• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

[USER=86517]@VelVoxelRaptor
Thanks for the leak! However, the fact they mention starter stats and the separation of Elite Four and the League is suspicious, it sounds like it is taking inspiration for the anime. Also, why would the League tournament only use Ace Trainers? That sounds boring. If they added the rest of the Trainer classes from this game it would at least be more varied.[/USER]

Np, yea it does seem a bit too detailed to be real. Most of the Sun/Moon Leaks where very simple, and it’s a bit early as well but it’s still an interesting read. It’s been a while since Leaks where actually discussed on the Leak thread as well...

The leak mentioned your rivals would fight you as well in the league. Also maybe Ace trainers are a bit more varied this time around?

-Bagon at Route 3.
Actually, if you go to Kala'e Bay and walk the grass there, bagon becomes fairly common at an encounter rate of 10%. Here it actually works, the poor things are just trying to fly...

Skitty only has a 2% encounter rate in RSE.

Seedot and Nuzleaf in Emerald also only have a 1% encounter rate, though both can appear as a swarm pokemon, making their appearance much more likely. Come t think of it, skitty can swarm too. Outbreaks aren't all that common though...

And don't forget about munchlax, which isn't just found through a specific mechanic (sure, that's cool), but only 4 out of 21 trees in the game can have one, which are randomly selected when the save file is created, and even then there is only a 1% chance of the munchlax group being selected. So that's worse than simply having to go into the tall grass.

Dustox and beautifly also have a 1% encounter rate each in Platinum and 2% depending on the version in DP (which each being exclusive to a copy). That said, wurmpl, silcoon, and cascoon all are fairly commonly encountered and you only have to train them to level ten to evolve them into their final stage.

And undoubtedly there are more examples across generations. And sure, the example of the wurmple line is not that terrible, cause it's only the final evolution that is rare. But others such as skitty are only found in a single route, so encountering the remains rare. I mean, if the encounter rare is higher elsewhere, sure. Like with bagon in Alola, I always thought that was a pretty clever easter egg.

As long as lures apply only to specific Pokemon, I can see it working. If it isn't, then it would be pointless in the first place.

I think "Miracle Twins" is a latios and latias TCG set

It could be something else, but it's probably that. I heard duel pokemon has been a big thing in tcg recently

Apparently the Eevee Tamagotchi is hinting at new Eeveelutions

Three new eeveelutions seems too good to be true. For now, I choose to believe that there is a rare chance of hatching a Pichu.

Alternatively, I thought it was already said that there's a team rocket Eevee and a ditto Eevee in the game. Could the mystery squares be referring to these?
I think you're right. Three new eeveelutions does seem too good to be true and it was already said that there's a team rocket and ditto eevee so it's most likely those.

From Serebii:
"Following a leak earlier this month, the Eevee Tamagotchi collaboration has been confirmed. This comes in the form of the Tamagotchi Nano and allows for you to raise an Eevee and, based on your care, it will evolve into one of its eight evolutions. You can also get various different Eevee including one in a Team Rocket outfit and even a Ditto Eevee. There are two different shells for the Eevee Tamagotchi. One brown and standard Eevee one and one "Colourful Friends" version which includes images of the evolutions. This continues on from the Pocket Pikachu virtual pets of the early 2000s and the Pokémon mini title Pokémon Breeder Mini in providing a Pokémon Virtual Pet
These come out on January 26th and cost 2,300¥ each"

Considering that it comes out in January, I highly doubt that it would be teasing new eeveelutions so far ahead of Gen 8's release.

And grinding is not the main feature of an RPG game.

Take a look at the Wikipedia article on RPG games. Grinding is never even mentioned as one of the main characteristics of an RPG.

It's ok, I still think that grinding is a recurring aspect of RPGs. And even more characteristic of JRPGs.

I'll just friendly keep disagreeing with you on this.

And, as I stated before, this is not always an option. Look at Dhelmise in SuMo-only one location with a 1% encounter rate. There was no alternate way to obtain it beyond trading.

I could say that in Dhelmise's example, it's actually very easy to farm it tho. Dhelmise has a 10% chance of appearing in the fishing spots if they are bubbling. And just like the case of Dratini, there is also a very easy spot to farm them. On the fishing spot on the boat at Seafolk Village, you just have to stay getting in and out of it. You can catch 1 in less than 10 minutes by that way.

But I have to agree that this way we would be cheating, after all it should not be played that way...So I agree with that. In Dhelmise's case, they should have putted it on Island Scan or somewhere else too.

If you understand that my point isn't to argue for the total removal, why do you keep replying to me as if I am? You've already "just pointed it out" dozens of times. Nobody has responded to these posts and said that they should be removed entirely. What difference is it going to make to say it again?

Maybe there was a miscommunication in some parts where you thought I was referring to you (or implying that you wanted them to completely remove the rare encounters), when I wasn't. And in some others parts, I thought that you still had not understood that I knew that it wasn't your point, but of some other people, and that's why I approached some of the things you have questioned (so, tl;dr I was trying to show you why I had approached such things previously).

I understand that's what you meant. My point is that you're arguing against the idea of having extra places to explore on routes because they would be too much. But you've said that rare encounter rates should be included, even if nobody is pleased by them, because they add depth, and you say that this depth comes from the potential to please.

Yes, if you look at the example I gave to prog rocker in the previous post you will understand what I mean. More dungeons would please me, but not so many, like in the example that we are discussing. They still have to look natural to the game world.

By the same logic, adding places to explore in routes would also add depth, because even if you don't like it, it still has the potential to please players.

Yes, it would add depth. But as I said, the problem would be that it would not seem like something natural to the world.

This is what seems to be a contradiction to me.
  • You say that rare encounters are good because they have the potential to please players, and so they add depth. Even when other players dislike it, because they can choose not to spend hours trying to get a specific Pokemon (and not get that Pokemon as a result),
  • But you say that adding dungeons would be bad because they would oversaturate the world, even though they would also be optional and have the potential to please players.
You keep saying that the potential to please means that encounter rates should stay, even if they have elements other players dislike, but you say that extra places to explore shouldn't be added even though they have the potential to please, because they have some elements that you don't like.

Add depth and potentially please hardcore players are still different things tho. As I said, even if it didn't please to anyone, it would still add depth, and it's because it adds depth (which is an objective fact) that consequently has the potential to please to hardcore players.

About the dungeons, I get your point now. But the dungeon problem isn't just that I don't want to access them (I would like to, actually). The dungeons's problem (of the dungeons that we were using in the example, ie much large dungeons everywhere around Kalos) is that, it would ruin the game environment. It would seem unnatural to the game world.

So the problem with dungeons isn't that "I don't like dungeons", but what I have previously mentioned.

You are the only one advocating for the time investment to be the main issue. Nobody else here is asking for that. You can't argue against people

I have to admit that we've been arguing for so long, that I have to go back sometimes to see what was the context of some things that I or you talked about.

But in this case, what happened was that at some point in the discussion, you had said that putting the Pokémon on little encounter rates and putting them on quests/dungeons was the same thing, because the purpose was the same (make some Pokémon rare).

So I tried to explain why, although they have the same purpose, they aren't the same thing in practice. Since you also had previously quoted my post where I explained why I was against the removal of rare encounters, I may have thought that you were somehow trying to defend the total replacement of rare encounters, so in that post, I tried to explain the difference between the two (Pokémon on little encounter rates and on quests/dungeons) and also why a total replacement would not work:

"And look, even if would be to make a totally replacement of rare encounters by the Minya's suggestion (with the same time and energy requirement of rare encounters, actually, and not just as the Bagon and Gible's example), they are different things as I said, so there would still be issues, like:"

And it was quoting the "issues" that I quoted the case of Kalos and dungeons that we were discussing little now. Perhaps because of a miscommunication, we have continued to discuss it for no reason (since you aren't in favor of a total replacement, as well).

And back to the previous post that you have quoted now. that's why I said "But then you'd be running away from what I was addressing there at the very beginning of the discussion." Because that was from there that the "equivalent time thing" come from (from a hipothetical example of a total replacement).

You're still not answering my question. My question is that if something unrelated to game design can produce the same result, why should the fact that it's unrelated to game design be a problem? "Because it's not about game design" doesn't answer that at all.

Because that would be bad game design. You should not make games easy by expecting people to adopt outside habits (in real life) to make it more difficult (like blindfolding, or playing without hands).

Just as you should not do the games and expect people to adopt the external habit of "closing their eyes" to be surprised.

That would not be a game thing, it would be something that you (the player) would be doing in real life.

Sorry, I don't know what else to say about it. If you still disagree, I think I will just friendly keep disagreeing with you on this.

It makes more sense for the world to naturally be shaped like a straight line than it does for it to have areas off the beaten path? Have you ever been in a forest of any kind?

As I said, look at the example I used answering to prog rocker in my previous post. Remembering that we are still talking about that my first example about XY, so we are talking about giant dungeons everywhere, some of them lasting up to 4 hours.

I already said that I think competitive Pokemon are harder to get than those with low encounter rates. You said that I thought the opposite, and I quoted exactly where I said that competitives were harder to get, and asked if you read my post all the way. Then you say that you had read my post carefully, and still say that I'm suggesting low encounter rates are harder to find than competitives, even when I already said that I believed the exact opposite?

As I said, I was referring to this sentence:

When someone's trading, they either supply a Pokemon with a good nature/Ability/IVs, which requires more grinding on their part, or the person trading the rare Pokemon is willing to give it up for a lesser value Pokemon, which already devalues them.

Yes, you have said that competitive grinding is more difficult. But after that, you implied that rare encounter Pokemon is more valuable than competitive Pokémon, and so, I don't understood why you think so. That was the issue.

And it's an achievement totally separate from the game. The game itself gave no reward to the player for getting through faster than others.

That's right. But it don't deproves my starting point.

The rest of the game wasn't just about the time invested, it was about the battles the player won. If it was primarily about time investment, then time would be the more important factor.

Okay, I finally understand what you want to mean.

As in the initial subject I was talking about difficulty in the games, and said developers use time as a measure, you're wanting to tell me that it's not just the time, right? That skill can also be used as a measure.

And that one thing can be difficult without necessarily requiring large amounts of time invested. I understand.

And that's right. Time isn't the only measure.

However, in the example of the players who reached the elite 4, the two things counted (time for one and time and skill for the other). In fact, in most cases it will be important time invested and skill, because a game that someone could finish in 10 minutes just because it has skill would also be boring.

And still, as we were talking about breeding specifically, I was saying that I would be against removing much of the grinding of breeding (which requires time, not skill).

I understand what you mean, and I agree. But in that example (of breeding), there would be no way to add skill, or at least, I can't think of anything.

But I understand what you mean, and that's right.

Then we can take an example of a new player who beat a gym leader in three tries, and another new player who beat them in five. It's not the specific outcome that I'm referring to, it's the fact that a longer playtime has no in-game benefits.

Time requirements are imposed to add difficulty. Skill requirements are as well. And speaking of the initial subject (breeding), as I said, I don't see how to add another measure of difficulty other than time. That's what I meant.

You've been arguing that time investment is the main way that difficulty is implemented-have you not heard of how long breeding takes?

Honestly, I think that after the improvements and changes we had in the sixth and seventh generation, it's already good.

There could still be more improvements like you said (which will consequently make it a little easier), but regarding the time, I don't see why decrease it much more. Once you get everything you need in the game (Abras with Natures, Dittos 6 IVs - of course - Destiny Knots, Power items and all the rest), it takes time enough, I think. So yeah, I think that it is already quite easy to do.

Nobody's said it's as hard as finding competitive Pokemon, just that it's frustrating.

And would not people be avoiding the frustration if they tried to get them by trades? If it doesn't have good IVs, or if it doesn't is shiny, I rarely see anyone interested in anything, actually.

I remember doing a Pokémon giveaway thread in another community, and the list even had some rares ones on it, and no one really cared about. I think it's not because competitive Pokémon may be harder to get, but because almost nobody really cares, because whether the Pokémon is rare or not, it's still quite easy to get it by trade, because of breeding and other things (mainly because of breeding, I guess. No matter how rare the Pokémon is, it takes 5 minutes for you to have 2 or more eggs of it).

It means that they dislike the only methods of gameplay they have available. Why is that irrelevant to the subject of adding another way to play?

In that case, it isn't really irrelevant. I just wasn't sure at the time (in the first post we're talking about, not the previous one) that you were just talking about adding new options. That's why I approached the subject, and still then, as I mentioned in the previous post, at the end of the post, I said that I thought that in that issue we thought similarly.

Actually, if you go to Kala'e Bay and walk the grass there, bagon becomes fairly common at an encounter rate of 10%. Here it actually works, the poor things are just trying to fly...
I just realized that it was a reference to their Pokédex entries. Good catch! Although kinda troll-ish if you don't see it coming, not helped by the fact that there's almost no reason to ever go to Kala'e Bay and that the cave that leads to it is kinda hidden (I missed it completely my first time, even with Serebii's Pokéarth at hand). I guess it's fixed in USUM since they guide you to it?

So a new leak surfaced not too long ago, not sure if it was covered yet. It goes as follows:

• New Region is based on New Zealand’s North Island.
  • Grass Starter is a cute gastropod with high HP and Defence.
  • Fire Starter is an Ungulate/Goat with a little flame beard and high Speed.
  • Water Starter is a Crab with long, elongated eyes, High Defence and Special Attack.
  • Cover legendaries are a Water/Psychic Maungouroa Shark And Water/Dragon Taniwha.
  • There are around 80 new Pokémon including Yungoos as the regional rodent, and a Normal/Ground Kiwi as the regional bird.
  • Very diverse environment, the enemy teams plot is based on the misuse of land, deforestation, polluting the water, etc.
  • The professor studies geological formations and is a fossil enthusiast who is friends with campion Daigo (Steve).
  • You have to Find, Battle, and Recruit 4 strong trainers (out of 8) to form the Elite 4.
  • The Pokémon league is now based on rounds like the Pokémon World Tournament where you must fight Ace Trainers and your Rivals.
  • There are 2 rivals in the game. One is your childhood friend with a team focused on speed and power. The other rival is the opposite Protagonist who happens to be the little sibling of the professor. Their team is focused on status and boosting.
  • A new version of the PSS will be implemented in this game.
  • There are new Pokerides in the game. We get Dewgong instead of Lapras, Fearow instead of Charizard, Rhydon instead of Machamp, and Bouffalant instead of Tauros.

The only red flag I see here is the mention of Yungoos in New Zealand because New Zealand actually has laws against Mongoose being in the country.

The other red flag I (potentially) see is the starters. The first form of starters are always cute, and likeable. Not sure how they'd make a crab with elongated eyes cute. But if anyone could do it, I'd say it's GF. I like the sound of this leak, a fossil professor would be a neat change. And more Steven is always good.

Last edited:
The other red flag I (potentially) see is the starters. The first form of starters are always cute, and likeable. Not sure how they'd make a crab with elongated eyes cute. But if anyone could do it, I'd sat it's GF. I like the sound of this leak, a fossil professor would be a neat change. And more Steven is always good.
You saying Dwebble isn't cute?

The other red flag I (potentially) see is the starters. The first form of starters are always cute, and likeable. Not sure how they'd make a crab with elongated eyes cute. But if anyone could do it, I'd sat it's GF. I like the sound of this leak, a fossil professor would be a neat change. And more Steven is always good.
Well, they managed to make an anglerfish cute and managed to make Paras look cute, even though it is based on a pretty disturbing parasite.

So a new leak surfaced not too long ago, not sure if it was covered yet. It goes as follows:

• New Region is based on New Zealand’s North Island.
  • Grass Starter is a cute gastropod with high HP and Defence.
  • Fire Starter is an Ungulate/Goat with a little flame beard and high Speed.
  • Water Starter is a Crab with long, elongated eyes, High Defence and Special Attack.
  • Cover legendaries are a Water/Psychic Maungouroa Shark And Water/Dragon Taniwha.
  • There are around 80 new Pokémon including Yungoos as the regional rodent, and a Normal/Ground Kiwi as the regional bird.
  • Very diverse environment, the enemy teams plot is based on the misuse of land, deforestation, polluting the water, etc.
  • The professor studies geological formations and is a fossil enthusiast who is friends with campion Daigo (Steve).
  • You have to Find, Battle, and Recruit 4 strong trainers (out of 8) to form the Elite 4.
  • The Pokémon league is now based on rounds like the Pokémon World Tournament where you must fight Ace Trainers and your Rivals.
  • There are 2 rivals in the game. One is your childhood friend with a team focused on speed and power. The other rival is the opposite Protagonist who happens to be the little sibling of the professor. Their team is focused on status and boosting.
  • A new version of the PSS will be implemented in this game.
  • There are new Pokerides in the game. We get Dewgong instead of Lapras, Fearow instead of Charizard, Rhydon instead of Machamp, and Bouffalant instead of Tauros.

The only red flag I see here is the mention of Yungoos in New Zealand because New Zealand actually has laws against Mongoose being in the country.

Sorry if you already have said that and I'm missed it, but where is this leak from?

I could say that in Dhelmise's example, it's actually very easy to farm it tho. Dhelmise has a 10% chance of appearing in the fishing spots if they are bubbling. And just like the case of Dratini, there is also a very easy spot to farm them. On the fishing spot on the boat at Seafolk Village, you just have to stay getting in and out of it. You can catch 1 in less than 10 minutes by that way.
Even if it takes less time, it's still a good few minutes spent doing gameplay that's not enjoyed.

And Dhelmise isn't the only example. What about Passimian, Oranguru, Mimykyu, or Jangmo-o? They all have 5% encounter rates and are only found in one location, and they don't have the benefit of bubbling water to boost their rates.

Maybe there was a miscommunication in some parts where you thought I was referring to you (or implying that you wanted them to completely remove the rare encounters), when I wasn't.
If you weren't referring to me, why did you quote my posts and respond to them with arguments as if I were asking for the total removal? Who else are you responding to in your post?
And in some others parts, I thought that you still had not understood that I knew that it wasn't your point, but of some other people, and that's why I approached some of the things you have questioned (so, tl;dr I was trying to show you why I had approached such things previously).
I didn't understand that you knew it wasn't my point because you kept responding to my posts as if it was. What's the point in approaching my argument as if it's a different argument? I already know that you don't want rare encounters removed entirely. I said I wasn't arguing for that multiple times. Why repeat the arguments at all?
Yes, if you look at the example I gave to prog rocker in the previous post you will understand what I mean. More dungeons would please me, but not so many, like in the example that we are discussing. They still have to look natural to the game world.
You're the one assuming that they're going to look unnatural. Nobody has asked for dungeons to appear and look unnatural.
Yes, it would add depth. But as I said, the problem would be that it would not seem like something natural to the world.
And that's exactly my point. You're saying that you don't think it would look natural, and so it shouldn't be implemented. Then you argue that, even though some people dislike running through the grass for Pokemon, it should still be included for the people who do enjoy it, because the complaint of it being annoying isn't enough to remove it.

I'm saying that you should apply the same logic to the idea of expanded areas as you do to the idea of running the grass.

Even though you might dislike how they could look (something that you're saying based totally on how you think it might be implemented), other people would enjoy the added way to obtain Pokemon, and it shouldn't be withheld from people who would enjoy it just because you might not like how it looks.
The dungeons's problem (of the dungeons that we were using in the example, ie much large dungeons everywhere around Kalos)
The idea of large dungeons everywhere in Kalos came from you. Nobody else was suggesting large dungeons in Kalos, we were discussing hidden areas (that might not even be the size of a dungeon) being implemented in various regions.
That would not be a game thing,
"Because it's not about game design" doesn't answer that at all.
That's exactly what I said didn't answer my question. If you can't explain further than that, fine, but don't tell me I "know that's not how it works" if you're not going to bother explaining it to me.

Yes, you have said that competitive grinding is more difficult. But after that, you implied that rare encounter Pokemon is more valuable than competitive Pokémon, and so, I don't understood why you think so. That was the issue.
In the same post where I said that competitive grinding was more difficult, I also said this:
My example of a rare Pokemon being traded for a lesser value Pokemon was for the cases of trades that are more like gifts, such as the giveaways Bulbagarden has, or players that have breedjects they intend to hand out.
I made it pretty clear that I was not referring to competitive Pokemon when I said lesser value Pokemon.

That's right. But it don't deproves my starting point.
I didn't say that to disprove it, I said that because speedrunning is separate from what the game itself does, and so it doesn't support your starting point.

Time requirements are imposed to add difficulty. Skill requirements are as well. And speaking of the initial subject (breeding), as I said, I don't see how to add another measure of difficulty other than time. That's what I meant.
If the only way to add difficulty is to require players to run around in circles, I think that raises the question of whether it even needs difficulty at all.
Honestly, I think that after the improvements and changes we had in the sixth and seventh generation, it's already good.

There could still be more improvements like you said (which will consequently make it a little easier), but regarding the time, I don't see why decrease it much more. Once you get everything you need in the game (Abras with Natures, Dittos 6 IVs - of course - Destiny Knots, Power items and all the rest), it takes time enough, I think. So yeah, I think that it is already quite easy to do.
6 IV Dittos? Those were pretty much impossible to obtain prior to SOS battling, and even with SOS battles, now, they're still incredibly difficult to obtain. You'd need a chain of 30 Pokemon before getting a Ditto with 4 perfect IVs, and then you'd have to catch it to see if it had the remaining two IVs perfect as well. (That's also assuming the goal is perfect IVs-someone who's breeding for a specific Hidden Power has no way of guaranteeing a 30 IV) Getting an Abra with every nature would require catching 21 different Abras (since some natures have the same effect), and checking to see if they had the right nature, which you can only see after you've already caught them. From there, breeding still takes repeated tries, because the Destiny Knot only passes down five of the IVs of both parents, meaning it's still a 50/50 chance that it'll be the desired IV and not the one from the other parent, and that only five IVs are guaranteed. (You could breed two 6 IV parents together and still only have a 1/32 chance of getting a 6 IV child) That's pretty far from easy.
And would not people be avoiding the frustration if they tried to get them by trades?
The point isn't just to avoid frustration, but also to provide an enjoyable way to obtain the Pokemon. Even if a quick trade is simpler, it doesn't mean it's more fun for the player.
. I just wasn't sure at the time (in the first post we're talking about, not the previous one) that you were just talking about adding new options.
Your response came from your previous post, not the first one. Why are you responding to my post as if I'm asking for a removal if you know that's not the case?

About the Elite 4 thing, it could be similar to the whole “Forming the Pokémon League” thing in Sun/Moon but different. Or a mistranslation, I’d the leak is to be believed.
But if they're forming the league, why does the player still participate in the tournament? And how could a mistranslation lead to two different storylines?

Last edited:
They could have us complete some kind of puzzle or boss dungeon that boosts species/type encounter rates either permanently or for a set time. That's another option. It's like the tile puzzles that activate the Unown in Gen 2.

I got a shiny Magikarp before I could get a Dratini in SM. And they had the nerve to hide the thing as a 1% encounter in the bubbling spots only, then in a specific cave, so you had to keep going in and out of the cave in order to have another chance to fish for it. And not just flipping in and out of the door. You had to surf all the way to the back of the cave for the single patch it could appear on, then surf all the way back to the door to reactivate the spot. That's not fun by any stretch of the imagination. I know it's there, and I've put in the work to get it, but in the end, I have to just wait on the game to give it to me. Contrast Wimpod who, while definitely annoying, required a single tool (Tauros's run) and plain skill to encounter. If you flubbed, you got a consolation prize from it in the form of a Nugget, so you didn't have to walk away empty handed.

I don't have a problem with a rarity level on par with Nidoran-F vs. Nidoran-M, or Clefairy, or Abra, or something along those lines. You scrounge around in the grass for a while, and you eventually come across it. The 1% stuff that they've been doing lately is pretty rough, and the 1% under a special condition is just trolling. If the failed encounters gave you a Potion or 3 Pokedollars or something, the dead time could count as productive. A boost tool, more creative encounter styles, puzzles, sidequests, or anything to allow the player to either control or influence that encounter rate would be beneficial. I'm all for secret areas that just have the creature relatively openly available, too. Heck, Ultra Space was better than just running around waiting for a 1% proc.

The Gambler's Fallacy is important to note here, I feel. You don't get closer to a proc just because you activate a billion encounters. Each one is still 1%. GF has been trying to come up with ways to put padding between those 1% encounters though, which makes things more tedious than necessary. They need to focus on more creative ways to encounter special Pokemon than just dumping them on the 1% end of an encounter list, then making it take longer and longer to sift through encounters. Spiritomb was an interesting attempt. Talk to 100 people online or something. Not entirely viable for every player, but it made the rare Pokemon unique. Headbutting/slathering trees was interesting, especially since headbutting caused the encounter to start with the Pokemon asleep, giving you an advantage with the capture. (Slathering needed to take less than 6 hours, because good lord.) Rotom in the TV in the haunted house was good. Bagon at the top of the waterfall was good. The Elgyem becoming more common the higher you climbed the tower. The Clamperl on the seafloor. These are things that build up the world and stick in your mind in a positive manner. (Well, IMO.) Spending 2 days trying to catch Milotic in a rippling water spot is not.

Every encounter doesn't need to be 30%-50%, but I strongly feel that 1% is a bit overkill. If they stop the padded 1% encounters alone, I'll be overjoyed.

This. I'd love to see more dynamic encounter methods to find some of the rarer Pokemon. Simply giving them ridiculously low encounter rates is just tedious, it'd be more fun if you found them by taking certain actions instead of just wandering around the area waiting for it to spawn. Doing things like finding Pokemon in hard to reach places, completing sidequests to cause new Pokemon to appear, and interacting more with the environment would be great ways to hide rarer Pokemon. The Ranger games did these sorts of things a lot, the main games should really take a page from those games.

Sorry if you already have said that and I'm missed it, but where is this leak from?
The usual place, if you know what I mean.

But if they're forming the league, why does the player still participate in the tournament? And how could a mistranslation lead to two different storylines?
You could just be helping them form the league before participating in it. Maybe the champion sees potential in you or you are the “chosen one” like Sun/Moon, and you have to find strong trainers for them. And the Chinese Leak said a plot line in the game involves you starting a gym and then the elite 4 appear. But that’s not what happened in Sun/Moon, it was just their own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom