• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Pokemon Timeline (Basically) Solved!

EmpoleonProd

Empoleon Master Trainer
Reaction score
So for years and years, many of us on here, myself included, have tried putting together accurate timelines for the Pokemon games, up until ORAS, this was actually very easy to do, thanks to this tweet here:
DmzTLDh.png

This tweet was from after the release of XY but before the release of ORAS, and it quite simply reads: Kanto/Hoenn -> Johto/Sinnoh -> BW -> BW2/XY.

However, ORAS effectively retconned XY out of the same universe as every game prior to it. When XY came out, Mega Evolutions were treated as something of ancient times known to select few people that has more or less been rediscovered and popularized, starting from the Kalos region. Up until XY, every game could exist in one universe, but back to that retcon, Zinnia very clearly states that the firing of AZ's Ultimate Weapon 3,000 years ago happens in one universe but not the other, the Hoenn she references that doesn't have Mega Evolution or Infinty Energy is almost surely referencing RSE. This of course, by extension, takes XY out of the old universe and puts it into the new universe.

Before I continue on, I'll give the universes dedicated names, the one where the Ultimate Weapon was fired is typically referred to as the Megaverse, the other is one nobody can really agree on, I'm going to call it the Standardverse for lack of a better name, but Advancedverse, Non-Megaverse, Classicverse and a few others are all other names given to this one. Technically, one could consider Gen 1 and 2 a separate universe from Gen 3-5, but the events are so close to each other that you're better off thinking of these as alternative events that could've happened in the same universe, much like SM and USUM both take place under the Megaverse umbrella, but are themselves separate versions of events. Basically what I'm saying is RBY = FRLG, and GSC = HGSS, either one can exist in the Standardverse, although some prefer to split them into a third universe called the Classicverse.

So now we have at least one established universe, the Standardverse's events go as follows (remakes and third versions override initial versions for simplicity's sake):

FRLG/Emerald -3 years-> HGSS/Platinum -~5 years-> BW -2 years-> BW2

The gap between Gen 4 and Gen 5 is never confirmed like the others are, but through a few details, one could come to the conclusion that it's around 5 years, give or take a couple more. The Team Rocket Grunt from the Power Plant story in the Johto games is now married and has a young child who would appear to be age 4-6. Assuming he left Kanto immediately after this with his wife, this is well within the realm of a 5-7 year gap. Also, the two Team Magma and Aqua Grunts that fell in love that are also referenced in ORAS now live together in Unova as well (Unova is apparently where criminals go to live a normal life, fun fact).

So now we move onto the Megaverse, this is where things get interesting, mainly because not all regions are yet represented, but Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee have helped us create more accurate gaps and help fill in the timeline, there are also MANY things referenced in LGPE to help tie it into the rest of the Pokemon World.

Prior to LGPE, many would've told you something like this for the Megaverse timeline:

Origins/ORAS -3 years-> Johto remake/Sinnoh remake -5-7 years-> Unova1 remake -2 years-> Unova2 remake/XY -2 years-> SM/USUM.

However, LGPE has changed more things, just like ORAS did. This time, Red, Blue, as well as a new character, Green, have all set off on their journeys maybe 2-3 years before you as the player do, I don't think this pushes LGPE up past the Johto games, however, as Sabrina mentions after you rebattle her that "another trainer like you won't appear for another 3 years" which is a clear reference to the PC in the Johto games. I think, rather, Red and Blue started their journeys three year earlier.

Mina also appears in LGPE, with concept art stating she's 13-15, as shown here:
index.php

and since she's 19 in the Alola games, since Trial Captains cannot be 20 or older, this condenses what would otherwise be a 12-14 year timeline down to probably a 7 year timeline maximum. And the reason I say 7 and not 6 is because Mina could be nearing 20 in SM, which can effectively make the timeline 7 years rounded up from 6 years and 11 months, or whatever.

Anyways, the new timeline thanks to the new information, goes something like this:

LGPE/ORAS -3 years-> Johto remake/Sinnoh remake/Unova1 remake -2 years-> Unova 2 remake/XY -2 years-> SM/USUM

This is exactly 7 years (minus a month or two), which fits all the details we have, Red and Blue are clearly in their early 20s in the Alola games, and this timeline puts them at either 21 or 22, depending on whether you think they still started their journey at 11 or if they're 11 in LGPE. This condensing down to 7 years would also help the case of Wally, who's 10 in ORAS but hasn't changed too drastically from then to his appearance in the Alola games, he'd be 17 in SM which isn't out of the realm of looking a little bit more on the youthful side.

Other aging characters include:

Red and Blue: 13-14 in LGPE, 20-21 in SM/USUM.

The reason I think the gaps can change from the Standardverse to the Megaverse is quite simple, the events don't have to stay chronologically the same. So the Rocket Grunt, which was the only reason people forced a huge gap from Gen 4 to Gen 5, might not even exist in the same way in the Megaverse, completely eliminating a need for that gap. LGPE is proof that major differences can happen, as Red started his journey earlier relevant to Team Rocket being taken down, by a good 2-3 years.

Lastly, we know the gaps from the Unova, Kalos, and Alola games thanks to various in-game texts. Grimsley in the Alola games is stated to be 2 years older than his last appearance, which would be BW2, which is supposed to take place alongside XY, which is confirmed by Sina and Dexio to take place two years before the Alola games.

So there you have it, until other information confirms otherwise, this is basically the timeline of the Megaverse, remember, the Megaverse is also a multiverse, where every game and every person's copy of that game serves as another parallel universe to one another, for example, in my opinion, USUM don't override SM, they're just separate branches off of each other. Just as ORAS are just two versions of similar events, and so on and so forth.

Credit where its due, Bird Keeper Toby, who's channel is linked here, has done more to cover this topic than just about everyone, he himself is more subscribed to a 20 year timeline instead of a 10 year timeline because of Porygon's Dex entries stating it was created 20 years ago, but nothing in LGPE ever suggests that Porygon is a brand new Pokemon, just that it's a newer and artificial Pokemon, so I disagree with him on that bit, but I respect him for leaving the 10 year timeline theory open for discussion and not downright dismissing it, but I think this 7 year timeline needs a bit more exploring.

Last edited:
Mina also appears in LGPE, presumably as a 10 year old, and since she's 19 in the Alola games, since Trial Captains cannot be 20 or older, this condenses what would otherwise be a 12-14 year timeline down to probably a 10 year timeline maximum.

She's not. Her concept art says she's 13-15.

FF745A73-283B-4EB5-A0CA-56D7134D0794.jpeg

If we do try to fit LGPE in the general timeline (Kanto/Hoenn (3 years)> Sinnoh/Johto (?? years)> Unova 1 (2 years)> Unova 2/Kalos (2 years)> Alola), then it'd have to be between the gap between Sinnoh/Johto & Unova 1, since there'd be a 4-6 year gap between LGPE & Alola.

The games do say that it's been years since they went on their journey iirc, so they definitely didn't do that 1 year ago or a few days ago. One way we could think of it is that depending on the game timeline they go for, one group of kids would encounter & defeat Team Rocket throughout their journey while the other group doesn't, other events such as Koga joining the E4 & Blue becoming the Gym Leader would also happen early or later in whatever timeline as a result.

If not that, then it can straight up be it's own timeline taking up the same spot Kanto always does.

She's not. Her concept art says she's 13-15.

If we do try to fit LGPE in the general timeline (Kanto/Hoenn (3 years)> Sinnoh/Johto (?? years)> Unova 1 (2 years)> Unova 2/Kalos (2 years)> Alola), then it'd have to be between the gap between Sinnoh/Johto & Unova 1, since there'd be a 4-6 year gap between LGPE & Alola.

The games do say that it's been years since they went on their journey iirc, so they definitely didn't do that 1 year ago or a few days ago. One way we could think of it is that depending on the game timeline they go for, one group of kids would encounter & defeat Team Rocket throughout their journey while the other group doesn't, other events such as Koga joining the E4 & Blue becoming the Gym Leader would also happen early or later in whatever timeline as a result.

If not that, then it can straight up be it's own timeline taking up the same spot Kanto always does.

It IS just concept art though, concept meaning it's not necessarily final. I don't think the games ever mention how long ago Red, Blue, and Green started their journeys, but for LGPE to move up, that would move Johto up, and then the timeline gets REALLY funky because we have next to no parallels to the Standardverse like we used to have.

However, one common theory back in the day of ORAS was that ORAS took place 5 years before XY, I suppose this Mina thing could reignite that old theory. It had something to do with a swimmer in the ORAS demo I think that he said he was going to swim to Kalos, and a swimmer in XY saying it took him five years to swim to Kalos from Hoenn. So I guess if we can SUPER condense the timeline, we could go LGPE/ORAS -3 years-> Johto/Sinnoh/Unova -2 years-> Unova2/XY -2 years-> SM/USUM.

This puts Mina at 13 in LGPE and 19ish in the Alola games.

I actually really like this theory now, I think I'm going to edit the OP. Technically the Rocket Grunt with the kid is no longer canon for this Megaverse, since Red didn't take on Team Rocket, why would anything else have to stay the same. Credit to you for that one lol.

Edited OP, new adjusted timeline accounting for Mina is a 7 year timeline with the gap between Johto/Sinnoh -> Unova completely eliminated. Unironically, they're the only three regions not yet represented in the Megaverse, so this should come as no surprise.

Anyways, the new timeline thanks to the new information, goes something like this:

LGPE/ORAS -3 years-> Johto remake/Sinnoh remake/Unova1 remake -2 years-> Unova 2 remake/XY -2 years-> SM/USUM

Last edited:
It IS just concept art though, concept meaning it's not necessarily final.

Yet you brought concept art discussion into your original post.

Grimsley in the Alola games is stated to be 2 years older than his last appearance, which would be BW2, which is supposed to take place alongside XY, which is confirmed by Sina and Dexio to take place two years before the Alola games.

Even if it is concept art, we're still using it for discussion, and it's the only way we found out the gap between Unova 2/Kalos & Alola (and now Mina's age in LGPE).

I don't think the games ever mention how long ago Red, Blue, and Green started their journeys, but for LGPE to move up, that would move Johto up, and then the timeline gets REALLY funky because we have next to no parallels to the Standardverse like we used to have.

While they didn't state when exactly, we do know their journeys were years before LGPE, so they could be a bit older than Mina at 15-18 while they started their journeys at 11. I stated in my post that some events can happen earlier/later in the timeline depending on which version they take (Team Rocket, Koga, etc.), while whatever group of kids still go on their journeys in their original time placement, but that really depends on if LG Johto (whenever we get it) uses new protags or not.

I have no interest in the multiverse if events are being condensed together; the timeline loses all meaning that way. I will say that it'd be more fitting if the gap between BW and B2W2/XY were eliminated, since I don't see B2W2 being remade (but rather incorporated into BW's post-game). It could look like this:

LGPE/Hoenn -(3)-> Johto/Sinnoh -(3)-> Unova/Kalos -(1)-> Alola

Unless someone in LGPE mentions other regions still catching Pokemon in the traditional way (Mina doesn't say this), we don't have proof that LGPE aren't the beginning of yet another timeline. And I wouldn't take Grimsley's concept art as gospel (or Mina's), so I reduced the last gap to 1 anyway.

Touko said:
so they could be a bit older than Mina at 15-18 while they started their journeys at 11.
They look no older than 14, and that's being generous. Compared to Mina and most of the adults, they have big heads in the concept art, which implies a younger age.

Last edited:
So basically, we have 3 timelines, with a 4th being established with Lets Go and a 5th hinted at during USUM and arguably ORAS

Timeline 1: All the OG regional games 1-7
Timeline 2: All the remakes
Timeline 3: All the third installments
Timeline 4: Lets Go timeline.
Timeline 5: We are never gonna visit this one, since the evil bosses won due to a lack of a strong trainer who could double cross him.

Conviently, every timeline starts with Kanto, since that is the region that we visited first.

nickdt said:
Most people organize them by GB/C, GBA/DS and 3DS (including remakes). You could further split these three timelines depending on the versions, but good luck doing that neatly when GB Kanto has four versions and BW lack a third version.

Timeline 5: We are never gonna visit this one, since the evil bosses won due to a lack of a strong trainer who could double cross him.
It's really a timeline for each evil boss.

So basically, we have 3 timelines, with a 4th being established with Lets Go and a 5th hinted at during USUM and arguably ORAS

Timeline 4: Lets Go timeline.

Conviently, every timeline starts with Kanto, since that is the region that we visited first.

You’re looking at this a little too hard, every game and every outcome is it’s own timeline of events, we’re just trying to broadly define what the general flow of the games is with one another.

Classicverse timeline: RBY -> GSC

Standardverse timeline. RSE/FRLG -> DPPl/HGSS -> BW -> BW2

XY is no longer part of the Standardverse timeline, Zinnia confirmed that Mega Evolution is not possible because the Ultimate Weapon was never fired in that universe.

Megaverse timeline: ORAS/LGPE -> XY -> SM/USUM (it’s honestly headcanon for which you think fits better, some fans argue it for either way).

There is a known alternate timeline or set of alternate timelines where the evil teams accomplished their goal or goals and those are the ones you fight in USUM.

Unless someone in LGPE mentions other regions still catching Pokemon in the traditional way (Mina doesn't say this), we don't have proof that LGPE aren't the beginning of yet another timeline. And I wouldn't take Grimsley's concept art as gospel (or Mina's), so I reduced the last gap to 1 anyway.
I don't see why LGPE aren't a separate universe considering that Red and Blue went on their journey much earlier than the LGPE characters, but the Pokedex wasn't developed and the Team Rocket events hadn't yet occurred.

Considering that the Mega!verse according to ORAS had technology advance faster than the standard timeline, there may have been key differences in the LGPE that made technology advance slower. The Pokedex wasn't developed until after Red and Blue's journey was complete, and considering Team Rocket taking over Silph Co. is tied to them trying to obtain the Master Ball, perhaps development of that technology was delayed as well. Not quite sure why because they clearly still have Mega Evolution, but maybe in this world the Devon Corporation didn't harness its power.

I don't see B2W2 being remade (but rather incorporated into BW's post-game)
Plot-twist: B2W2 protagonist are the lead characters in Let's Go Unova instead, following BW's plot.

The Outrage said:
I don't see why LGPE aren't a separate universe considering that Red and Blue went on their journey much earlier than the LGPE characters, but the Pokedex wasn't developed and the Team Rocket events hadn't yet occurred.
Some people think that may have happened in the Mega timeline, I guess. But your argument is convincing: The Pokedex and Master Ball should have been developed earlier in ORAS' timeline.

Can we assume that characters' ages are fixed, but events may happen earlier/later? That's the most reasonable hypothesis, but who knows with Game Freak.

I took Blue’s line about the Pokédex to mean that Oak had finally gone digital with the thing. Blue did mention that he (and Red. And Green?) scribbled notes on pen and paper, which to me sounds like a shoutout to what the Pokédex originally looked like:

upload_2018-11-30_9-35-34.jpeg

So, like, Red/Blue/Green(?) did go and fill out a version of the Pokédex. It just happened to be a very rudimentary one.

What if we have an LGverse?

I doubt it, there'd be no reason to reference Johto, Kalos, Alola with various different NPCs or Easter Eggs if that were the case. They very clearly meant to tell us that LGPE are prequels to the Alola games with Mina's appearance and all the trainers from Alola who will trade you Alolan variants.

Considering that the Mega!verse according to ORAS had technology advance faster than the standard timeline, there may have been key differences in the LGPE that made technology advance slower. The Pokedex wasn't developed until after Red and Blue's journey was complete, and considering Team Rocket taking over Silph Co. is tied to them trying to obtain the Master Ball, perhaps development of that technology was delayed as well. Not quite sure why because they clearly still have Mega Evolution, but maybe in this world the Devon Corporation didn't harness its power.

Plot-twist: B2W2 protagonist are the lead characters in Let's Go Unova instead, following BW's plot.

Some people think that may have happened in the Mega timeline, I guess. But your argument is convincing: The Pokedex and Master Ball should have been developed earlier in ORAS' timeline.

Can we assume that characters' ages are fixed, but events may happen earlier/later? That's the most reasonable hypothesis, but who knows with Game Freak.

But if ORAS is in the same slot in the timeline as LGPE, why wouldn't it make sense that both could have the Pokedex and Master Ball at the same time?

But if ORAS is in the same slot in the timeline as LGPE, why wouldn't it make sense that both could have the Pokedex and Master Ball at the same time?
Because ORAS have several references to how advanced the world is (thanks to Infinity Energy), with no indication that it's a recent change. Game Freak could have done a much better job bridging the two games if that had been their intention.

Also, while Hoenn may never get the Let's Go treatment, I'd imagine that Game Freak want to keep that option open. So it makes not to associate LGPE with ORAS.

Detective Pikachu uses the Berserk Gene in a big way, so one would think it would take place any time after or alongside GSC in some timeline.

The first Ranger game tried to connect itself to the main series, but I am not sure it was anything more than a gimmick for Manaphy. Groudon and Kyogre resting from a battle would imply that the Emerald climax happened a bit earlier.

Why PokePark? Does it even have people?

Back
Top Bottom