• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what about XY?
How much pandering was actually in XY...? I know Sun and Moon was overloaded but I can't think of what XY had that was super Kanto-y. There were maybe more Gen 1 mega evolutions? But I think that's partly because Gen 1 pokemon were very plain so their designs are more of a blank slate to work with. I know you got one of the Kanto starters- but again, megas, and they are kind of a classic starter choice.

Gen 5 and 6 are the only generations I haven't played. XD So... yeah, forgive me.

I think that was thanks to the Unova backlash.

Maybe. It may have been because it was the first full 3D game, as well.

But there is the problem, they have been thinking reasons to put Kanto in all the games:

XY - First proper 3D Pokémon main game.
SM - 20th anniversary.
USUM - Because they want to? (Last handheld-only game maybe)
Let's Go - Pokémon GO boom.
8th Generation - To please Let's Go players.
9th Generation - 25th anniversary.
10th Generation - It's the 10th generation.
11th Generation - 30th anniversary.

But seriously, I think maybe in the ninth generation they take a break from it, actually. Otherwise it would hurt too much the fanbase in the long run.

How much pandering was actually in XY...? I know Sun and Moon was overloaded but I can't think of what XY had that was super Kanto-y. There were maybe more Gen 1 mega evolutions? But I think that's partly because Gen 1 pokemon were very plain so their designs are more of a blank slate to work with. I know you got one of the Kanto starters- but again, megas, and they are kind of a classic starter choice.

Gen 5 and 6 are the only generations I haven't played. XD So... yeah, forgive me.

XY had many kanto-references as well. I think it may have been because it was the first 3D game.

Well, I kinda remember being lots of Kanto Pokémon, that girl that mentioned Blue and the S.S. Anne, Santalune Forest having the exact same map as Viridian Forest, the fact you receive one of the three Kanto starters early in the game, (might be a stretch) added an Eeveelution, megas being mostly from Kanto, the fact that Charizard and Mewtwo got two megas, Pikachu getting its anime voice again, (might be a coincidence) the fact that you fight the professor, the shorts boy, the fact someone gives you a Lapras randomly, I think I caught most of the Kanto references here, there might be more.

IIIII hope we get some more mega evolutions, regional variants, and new evos for old pokemon in Gen 8. I don't care what generation pokemon they're for, I just want more of them.

Tossing that out there because Kanto is a tiresome topic one way or another. XD

I remember how Masuda mentioned in BW's Iwatas Ask, that they saw DP as "the culmination" of the series to that point (ie ultimate game), and maybe that's why in DP we gained new babys and all those cross-gen evolutions.

I wish the eighth generation was seen in the same way, and that it bring us new babys, new cross-gen evolutions, new megas and new z-moves, all together too, it would be great.

IIIII hope we get some more mega evolutions, regional variants, and new evos for old pokemon in Gen 8. I don't care what generation pokemon they're for, I just want more of them.

Tossing that out there because Kanto is a tiresome topic one way or another. XD
I agree. I still remember that something similar happened to Yu-Gi-Oh! once. At first they only focused on the type of monsters that were being shown in the anime, but after people got tired of having only Xyz monsters in the packs, they brought back the other types and now they have a healthy mix of all card types, except Ritual which are still rare.

I hope something like that happened to Pokémon, too. Seeing old mechanics come back and be there with the new ones.

No Kanto Pokemon is one of the many reasons why I loved Black and White, the decision to force players to get used to the new is actually a good thing, it's that players are just so overly attached to the Pokemon they are used to using. Honestly, I liked the change and I hope they do it once again when they soft-reboot the series again.

No Kanto Pokemon is one of the many reasons why I loved Black and White, the decision to force players to get used to the new is actually a good thing, it's that players are just so overly attached to the Pokemon they are used to using. Honestly, I liked the change and I hope they do it once again when they soft-reboot the series again.
I actually liked those changes, too. Although I admit that the main reason was my hate towards a certain Pokémon... Sadly, I don't think they will do anything like that again.

That was the reason I didn't play Gen 5... I didn't like them acting like the rest of the pokemon didn't exist, and Gen 5's roster in general is just so unlikeable, to be restricted to just those pokemon is hell. I have warmed up to some of them just a little, but I still consider it the ugly generation and no amount of forcing me to play with those pokemon would change my mind. In that case, I think it's good to have some old favorites to fall back on, so those who aren't a fan of a generation's new roster can still find themselves comfortable with playing the game for whatever else it may offer- like I hear that Gen 5 had a great story, but I wouldn't know because I hated the pokemon too much to play.

i think a midpoint between new & old like gen 3 would be a good direction for gen 8 to go in. R/S was still kind of like B/W in the sense that gamefreak viewed it as sort of a soft reboot for the series (gen 1-2 were connected and they wanted to do completely new characters, location , etc unrelated to the previous 2 generations) and we got a hefty amount of new pokemon but older pokemon weren't completely ignored.

I actually feel like this is likely since let's go exists as a waypoint into the franchise for casual and lapsed fans, gamefreak might be more willing to introduce more mons without fear of intimidating people with a high amount.

Come to think of it: Most reboots that replace almost all characters are not received that well, at least at first. I just remembered that both Street Fighter III and Art of Fighting III got a lot of flack for pulling the same thing that Gen V did.

Wait, Palkia??? I can see the Serperior/Milotic connection, but I don't see Palkia and Samurott being related in any way.

So, the Alola starters also got "claimed" by an artist. At this point I feel like I'm going to start laughing like an idiot if one of the debunked starters ends up being real.
Dialga I meant...

Attachments

• 3E56A27E-829F-4B42-AC4E-C73B67F30A69.jpeg
    3E56A27E-829F-4B42-AC4E-C73B67F30A69.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 54
Well get Johto Pandering until we are tired of Johto... Then go back to Kanto...

Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee is getting a lot of $$$, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing (It brings people in because of its ties to Go, it’s actually a pretty smart move)... However... Gamefreak could get the wrong idea. They want $$$ and if more Kanto = $$$ then they will probably go that route.

Maybe GF could rotate the Pokémon just so that you don't always see the same names every game? I mean, a game without Zubat or Magikarp is not going to kill them.

I am afraid we're going to see the pokemon with mega evolutions in every single game from here to eternity. I mean a lot of the pokemon they added to USUM were pokemon that got megas (larvitar, mareep, heracross, pinsir etc etc) I would hate if that were to be the criteria for inclusion in newer games and let those that don't have megas rot in their old games

Last edited:
Well get Johto Pandering until we are tired of Johto... Then go back to Kanto...

Let’s Go Pikachu/Eevee is getting a lot of $$$, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing (It brings people in because of its ties to Go, it’s actually a pretty smart move)... However... Gamefreak could get the wrong idea. They want $$$ and if more Kanto = $$$ then they will probably go that route.
Don't give them ideas. I don't want a Paper Mario situation here. Or an Enter the Dragonfly one.

EDIT:

I am afraid we're going to see pokemon with mega evolutions in every single game from here to eternity. I mean a lot of the pokemon they added to USUM where pokemon that got megas (larvitar, mareep, heracross, pinsir etc etc) I would hate if that were to be the criteria for inclusion in newer games and let those that don't have megas rot in their old games

I'm not against the fact that they include Pokémon with megas in every game, just don't make them the same five Pokémon always. I don't know where you got that from my message. I misread your comment. Ignore this.

Last edited:
I think every Generation should get equal representation in the new games. Or at least, less Gen 1 pandering. Making the classics too much of a cash cow is not always a good idea. We explored Kanto in the first four generations in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom