• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

OHKO Moves+No Guard in Battle Tree

Patrick Haines

Lone Scribe for the Lord of Time
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted or had success running No Guard+OHKO moves in the Battle Tree for Doubles? I have only done the preliminary research so far, but this is what it might look like...

Potential No Guard Users
-Golurk or Machamp with Leftovers or Focus Sash, since they are (arguably), the bulkiest options and they need to stay alive
-Mega Pidgeot
-Duoblade with Eviolite

Obviously, Bulk would be the biggest concern with all of them, so running positive Def/Sp. Def Natures and IVs would be mandatory. They would all need to know Protect as well, since they don't really need to do any damage.

Potential OHKOers
Rapidash-Horn Drill-Speed 105
Dugtrio-Fissure-Speed 110/120 (Alolan Form Difference)
Crygonal-Sheer Cold-Speed 105
Mega Pinsir-Guillotine-Speed 105
Gliscor-Guillotine-Speed 95 (Would Need Choice Scarf)
Suicune-Sheer Cold-Bulk

Obviously, I went Speed all the way (save Suicune). Keep the No Guard alive and hit as much and as fast as possible with OHKOs. If No Guard is holding Leftovers, Focus Sash could guarantee two KOs. Choice Scarf manages potential Speed problems, ect.
The biggest problem would be if I lose the No Guard, but Pokémon like Suicune and Mega Pinsir have the tools to do other kinds of damage too.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

Lando-T does get Intimidate, Fissure and access to Role Play. You could have Mega Pidgeot or another Pokémon with access to a free protect and get No Guard on Lando. Additionally you might want to use machamp for things like the stall or other ice types that heat wave from pidgeot might not kill.. Lando does also get rock polish for speed

Has anyone attempted or had success running No Guard+OHKO moves in the Battle Tree for Doubles? I have only done the preliminary research so far, but this is what it might look like...

Potential No Guard Users
-Golurk or Machamp with Leftovers or Focus Sash, since they are (arguably), the bulkiest options and they need to stay alive
-Mega Pidgeot
-Duoblade with Eviolite

Obviously, Bulk would be the biggest concern with all of them, so running positive Def/Sp. Def Natures and IVs would be mandatory. They would all need to know Protect as well, since they don't really need to do any damage.

Potential OHKOers
Rapidash-Horn Drill-Speed 105
Dugtrio-Fissure-Speed 110/120 (Alolan Form Difference)
Crygonal-Sheer Cold-Speed 105
Mega Pinsir-Guillotine-Speed 105
Gliscor-Guillotine-Speed 95 (Would Need Choice Scarf)
Suicune-Sheer Cold-Bulk

Obviously, I went Speed all the way (save Suicune). Keep the No Guard alive and hit as much and as fast as possible with OHKOs. If No Guard is holding Leftovers, Focus Sash could guarantee two KOs. Choice Scarf manages potential Speed problems, ect.
The biggest problem would be if I lose the No Guard, but Pokémon like Suicune and Mega Pinsir have the tools to do other kinds of damage too.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

Ok, first off... No Guard doesn't work like that. It won't make every move from every Pokémon always land, only the ones used by or against the No Guard Pokémon. As in, this Pokémon's teammates can still miss when targeting foes. From your post, it sounds to me like you were unaware of that.

What you need to make this idea work is a move on the other Pokémon that switches or copies abilities. Either Skill Swap or Role Play will do this, the former swaps abilities between the two Pokémon and the latter changes its user's ability to match the target's. I would recommend Role Play because it doesn't remove No Guard from your Machamp/Golurk/Doublade/Mega Pidgeot, only copying it to the OHKO move user, but either one will work for the tactic you're needing.

For combos, Landorus's two forms get Role Play and Fissure as Fluttershy mentioned (I would add Landorus-I's access to Gravity for removing the Flying type's immunity) and there's also Tauros with either Fissure or Horn Drill, though it needs to be a Tauros transferred from a Gen I Virtual Console game because both of these moves were TMs in the first generation (Horn Drill was TM07, Fissure was TM27). With the same requirement, Machamp itself can use No Guard Fissure with Role Play.

There's only one fully evolved Pokémon with access to Role Play and Guillotine, which is Bisharp. One possible advantage is being able to avoid the Fake Out flinch by starting with Inner Focus.

Role Play/Horn Drill users consist of the aformentioned Tauros and... Mew, who could additionally use Fissure too. Both need a transfer from VC, meaning this Tauros unfortunately can't have Intimidate. They're both fairly fast however, so that's a plus to them.

The Role Play/Sheer Cold users are Alolan Ninetales and Abomasnow. Although Abomasnow is on the slow side, these two could additionally set up a hailstorm with Snow Warning to break a Focus Sash should they ever show up.

Finally, Smeargle's almost-infinite movepool makes it able to pair Role Play with any OHKO move, an option that may be especially effective should Moody get the chance to increase Smeargle's Speed. It and Mew are also able to learn Gastro Acid to nullify Sturdy.

If you're cool with Skill Swap, then you also have Slowbro, Slowking and Wormadam-Sand to work with, all three of these getting an OHKO move with Skill Swap but not Role Play. Again though, Slowbro and Slowking (through Slowpoke) need Gen I VC. All three of them are also slow but Mega Slowbro definitely has staying power. One benefit to Skill Swap is the chance to remove a foe's Sturdy without needing an extra moveslot for Gastro Acid.

Hope this helps! I used Pokémon Database's moveset searcher to gather this info.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom