• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of the themed district. Part of what hurt Lumiose (aside from all the pointless areas) was that everything looked the same. If the streets had more variation between them, it would be a lot easier to distinguish where you're going.

Also, a simpler design style. Hau'oli is huge in size, but it's easy to navigate because you follow one big road. Castelia has has similar-looking streets, but it's easy to navigate the city and figure things out.

I probably need to watch the episode, but I think its possible this is just a nod to Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes = London.

Is Sherlock well known outside of English speaking countries?
The character himself is known in Japan if the Japan only Ace Attorney spinnoff featuring him is any indication.

A UK region? I'm not sure if GameFreak would ever hint something for the anime, but if they did do that... than damn, I personally would not mind a UK region... just give us more ice pokemon please.

A UK region? I'm not sure if GameFreak would ever hint something for the anime, but if they did do that... than damn, I personally would not mind a UK region... just give us more ice pokemon please.
Well, the anime has already done weird things before. For example, they gave Spaceworld!Blue's character development to Gary.

Spaceworld!Blue development? (Sorry I'm drawing a blank on this lol).

That is true, the anime has done weird things in the past, and GameFreak does lot trolling their fans. It does beg the question... what would they call the region?

Spaceworld!Blue development? (Sorry I'm drawing a blank on this lol).

That is true, the anime has done weird things in the past, and GameFreak does lot trolling their fans. It does beg the question... what would they call the region?
You remember how in the anime Gary stopped being an idiot and is now Prof. Oak's aide? That was going to be in Pokémon 2. He was even going to be the one that gave you your starter, but all of that got cut.

EDIT: Here's a tweet from one of the guys working in the demo's translation that shows the unused dialogue.

View: https://twitter.com/obskyr/status/1061683951977291782

Oh! Okay, that actually makes a lot of sense then! I didn't know that there was dialogue cut from the game or that Gary/Blue would have been the one to give out starter Pokemon in PKM 2.

It's a really cool tidbit!

He is known in my country, but I guess it's because most people know about him through parodies and the Robert Downey, Jr. movies. I don't know how many have actually read the books.

This is pretty much the extent of what I was asking. I doubt many people here have read the books here either, but his name his name is synonymous with detective and 100's of tv shows have made a Sherlock parody or reference at some point, so it's kind of hard to get away from. Interesting to hear that the parodies exist in other countries too.

The character himself is known in Japan if the Japan only Ace Attorney spinnoff featuring him is any indication.

I forgot about that game. I also just remembered that I've always viewed Professor Layton as "Sherlock-esque". I've never played the games though, so I don't know how true that is.

Yep, Sherlock is pretty famous. I don't watch his shows or read his books, but I know that Sherlock Holmes is this smart detective aided by Dr. Watson. He smokes a pipe and uses the word "Elementary" as a synonym for "Obvious," right?

Yep, Sherlock is pretty famous. I don't watch his shows or read his books, but I know that Sherlock Holmes is this smart detective aided by Dr. Watson. He smokes a pipe and uses the word "Elementary" as a synonym for "Obvious," right?
Except he only said "elementary" once. In a short story that is kinda obscure (as in "only known to Sherlock fans") if I recall correctly. I wonder how the "elementary" thing started.

Ha, that's funny. I didn't know that. "A Study in Scarlet" (the one the phrase comes from) is the only Sherlock book I've read, so I didn't think anything of it. The phrase was probably made popular by one of the old movies from the 30's.They made a movie of A Study in Scarlet in 1933.

Anyway. I think I've derailed the topic enough for one day.

It does beg the question... what would they call the region?

Pastoria? I'm not sure. Naming conventions are all over the place for regions. What are things associated with England/UK other than King Arthur and rain?

Edit: nevermind. I just remembered why Pastoria sounds familiar; its a city name in Sinnoh

Last edited:
I'm all about that slug/snail starter, if that rumor has any merit to it.

The only thing that has me a little suspicious is that the starters tend to be "safe", easily marketable creatures. The goat fits the bill for that, but not the crab or slug, even though they have strong potential to be likeable characters in general.

Hey, I found more possible starter artwork from the usual place.

water_lizard.jpg
fire_goat.jpg
grass_bunny.jpg

...I... what? The grass bunny looks pretty cute but the other two...?

The lizard kinda looks like Treecko, the bunny looks cute, but the goat looks weird.
Was thinking the same about the lizard.

The lizard looks like it'll become possibly Water/Ghost since it looks like it is using Shadow Ball.

The goat isn't clear. The bunny looks like it is using Poison powder which is a Grass type attack. So maybe a hint towards Grass/Poison.

Was thinking the same about the lizard.

The lizard looks like it'll become possibly Water/Ghost since it looks like it is using Shadow Ball.

The goat isn't clear. The bunny looks like it is using Poison powder which is a Grass type attack. So maybe a hint towards Grass/Poison.
I think the lizard is poison. And I think the bunny is fairy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom