• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My quest for the elusive Dragonite in White took an hour. With only a 1% chance of appearance, it was one of the rarest ever. Also, I think that you have to fish for it.

Wonder which Pokemon will be next to be as rare as that.

I think rare encounters need to be different than simply a low percent chance to appear, though. They should be more like Bagon and Gible where they are in a place that is hard to find or get to. To me, it feels more rewarding and not like I simply got lucky.

I understand.

But it would not be the same thing...

Since everyone gave examples, I'll give some too.

I took about 1 hour to find Eevee in B2W2 (if I remember well it was in Castelia), 1 hour to find Mawile in Glittering Cave in XY, over 1 hour to fish Feebas in SM, more than 4 hours to find a male Snubull in HGSS, and the list goes on...And you know why I remember them so well? Because it was difficult.

It was exactly the long time spent on those routes, the difficulty in finding them and catching them, which made them special, and very rewarding to use them in the story of the game.

You know, it is part of the good level design of the game, if the player invested more hours into exploring the route, they should be rewarded for it.

And yet, other players can still get these Pokémon by trading on the GTS, or by Wonder Trade, or many times, even in other later areas of the game with a better chance to encounter. The latter is perfect, some players will get the Pokémon in the early game (with no needing to trade), while other players will only get it later.

In addition, it increases the game world. It was expected to have rare creatures everywhere, and not only in difficult places to access.

Removing it would be removing a very fun part of the game to me, and to many other peoples as well. It would take even more depth out of the games.

They are like shinys, finding shinys can be considered "torturous" to some, but it's a fun part of the game for others, and that also adds depth. And as I said, other players can still get these Pokémon trading through the GTS, or through Wonder Trade, or many times, in other later areas of the game. So I'm still totally against the idea of remove them.

What you have suggested would not be the same thing.

Last edited:
Can it really be said to be exploring a route if you're just running around in the same patch of grass, though?

Yeah, it's grinding, it's an essential part of a JRPG. It's an aspect of the game that adds depth to every route.

Or are you going to tell me that you agree with Masuda on removing the Battle Frontier, because it was only repetitive battles? Likewise, Masuda said that people nowadays would not have time for the Battle Frontier. But that isn't an absolute truth. And if you want to please everyone, you should not remove the content, you should just leave it optional, some people will have time for it, some will not.

And as I explained previously, there are other ways to get these rare Pokémon.

Last edited:
You know, it is part of the good level design of the game, if the player invested more hours into exploring the route, he should be rewarded for it.

I believe that the examples I provided do the same. Bagon, for example, is only accessible after the player gets waterfall. When this happens, some players will remember the waterfall and go back and explore the cave further until they reach the depths and find Bagon. Gible, for example; the secret cave entrance is hinted at by a hiker on the route. Some players will stay on the route and try to find the entrance and as a reward, they will find Gible. In both scenarios some people might not invest the time to backtrack or stay on the route pressing up under the bridge.

The problem I have with rare encounters in an easily accessible area is that:

1. The player could find the rare encounter immediately; they didn't do anything special, they just walked on a route that they had to be on. They simply got lucky.

2. The player typically only knows that the rare encounter is there if they looked up a guide before hand. This is not always the case, of course. If they bring back something similar to the habitat list B2W2 had, I think it would be acceptable. If the player knows that there is one encounter left on the route, they can spend the time trying to find it if they want. I think its unreasonable to ask anyone to spend potentially hours trying to find a rare encounter that may or may not be there.

Even still, I just don't like the random factor to it. I understand the argument that normal routes should have some kind of rare pokemon too, but I've found shinies in less time than it took me to find a pokemon with a 10% encounter rate. There's got to be a better way.

Yeah, it's grinding, it's an essential part of a JRPG. It's an aspect of the game that adds depth to every route.
That... doesn't add depth, it just makes it annoying. Depth would be giving you something to actually do and explore on the route while looking for that rare pokemon. I gotta agree with @Minya_Nouvelle that there has to be a better way to do it.

I didn't find grinding satisfactory at all in the games I have played. It was more a "finally! It's over!" feeling for me, where I can get over with that crap and move over to something better, or just play another game altogether for two or three weeks because the grinding sessions are exhausting. The whole Eevee nightmare almost made me give up on Moon, almost.

I believe that the examples I provided do the same. Bagon, for example, is only accessible after the player gets waterfall. When this happens, some players will remember the waterfall and go back and explore the cave further until they reach the depths and find Bagon. Gible, for example; the secret cave entrance is hinted at by a hiker on the route. Some players will stay on the route and try to find the entrance and as a reward, they will find Gible. In both scenarios some people might not invest the time to backtrack or stay on the route pressing up under the bridge.

Yes, they should put stuff like that too, but they're more tied to action-adventure games. Grinding is an essential part of JRPG games.

The problem I have with rare encounters in an easily accessible area is that:

1. The player could find the rare encounter immediately; they didn't do anything special, they just walked on a route that they had to be on. They simply got lucky.

But that's a good thing. That adds to the suprise factor of the game.

It's the same case as the critical hits. They have not been removed yet because it is one of the things that makes the battles more exciting, because with them, the battles are never predictable.

2. The player typically only knows that the rare encounter is there if they looked up a guide before hand. This is not always the case, of course. If they bring back something similar to the habitat list B2W2 had, I think it would be acceptable. If the player knows that there is one encounter left on the route, they can spend the time trying to find it if they want. I think its unreasonable to ask anyone to spend potentially hours trying to find a rare encounter that may or may not be there.

You are totally right here. In fact, I think there must be something to indicate that the Pokémon inhabits that place, too. Even if it is through the dialogue of a NPC.

(There is something that indicates that, actually. They are the common trainers of the routes. Trainers generally use Pokémon that it's possible to encounter on these routes that they are in. But I don't think that's a good indication, after all, because that's not always the case.)

Even still, I just don't like the random factor to it. I understand the argument that normal routes should have some kind of rare pokemon too, but I've found shinies in less time than it took me to find a pokemon with a 10% encounter rate. There's got to be a better way.

But there are already better ways. Sometimes the same Pokémon appears again elsewhere later during the game, and with a greater chance of encounter.

And there's also the GTS (and that's one reason why it should not become something unique to Nintendo Switch Online Subscription).

That... doesn't add depth, it just makes it annoying. Depth would be giving you something to actually do and explore on the route while looking for that rare pokemon. I gotta agree with @Minya_Nouvelle that there has to be a better way to do it.

Yeah, I agree, but there are already better ways, as I mentioned.

And of course it adds depth. In a collecting JRPG game, Pokémon with small odds of encounters everywhere...How would that not add depth, after all?

I didn't find grinding satisfactory at all in the games I have played. It was more a "finally! It's over!" feeling for me, where I can get over with that crap and move over to something better, or just play another game altogether for two or three weeks because the grinding sessions are exhausting. The whole Eevee nightmare almost made me give up on Moon, almost.

But grinding is part of JRPGs. It's something that's been part of Pokémon since its inception (if you go to analyze, many things have been developed around it, actually).

Last edited:
Just because it's part of it from the start doesn't make it any less annoying, or that it should stay. I'm not saying that we should get things easily, just don't make it boring and tedious, which are some words you could use to describe grinding. Doesn't help that most of the other JRPGs generally give you underwhelming rewards for it (ex: Was it worth grinding to kill Ozma in FFIX?). And again, the surprise factor disappears when you have to grind so long for it.

Just because it's part of it from the start doesn't make it any less annoying, or that it should stay. I'm not saying that we should get things easily, just don't make it boring and tedious, which are some words you could use to describe grinding.

That's a totally individualistic thought, and can be destructive to the industry. "I don't like it, so they should remove it", that's not how things works. Games aren't made just for you.

You have to think:
"Is this a recurring feature/a characteristic of the genre of this game I'm playing (maybe you don't like the genre)?"
"Is this a recurring feature/a characteristic of this series I'm playing (maybe you don't like the series)?"
"Does that add anything to the game?"
"Is that able to please to others players?"
"Does that keeping me from progressing in the game?"
"Are there ways to get around this?"

And then come to a conclusion.

You are using the same criticized Masuda thinking about the Battle Frontier.

Likewise, many GO players entering the series now, from Let's Go, may find "annoying" having to spend 20 minutes doing soft reset to get good natures, and then say Game Freak should pull them off.

Or find the Battle Facilities "annoying and tedious", because they are just repetitive battles, and then say Game Freak should remove them.

Or that completing Dex in the main series games is "boring", because it's just repetitive catches, and that they're not using those Pokémon, so they would not have any greater purpose for them (in their view), and then say that Game Freak should remove it.

And it goes on, we could stay here all the day (Breeding, Shiny, Abilites, IVs, Egg moves, TMs, and so on), until all the depth of the games were questioned and removed, because literally everything can be "annoying" or "tedious" to someone.

And then the game becomes a lifeless corridor where you just walk and get to Elite 4. And that's it.

And that's why developers should bring options (if they really feel that they need to please everyone...), and not remove the things. Doing the latter, they aren't even "pleasing to everyone", to begin with. They would be pleasing only to the group that asked for the removal of that thing only.

Of course, I exaggerated in the example mentioned above (of the game becoming a corridor). We need to have good sense. Still, in our specific example (about rare encounters), I have already shown that there are other alternatives to get these Pokémon. And why it adds to the game world, and why it adds depth to the game, and that is something important and recurrent of the series and of the genre. For all those reasons, I don't think that specifically that thing (rare encounters) should be removed.

But I agree there must be improvements about that. Include a better indication that you can find that Pokémon there (besides the regular trainers, and the Pokédex's vague data) would be a good improvement, after all.

I'm not saying that we should get things easily, just don't make it boring and tedious, which are some words you could use to describe grinding. Doesn't help that most of the other JRPGs generally give you underwhelming rewards for it (ex: Was it worth grinding to kill Ozma in FFIX?). And again, the surprise factor disappears when you have to grind so long for it.

But there are other ways to get the said Pokémon. Also, it isn't preventing you from progressing in the game, it is an optional challenge and reward.

And the surprise factor doesn't disappears, after all...We were talking about cases where the player finds the rare Pokémon inadvertently.

They should add both the Habitat List and the Dex Nav back. Both would work well and give the player the necessary info to catch Pokemon. But encounter rates should be added as well so as to know how rare some Pokemon are.

I agree with that. Rates like "Super Common (60%+), Common (60%~35%), Uncommon (35%~20%), Rare (20%~10%), Super Rare (10%~3%), Extremely Rare (3%-)" should work.

In addition, leave the GTS free of the monthly Nintendo Switch Online Subscription fee.

Thus, it would not damage the game world, nor its depth, and would really please to everyone.

Edit
(Is this*...free of the monthly Nintendo Switch Online Subscription fee...*)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's grinding, it's an essential part of a JRPG.
It's not even grinding in this case, because you're not fighting them. It's just restarting encounters over and over. (Besides, if grinding is really essential to a JRPG, doesn't that contradict your claim that it's an optional challenge?)
It's an aspect of the game that adds depth to every route.
Again-if it's the same patch of grass encountered over and over again, how is that adding depth?
Or are you going to tell me that you agree with Masuda on removing the Battle Frontier, because it was only repetitive battles? Likewise, Masuda said that people nowadays would not have time for the Battle Frontier. But that isn't an absolute truth.
I think there's a pretty clear difference between a facility where you fight multiple different teams of Pokemon, and running around in one patch of grass, triggering encounters and running away from the ones you don't want, for the sake of getting one Pokemon.
And if you want to please everyone, you should not remove the content, you should just leave it optional, some people will have time for it, some will not.
I mean, if the appeal is just the surprise of it, someone could always run around with their eyes closed until they encounter a Pokemon.
It's the same case as the critical hits. They have not been removed yet because it is one of the things that makes the battles more exciting, because with them, the battles are never predictable.
Not quite. The element of chance in Pokemon battles means that someone might gain an unexpected advantage. But the element of chance in wild encounters doesn't affect the final outcome when you're seeking out a specific Pokemon.
You have to think:
"This is a recurring feature of the genre of this game I'm playing (maybe you don't like the genre)?"
"This is a recurring feature of this series I'm playing (maybe you don't like the series)?"
"Does that add anything to the game?"
"Is that able to please to others players?"
"Does that keeping me from progressing in the game?"
"Are there ways to get around this?"

And then come to a conclusion.

You are using the same criticized Masuda thinking about the Battle Frontier.

Likewise, many GO players entering the series now, from Let's Go, may find "annoying" having to spend 20 minutes doing soft reset to get good natures, and then say Game Freak should pull them off.

Or find the Battle Facilities "annoying, and tedious", because they are just repetitive battles, and then say Game Freak should remove them.

Or that completing Dex in the main series games is "boring", because it's just repetitive catches, and that they're not using those Pokémon, so they would not have any greater purpose for them (in their view), and then say that Game Freak should remove it.

And it goes on, we could stay here all the day (Breeding, Shiny, Abilites, IVs, Egg moves, TMs, and so on), until all the depth of the games were questioned and removed, because literally everything can be "annoying" or "tedious" to someone.
The issue with Masuda's reasoning is that he chose to scrap it, not that he saw a problem with it at all. When people have a problem with a feature, it can be a good thing to examine how it could be improved.
  • Go Players aren't the only people annoyed by natures, they've been criticized by plenty of players in the past. And we just recently got a way to ask for to guarantee a certain nature, in addition to having Synchronize's field effect and the breeding effect of the Everstone. Game Freak didn't eliminate natures altogether, but they still helped players so that they wouldn't have to soft reset as much.
  • We've had the Shiny Charm, Masuda method, and Poke Radar added so that shinies can have their chances increase.
  • TMs were changed so they weren't one-time use.
  • IVs got the IV checker and bottlecaps.
There's still room for improvement on plenty of these, but they did work improve them.

It's the same thing here. Nobody's asking to remove the concept of rarities entirely, just to make it more engaging rather than purely a game of chance. The examples that Minya_Nouvelle gave still had their Pokemon appear in an easy-to-reach location that someone could repeatedly trigger an encounter in if they really loved the feeling of hours of comMons before the one they were looking for. Letting rare Pokemon become easier to find in another location just makes it to where it's not a requirement. You've been saying that people should still have the option to play as they like, but keeping encounters the way they are doesn't give people the opportunity to actively seek out rare Pokemon as opposed to just trying repeatedly in one patch of grass.

But there are other ways to get the said Pokémon.
The options you gave were GTS and Wonder Trade, which require another player having one of these Pokemon that take hours to get and being willing to give them away, or finding them later in the game, which doesn't always happen.

Just because it's part of it from the start doesn't make it any less annoying, or that it should stay. I'm not saying that we should get things easily, just don't make it boring and tedious, which are some words you could use to describe grinding. Doesn't help that most of the other JRPGs generally give you underwhelming rewards for it (ex: Was it worth grinding to kill Ozma in FFIX?). And again, the surprise factor disappears when you have to grind so long for it.
i find grinding so relaxing and i never understood can be bored kill the same monster over over again the point its grind for ozma after all i m power leveled also in pokemon the most people denys grinding in rpg but its neccesary

the same thing its sort the moves in pokemon with power i never liked when someone have moves randomlu located without any purpose

I just went through a massive grinding session in FR. Lowest level was 46 and highest level was 51. Needed to get the team to 55. It was the worst. Really hate grinding.

It's not even grinding in this case, because you're not fighting them. It's just restarting encounters over and over.

The issue is that people usually only use the term "grinding" just for when they are "levelling". That's wrong. I took this citation from Wikipedia:

"In video gaming, grinding is performing repetitive tasks for gameplay advantage. Many video games use different tactics to implement, or reduce the amount of grinding in play. The general use of grinding is for "experience points", or to improve the characters level. However, the behavior is sometimes referred to as pushing the bar, farming or catassing."

(Besides, if grinding is really essential to a JRPG, doesn't that contradict your claim that it's an optional challenge?)

No. Even if the player doesn't stay on the route to catch the rare Pokémon, it will still be there in the game for other players who want to do so.

And still, the first player will still have to pass through other grinding moments in the game, even if they can be also optional (it depending on the series and on the game).

Stays on the route to catch the rare Pokémon is the "optional challenge and reward", and not the grinding characteristic of the genre and the series, that will still be there in the game, anyway.

So you could ask me, "But if you're even saying that there are other moments of the game involving grinding, other than rare encounters, what would be the problem of removing them specifically? There would still be grinding in the game, after all."

And I would say that yes, that would be right. It would not change the genre of the game just by removing it (rare encounters). That's not what I said.

The problem is the reason why that would be removed, to begin with (remove it just because some players found the grinding "annoying").

It would not make sense to remove them because of that reason, because, in addition of having others peoples that not find it annoying but funnny instead, it is also a characteristic of the genre. If some people don't like it that much, to the point of not playing the game because of its existence, we can certainly say that the said person simply doesn't like the genre, and that should not even have bought the game, to begin with (just to make it clear, I'm using just a random example.)

Another thing we can point out is that, like some people can finds the grinding of rare encounters "annoying", many others can find the grinding of the Battle Facilites "annoying" as well, as the Breeding, and many other things that involve grinding in Pokémon (In fact, as I said, Pokémon is a game where a lot of things were developed around grinding, so we would stay here all the day, and in the end, there would be nothing left but a lifeless corridor game, or other genre's game).

So, in order to judge whether they should remove it or not, we must question those questions that I have mentioned previously (of my previous post) and take some others things into consideration, and not simply judge solely and exclusively by our personal taste on it.

Again-if it's the same patch of grass encountered over and over again, how is that adding depth?

I repeat the question I asked Oriden: It's a JRPG collecting game. How would rare encounters not add depth to it, after all?

I will use a example, and I understand that this is probably not your case. And that you just find the rare encounters boring. In fact, this example doesn't have to do with me either, because I don't usually go through the main story catching everything (If I want to/need to catching everything, I usually make it later, and get many of them from GTS).

But using a totally imaginary practical example, of two kind of players who are playing the game for the first time, and want to play through the main story by completing the Pokédex as well:

Players on the "most casual side of the spectrum" will go through the routes without catching these rare Pokémon (perhaps one or other by luck).

Players on the "most hardcore side of the spectrum" will go through the routes catching them all.

The two of them played the same game, and had fun with it. The difference of the game used by the example from other games, is that it is able to please the two audiences, because it has depth in it.

That was just one example. But it is logical, it's a game of collecting monsters, some are rarer than others. Would there be some way to that not add depth to it, after all?

I think there's a pretty clear difference between a facility where you fight multiple different teams of Pokemon, and running around in one patch of grass, triggering encounters and running away from the ones you don't want, for the sake of getting one Pokemon.

Both of them are grinding.

In one you would be facing different teams to achieve some objective (an item that costs BP, maybe).

In the other you would be entering into several wild battles with different Pokémon, which you can simply run or not (as is my case, which I always took advantage of it for leveling my team).

But both of them are grinding. Even though you find one more boring than the other.

I mean, if the appeal is just the surprise of it, someone could always run around with their eyes closed until they encounter a Pokemon.

I don't defend the permanence of rare Pokemon encounters in the game just by the possible surprise factor that it can provide. I was just answering the Minya_Nouvelle question.

Also, your example of simply "closing your eyes" is totally unaffordable to the situation. It's the same as saying people asking for a difficulty setting option: "if you just want a more difficult game, try playing without your hands" or things like that, it just doesn't make any sense.

Not quite. The element of chance in Pokemon battles means that someone might gain an unexpected advantage. But the element of chance in wild encounters doesn't affect the final outcome when you're seeking out a specific Pokemon.

As I said, I don't defend the permanence of rare Pokemon encounters in the game just by the possible surprise factor that it can provide. I was just answering the Minya_Nouvelle question.

But we were talking about cases where the player finds the rare Pokémon inadvertently.

The issue with Masuda's reasoning is that he chose to scrap it, not that he saw a problem with it at all.

I really don't see the practical difference between the two (regarding the subject of this discussion, of course).

When people have a problem with a feature, it can be a good thing to examine how it could be improved.

Being improved is different from being removed. Like I said, I'm also totally in favor of improvements, as well.

• Go Players aren't the only people annoyed by natures, they've been criticized by plenty of players in the past. And we just recently got a way to ask for to guarantee a certain nature, in addition to having Synchronize's field effect and the breeding effect of the Everstone. Game Freak didn't eliminate natures altogether, but they still helped players so that they wouldn't have to soft reset as much.
They have improved it, they have not removed it, I'm in favor of improvements.

Also, in my example I cited Go Players who could supposedly ask to remove them.

• We've had the Shiny Charm, Masuda method, and Poke Radar added so that shinies can have their chances increase.
  • TMs were changed so they weren't one-time use.
  • IVs got the IV checker and bottlecaps.
There's still room for improvement on plenty of these, but they did work improve them.

They also have improved them, they have not removed them.

It's the same thing here. Nobody's asking to remove the concept of rarities entirely, just to make it more engaging rather than purely a game of chance. The examples that Minya_Nouvelle gave still had their Pokemon appear in an easy-to-reach location that someone could repeatedly trigger an encounter in if they really loved the feeling of hours of comMons before the one they were looking for. Letting rare Pokemon become easier to find in another location just makes it to where it's not a requirement. You've been saying that people should still have the option to play as they like, but keeping encounters the way they are doesn't give people the opportunity to actively seek out rare Pokemon as opposed to just trying repeatedly in one patch of grass.

It wasn't what was being said on the previous pages. Some people would like it to be removed and replaced, or just removed.

And no, they are not the same thing. The example is different.

By doing that, they would not be improving the system like it was done with the IVs, Natures, or any other example that you have mentioned, but removing it and replacing it with another different thing. Although both of them having similar purposes, they are still different, one from the other.

The first is a grinding characteristic, consists of repetitive actions of the player. Also, is something that doesn't require much attention from the player.

The other is a feature more tied to games that focus more on exploration, and requires a high spawn of the attention by the player all the time.

I like both. And as I said, I would like them to add more features as the later example in the games (after all, the games of Pokémon also has "adventure" in its genre). So adding the two, even if it would be for the same Pokémon, would be the ideal scenary.

But I don't want to, and I don't see the need to completely remove the rare encounters. The Pokémon nowadays are already more than devalued. Even with extremely rare encounters, you rarely see anyone interested in adding another person on the 3DS as a friend just to exchange common Pokémon, other than thoses with specific Natures or specific Abilities, for example. Of course, things like power save have made it becomes even worse.

The point is that, even if we don't consider things like power saves, it's still not a real problem to be removed, after all. Even though some people find it boring, some others think it's part of the fun of the game. It's something optional, it will not stop you from progressing on the game. Besides all that, you can still get it through GTS, or Wonder Trade, or like many other times, just catch it in later places of the game with higher odds of encounter (just like Mawile in XY).

I don't see the slightest need to further facilitate it, besides may be adding other catching options (such as Minya's suggestion), or adding more information about the chances of that Pokémon appearing on that spot (as suggested by PurplePegasus and Minya).

And look, even if would be to make a totally replacement of rare encounters by the Minya's suggestion (with the same time and energy requirement of rare encounters, actually, and not just as the Bagon and Gible's example), they are different things as I said, so there would still be issues, like:

In games like Kalos, where almost in every route has a Pokémon with a rare chance of encounter, it would be simply impossible to substitute it by the mentioned suggested system and still maintain the same difficulty and challenge. Because all the routes would need to be complex and it would totally convolute the game.

It would be like all the routes were a dungeon. I don't see that happening, and don't want it to, because it would ruin the game's enviroment and immersion. It would look like a bad MMO or something, rather than like a realistic Pokemon world.

Also, there are encounter rates and situations (like my hunt for male Snubull in HGSS) that simply could not be reproduced by the system of the mentioned suggestion. To be able to reproduce it with the same requirements of amount of time and effort spent, it would require huge dungeons or quests, larger than the Bell Tower.

And still, even if they actually did a lot of huge dungeons or quests like we've never seen before (with some ones with 4 hours + of duration), like I said, they would still be different systems (grinding usually doesn't even require that much of attention), so to some people, it would be a lot more tiring to catch these Pokémon by that than just by grinding. (I think I would like it, actually. I loved completing the B2W2 dex to capture Haxorus. But I'm saying for myself only.)

The options you gave were GTS and Wonder Trade, which require another player having one of these Pokemon that take hours to get and being willing to give them away, or finding them later in the game, which doesn't always happen.

Of course, there will always be players who can catch them in the community (even if by luck). And if we would talk about the multiplayer factor, as you pointed out, that is one of the few things that we still have in the games that add some value to the Pokémon in the trades.

Also, if the rare encounters were completely replaced by Minya's suggestion, many people would not like to go until the end of the dungeon/quest as well, and these people would also have to deal with it by looking for someone else in the GTS, in the same way.

Unless we ended with the concept of rares Pokémon in the games, which would be even worse.

Edit
(Edited some major english errors, and some little things to better express myself.)

Last edited:
I've seen someone on YouTube pointing out that, in multiple houses in the Let's Go games, there is a calendar featuring what could be the next region. It looks like the UK turned on its east side.
Is this the same map from a few pages ago? If so, then it doesn't look much like the UK. But that could just be GF taking some creative liberties with the map.

Is this the same map from a few pages ago? If so, then it doesn't look much like the UK. But that could just be GF taking some creative liberties with the map.
I don't know. I haven't seen that post. But I know that it's a calendar that can be seen in a few houses.

For the record, my personal guess is that the next region will be based on Spain.

I think rare encounters need to be different than simply a low percent chance to appear, though. They should be more like Bagon and Gible where they are in a place that is hard to find or get to. To me, it feels more rewarding and not like I simply got lucky.
The one downside to that though would be that it might be difficult to properly integrate rarer pokemon in your theme with that method. I do like the idea though, finding Bagon and Gible was rewarding. Clearing conditions to get to new areas and find less common pokemon there is a good incentive to explore. Iirc though Bagon needed both surf and waterfall, which means you can't access it until you've got 8 badges, and by that time you'll probably have a full team that is 10+ levels higher than bagon.

so I hope they'd properly balance such a feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom