• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ideas for Let's Go Johto

Reaction score
Even though any sequels, if they exist, are at least two years away... I feel like tossing some ideas, mostly for the story. First, gameplay ideas beyond simple stuff like more rideable Pokemon and better motion controls:

1. The most popular idea for starters seems to be Marill and Togepi, and I can definitely get behind that. However, @Esserise once suggested that Pikachu and Eevee may be used again due to their popularity. Why not do both? Start with Marill/Togepi and reunite with Pikachu/Eevee later.

2. Give all three Johto starters Mega Evolutions, even if they don't debut in the traditional games first. Give them events in the vein of Ash's starters, but put some effort into them unlike in LGPE.

3. Make Johto Pokemon more common in the wild and on teams! Use auto leveling to account for the player's freedom in some Johto gyms and virtually all of Kanto.

4. Co-op turns at least important battles into double battles. It can also be done with another cartridge, but then each player is limited to three Pokemon.

5. The games are likely to follow Crystal as far as legendaries go. Suicune first, then Entei and Raikou, and finally Ho-Oh. The roamers should be much easier to find and catch with the new system, and perhaps riding Suicune could draw them near. Lugia should finally be connected to the bird trio, too.

6. Bring back the News Machine from Japanese Crystal. The GS Ball should be included, but in its original version where the item was sent (via the machine) from Kurt's mysterious granddaughter in the future. Hold catching competitions where the top 100 or so get prizes and have their names announced in the news.

7. The player can take pictures of not just wild Pokemon, but also their own Pokemon hanging out.

8. Allow two Pokemon to follow the player at a time, in addition to the two mascots. Any two Pokemon can develop a bond by spending enough time together, allowing them to teach each other moves and increase stats.

As far as the story goes, LGPE didn't have major deviations despite the new rival, but there are three things that might be expanded: The player's insertion into the world, older protagonists and rival, and Team Rocket's role.

1. The LGPE protagonists seem to be self-insert characters more than previous protagonists ever were, which implies that they weren't always in the Pokemon world. It would not be surprising if they were reincarnated into the new Johto protagonists. Or maybe it isn't reincarnation but a dream... Could the Unown be involved? Was Red the one who defeated Giovanni, after all?

2. I guess it's inevitable that Silver won't be the rival again, unless Masuda's successor knows better. At least replace him with a female rival - possibly his younger sister? He will still be Team Rocket's sworn enemy, cooperating with the player several times.

3. Following LGPE, Archer will have better characterization. He's cunning and sees the Radio Tower mission not just a way to call Giovanni, but to induce evolution all over Johto and then lull the wild Pokemon into sleep using the "anti Poke Flute". This will make them easy to catch in bulk, surely impressing Giovanni.

4. Of course, the above plan is destined to fail thanks to the player and Silver. Archer is forced to admit defeat when Giovanni fails to show up, but Ariana is livid this time around. She goes looking for Giovanni all by herself to give him a piece of her mind. Could she be Silver's mom?

5. Gold and Kris have both collected 16 badges and entered the Hall of Fame, but they have pretty unique roles now. Gold tests the player to see if they're worthy of meeting Ho-Oh and Lugia, while Kris studies the Unown and their connection to Suicune. She is amazed to see that the Unown behave oddly around the player, and suspects that something isn't right...

Last edited:
Personally, I want the starter mascots to be Dunsparce and Shuckle, if only due to the fact that they’re somewhat liked despite not being the strongest Pokémon.

In addition, I’d give Let’s Go Johto its own Mythical much like LGPE has Meltan/Melmetal.

I like all of your ideas BTW! :)

I think the mascots might be Cyndaquil and Totodile if these games are a thing at all (which I don’t think they’ll be. I’ve explained my reasoning several times on these forums)

I think the mascots might be Cyndaquil and Totodile if these games are a thing at all (which I don’t think they’ll be. I’ve explained my reasoning several times on these forums)
Ew. No. Chikorita already gets neglected enough as it is. The last thing we need is for that to get worse. Also, really? We’re just fucking the Grass Starters over now? Idc how popular they are, all three Starters should come as part of a set. One of the things I hate the most about Pokémon is how Charizard gets preferential treatment. Fuck that shit. Chiko, Cynda, and Toto belong together as a group.

If anything, it might just be as simple as Let’s Go Suicune and make it a Crystal remake.

I don't see them going back to a single version after 12+ years, but maybe. Considering how popular the current mascot starters are, I'd think they'd want to replicate that.

Last edited:
Looking at mascots... The problem is how there are so few gen. 2 Pokemon that are as iconic as Pikachu and Eevee - Let alone replace their roles just as effectively.

Think about it: In these games, Pikachu and Eevee have so many aspects taken into account: They fit cutely on the player's heads and shoulders, have animations everywhere, and have been given many customized forms - namely special haircuts, outfits, and all those HM abilities.

Think about if any Gen. II pokemon were to fill in their gaps. I guess Marill could be flexible and customized enough to perform their roles. Togepi... That is tricky, as it was known to not battle much at all, and always held via hands. Plus, there is the canon of being hached from an egg after running around with other Pokemon. I'm not sure Togepi would fit well as a mascot in its own game, due to inflexiblity in the overworld tasks.

So, who could work in Togepi's place? So far, the only 2 I could figure are Phanpy and Mareep. Phanpy has an underrated, cute overworld look that could be iconized and marketed a bit, and Ash was known to have one. Mareep would be my personal choice, as its fur is full of customizing options, and I bet most Gold/Silver players have trained one early in the games.

Unfortunately, I doubt either would win popularity contests with the GO fanbase. It is more likely they'll just call them Let's GO: Gold and Let's GO: Silver - and just have the same Pikachu/Eevee starters.

Lanstar said:
It is more likely they'll just call them Let's GO: Gold and Let's GO: Silver - and just have the same Pikachu/Eevee starters.
Those titles sound pretty silly, as "Let's Go" implies calling to someone. It's interesting that shiny Pikachu and Eevee and golden and silvery, respectively, but the titles would be a mouthful (LGGPSE).

Envoy said:
Lacking an Eevee prevo, Cleffa works as a decent enough shoutout to the original mascot of the series.
They could always add an Eevee baby, but the design would be a challenge.

Maybe Let's Go Pichu and Let's Go Cleffa or a pre-evo for Eevee (but can you outcute Eevee?). Can you get a Pikachu as a starter when Pichu is a thing?

You can easily include Silver. Maybe he is different than his OG gen 2 counterpart and tries to rebuild Team Rocket, making him the Main Antagonist.
Please no. Going against his father's legacy is a major component of his character, and we already have Archer vowing to restore Team Rocket again.

Kanto Pokemon only

-The starters are a challenge to define. They have to look cute, but also they have to appeal to older audiences, and in my opinion Togepi, Marill and Cleffa look too childish. My vote goes to Elekid/Pichu. However, my pipe dream would be Phanpy/Teddiursa, which were version exclusives, have contrasting colors AND ARE CUTE AS HELL.

-The Apricorn Balls return, which changed effects:
Heavy Ball-Works better in Huge Pokemon.
Lure Ball-Works better in bodies of water.
Friend Ball-No changes.
Love Ball-Same effect, but it makes its calculations based on your starter's gender.
Level Ball-Same effect, but it makes its calculations based on your starter's level.
Fast Ball-Works as the Quick Ball. Works better if the Pokemon is hopping or moving from side to side.
Moon Ball-Works better at night (which returns, as well as breeding)
If you get a Pokemon caught with one of these balls, you'll get the corresponding Apricorn as a prize.

-The new mythical has 2 stages again, and is based on Japanese folklore combined with a common animal.
-All Pokemon from Gen I-II are available, including legendaries and fossils.
-To get Celebi you'll need the PokeGear plus.
-On the top of Mt Silver you'll find Red, but it's a fakeout as he'll lead you to the LGPE protagonist with your team from that game if you've played the game, or the friendly rival from LGPE with his champion team if you haven't. The latter will get a canon name.
-The Go Park will be expanded with more minigames, some of them will be inspired by the Pokeathlon (which of course won't appear:rolleyes:)
-One grunt will make a random reference to Team Rainbow Rocket being on the works.
-There are Master trainers for Johto Pokemon only. Some possible names..
Chikorita-Casey
Meganium-Vincent
Typhlosion-Jimmy
Feraligatr-Marina
Spinarak/Ariados-Peter/Parker/Tobey/Andrew/Tom
Mareep-Mary
Espeon-Sakura
Murkrow-Edgar/Allan/Poe
Unown-(insert your favorite writer name here)
Wobbuffet-Yuji
Heracross-Gregor/Franz
Delibird-Nicholas/Claus
Smeargle-(insert your favorite painter name here)
Tyranitar-Ishiro
Celebi-Joe

-Whitney's Miltank will be easier to defeat, but Miltank's Master Trainer will be one of the hardest. They will say to have been trained by Whitney.

Here are some ideas I posted in an old "What if Gen II Yellow existed?" thread, some of them may not be consisted with what I posted above:

-After Silver is defeated the first time, the PC sees Ho-Oh flying in the sky.
-Misty and Brock get multiple cameos throughout the story, some of them are battles.
-Liza appears as a Cool Trainer in the Victory Road, she uses 2 Charizard.
-The GS ball is given to you early in the game, and after Kurt unlocks it you are given a Shiny Noctowl.
-With that in mind, you need the Oak's notebook item to unlock the Celebi event.
-Casey appears in National Park, and if you show her a Chikorita you will unlock a baseball minigame.
-Gary's team is similiar to the one he used in the league.
-In order to get Lugia, you have to convince Melody to play the song, and then take her to the Whirl Islands. After she plays the song, Lugia appears and "The Legend comes to life" plays in the background, both in the cutscene and in the battle.

Last edited:
-The starters are a challenge to define. They have to look cute, but also they have to appeal to older audiences, and in my opinion Togepi, Marill and Cleffa look too childish. My vote goes to Elekid/Pichu. However, my pipe dream would be Phanpy/Teddiursa, which were version exclusives, have contrasting colors AND ARE CUTE AS HELL.
I'd probably prefer Phanpy and Teddiursa, but they aren't as well known as Togepi or Marill/Pichu.

-The new mythical has 2 stages again, and is based on Japanese folklore combined with a common animal.
Ugh. I don't know why they picked Meltan for Kanto, but then most mythicals feel random.

-To get Celebi you'll need the PokeGear plus.
What would the accessory do?

-One grunt will make a random reference to Team Rainbow Rocket being on the works.
I hope it's a timeline where that doesn't happen, because it went nowhere.

-Misty and Brock get multiple cameos throughout the story, some of them are battles.
-Liza appears as a Cool Trainer in the Victory Road, she uses 2 Charizard.
-The GS ball is given to you early in the game, and after Kurt unlocks it you are given a Shiny Noctowl.
-With that in mind, you need the Oak's notebook item to unlock the Celebi event.
-Casey appears in National Park, and if you show her a Chikorita you will unlock a baseball minigame.
-Gary's team is similiar to the one he used in the league.
-In order to get Lugia, you have to convince Melody to play the song, and then take her to the Whirl Islands. After she plays the song, Lugia appears and "The Legend comes to life" plays in the background, both in the cutscene and in the battle.
Fair enough, but why would these games be more anime-inspired than LGPE turned out to be? And I don't see why the GS Ball would be dissociated from Celebi.

Ugh. I don't know why they picked Meltan for Kanto, but then most mythicals feel random.
My theory is that they designed Meltan & Melmetal as "something that could fit in Gen I", so they made a quick review of the Kantodex and defined the pattern as "simple, artificial, gooey, with an evolution made of multiple entities". The irony is that neither Meltan & Melmetal feel Gen I-like enough because of their multiple dominant colors (2 for Meltan and 3 for Melmetal) whereas most of Gen I only have one, and their extra details (Meltan's tail, Melmetal's 3 nuts per arm).
What would the accessory do?
I've had a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure:
-Pokemon Go Plus + Notifications of daily events.
-What the in-game Pokegear did, but in real life. If you use it while playing the game, it will affect the game. (Yes, that would mean you'd be paying extra for something that 19 years ago was free).

Fair enough, but why would these games be more anime-inspired than LGPE turned out to be? And I don't see why the GS Ball would be dissociated from Celebi.

I'm just throwing ideas around, it would be nice. And given the last few years' treatment of mythicals, I wouldn't expect any extra lore for our onion fairy.

My theory is that they designed Meltan & Melmetal as "something that could fit in Gen I", so they made a quick review of the Kantodex and defined the pattern as "simple, artificial, gooey, with an evolution made of multiple entities".
That is hardly a pattern except for the simplicity part. Artificial would be fine with the right context, which Melmetal lacks as they made it 3,000 years old.

I've had a couple of ideas, but I'm not sure:
-Pokemon Go Plus + Notifications of daily events.
-What the in-game Pokegear did, but in real life. If you use it while playing the game, it will affect the game. (Yes, that would mean you'd be paying extra for something that 19 years ago was free).
I don't know about the accessory, but the in-game PokeGear should definitely be free. It doesn't do anything revolutionary in this day and age.

The Poke Ball Plus is probably the best way to level up. Maybe its successor will also increase the shiny rate or something.

I'm just throwing ideas around, it would be nice. And given the last few years' treatment of mythicals, I wouldn't expect any extra lore for our onion fairy.
They should at least not use the GS Ball for anything random.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom