetal are ancient Pokemon and Ditto is more recent.

But the Metal Mythicals could still play a role.

XD Maaaan every time someone mentions Ditto and Meltan having a connection, I just have to groan- I'm positive that the only connection to Meltan that Ditto has was that one event in Pokemon GO in which they used Ditto because that is the best way you can tease a pokemon without giving it out in that game. The only other option would be to have them all uncatchable with an immediate flee rate like Abra's, and I'm pretty sure people would be pissed off and immediately lose interest or outright hate Meltan if all they can do is waste pokeballs on it. That would have been a dick move and very bad marketing for Let's Go.

XD Or Magearna- our first tease for Gen 7.

Found something to discuss on 4chan:
>Will feature a lot of sinnoh Mon including its legends as post game
>a rival like character appears half way through the story with a celebi it's implied she's a time traveler
>Megas for both gen 4 and 2 starters
>The themes for the box legends are fear and love
>Amiibo support to unlock outfits but you can purchase them in game
>starters are shafted for gen 2 and 4 starters like in x and y
>Depending on game you either get to choose a gen 2 starter or 4 starter early on
>Evil team looks happy and unbeat but are very vicious and treat pokemon bad kinda like a circus??
Time travel? Guess that's the next big topic after multiverses. I think that HGSS had time travel with an event. So maybe it'll be something small.
I think that this is fake. I highly doubt that there will be no new starters. Also, if we are getting Gen 4 remakes (which are somewhat likely) I doubt that they will allow players to catch Sinnoh's legendaries and starters in the upcoming games.

Last edited:
The thing I hate most about leaks is that most of them are on 4-chan and Reddit. Both of which I refuse to step one foot in (I wouldn't touch 4-chan with a 40 foot pole)

We’ve literally had a single leak from reddit (which covered things from other franchises too) if I remember correctly.
4chan is probably the only viable platform for leaks (fake or otherwise) due to its extremely anonymous nature and not an involved account creating process,

I too, however refuse to touch 4chan with a 40 foot pole,

I like how Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu leaked like 3 days ago, full rom and everything, and I'm just now finding out about it.
Wait, what? Is there a thread on this? Where?

EDIT: Also, how come Pokémon games keep getting leaked? At this point it's almost like a running gag.

Not sure which sites I can/should link. Apparently someone is Spain? got their hands on a physical copy early and dumped a rom which they gave to the Pokemon Centro site. That's what I've been able to piece together. They posted a bunch of proof to 4chan and uploaded a youtube video which is now down, but other youtubers have covered it. (Although it might be different people? Not sure) I haven't learned anything ground breaking about game content yet.

The thing I hate most about leaks is that most of them are on 4-chan and Reddit. Both of which I refuse to step one foot in (I wouldn't touch 4-chan with a 40 foot pole)
What?
Reddit isn't bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom